forgot my atm number / pin code , what do i do ?

If you're on your way to Thailand let's hope that your bank account is in Thailand. In order to get a new ATM card with a new pin number you nomally have to go back to the branch that your account is with, not just any branch.

Edited by wayned
  • Like 1

New pin or new card is a painless over the counter procedure at any Bangkok Bank Branch,

Just for completeness ...with bankok bank ebanking....lost pin for ebanking can be done at atm (with sms confirmation to your registered phone) number needs a form submitted through the bank..,.one will be sent to your registered email and the other to your registered phone in about 4 days.

I did this with my out of the country credit card , and (american express) and online sort of live speaker over internet , sent a one time pin# to use immediately , and sent my pin# to my mailing address and had family receive it ...... Whew ! Solved my immediate problem , ......in thai above post is good info and if you have online banking , they give u a phone # to address this situation!! dont worry be happy!

post-167617-0-59079500-1384313352_thumb.

Edited by Wimbledon

My wife had an issue with her ATM Pin number recently as she had received a new one but we lost the number before she got round to changing it as we were overseas without using for a while. She made 3 failed attempts and the card was blocked.

By calling the credit card customer service helpline they could unblock the card so the PIN could be used again for another 3 attempts. So if you have any idea what the Pin number is you could have 3 more guesses.

After that she had to get a new pin and a new card issued. We asked our relationship manager to send a messenger to our condo with the forms to order a new card. Signed them and sent them back for the messenger to deliver - next day or day after I think.

For some reason, whenever we get a new card, we have to get a new PIN, and they can't issue a new card with the existing PIN number

Cheers

Fletch :)

I would also suggest you get yourself one of the password programs that stores this data in an encrypted format "in the cloud".

Then you have a place for all your card numbers, their pins, exp dates, along with all the logins for your online banking, brokerage accounts, etc. I use this for my email accounts, social network accounts, online retailers, tech accounts, server logins, etc. Over 40 some accounts now - all with unique passwords.

I can access these passwords from my desktop, tablet or phone, anywhere in the world via wi-fi. Passwords are nearly all 20+ random characters, numbers and symbols. I don't have to remember any of them - I just need to access the "vault", copy the password displayed as '********************' and paste into the password field. You can also see what your user name is if you can't remember these. The only place this doesn't work is logging in to Bualuang Banking - I have to display the password in plain text and type it in - no pasting allowed. C'mon Bangkok Bank - fix it!

(and I'm not stupid - I keep a regularly refreshed backup copy of the file in another place I can access any time if necessary - cloud or no cloud.)

I don't have to remember any of my passwords or userids anymore - way easier than staring at a keyboard going "now what was that....???"

• Like 1

I would also suggest you get yourself one of the password programs that stores this data in an encrypted format "in the cloud".

Then you have a place for all your card numbers, their pins, exp dates, along with all the logins for your online banking, brokerage accounts, etc. I use this for my email accounts, social network accounts, online retailers, tech accounts, server logins, etc. Over 40 some accounts now - all with unique passwords.

I can access these passwords from my desktop, tablet or phone, anywhere in the world via wi-fi. Passwords are nearly all 20+ random characters, numbers and symbols. I don't have to remember any of them - I just need to access the "vault", copy the password displayed as '********************' and paste into the password field. You can also see what your user name is if you can't remember these. The only place this doesn't work is logging in to Bualuang Banking - I have to display the password in plain text and type it in - no pasting allowed. C'mon Bangkok Bank - fix it!

(and I'm not stupid - I keep a regularly refreshed backup copy of the file in another place I can access any time if necessary - cloud or no cloud.)

I don't have to remember any of my passwords or userids anymore - way easier than staring at a keyboard going "now what was that....???"

Not only your bank. I have found a number of financial institutions that won't allow you to copy and paste which can make long passwords a real pain.

Allowing someone to past a password and user name decreases the security of the site considerably. In simple terms it allows programs to be used to run automated attacks on the site by using lists of possible logins and passwords. I am sure you would be the first to complain if all your money disapeared through this.

If you're on your way to Thailand let's hope that your bank account is in Thailand. In order to get a new ATM card with a new pin number you nomally have to go back to the branch that your account is with, not just any branch.

Yes, many things can only be handled at the ORIGINAL bank branch. Should be no problem.

can you post your credit card number with 3 digits on the back here, oh also your address and perhaps some of the members can help you?

Why do we have these new posters who appear to think they are a cut above others and the innocent mistakes they make ?... then follow up with smart-arse replies announcing to the forum their idiotic arrival in Thai Cyberspace...

