Buying a 250 motocycle, your suggestions?

Belamar

what's the difference between cbr250, cbr250r and cbr250rr, which one should I choose?

The Cbr250 is the common name for the single cylinder Thai made bike available. It is actually called Cbr250r but that and the RR is also the name of a 4 cylinder bike from the 90's. You cannot buy these new now. Much is the pity smile.png

So you can only buy the single cylinder 250 new. Although early next year there will be a new 300cc Cbr. Personally if buying new I would wait. If buying 2nd hand .go for one now and enjoy the cool season.

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

I'm renting a cbr250R now, it's new. Why isn't it called cbr250 then?

Thank F*+k for that...Hope you still have your passport :)

So now you have sat on one, what are your thoughts ??

• Like 1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many liters does it eat per 100 km on average?

Come on your taking the piss now, fill the tank full by putting the fuel stuff in that you get at a petrol station.

Zero the trip meter and work it out. whistling.gif

• Like 1

i get a consistent 75 kilometers per 100 baht of 91 gasohol.

sometimes i get 85 kilos if i keep my chain well lubed and tire pressure in check.

a full tank i get 275 kilos, going fast 150kph and above will net me 220 kilos....this is when the fuel light starts blinking, ive only ever ridden 25 kilos with the light blinking, so i know that it atleast goes that much further.

How many liters does it eat per 100 km on average?

Come on your taking the piss now, fill the tank full by putting the fuel stuff in that you get at a petrol station.

Zero the trip meter and work it out. whistling.gif

No, you fill my motorcycle. And I'll measure how many liters are required for 100 km and post the result here on the forum.

sometimes i get 85 kilos if i keep my chain well lubed and tire pressure in check.

a full tank i get 275 kilos, going fast 150kph and above will net me 220 kilos....this is when the fuel light starts blinking, ive only ever ridden 25 kilos with the light blinking, so i know that it atleast goes that much further.

Are you saying that you are doing +150kph on a CBR 250 ? What did you do to it ? And you are doing it on 91 gasohol....

Are you saying that you are doing +150kph on a CBR 250 ? What did you do to it ? And you are doing it on 91 gasohol....

yes any CBR 250 can do that....yes gasohol 91...top speed ive reached has been 174 kph speedo indicated...with Rosso 2 tires, Im running IZ003 tires now and they are a bit heavier and top speed is down to 167kph...speedo indicated.

But you have to be in a full crouch and pin the throttle a few kilometers.

yes any CBR 250 can do that....yes gasohol 91...top speed ive reached has been 174 kph speedo indicated...with Rosso 2 tires, Im running IZ003 tires now and they are a bit heavier and top speed is down to 167kph...speedo indicated.

Well done... I can see on youtube that several people are getting theese speeds out of it. I bought one when it was first introduced here in Thailand a couple of years ago. I never got it above 145 kph - maybe it's just too much good food and no crouching. I changed from gasohol to benzene, and I felt it gave a much better sound and form the engine - and definately more km/liter. Anyway I sold after 6 months and have been driving Ninja since...

Edited by Ninja4me

what's the difference between cbr250, cbr250r and cbr250rr, which one should I choose?

I think you need a live-in helper...

Do you have issues getting dressed in the morning !!!

Just buy a bike and get out on it.

555 Just what I was thinking....but was too nice to say it!

Procrastination is a curable disease! :D

Well done... I can see on youtube that several people are getting theese speeds out of it. I bought one when it was first introduced here in Thailand a couple of years ago. I never got it above 145 kph - maybe it's just too much good food and no crouching. I changed from gasohol to benzene, and I felt it gave a much better sound and form the engine - and definately more km/liter. Anyway I sold after 6 months and have been driving Ninja since...

yeah its very sensitive to the little things, tire pressure, chain lube, engine oil, air filter....you have to keep on top of all of those or else it will run like crap.

