Help me throw a first birthday!..

krisb

Ok so it's my daughters first birthday on December 24. Thought we would have a party, more so for the parents (us), for making it through the first year of mayhem, but also combine it with Christmas, the best time of year imo. So we put the list together, family, friends, and the numbers about 30. Not massive, but there's a few. Now money's not that tight, but we don't want to just waste it either. It would be nice to add a bit of something to the birthday/festive season mix...

So...some help with throwing a party would be nice.

Need to feed everyone, what would you do?

Drinks?

Theme?

Throw your best ideas on the table!

:)

Welllll...I hate to state the obvious....but here goes...

Have a "Thai" theme

Hire some girls who dress up in the traditional Thai costumes to serve drinks and snacks.....(and maybe they put on a Thai dancing show later)

Have food buffet style.....have your favorite restaurant cater it.

And booze...that's the easy part ....just have plenty of it....!!!

Music....hire a traditional local Thai group to play for the afternoon or evening ....

Sorry to be so obvious ....but have a great time and Happy Birthday to your daughter!!!!

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

Skip the Thai theme ... do a traditional Christmas theme. You will thus stand out against the upcoming new years parties. Make eggnog. wear a santa outfit. ;p find a snow machine ...

Absolutely not.

There must a definition between Christmas and birthday when they fall so close.

totster smile.png

Not for a 1 year old .... :)

my daughter was born a few hours before midnight on the 24th Dec too, what you need to do is seperate her birthday from christmas day as it tends to just become a bit much as they grow. We usually held her birthday a week or 2 before so they were seperate plus so her school friends could also attend then just had a family day for her birthday. The big thing is enjoy it while she is young because as they grow it definitely changes, hope she has a great day and remember, it is her day not yours, you have to make sure she is the one that enjoys it by doing things for her not the adults. You guys can enjoy yourselves after she is asleep because she has had such a wonderful bithday and is absolutely worn out from all the enjoyment.

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

Skip the Thai theme ... do a traditional Christmas theme. You will thus stand out against the upcoming new years parties. Make eggnog. wear a santa outfit. ;p find a snow machine ...

Absolutely not.

There must a definition between Christmas and birthday when they fall so close.

totster smile.png

Not for a 1 year old .... smile.png

Why not ? Start as you mean to go on.

totster :)

Yes she will be 1 on the 24th.

I agree to keep her birthday and Christmas separate is a good idea. My brother's gf is the 26th dec and she always felt hard done by cause the presents got wrapped into 1 day. Unfortunately we will be in Australia for it, so not much choice for Thai dancers or snow machines! It's a milestone in my eyes, so I shall endeavour to put on a great party.

Feel free to keep the ideas rolling in, I appreciate your thoughts so far!

Remember Thai folk have noooooooooo idea what Christmas is, some know it is a farang ''Buddha'' day thumbsup.gif , other than that, they know nothing, it is a farang day. smile.png

My wife has no idea of the meaning but she has put a presant list in already. Her birthday is the 27th december to top it off.

Remember Thai folk have noooooooooo idea what Christmas is, some know it is a farang ''Buddha'' day thumbsup.gif , other than that, they know nothing, it is a farang day. smile.png

My wife has no idea of the meaning but she has put a presant list in already. Her birthday is the 27th december to top it off.

sad.png , sorry to hear that.............laugh.png

If the child is 1 ... is the party for the baby or the parents?

Theme for a child's 1 year old party ???

Be honest, if it's for the parents fine, good face and all that, but please, it's not about the child ... and I'm sure it's a beautiful child.

You Need WEEGEE the magnificent, and his sidekick transam to take care of your "Double" birthday.....cheesy.gif

Now that would be a party !!!!!!!! to remember....

Go with the gut feeling on this and it will be a winner...........good luck.

I think it's her 2nd Birthday actually ...

'Ok so it's my daughters first birthday on December 24.'

how do you figure that ?

Maybe JM means this...

The day she was born - 1st Birthday

One year later - 2nd Birthday.

(This is incorrect of course)

Eeeehh, you mean the first ANNIVERSARY of the birth..?

• Like 2

Yes she will be 1 on the 24th.

I agree to keep her birthday and Christmas separate is a good idea. My brother's gf is the 26th dec and she always felt hard done by cause the presents got wrapped into 1 day. Unfortunately we will be in Australia for it, so not much choice for Thai dancers or snow machines! It's a milestone in my eyes, so I shall endeavour to put on a great party.

Feel free to keep the ideas rolling in, I appreciate your thoughts so far!

I was stressed from doing research for work, so took a break and looked at some things around this topic.

What I found out was predictable to me.

1) Kids that young are not social critters.

2) Kids that young won't remember the event the next year.

3) Kids that are really at the socializing stage with other kids may actually enjoy parties with their peers present, BUT not all kids are like that.

If you are in Oz then the idea of X-mas will become apparent. The initial explanation can be as simple as. "in our culture we tend not to give gifts on New Years, we do it on Christmas.

As far as snow machines go ....??? Most in Oz are actually foam machines that are not worth considering :)

:

• Like 1

1) Kids that young are not social critters.

2) Kids that young won't remember the event the next year.

3) Kids that are really at the socializing stage with other kids may actually enjoy parties with their peers present, BUT not all kids are like that.

So the conclusion is that one of objectives of a birthday at this age is to document the event and make it possible for the subject to experience and enjoy the day in question at an age where this can be digested.

Rent chairs, table and a tent. Put it in front of your house. Block of the street for a couple of days no big problem TIT. Have the ladies decorate the tent the night before with balloons and whatever theme you decide on. And have it catered. These instructions for Thailand only as it's cheap here.

Yes, a 1st birthday is not really for the kid, its for the parents and any older kids you may have. It is important to simply document it and usually the cake and all that is sufficient.

As they get older, more creative.

We have had clowns attend and magicians...all goes over great with the kids and also hired jumping castles and blocked off the road. All this is easy to do and cheap in Los, not really in the west but.

I think it's her 2nd Birthday actually ...

'Ok so it's my daughters first birthday on December 24.'

how do you figure that ?

Two parties........intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi

1 for the kids and 1 for the adults,,,where are you based ???,, think I'm free that weekend smile.png

intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi

I think a 1 year old, or 2 year old if you apply the Thai system will not be aware or care too much providing she gets full attention. Just make sure she has a cake with candles, and plenty of food and booze for the guests. Regarding Christmas. My foster son still believes in Santa and he is twelve. He plays his Polar Express video just prior to Christmas every year. I just hope he stops believing before he reaches adulthood. There again, some of us still do. Have a good party.clap2.gif