I want to try to live in Isaan

kekalot

Hi, I am semi new to these forums but I have been a reader for quite a while

I am 31 and have been living in Thailand for about 3 months now. I have been living in Cha-am and while the beach life is not all that expensive, I want to try something new!

so, I want to drive my motorbike to the provinces.

I know village life will be secluded but I would like to experience it first hand, learn about how people live and interact with locals (my thai is useless).

problem is, I don't know where to go!

now! would there be any of you chaps that would enjoy hosting a young/silly French Canadian for a few days, for general company..

I have my own money for food and do not drink and don't care about malls, bars (never been to a bar in my life) or drama.

maybe some of you know some decent isaan lady too :P

a bit like CouchSurfing (I have a CS account with 100% positive feedback too)

anyways, can reply here or send me a PM if you are interested in letting me crash at your place for however long. or if you have some ideas on best places to go

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to a bar (for once in your life), get a girl.. she will take you to her village and you will certainly learn first hand.

totster smile.png

ohh I am aware of that possibility but there is a reason why I never go to bars.. and it's to avoid just that :P

• Like 1

Go to a bar (for once in your life), get a girl.. she will take you to her village and you will certainly learn first hand.

totster smile.png

ohh I am aware of that possibility but there is a reason why I never go to bars.. and it's to avoid just that tongue.png

Errrmm.. so you have never been to a bar in your life because you might meet a female ? blink.png

totster smile.png

I don't go to bars because i do not drink and i have absolutely no interest in meeting bar girls or even the kind of girls who just hang out at bars

All these "OMG Isaan!" threads are hilarious. Posters think it's some magical place or something like that. It's not. The people are regular people. There's no beaches and we don't really think about beaches in our daily life. We are more conservative, but also more level-headed. You may notice that the economy is more stable because it is partly based on stable agriculture, not stock prices or currency hedges like in big cities.

You don't have to try to live in Isaan. Just go there and do it. But don't expect fancy condos, luxury mega-malls (although Central has been building more malls) and super-modern (unnecessary) frills.

EDIT: Also, you can go to a bar and not drink alcohol.

Edited by IsaanUSA

I think this is the 1st "OMG Issan" thread I have seen...

There's one every other week!

Actually they are mostly, "Went with my gf/wife to visit her family in isaan. wtfbbq that place is crazy/awesome/cheap/scary/whatever". I wonder about the posters of those threads because they rarely say where they come from. I suspect they are all from deep inside New York/London/Paris/Hong Kong/other very large city with all modern amenities.

Edited by IsaanUSA

kekalot, there's a large farang expat community in Udon, so I probably wouldn't go there :) I would probably stick to one of the bigger cities due to infrastructure, English, product availability, restaurants, and comfort. Ubon is pretty nice, Khon Kaen as well. Mukdahan is worth checking out also. For more adventure but less activities you could go to a smaller town such as Yasothon, Roi Et, Si Sa Ket, Surin or Buriram.

It kind of depends on you, what you are looking for and your regular daily/weekly/monthly activities.

BTW, go Georges! No way Hendricks will win.

I think this is the 1st "OMG Issan" thread I have seen...

There's one every other week!

Actually they are mostly, "Went with my gf/wife to visit her family in isaan. wtfbbq that place is crazy/awesome/cheap/scary/whatever". I wonder about the posters of those threads because they rarely say where they come from. I suspect they are all from deep inside New York/London/Paris/Hong Kong/other very large city with all modern amenities.

funniest thing I heard, OMG Isaan! thread? .. right.

i know it's not magical place, i know there are no beaches, 5 second look at any Thai map can tell me that.. (and i never thought there were) no condos or malls..? i don't care about none of the above..

I am from eastern Canada, I lived in a small village all my life up until 18 or so. there is nothing "magical" for me..

regarding the other posts, apparently a lot of people have not heard of couchsurfing.org

obviously it's not going to be the most popular website with older people..

but in Bangkok there are 5,812 hosts that would most likely welcome me for a day or a few days.. in Isaan, not so much (Khon Kaen had 3)

i got to host and spend time with 30 or so people. I got to interact with people from all around the world, learn about their culture.. cook with them and share stories and laughs.

now i understand none of those is of interest for most of you.. some people are different tho.

Yeah, so the non-touristy parts of Thailand should feel more "normal" to you since you grew up in the same thing in Canada.

I'm familiar with couch surfing. I don't think it's really that big in SE Asia. Same with hostels. There are just so many low priced hotel options.

