I want to try to live in Isaan

kekalot

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

totser, how do u nknow thats him n the avatar?

secondly, i stayed in someone's aprt. for a few days , i had met them here on the forum;

thirdly, ive put people that ive never met before, up in my apartment in kibbutz, they were foreigners doing a north/south hiking trail that runs through here. anyone willing to put up with -at the time- two boxers had to be ok...

you dont have to translate or entertain. its sort of like cheap ecotourism...

in this type of situation , you dont have to entertain. you provide a place to sleep, and basically, you turn the person loose to do whatver they want, you benefit only by having unusual and interesting people as your guest for a day or so.

to the OP maybe you should look into biking /cycling groups or something like that , you might find people willing to put you up for a night or so...

A little different as OP mentions he is wanting to live not pass through.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Some of you may remember a forum member I think his TV name was 'Afarang' and his avater was a picture of his yellow Etan vehicle. He died about a year ago. He was a member of the 'couch surfers' organisation and often used to have people stay at his place in Ban Kruad, All sorts, young, old of all nationalities, they were invariably interesting, outgoing types, I suppose the very nature of their travels made them like that. They would stay a couple of days and then move on.

As for the OP it's difficult to know what to suggest. He states that he wants to stay and experience this part of Thailand, but he doesn't, by his own admission appear to be a very sociable type. He doesn't speak Thai and never goes to a bar. If he want's to meet a local farang who speaks French or English, who can tell him what, where and when the local attractins are, or maybe help him find accomodation, at some stage he's going to have to enter that dreaded bar. After all he dosn't have to drink alcohol. I wish him luck.

I don't want to be too negative but I think your plan is somewhat optimistic unless you do happen to find someone to offer you room and board. Without assistance if you want to experience life in a rural area of Issan you will need to speak some Thai. Sticking to the small cities might be a good start as you will at least be able to find food, lodging and other essentials. Consider basing yourself in a small Issan city (as already suggested by another poster), then use your motorbike to travel around the rural roads outside the city to see some villages. In the rural areas don't expect to meet anyone that you will be able to speak with, likely-hood of running into another westerner is slim and very very few villagers will be able to speak even rudimentary English.

If you are bored in Hua Hin why not try some other more touristy destinations like Kanchanaburi, Ayutthaya, or Chiang Mai. After those places you could next try places like Sukhothai, Lopburi, etc. where there will be fewer western amenities but you will still get by just fine. Next do the Issan city thing, Korat, Khon Kean, Udon, Ubon before trying the smaller cities like Nong Bua Lamphue, Surin, Roi Et, Loi, Sisaket, etc.

All the above mentioned travel is gonna take 6 months to a year if you spend time in each place, by that time you should be able to learn basic Thai which will help if you still wish to try the village life thing.

Any cities in issan that have American fast food restaurants? I know I know I have bad taste in food, but it is what I like and could not eat Thai food everyday.

I have never been to issan so just wondering what it is like. I think every Woman I met in Bangkok is from there. It produces beautiful woman I will say that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Any cities in issan that have American fast food restaurants?

Never seen one without a KFC. If you need McDonalds or Burger king, stick to the bigger ones. Actually don't know if I have ever seen a BK in Issan but it is years since I have been in Korat and I don't know Udon or Khon Kean very well.

Udon has all the fast food chains but if the op travels to smaller Villages, not much luck in isaan. If he wants to experience the real isaan, get a taste for thai food as the only thing that comes close here are donuts, which are the best I've ever had, ask my scales. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Any cities in issan that have American fast food restaurants? I know I know I have bad taste in food, but it is what I like and could not eat Thai food everyday.

I have never been to issan so just wondering what it is like. I think every Woman I met in Bangkok is from there. It produces beautiful woman I will say that much.

Haha.. are you having a cheeky little troll ??neus.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptR4K2not3.gif

totster :)

• Like 1

Any cities in issan that have American fast food restaurants?

Never seen one without a KFC. If you need McDonalds or Burger king, stick to the bigger ones. Actually don't know if I have ever seen a BK in Issan but it is years since I have been in Korat and I don't know Udon or Khon Kean very well.

Wish there was a BK but very few in Thailand and non in issan. McD's in Udon, KK Korat and Ubon.

PS: 7-11 every forcking place you go....

Haha.. are you having a cheeky little troll ??neus.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptR4K2not3.gif

totster :)

Absolutely not. I am no fan of trolling.

I love most things about Thailand except the food. I eat American fast food everywhere I go. I know it's not the cool or sophisticated thing to admit to but it is what I like. Usually, I can get by and find something for a day or two but was in Siem Reip back in the 90s and there was nothing there I could eat (also don't like seafood). I ended up eating cookies the entire 3 days I was there. It was cool seeing Angkor Wat though.

The comment about issan women is just based on my experience, seems like all the girls I have met in bkk are from issan. I just assumed poor girls from upcountry are coming into the city to find work.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailandu

Edited by timtscott

totster smile.png

Absolutely not. I am no fan of trolling.

I love most things about Thailand except the food. I eat American fast food everywhere I go. I know it's not the cool or sophisticated thing to admit to but it is what I like. Usually, I can get by and find something for a day or two but was in Siem Reip back in the 90s and there was nothing there I could eat (also don't like seafood). I ended up eating cookies the entire 3 days I was there. It was cool seeing Angkor Wat though.

