Box for watching ITV Choice on internet ?

MrMuddle

I enquired at my local satellite supplier about the possibility of getting ITV Choice on our CTH package. We saw it at a hotel we stayed at in Bangkok and would like it here in Phetchabun.
The supplier rang us this afternoon to offer us a box, as the channel is not available on satellite. This box will let us watch ITV Choice and other UK channels, over the internet.
The cost of this box is 8500 baht, which includes 1 years subscription fees, which apparently go down to around 4000 baht a year in the second year. He has offered to install the box for a few days so that we can try it.
My internet package is with True move 3G, which to be honest is hopeless, it's really slow at the moment , and has been for a week, despite my complaints to them. I also only have a 5 Gb maximum monthly download with True.
Will this box work ? Has anyone else experience of this, as my internet / computer knowledge is very limited.
Will it use up all of my download capacity, or are there other suppliers who give higher monthly downloads?
Is this an expensive solution ? I don't mind paying if it works, but I don't want to be ripped off.
Any advice welcome, thanks in advance.

Dont bother with the box ,too expensive, just check out

UKTV-asia, they offer all ITV channels,all BBC plus others

live from UK to stream to your computer,then to your TV

With their player (free) you can record,go back 7 days,

I have just taken a years subscription and cost works out

at Bht 312 p.m. which is very good value I think,for 15

channels.

Google uktv-asia you can also have a free trial of some

channels . forget the box,you don't need it

Regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Though I never watch it, you can watch ITV Choice for nothing on ilikehd web site.

For ITV on demand (current programing) just use Hola to watch anything on ITV Player. This can all be done on a PC or an Android box costing around 1600THB to plug into a TV.

As for running it on 3G service, good luck with that. I am using DTAC 3G but need to top up every week or less as 1GB streaming data gets eaten up quickly. Only really suitable for fixed line ADSL etc.

• Like 2

Sadly, with any of those you're going to kill your 3G in a few hours.

We have TOT WiNet as we have no landline available, works well 7Mb/512kb 800 Baht a month unlimited, True and AiS have similar WiMax offerings, worth enquiring.

I use UK-TV Asia, works very well even on poor connections, worth every penny.

• Like 2

Hi,

For what it is worth, our Condo units on Pattanakarn Road - Soi 51 are just being connected to a Fibre Optic Supply to each Unit.

Whilst the new FO cables are being fed up to and then into the subscribing Units, the Company and JP has replaced the old Free Supply 20 plus Analogue Channels with a 60 Channel Package from CTH using the old previous cable supply.

This initial 60 channel package which is "free" includes IPM, Universal, SYFY, Sony, itv Choice and CTH Travel which are all English speaking.

The final FO Digital package has 120 channels with one free Box and will cost circa 100B per month with Options for additional packages with UK/Europe Football including EPL.

But we do not yet have the option for BBC World News - really need that channel option, as the lack of intelligent News Coverage in Thailand is a difficult pill to accept.

Perhaps CTH could get you itv Choice on your package.

Agree with "worgeordie" about not having the 8500B Box - appears to be a rip-off.

Edited by Rimmer
Please DO NOT post in non standard fonts thank you
  • Like 2

Thanks to all for replies and advice. I don't have a computer with a HDMI port, so I'm hoping to be able to try out the UKTV player on my laptop, save a programme to hard disk and watch it on my TV, (via the USB connection), to see if it will work that way.
Unfortunately my Truemove 3g is STILL at under 300 kbps, so I'll have to wait to try it out.
I'm also hoping I can get TOT WiNet in Phetchabun.

Thanks to all for replies and advice. I don't have a computer with a HDMI port, so I'm hoping to be able to try out the UKTV player on my laptop, save a programme to hard disk and watch it on my TV, (via the USB connection), to see if it will work that way.

Unfortunately my Truemove 3g is STILL at under 300 kbps, so I'll have to wait to try it out.

I'm also hoping I can get TOT WiNet in Phetchabun.

Another option, if you use the Chrome browser, is to download their ZENMATE extension. This will give you a choice of virtual IP addresses, including one for the UK (without all that crap that comes with Expat Shield, etc). It runs in the background onChrome automatically, without any problems. You can then watch all the various UK i-players for free. Like Crossy I also use TOT's Wi-net and It works really well, no buffering etc at all.

At the moment Zenmate is completely free but I've been told google might charge sometime in the future.

Of course your 5gig limit on 3G still won't go far unfortunately.

Personally I will still use UKTV for my main viewing because of the ease of use. All the channels and 'program menus' in one place (no swapping between i-players or looking up the RT, etc), no delays in showing some programs (BBC's i-player always delays Match of the Day by several days, for example) and the permanent record facility that's available on UKTV (again, BBC's i-player deletes recordings after 30 days). But on the plus side, the i-players archives go back much more than one week.

• Like 1

Heres a handy app. I found lets you change your DNS setting easily and quickly

it already has a list of 40 DNS included, you can add your own,and its free and

only a small download, its called DNS jumper, just google it of go to Snapfiles.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1