Monk gets drunk over 500,000 Baht lottery loss in front of Pattaya temple

webfact

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there have been many stories of monks with bad habits (excuse the pun).

Having meet many monks who are devout and to who I have every respect, yet the seems to be those who are not, there are rules of which I only know a few.

A little research:

To undertake the training to abstain from substances which cause intoxication and heedlessness.This precept is in a special category as it does not infer any intrinsic evil in, say, alcohol itself but indulgence in such a substance could be the cause of breaking the other four precepts.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/budethics.htm

Seams the is nothing wrong with a little alcohol, but clearly this was excessive.

Food

A monk is allowed to collect, receive and consume food between dawn and midday (taken to be 12 noon). He is not allowed to consume food outside of this time and he is not allowed to store food overnight. Plain water can be taken at any time without having to be offered. Although a monk lives on whatever is offered, vegetarianism is encouraged.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhistworld/layguide.htm

It was 8am in the morning, but to be in the state he was in he must have been drinking for some time.

Sundries

As circumstances changed, the Buddha allowed monks to make use of other small requisites, such as needles, a razor, etc. In modern times, such things might include a pen, a watch, a torch, etc. All of these were to be plain and simple, costly or luxurious items being expressly forbidden.

Inappropriate Items Including Money

T.V.'s and videos for entertainment should not be used by a monk. Under certain circumstances, a Dharma video or a documentary programme may be watched. In general, luxurious items are inappropriate for a monk to accept. This is because they are conducive to attachment in his own mind, and excite envy, possibly even the intention to steal, in the mind of another person. This is unwholesome Kamma. It also looks bad for an alms mendicant, living on charity as a source of inspiration to others, to have luxurious belongings. One who is content with little should be a light to a world where consumer instincts and greed are whipped up in people's minds.

Although the Vinaya specifies a prohibition on accepting and handling gold and silver, the real spirit of it is to forbid use and control over funds, whether these are bank notes or credit cards. The Vinaya even prohibits a monk from having someone else receive money on his behalf. In practical terms, monasteries are financially controlled by lay stewards, who then make open invitation for the Sangha to ask for what they need, under the direction of the Abbot. A junior monk even has to ask an appointed agent (generally a senior monk or Abbot) if he may take up the stewards' offer to pay for dental treatment or obtain medicines, for example. This means that as far as is reasonably possible, the donations that are given to the stewards to support the Sangha are not wasted on unnecessary whims.

If a layperson wishes to give something to a particular monk, but is uncertain what he needs, he should make an invitation. Any financial donations should not be to a monk but to the stewards of the monastery, perhaps mentioning if it's for a particular item or for the needs of a certain monk. For items such as travelling expenses, money can be given to an accompanying anagarika (dressed in white) or accompanying layperson, who can then buy tickets, drinks for a journey or anything else that the monk may need at that time. It is quite a good exercise in mindfulness for a layperson to actually consider what items are necessary and offer those rather than money.

The fact that he had money to gamble, he was in Pattaya to renew his ID so he could register for welfare, why does he need welfare, monks receive alms not just food but also all the other things they need often given by people who relay need the welfare.

Edited by Basil B

Aren't they meant to forgo all worldly possessions and riches? This will be a savage awakening when the flashbacks kick in......

He drinks, he gambles. At least he doesn't fornicate.

Why do you think he's getting stocious outside the temple...?

Things are changing for monks in Thailand, and not for the better. Immigration are now questioning foreign monks coming into Thailand as to whether they have sufficient funds to support themselves. <deleted>? It's getting harder and harder to get more than a 3 month visa to stay here. More and more Thai people, including those in authority, are questioning whether monks other than Thai monks are really real monks or monk wannabe's. They seem to give the impression that only Thai's can be REAL monks and everyone else is a posser. I'm headed back to the US on Tuesday and not sure I'm coming back. I've been here for 7 years. enough is enough. sad.png

Last monk I've seen was smoking n reading on his Ipad... not to judge of course

We have 227 rules that guides our life. FYI.. smoking and reading an ipad isn't in the mix. maybe they should be, but their not.

There's also a lot of talk here about monks not supposed to be having any money. It would appear, that the Thai Sangha, the people who oversee the Buddha religion here in Thailand is changing that. Now they are slowly asking monks to have sufficient means to support themselves while wearing the robes. And yes, it makes no sense to me, but this is happening. Especially foreign monks coming into Thailand. Even the home grown variety, they are quietly questioning whether the monk to be has a family that will support him. I don't know all the facts, I just hear rumors at this temple and that one. Buddhism is slowly becoming a business, not a vocation.. Who said? "The times, they are a changing".