Suthep vows to 'eradicate Thaksin regime'

Lite Beer

All very well, apart from the fact that a majority of the Thai population voted for the Taxin family.........coffee1.gif

Well tis is patently not true and another example of the twisted spin we hear all the time. This is not a democratic government fighting for democracy. Their leader is a dictator and has hijacked the word 'democracy' and bent it to suit his own needs. Democracy is not just about elections. Elections can be manipulated as we have seen with the last election. Democracy above all is about ensuring tht the rule of law is paramount. Something the Thaksin regime do not wish to see happen. How can they be democrats? Why do they call themselves democrats? Nothing could be further from the Truth.

• Like 1

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Senator joins rally to 'eradicate Shinawatra govt'

Senator Paiboon Nititawan joined the Democrat-led protest at the Democracy Monument and urged the people to join the fight to topple the "Shinwatra government".

He told the rally that he was very proud to speak on the rally stage because the number of audience was much bigger than in any Senate meeting or joint House-Senate meeting.

He asked the protesters whether they would resolve to fight against the Shinawatra government and the people erupted in "Yes".

He said Yingluck Shinawatra government had committed grave mistakes in four policies - the rice-pledging scheme, the Bt350-billion water-management, the plan to borrow Bt2 trillion for transport deveopments, and Constitutional amendments.

"The people will fight together to bring Shinawatra government down," he told the rally.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-11-15

I thought a Senator needed to be impartial.

Why would you think that? Are Senators impartial in any country in the world, even theoretically?

They got 33% of the vote last election compared to 48% for PTP. I am guessing they would get much closer if there was an election held now.

I don't think so - I believe that idea is the result of reading excerpts from The Nation (the democratic Parties media Division) that TV posts up and talking with like minded Expats.

The locals in my neighborhood are indeed somewhat down on Ying and crowd but they would vote for PTP like they did because they feel "they have no other choice" That's about the saddest example of how little the Dems have to offer a large section of the populace. It also is based on what they have done, the Dems that is.

• Like 1

They got 33% of the vote last election compared to 48% for PTP. I am guessing they would get much closer if there was an election held now.

I don't think so - I believe that idea is the result of reading excerpts from The Nation (the democratic Parties media Division) that TV posts up and talking with like minded Expats.

The locals in my neighborhood are indeed somewhat down on Ying and crowd but they would vote for PTP like they did because they feel "they have no other choice" That's about the saddest example of how little the Dems have to offer a large section of the populace. It also is based on what they have done, the Dems that is.

There are others to vote for besides PTP and the Democrats.

Overall, I believe that PTP will get less votes and less seats, and the Democrats will get more votes and more seats, but there will also be more votes going to neither of these two parties.

There is nothing in the democratic ideal that says a government is guaranteed its full term of office if it becomes corrupt or abuses it powers of office. If a large enough number of people loose trust/faith in a government, as they do after this obviously self-serving and corrupt bill, why should they not be allowed to call for an early election?

I don't really have anything against them protesting, but i don't think they are even calling for early elections, they are simply trying to 'overthrow the regime'. I am not sure they mean having early elections, that does not quite constitute an overthrow. I don't suppose they are that keen on elections, as i presume it may be closer but I doubt they would have sufficient vote to try and form a Government. Other than waiting for their election, their choices seem limited. I expect the military would be very reticent to act unless it really was the last resort, as would many other of the bodies that could potentially cause them issues again. Any throwing out of the PTP from means other than an election i believe would probably just further increase their support, and add more credence to the stuff they talk about, Bangkok elites blah blah blah.

To get out this vicious circle, the Democrats or another party really need to win an election.

To win an election, one needs to be held. There are more ways to overthrow a regime than sending in armed thugs with their heads filled with lies.

I dont quite understand your point, are you agreeing or disagreeing. I have no idea why you are talking about armed thugs in the context of this topic. There will be an election when the current term is up, and if there is a snap election on the Democrats wishes, they will probably lose again. As i said i am not sure what you mean by your post- it seems you probably agree with what i said, but dont want to agree with a red shirt sympathizer!

All very well, apart from the fact that a majority of the Thai population voted for the Taxin family.........coffee1.gif

A few points ...

1. A lot of "the Thai population" aren't even eligible to vote, being below voting-age, or never having been able to get their Thai ID-cards.

