Agressive Gmail security problem.

dddave

As an air courier, I travel...A LOT!! My destinations are often smaller airports without public Wi-Fi but I can usually find a public computer to log into my Gmail account.

Recently, Gmail has been aggressively locking me out of my account whenever I try to log in from a unknown foreign location using a public computer.

I later get an automatic Email from them saying "Someone" was trying to log onto my account from such & such a place and that access was denied because they didn't know who it was.

What is really annoying is that I am never given the chance to enter my password or given the pre-selected identity questions. There seems to be no way to bypass it and log on.

I've searched Gmail help files but can find nothing about it.

Has anybody found a workaround for this heavy handed security block?

Use a VPN. That way your country stays static. Good practice to use a VPN on a public network anyway.

Edit: Just noticed you're using public computers, not your own device on a public network.

Edited by MKAsok

Do what MJCM says. I applaud Google for protecting the rest of us from careless users who let their accounts get hijacked and used to send out spam.

Agree. Hotmail 2 step is also oke, but Yahoo 2 step sucks.

- Not possible to use an App for authentication, but only code send to your phone or answer Security Question

- Seems always to ask for the same security question

The Gmail 2-step authentication is great but will be a problem for the OP unless his phone is functional roaming at whatever locale he may be ... Ulan Bator, maybe?

Then use the Google Authenticator app, and there is no network connection needed for the phone - it just needs to be charged.

• Like 2

Someone answered the original question, but have you considered using your own phone/laptop.

Public PC's on free net in an airport would be a prime target for identity theft.

You can get global roaming data sims, or global wireless broadband thesedays.

International data roaming sim

http://www.maxroam.com/Info/Offers/Bundles.aspx

http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/wifimobileconnectivity/tp/global-wifi-service-plans.htm

• Like 1

The Gmail 2-step authentication is great but will be a problem for the OP unless his phone is functional roaming at whatever locale he may be ... Ulan Bator, maybe?

Then use the Google Authenticator app, and there is no network connection needed for the phone - it just needs to be charged.

+1 and also you get 10 (one time only) Backup codes in case your phone isn't charged.thumbsup.gif

I do NOT like giving them my cell phone number.

I would prefer a 2 step that uses 2 different passwords.

Have you ever activated 2 Step ??

Google 2 Step (can) work with your Password and a Code (2nd password) generated on your Phone (by the Authenticator App), and thus no need for a Phone Number

The Phone Number is just in case, but I have the Authenticator App installed on my Wife's phone and on my Phone (just scan the bar code once on each phone), plus I have the 10 Backup Codes printed out.

Ps: And if (during the initial setup) they still ask for a Phone Number, buy a SIM in 7/11 (39 THB) and after setup remove the Phone Number and throw away the SIM

Edit: // SpElLiNg

Edited by MJCM

Authenticator is awesome. I use it for Facebook and a few other sites as well.

I keep it on both my iPhone as well as iPad which is better than facebook's code generator which can only be installed on one instance.

Also, Google will allow you to print a sheet with some codes to keep in your pocket in case you lose your phone or don't have it handy.

Essentially authenticator is like an RSA token/device, generating a new code every 60 seconds.

Gmail lets you forward any email going into your account to another email account, and it will keep a copy or not as you wish. I have nearly all of my email routed through email then forwarded to other accounts (gmx.com is a great alternative as is Yahoo.com) that way I can use a throw-away email account whenever I have to use a "rented" computer, I don't worry very much about the throwaway account being compromised, and a similar method might be the solution to Google locking you out of your account. The forwarding feature can be set up using the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab on the "settings" page.