• Like 1

Whichever one I choose, what guys do recommend me to pay attention to when I'm buying it? That is to say, what necessary documents must it have, which parts of the motorcycle do I have to pay attention to especially more carefully, etc?

Just buy my bike and be done with it at least someone will be using it. biggrin.png

Seriously though...I'm not sure if you know what you want.

CBR was great for two people, but I could not stand the single cynlinder engine breaking...it drove me insane, so I got a ninja. As well as the sound, it sounds like a scooter. But that's secondary.

I love my Ninja, but just don't use it anymore, so the only reason I'm getting rid of it is because it's pointless having it just sitting there.

If you are thinking of a second hand Ninja, let me know, if you're going to go with the CBR, there are heaps second hand around.

Either way, you'll be pretty happy.

You say that you like the Kwaker.

Why not buy what you like?

I've always bought and ridden bikes that I liked, Not necessarily what others liked but I've never regretted a choice, The most unreliable bike I ever had was a Triumph Trident, but I wouldn't trade a day of my ownership.

The best bike you can ride is the one your ass is parked on.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

There both great bikes from 1990 up even carby versions my 1993 zzr(ninja)clocks 160kmh with me 109kg and is at 85,000kmh,mods baffles removed drilled carby jets and pod filter so you want what exactly from a bike.post-193727-13861213900675_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think you need a live-in helper...

Do you have issues getting dressed in the morning !!!

Just buy a bike and get out on it.

555 Just what I was thinking....but was too nice to say it!

Procrastination is a curable disease! biggrin.png

can i just cure it later?

• Like 1

I wonder, why are people saying cbr250 is better because it allows to carry a passenger? I just was carried as a passenger on ninja 250.

My guess would be that there are many more CBR owners on ere than Ninja 250.biggrin.png

Yes, poor man's choicewink.png

I wonder, why are people saying cbr250 is better because it allows to carry a passenger? I just was carried as a passenger on ninja 250.

Think it has to do with comfort level of passenger and the added torque the CBR offers.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Myself, looking at the CBR 250..but then the CBR 300 and CBR 500 are in the mix.. I like the power and to just ride about. However, the big one.. how do you convince the wife to let you buy another motorcycle...5555whistling.gif

Myself, looking at the CBR 250..but then the CBR 300 and CBR 500 are in the mix.. I like the power and to just ride about. However, the big one.. how do you convince the wife to let you buy another motorcycle...5555whistling.gif

If she's paying for it then a problem, if she is not then...............................intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi

My baht but she has me by the short and curlies...wai.gif

Think it has to do with comfort level of

passenger and the added torque the CBR offers.

The ninja has more torque but doesnt rev as high and 12-12/5 compression rate and the cbr has slightly higher torque but maxes out later there both 250cc and 16valve besides 2 and 4cyl the ninja will be applying its power more quicker and abruptly instead of more linear and higher revs up top with a cbr so if anything get the cheapest out there you can get because there aint much in performance differences just different rev range powerbands.

Edited by stedyedy

The ninja has more torque at lower rev max and 12-12/5 compression rate and the cbr has slightly higher torque at a later rev max there both 250cc and 16valve besides 2 and 4cyl the ninja will be applying its power more quicker and abruptly instead of more linear and to higher revs with a cbr so if anything get the cheapest out there you can get because there aint much in performance differences just different rev range powerbands which you can optimise through gearing setups.

Edited by stedyedy

The ninja has more torque but doesnt rev as high and 12-12/5 compression rate and the cbr has slightly higher torque but maxes out later there both 250cc and 16valve besides 2 and 4cyl the ninja will be applying its power more quicker and abruptly instead of more linear and higher revs up top with a cbr so if anything get the cheapest out there you can get because there aint much in performance differences just different rev range powerbands.

As the poster was asking about the 250 bikes I was comparing the Ninja 250R's torque against the CBR 250's. Attempting to make sense of the jumble of words in your post hurt my head...but the mass of incorrect information is really bad.

