International school Salary

millwall_fan

Does anyone know the salary scales for any international schools in Bangkok? Salary plus housing allowance plus fringe benefits? I know the schools tend to keep this info under wraps (we're in education for the love of it, right! Salary is just a bonus!)

• Like 1

I am relatively sure that there is going to be a lot of variation from one school to the next.

It also depends on whether you are locally recruited (live in the country or SE Asia) or whether you are hired from your home country.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

75,000 Thai baht a month? That is pretty good.

Here's a question I have that is related to this topic:

I am a qualified teacher with a Bachelor's in English, a State of Hawaii Teaching Certificate, and a Master's in Education.

I saw an ad for an international school in BKK that was offering 60,000 Thai baht per month. THAT SAID, is that BEFORE taxes, or is that roughly the amount I would walk away with in my pocket per month?

Please advise.

Edited by ivan96822

American School of Bangkok just offered my friend 95k/month. Thats normal for top international schools. International schools that have all thai students give the same salary as thai private schools. About 60k/month depending in negotiation skills, CV, health plan etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"we're in education for the love of it, right! Salary is just a bonus!"

Please tell me you did not write that smile.png

I did write it, but with my tongue wedged firmly in my cheek.

So my salary isn't too bad then? I'd heard stories of guys on 120,000 per month plus 30,000 accommodation. Are these stories just the usual hyperbole?

BTW: I'm a fully qualified teacher with what the Americans call a 'teaching licence' (QTS to us Brits) and 15 years experience in UK.

"we're in education for the love of it, right! Salary is just a bonus!"

Please tell me you did not write that smile.png

I did write it, but with my tongue wedged firmly in my cheek.

So my salary isn't too bad then? I'd heard stories of guys on 120,000 per month plus 30,000 accommodation. Are these stories just the usual hyperbole?

BTW: I'm a fully qualified teacher with what the Americans call a 'teaching licence' (QTS to us Brits) and 15 years experience in UK.

Nope. The above figures are in line with some of the top schools. You need lots of experience, an MA in Education helps of course along with the usual home country certification.

ISB and NIST both pay over 200 000/month gross salary inclusive of housing allowance. They also provide a yearly bonus amounting to 10-12% of gross income. Pattana also offers a good pay package, however, not so high as these two.

When I was working at one of the int'l schools in phuket I was taking home 130 000 Baht/month net.

• 2 weeks later...

Salary ranges can be anywhere between 50k-250k, but typically would say around 70-80k baht is average overall. 90-120k for Masters. Many schools have different rates for "local hires" and those that got the job abroad.

I work for an International school in China because I cannot get anywhere close to the same salary in Thailand.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

China's salaries are dependent on qualifications. International schools range though from 15kRMB to 25kRMB. I know of a few people making 30k RMB a month but they are the exceptions.

The exchange rate is about 5 baht to 1 rmb.

Science, Calculus, Physics, Economics teachers have the most opportunities there.

American School of Bangkok just offered my friend 95k/month. Thats normal for top international schools. International schools that have all thai students give the same salary as thai private schools. About 60k/month depending in negotiation skills, CV, health plan etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

International school salaries in general:

Low teired schools- 40-70k per month

Middle teir schools- 60-100/120 per month (including housing benefits)

Top teir- 150-200+++ per month (including housing benefits)

Some schools also offer round trip air fare, shipping expenses, settling in allowance, insurance for family, yearly bonuses etc.

• Like 1

^^^^^^^

And regarding those monthly rates, is that before or after taxes?

Meaning that if a teacher is making 60,000 baht per month at a mid-tier school, is that the money he walks away with or do they TAX that 60,000 baht figure? AND IF THEY DO TAX THE 60,000 baht, HOW MUCH would he get?

^^^^^^^

And regarding those monthly rates, is that before or after taxes?

Meaning that if a teacher is making 60,000 baht per month at a mid-tier school, is that the money he walks away with or do they TAX that 60,000 baht figure? AND IF THEY DO TAX THE 60,000 baht, HOW MUCH would he get?

If the school is legitemately claiming the proper amount paid and paying taxes properly then it depends on the bracket you are in.

From my experience, if you are over 80k per month, expect to pay 20-30% in tax.

just as a matter of interest, what sort of rates are the norm in China?

It varies greatly depending on the region (as a result of cost of living). An American friend of mine was earning $4,000/month + accommodation paid for in Shanghai.

He and his wife recently moved to an international school in Bangkok. They are receiving 90k baht a month + 15k/month housing allowance (each).

Another friend of mine earns $2,500/month ($3,000+ with overtime) in a city in the south which has a very low cost of living (he is not a certified teacher).

From what I hear salaries at the top schools are on par. The difference is that in China there seem to be a hell of a lot more perks and potential for extra money, bonuses, etc.