There are plenty of people on ThaiVisa that live in the isaan region, but I bet many are sleeping already or winding down their week at a bar right now.

I host people from a similar site for touring cyclists.

Can be a very good way to meet interesting people, can also be a pain in da ass !!

We normally just host hot chicks smile.png

But I am not in Isaan, so good luck and enjoy the experience.

haha, I know exactly what you mean.. my friend from Bangkok will only host "handsome men"

when I left Canada my roommate who was co-host i guess started doing the same :P

I am lucky that I never had problems before myself.

Yeah, so the non-touristy parts of Thailand should feel more "normal" to you since you grew up in the same thing in Canada.

I'm familiar with couch surfing. I don't think it's really that big in SE Asia. Same with hostels. There are just so many low priced hotel options.

There are plenty of people on ThaiVisa that live in the isaan region, but I bet many are sleeping already or winding down their week at a bar right now.

I am not having any expectations..

worst case scenario it's going to be the hennessy hammock.

I like the simple life, I like running and walking around, taking pictures and interacting with people.

I know if i just drive around on one road I would go by say 250 smaller villages and not notice.. maybe one of them I might like to live for a while.

getting a chance to spend time with someone who actually lives in one of those villages would be ideal.

I know if i just drive around on one road I would go by say 250 smaller villages and not notice.. maybe one of them I might like to live for a while.

Where will you live in one of these villages ?? Rent a room ? 555555555555555

totster :D

• Like 2

look at you.. so negative, so cute.

look, if you are not interested, fine. but i am not sure why you are wasting your time rambling about it

are you trying to convince me of something?

or maybe just bored? trying to get your post count up?

beats me.

Edited by kekalot
  • Like 2

Come on man. You're going to roll up into a random village and proclaim that you want to live there and local people should interact with you daily (even though you cannot speak to them)? Think about your village back in Canada. What would happen if a random Sudanese person just walked up to random people in your village and started talking with them everyday? Somebody would eventually call the police saying there is a strange African person walking around our private community speaking some foreign language.

• Like 2

totser, how do u nknow thats him n the avatar?

secondly, i stayed in someone's aprt. for a few days , i had met them here on the forum;

thirdly, ive put people that ive never met before, up in my apartment in kibbutz, they were foreigners doing a north/south hiking trail that runs through here. anyone willing to put up with -at the time- two boxers had to be ok...

you dont have to translate or entertain. its sort of like cheap ecotourism...

in this type of situation , you dont have to entertain. you provide a place to sleep, and basically, you turn the person loose to do whatver they want, you benefit only by having unusual and interesting people as your guest for a day or so.

to the OP maybe you should look into biking /cycling groups or something like that , you might find people willing to put you up for a night or so...

True.. but I say it is, and will stick with my assessment.

secondly, i stayed in someone's aprt. for a few days , i had met them here on the forum;

That's great ! It's not for me.

thirdly, ive put people that ive never met before, up in my apartment in kibbutz, they were foreigners doing a north/south hiking trail that runs through here. anyone willing to put up with -at the time- two boxers had to be ok...

But surely this is down to the philosophy of living in a Kibbutz anyway, or at least plays a part in making you more open to it ?

in this type of situation , you dont have to entertain. you provide a place to sleep, and basically, you turn the person loose to do whatver they want, you benefit only by having unusual and interesting people as your guest for a day or so.

to the OP maybe you should look into biking /cycling groups or something like that , you might find people willing to put you up for a night or so...

So they can come and go as they please is what you are saying? What if I have to go out and lock the house, do I give them a key and the number to my safe ?

totster smile.png

Edited by Totster
  • Like 1

Come on man. You're going to roll up into a random village and proclaim that you want to live there and local people should interact with you daily (even though you cannot speak to them)? Think about your village back in Canada. What would happen if a random Sudanese person just walked up to random people in your village and started talking with them everyday? Somebody would eventually call the police saying there is a strange African person walking around our private community speaking some foreign language.

I didn't mean it like that..

if i drive on Phetkasem Road straight up at 80 km/h. how am i supposed to know how Cha-am is like (or any place i would go by).

maybe i should have said town.

that is why getting someone with first hand experience is great

well there you go,

something positive, thanks bina

do you know if there is such a group/thread here on TV

or did you mean externally

• Like 1

well there you go,

something positive, thanks bina

do you know if there is such a group/thread here on TV

or did you mean externally

Surely the fact that 'couchsurfer' doesn't have many places listed is proof enough that it's not a popular activity up here ? Just a thought.

totster :)