2. A lot more, entitled to vote in 2011, didn't bother to.

3. Only 48% of those who did vote, were for PTP.

4. Many of those were IMO voting, not "for the Taxin family", but for the 'goodies' they were being promised, things like the minimum-wage or the rice-scheme or tablets-for-schoolkids, all these hopes have since been under-delivered, which would perhaps reduce their support at the next election.

So although I wouldn't disagree that Thaksin has substantial support, in certain parts of the country, I would absolutely reject your assertion that in fact "the majority of the Thai population" support his family, based on current evidence. wai2.gif

Well most of all is the handing out of 500 Baht for vote buying.

added that he now intended to overthrow the Thaksin regime.

Its great to see the worthy opposition leaders adherence to the principles of democracy biggrin.png

Go Team Yellow! - Fight Team yellow - Win Team Yellow!

But no elections because you would get creamed

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We keep getting told over and over TS is losing support, taxi drivers are changing allegiance, the Dems are getting much closer etc etc, so why the hell don't they just wait for an election instead of trying to 'overthrow the regime'? If they do it in an election there can be no ifs or buts.

Because what you are being told is just media propaganda.

You are served everyday 50% propaganda glorifying the Dems their protests aimed at overthrowing an elected governement, 40% criticizing the governement, and a timid 10% (most days even less)mentioning what the people who support the government have to say. All this makes you feel that the whole country is standing against the government, which is far from the reality.

The amnesty debate was legitimate, since there were many diverging opinions.

But now that the goal of the Dems is openly to overthrow the elected PT government, the differences about the amnesty bills on the side of the supporters of the government will evaporate. There is no justification to overthrow an elected government, this is the reason why the people will gather together to continue to support this government.

I do agree with you that if the Dems started to work a bit at trying to win the heart of the people (other than the usual bunch) and fight in the elections it would be so much better. But they apparently prefer to play dirty games instead of working at making themselves liked by the people. To be liked by the people and to win in an election would take too long and too much efforts. So, they resort to creating conditions that will favor chaos and confrontation. I am pretty sure that apart from the blinds extremists most people don't approve these never ending street protests. But there is no end in sight. Indeed, why would the reds stay at home while the Dems want to overthrow the government they elected? It would be futile to think that there will be no response. An early election would not change anything. PT would be relected anyway.

• Like 1

There is nothing in the democratic ideal that says a government is guaranteed its full term of office if it becomes corrupt or abuses it powers of office. If a large enough number of people loose trust/faith in a government, as they do after this obviously self-serving and corrupt bill, why should they not be allowed to call for an early election?

I don't really have anything against them protesting, but i don't think they are even calling for early elections, they are simply trying to 'overthrow the regime'. I am not sure they mean having early elections, that does not quite constitute an overthrow. I don't suppose they are that keen on elections, as i presume it may be closer but I doubt they would have sufficient vote to try and form a Government. Other than waiting for their election, their choices seem limited. I expect the military would be very reticent to act unless it really was the last resort, as would many other of the bodies that could potentially cause them issues again. Any throwing out of the PTP from means other than an election i believe would probably just further increase their support, and add more credence to the stuff they talk about, Bangkok elites blah blah blah.

To get out this vicious circle, the Democrats or another party really need to win an election.

I agree Smutty. People should have a right to protest against a government they perceive to be corrupt and inept. PTP massively misjudged the level of protest the amnesty bill whitewash provoked. Now other issues are being looked at too. Any ethical party would have resigned from government, called a general election and gone back to the people. This doesn't suit the agenda of PTP or its leader so they are clinging on, hoping to ride the storm. Things seem to blow over and be forgotten quickly in Thailand.

The opposition should be doing its job, challenging the government in parliament and presenting its own case to the people. Everyone knows the reality, that this government is owned and controlled by one fugitive criminal, intent on a whitewash and return to power with grandiose ideas of creating a family dynastic dictatorship. The alternative seems to be a return to the "old" rule of government by the established elite families who will continue to exploit the masses given the chance.

The interesting thing this time has been the vocal and open protests from the professional and middle classes, academics and businesses and organizations. This should send a warning sign to all political parties - but the arrogant indifference and corruption makes them unlikely to change, or even care. Thailand needs new political parties that are not financed by one criminal or some group of powerful families, based on wealth and ethnicity. Until that happens the cycle will just keep repeating.