...If you've nothing constructive or good to offer, why even bother posting such rubbish mmh8 ?

----------------

On Topic:

Op: IF your bank account is based in Thailand you should be able to go into your Bank, any main branch should be OK (I'm not sure if you can do this in a smaller branch, i.e. one in a supermarket such as tesco's or a shopping mall).

With your Passport as ID and your Bank Book acquiring a replacement card with a new pin should be a simple and painless procedure. The new card may cost you a couple of hundred Baht.

"Why do we have these new posters who appear to think they are a cut above others ..."

Presumably your comment applies equally to all the relentless Thai bashers ... many of whom are certainly not "new posters" ... who seem to feel they are innately superior to the local population? Certainly some of the "humor" falls flat, but so does the censoriousness of the holier-than-thou pontificators.

I suppose those who rush forward to dispense advice, a good deal of which is useless or wrong, are just as guilty of feeling they are a cut above others.

The first thing that comes to mind to me would be go to the bank with the passbook and your passport and explain the problem to them. This just seems like common sense.

. Even if your card is from another country this is the way to go I have done it.

The first thing that comes to mind to me would be go to the bank with the passbook and your passport and explain the problem to them. This just seems like common sense.

Wow that's a great Idea, go to the Bank...yeh---now while I have all your attention, about those shoe laces ----is it right over left, or is left first

Edited by oxo1947

can you post your credit card number with 3 digits on the back here, oh also your address and perhaps some of the members can help you?

This must be the most irresponsible post for a long time. There are people on here whose knowledge of financal matters is not as good as others and they may actually post those details because they might assume they're among "friends".

Of course it may not be irresponsible, it may be an actual attempt to defraud the poster.

Surprised it hasn't been deleted yet.

Allowing someone to past a password and user name decreases the security of the site considerably. In simple terms it allows programs to be used to run automated attacks on the site by using lists of possible logins and passwords. I am sure you would be the first to complain if all your money disapeared through this.

That's not how they break into accounts - brute force does not work unless someone is really naive in setting up their site security. Most sites will only accept a few incorrect logins and then put a temporary lock on the account login.

Most passwords are hacked when the hackers break in and steal large password files. They use 'off-line' servers to match known hash strings against what they find in the password file. (the userid is usually a plain text entry.) It's usually stupid passwords they find such as '1234567890' or 'password' or 'letmein' or any number of known strings, or common dictionary words or shorter words with a number or two added.

Additionally, with respect to the security of pasting passwords; there's any number of programs that simulate the typing of letters into input fields on forms - so all you have to do is feed your userID and passwords to such programs. Being able to paste login credentials into a browser form is no less secure than using a program to type it in. Selenium is one such example of a tool that simulates keyboard entries - its a website testing tool that you can add to Firefox as an add-on. Its not for hacking into someones private accounts - its for testing websites - but its basic function is similar to all you have to do to automate your hacking efforts.

There's also challenge questions they have to get past, as well as 2-step authorization (pin #'s sent to your registered phone via SMS, or messages sent to your phone alerting you to successful logins).

Edited by qdinthailand

Same. Read this and thought, "Go the bank with the card and passport" They shouldn't have to re-issue or anything.

Depends on a number of things. First of all what bank is it and where is the account held? If it is in any of G7 countries the fact is that they will issue you a new card that you can then activate and get/set a new PIN code. HOWEVER... they will send this to you through the mail to ONLY the address on your account! In the old days you could get such mail through your embassy and or via an American Express office in the country you are in. But gone are those days. You could ask them to send the items to you via Federal Express or DHL (that you pay for... setting up an account with them is easy online with a credit card... if you have one) but be ready for them to say that they cannot do that for "security reasons"). The sure way to do it is to have someone pick up your the new card and activate it (say a family member you trust) and send it to you the same way.

I have never heard of any Western bank doing it any other way. But, you never know they might take pity on you and understand that life does not revolve around their policies... yea... good luck with that one! This has happened to an old girlfriend of mine in Cambodia a couple of years back and she had to wait until her mother picked up her mail and forwarded it on to her in PNH. We were there waiting for 2 weeks thank you. Though Fed Ex made the delivery door to door in 3 days. That was Nat West by the way. The PIN number took 10 minutes on the phone with them to set. So in the end it was all done

But call they bank and explain it all to them. They might have a method that they do not advertise and certainly it will not be the first time that they have heard such a story. Just hold your ground and be firm to a point and see what happens. Sorry that you are in this state of limbo and I wish I could have supplied better and more hopeful information. But in this day of security checks.... well I wish you all the luck in the world!