The Ninja 250 does NOT have more torque (first you say "ninja has more torque" and then you say "cbr has slightly higher torque"). Peaks around 13.3 versus the CBR's 16.1...or only 83%. The Ninja 250 does NOT have a lower rev than the CBR (you said "The ninja has more torque but doesnt rev as high"). The CBR does NOT have a it's powerband higher in the RPM curve than the Ninja; it reaches max torque at 7000 RPM versus the Ninja's peak at 9600 RPM (you said "cbr...maxes out later "). The CBR, being a single, has 4 valves; the Ninja, being a twin, has 8 valves. Pick one or both of the bikes and you will NOT find 16 valves (side by side you would only have 12 valves; you said "there both 250cc and 16valve").

Basically, other than getting the names correct, your whole post was wrong. Remember, friends don't let friends post when intoxicated.

P.S.

I took the liberty of overlaying the CBR250R, Ninja 250R and the Ninja 300R's torque curves on the attachment.

post-27441-0-37024300-1386456720_thumb.j

• Like 2

As the poster was asking about the 250 bikes I was comparing the Ninja 250R's torque against the CBR 250's. Attempting to make sense of the jumble of words in your post hurt my head...but the mass of incorrect information is really bad.

The Ninja 250 does NOT have more torque (first you say "ninja has more torque" and then you say "cbr has slightly higher torque"). Peaks around 13.3 versus the CBR's 16.1...or only 83%. The Ninja 250 does NOT have a lower rev than the CBR (you said "The ninja has more torque but doesnt rev as high"). The CBR does NOT have a it's powerband higher in the RPM curve than the Ninja; it reaches max torque at 7000 RPM versus the Ninja's peak at 9600 RPM (you said "cbr...maxes out later "). The CBR, being a single, has 4 valves; the Ninja, being a twin, has 8 valves. Pick one or both of the bikes and you will NOT find 16 valves (side by side you would only have 12 valves; you said "there both 250cc and 16valve").

Basically, other than getting the names correct, your whole post was wrong. Remember, friends don't let friends post when intoxicated.

P.S.

I took the liberty of overlaying the CBR250R, Ninja 250R and the Ninja 300R's torque curves on the attachment.

http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif cbr250_ninja250_ninja_300 torque.JPG

Yea i was refering to something else that i posted somewhere else that was muddled up here dont think anyone really cares at the end of the day because proof is that the ninja is just as good a bike as the cbr in which my freind owns and we race all the time and yip Ive ridden one funny how you get pedantic people on these forums crunching numbers ono here comes captain obvious. Edited by stedyedy

If she's paying for it then a problem, if she is not then...............................intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi

My baht but she has me by the short and curlies...wai.gif

Time for a brazilian?biggrin.png

You guys are all so nice for helping this OP pick a bike. However his budget (that he told me he could buy my Ninja for) only allows for a second hand CBR250. As ninja's are still more expensive second hand, his budget won't get close to the second hand (few years old) price of a Ninja.

Hence for him, it's a bit of a moot choice. Since your budget allows for a CBR go with the second hand CBR and be done with it. Don't pine over choices when your budget doesn't allow for it. We all need to work to a budget, the CBR will be a fine bike for the money you have to spend. smile.png

Yea i was refering to something else that i posted somewhere else that was muddled up here dont think anyone really cares at the end of the day because proof is that the ninja is just as good a bike as the cbr in which my freind owns and we race all the time and yip Ive ridden one funny how you get pedantic people on these forums crunching numbers ono here comes captain obvious.

Pedantic would be pointing out that referring has two 'r' in it, don't has an apostrophe, friend has the 'i' before the 'e' and I've is also missing an apostrophe.

There was no pedantry in my reply to your post that failed to answer a single question from this thread correctly. If I wasn't bemused by your original attempt to counter my post, I would simply state that you are woefully ignorant about the bikes in question and attempting to project an image of technical competence that is as misleading as your post...but that wouldn't be very nice of me so I won't.