The protesters should be calling on the PM/DM to dissolve the house, despite the opposite instructions from her fugitive brother. However, listening to this lunatic calling for an "overthrow' is not the answer. Another coup, imo, is unlikely to work this time and more likely to plunge the country into civil strife as the divides polarize.

Change in Thailand can only happen with the rule of law, enforced through an impartial justice system, and applied to all equally and fairly. And, too many vested interests simply don't want that to happen.

• Like 2

Wrong! Try researching the facts. They are often very different from what the Shins often claim.

Of course you are correct. The PTP received approx 44% of the Constituency electorates vote, the dems 32% - it still means that more of the electorate cast their vote for PTP than they did for the dems. They got to form the government.

What do the Shinawatra family often claim according to you?

ps It's Shinawatra not "Shins" and Thaksin not "Taxin" I believe there are rules about this?

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

They did not actually.

48.41% voted for

51.59 % voted against

And the current figures likely to be even less favourable to the Thaksin cabal.

Wrong! Try researching the facts. They are often very different from what the Shins often claim.

Of course you are correct. The PTP received approx 44% of the Constituency electorates vote, the dems 32% - it still means that more of the electorate cast their vote for PTP than they did for the dems. They got to form the government.

ps It's Shinawatra not "Shins" and Thaksin not "Taxin" I believe there are rules about this?

Do try and do your own research a little bit. It's not hard with the technology these days! Rather than keep asking other posters to do it for you.

Stone and glasshouses always spring to mind with your posts.

Do as we say and not as we do .............. now who is that reminiscent of ?

Edited by Baerboxer

All very well,  apart from the fact that a majority of the Thai population voted for the Taxin family.........Posted Image

They did indeed get to form the government.

Then proceeded to hoist the jolly roger, plunder as much as they could whilst defaecating over vast swathes of the electorate.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Even if 99% would have voted them, they wouldn't have the right to stand above the law and pardon themself.

That destroys the rule of law.

• Like 1

If Suthep and his yellow friends ever got into power the white trash would be removed from Thailand in a blink. These ultra-nationalists are racist so be careful what you wish for. Turkeys shouldn't vote for Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I know several of the PADs, and I have been alone and with my wife at government house when they took it over. There were a few farangs there are some not really they hi-so version and the yellows were really sympathetic towards them.

Never heard any word of racism from the yellows. The only negative views are when foreign countries try to mess in Thai politics.

On the other hand some racism came from Thaksin and his cronies

PAD are utra-nationalist and see the west as an enemy, these are quotes from a recent speech.

Sondhi Speech January 2012:

entitled "

American's Corrupt Capitalism, Back Thai's Anti-Monarchy To Seize Thailand"

"They do all sorts, abolition of Privy Councillors and undermine the creidibility of the Royal institute. These are all under westerners' guidance through their organization which I have explained. They use beautiful jargons. For underground works, CIA is involved and supports. ..."

..."They join foreign capitalists to monopolize domestic capitals...."

on PTT ..."The question is the profit of nearly 200,000 million previously 100% belonged to Thais. Why suddenly is it privatized to westerners?"...

..."This makes westerners happy. It matches with foreigners whom I talked about, those who want to seize ours. Therefore, look at the chart which shows the greed mixed with the anger to abolish the Mxxxxx. If the republic wins, go ahead. If not, the Rxxxxl authority is to be decreased, like Sihamoni of Cambodia. That is the plan, the theory and the format they are pushing."....

..." Because of him, westerners cannot seize Thailand."...

..." Therefore, the politicians just welcome whoever gives benefits. If they(foreigners) say xxxxx is an obstacle, our politicians just close one eyes"...

..."Today, they become American's tool"....

..." Prepare ourselves for one day we all will have to come out to defend Thailand. Thank you. "

I agree that Taksin is no great lover of the west, except when it suits him, but the ultra-nationalists take it to a whole new (and for us foreigners) dangerous level.

• Like 1

If Suthep and his yellow friends ever got into power the white trash would be removed from Thailand in a blink. These ultra-nationalists are racist so be careful what you wish for. Turkeys shouldn't vote for Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I know several of the PADs, and I have been alone and with my wife at government house when they took it over. There were a few farangs there are some not really they hi-so version and the yellows were really sympathetic towards them.

