Thai govt denies approving budget for tapping phone conversation of demonstrators

webfact

Govt denies approving budget for tapping phone conversation of demonstrators

BANGKOK, 14 November 2013 (NNT) - Deputy Government Spokesperson Sunisa Lertpakawat has denied the rumor that the government is planning to monitor phone conversations of demonstrators.

Lt Sunisa reassured the public during a press conference that the cabinet’s recent approval of the allocation of a 104-billion-baht budget for the Royal Thai Police was only to support the upgrade of the police communication system from the digital radio to digital trunk radio system.

The deputy spokesperson explained that the move was also to ensure confidentiality of information exchange among the police, rather than to tap into demonstrators’ conversations as rumored.

The clarification was made to stop the rumor that the government was trying to invade the privacy of the demonstrators.

According to Lt Sunisa, this new system will be applied to the whole country, not specifically to Bangkok where demonstrations are taking place. Documents regarding this budget allocation are readily available for the public to ensure transparency.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-11-14 footer_n.gif

I'm sure the police and telcos have all the gear they need for phone taps already.

Here is the Answer-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/660371-freedom-of-expression-thai-police-seek-to-check-line-posts/

Pol Maj Ge Pisit Pao-in, commander of the Technology Crime Suppression Division (TCSD):

"Nowadays people use smart phones like a mobile computer. They use it to take videos, upload information, transfer money and connect to social networks. Therefore, we have to investigate information being sent via smart phones as well," he said. "If I want, I can investigate all the information on smart phones. We can investigate all the crimes done via computer systems."

Of course they deny it. What else would they do, admit it?

Yes, but if I was a Thai reporter I could say to the Thai gov., there's a rumour that your new equipment can tell you whats left in my fridge. Just because they deny it doesn't make it a rumour based on, or even remotely resembling, the truth.

It's a rumour, in a paper that fabricates stories from rumours and un-named "spokesmen" all the time.

Edited by fab4

I think they are talking a bit loud if the NSA doesn't get it all why then they should be able to? Again some more arrogancy of a BIB and threatning of the population. The complete behaviour of authorities around the globe is only to protect the rich as the resources get less and the population no. goes up! I always thaught some of the officials in the EU are not the brightest but the dumbness here is hard to topple!clap2.gif

My dear fab4,

this Government and the BiB have frequently told us of their interest in spying on dissenting members of the population, so your blanket defense is somewhat out of place.

http://www.thaivisa....tell-the-press/

You do remember PolMajGen Pisit's disastrous BS press conferences, do you?

@ Mike Oboe57 - Blanket defense was not the intention, he is trying to coax you into an argument, or agitate you.

It's what "they" do, the nature of the beast, so to speak. whistling.gif

• Like 2

My dear fab4,

this Government and the BiB have frequently told us of their interest in spying on dissenting members of the population, so your blanket defense is somewhat out of place.

@ Mike Oboe57 - Blanket defense was not the intention, he is trying to coax you into an argument, or agitate you.

At least this Govt at least try to hide it. The last Govt simply intercepted SMS's then jailed people for lese majeste for 50 years.

My dear fab4,

Very true. You might have noticed that almost all of fab4's posts are only about making smart ass comments about what people post. It seems that his only mission here on TV is to try to annoy people. Luckily most posters don't give him much attention.

I forgot what you call a poster that attacks other posters instead of contributing something to the topic.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

My dear fab4,

At least this Govt at least try to hide it. The last Govt simply intercepted SMS's then jailed people for lese majeste for 50 years.

And there was me thinking it was the police and courts that did that.. prosecute people that is.

Also WHAT intercepted SMS and what people got imprisoned.

PS: lese majeste laws are rubbish. PPS: this government try to hide EVERYTHING.

• Like 1

My dear fab4,

I assume you're talking about "Uncle SMS"?

1. He claimed he didn't send the SMS's, which were sent to Abhisit's secretary, no interception there.

2. He was jailed for 20 years. Five years per SMS.

3. He was sentenced in November 2011. Now, which government was in charge at that time?

But perhaps you are talking about a different case, and would like to share it with us?

• Like 1