what's less annoying, chanting or wailing

stevehaigh

i can hear praying to invisible friends in stereo at my house, Buddha to the left of me Allah to the right

to you, what's the less annoying, monotonic Buddhist chanting or Mohamed and the wailers? I'd have to go with Mohamed i think, at least its slightly musical.

• Like 1

I don't know. Can't hear either with the dogs barking.

My dogs don't like the muslim call to prayer, but don't seem to mind any buddhist chanting.

That might be one reason why dogs are not very popular in muslim religion.

Ex-GF used to live next to Christian church. Waking up to the very loud church bells on early Sunday morning while having a slight hangover was definitely one of the factors, why I don't like the religion too much.

I don't know. Can't hear either with the dogs barking.

My dogs don't like the muslim call to prayer, but don't seem to mind any buddhist chanting.

That might be one reason why dogs are not very popular in muslim religion.

I thought it was the other way around :)

I prefer the birds chirping, but even better than that is the dead silence I hear......................... until a bird chirps.

Real, almost absolute silence is actually at the same time interesting and awful. First there is the pressure in the ears and then ears start to ring.. even without tinnitus.

I prefer the birds chirping, but even better than that is the dead silence I hear......................... until a bird chirps.

Real, almost absolute silence is actually at the same time interesting and awful. First there is the pressure in the ears and then ears start to ring.. even without tinnitus.

Only time I've ever heard complete silence was in the desert and it was noisy for the reasons you state. You can hear your own blood pumping.

TBH --- I actually like both the call to prayer and chanting. I find both to be perfect reminders that I am "not in Kansas anymore."

The only noise that has really bothered me in the last 10+ years living in Thailand has been the super loud fireworks in Chiang Mai. The only reason that bothered me was that it happened all the time and hurt my dog's ears!

Ultra annoying are loudspeakers in villages, like in the Isaan, broadcasting loudly from about 7 AM on. Common complaint for farangs who followed the Thai wife to Ban in the middle of nowhere, many of them opt for having a house built a bit outside of the village.

Can't hear any religious noise where I am, apart from when they set off the fireworks.

However, the bellows of the buffalo in the early morning can be disconcerting.

The neighbourhood dogs often have a morning singsong, but I can't complain because my boys join in with their best wolf impressions.

However, the bellows of the buffalo in the early morning can be disconcerting.

Does that sound make the Scottish feel homesick?

248px-Bagpipe_performer.jpg

Edited by Guest

Ultra annoying are loudspeakers in villages, like in the Isaan, broadcasting loudly from about 7 AM on. Common complaint for farangs who followed the Thai wife to Ban in the middle of nowhere, many of them opt for having a house built a bit outside of the village.

you're right, that is worse, and in my wife's village it starts about 6am. at least that's one thing we don't have to put up with in phuket.

although on the subject of other loud annoying noises, my ex Thai neighbors on the soi behind me used to make their own Thai soap opera every day and night, you know, hysterical screaming, shouting, slapping etc. fortunately the boyfriend was hauled off by the police for selling yaabaa, so i guess we will not see him again for a while