Never heard any word of racism from the yellows. The only negative views are when foreign countries try to mess in Thai politics.

On the other hand some racism came from Thaksin and his cronies

PAD are utra-nationalist and see the west as an enemy, these are quotes from a recent speech.

Sondhi Speech January 2012:

entitled "

American's Corrupt Capitalism, Back Thai's Anti-Monarchy To Seize Thailand"

"They do all sorts, abolition of Privy Councillors and undermine the creidibility of the Royal institute. These are all under westerners' guidance through their organization which I have explained. They use beautiful jargons. For underground works, CIA is involved and supports. ..."

..."They join foreign capitalists to monopolize domestic capitals...."

on PTT ..."The question is the profit of nearly 200,000 million previously 100% belonged to Thais. Why suddenly is it privatized to westerners?"...

..."This makes westerners happy. It matches with foreigners whom I talked about, those who want to seize ours. Therefore, look at the chart which shows the greed mixed with the anger to abolish the Mxxxxx. If the republic wins, go ahead. If not, the Rxxxxl authority is to be decreased, like Sihamoni of Cambodia. That is the plan, the theory and the format they are pushing."....

..." Because of him, westerners cannot seize Thailand."...

..." Therefore, the politicians just welcome whoever gives benefits. If they(foreigners) say xxxxx is an obstacle, our politicians just close one eyes"...

..."Today, they become American's tool"....

..." Prepare ourselves for one day we all will have to come out to defend Thailand. Thank you. "

I agree that Taksin is no great lover of the west, except when it suits him, but the ultra-nationalists take it to a whole new (and for us foreigners) dangerous level.

he is right, all the west suffers from the corrupt bankster mafia. Unless the corrupt bankster mafia is in your own eyes an own race it isn't racist.

Specially PTT-Chevron-USA-oil situation is well known. The USA places a lot pressure on governments + Oel companies do bribe and share resources with corrupt politician that should belong to the people and these come from America and Europe.

Fact not racist, not against ethnic of people, against the doings of countries and companies.

No question that the wording in a heated demonstration might be a provocative.

Suthep has nothing to lose if the situation turns into chaos.

He is old. He has zero chance to get elected to any government post during his left lifetime. He has plenty of court cases fight. And he looks like someone getting totally insane.

How can anyone listen, and believe this strange human being is a mystery blink.png

Under the cover of his "peaceful protest" to bring down an elected government, I am pretty sure he would welcome more confrontation. Hopefully this time he cannot count on the army to achieve his despicable goals.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Strongly suggest you connect your

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

up to reality.

Care to give us your credentials for what some one looks like when they are totally insane.

Not fair using the mirror.

Or are you a Thai basher switching to bashing old people.

Afraid they can see what kind of a phoney you are so pre bash them.

Yes he has plenty of court cases to fight. Rather than being an honest for the people government they choose to trump up charges against people who appose their self serving schemes.

Not accusing you of any thing bur doe's any one know what ghe pay's non Thai supporters. I know several of them were lawyers and very highly paid.

Never heard to much from Thai lawyers other than defamation cases that were dead from the word go.

Does he have contempt for Thais that many of the Ex Pats on this board exhibit?

He seems to be getting the publicity. He's firing up the crowds. He's pressing a few buttons. And few give a dam_n about his history. Add the group-frenzy mentality to the fiery rhetoric and there could be the makings of something we are reluctant to predict. I don't like this at all. We may not like this character, but if he strikes a chord ... well, I hate to think. Whether we like it or not, Suthep is prepared to push things as far as he can. It's heady stuff, despite our cynicism about him personally. Suthep is clearly trying to manoeuvre this situation into a new level. and that's what worries me.

Well you are certainly right.

He is trying to maneuver this into a new position and that frightens me also.

It is not that he will bring the government down with guns and rocket launchers. He is not a rich man with no conscience and seeking to form a red shirted type army. Thaksin all ready has those type people in his employe. He is trying to do it peacefully with legal means.

What scares me is he will lose what he has gained.

Yes few care about his history at this point. They are more concerned with the history of the PTP and the history it is continuing to make.

They are wiser than several of the posters on this board.wai2.gif