The comment about issan women is just based on my experience, seems like all the girls I have met in bkk are from issan. I just assumed poor girls from upcountry are coming into the city to find work.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailandu

I think you are mostly right, most women I talked to who lived in Bangkok and had kids shipped them back home to their parents so they could keep working/studying while their parents took care of their child..

of course, if they'd stop working to take care of new baby, it's less money for mom, less money for family.

not saying it's a bad thing but it seems a very common occurence

then of course kids get older they will go out of the village to go work in mostly around Bangkok or other cities to repeat this cycle

• Like 1

Some of you may remember a forum member I think his TV name was 'Afarang' and his avater was a picture of his yellow Etan vehicle. He died about a year ago. He was a member of the 'couch surfers' organisation and often used to have people stay at his place in Ban Kruad, All sorts, young, old of all nationalities, they were invariably interesting, outgoing types, I suppose the very nature of their travels made them like that. They would stay a couple of days and then move on.

As for the OP it's difficult to know what to suggest. He states that he wants to stay and experience this part of Thailand, but he doesn't, by his own admission appear to be a very sociable type. He doesn't speak Thai and never goes to a bar. If he want's to meet a local farang who speaks French or English, who can tell him what, where and when the local attractins are, or maybe help him find accomodation, at some stage he's going to have to enter that dreaded bar. After all he dosn't have to drink alcohol. I wish him luck.

Barry, you beat me to it was just going to post similar, I never got around to bringing over the bumper sticker "real Ozzies drive uts" to plant on the back of the yellow submarine...

OP's key sentence: "some decent Thai-Lady".

Let's boil it down to some essentials: OP was living in Cha-Am (Touristy place) and has discovered that female company has it's price. Him living on a budget, a fellow farang may have softly whispered in his ears that in the Isaan, thousands of ladies are just waiting for the arrival of "handsome farang".

Forgetting to mention, that farangs with no meaningful financial background are simply of little interest to local Thai's.

Has all the ingredients of a misery/overstay situation in the making.

Cheers.

As others have mentioned, it will be difficult to fit in to a village or small town in Isaan with a 'sponsor' (read: friend/girlfriend from that village) to introduce you and provide the locals with a reason that you are there.

Not speaking the language will make that even more difficult.

• Like 1

I think this is the 1st "OMG Isaan" thread I have seen...

It's not a magical place, you are right. Cornwall is a magical place but it rains too much !!

He does look slightly dodgy smile.png

Yes, Cornwall is magical, and yes it does rain too much, but even worse it is too close to England and the UK which is why I moved from my County, sorry Country of birth, to Issan. UDI for Cornwall and Issan!:-)

couchsurfing is freeloading yes?

Ive travelled alone in Thailand. Is great fun and learnt a lot just by looking and listening .

The only difference with what you want to do and what I have done is that I was prepared to pay rent for room ,.

you want to meet interesting people so you freeload , so basically your saying , guest house, hotel owners are not interesting ..

You must learn some Thai if you gonna stay in a village .. be disrespectfull not to.

wai.gif good luck

Please report back after experiencing Isaan villages and how you are welcomed

by the Thai/farang community whilst couchsurfing/freeloading, because it sounds like it will be a very interesting read.

I anticipate certain challenges.

Good luck.

I really like the use of the expression 'free loading'. As far as I am concerned (or was, those days are gone) 'couch surfing' is a two way experience, I met all sorts of interesting people that came to sleep at my place and others that accepted me into their homes for a night or two. If you don't like or trust the guy, you throw him out - no smoking, no drugs, curfew... I really can't see why so much hostility is stoked up by this slightly shy and naive request for a bit of help to get on. I already have an extended family (11) of 'free loaders' living in the immediate proximity so don't see what problem one more person at the table could cause.

• Like 1

I think couch surfing would be interesting but awkward. I like people, but sleeping in a strangers house would be a just little weird for me.

There used to be some sorta dating/couch surfing site where female travelers would contact you to crash at your place. I'm sure that would lead to some interesting encounters. :-)

You do not need to go to a bar!

Most of the women working in resort towns are from Isaan.

Hotel maids, waitresses, house cleaners, you name it most are from here.

You don't need a sex worker if you do not want sex!

Most miss home and family very much and would rtaher be here than there.

Look around, find what you think is a nice one who speaks o.k. English. ( not many here speak English well and you will need a translator)

Offer her 300- 500 baht per day, you pay food,travel and lodging and I would be very surprised if she would not be thrilled to help you.

As long as she can get away from her job and still return.

As long as you do not look as scary as some posters here say you do!

Isaan is a wonderful place to be if you have the right attitude and temperament

Give it a try.

Choke Dee!.

You do not need to go to a bar!

Most of the women working in resort towns are from Isaan.

Hotel maids, waitresses, house cleaners, you name it most are from here.

You don't need a sex worker if you do not want sex!

Most miss home and family very much and would rtaher be here than there.

Look around, find what you think is a nice one who speaks o.k. English. ( not many here speak English well and you will need a translator)

Offer her 300- 500 baht per day, you pay food,travel and lodging and I would be very surprised if she would not be thrilled to help you.

As long as she can get away from her job and still return.

As long as you do not look as scary as some posters here say you do!

Isaan is a wonderful place to be if you have the right attitude and temperament

Give it a try.

Choke Dee!.

^^^ Sensible.

I'd be tempted to get on some dating sites and tell them what I want and that I'd be willing to pay for the room etc. Maybe some ladies (if that is what the OP is after) would take him up on the offer.

OP if you can work in the rice paddies, feed the buffalo,the chickens and such like, you might find some lady willing to take you on, especially if you are young and handsum man with big muscles. More so if you are happy to pay for the privilige.

No way can I see many people simply waltzing up to a village and getting in to stay. They need a starting point and that is usually a woman (or other blink.png ).

Good luck though.

• Like 1

I could probably do the work. I am a young, tall and lean.

However, contrary to popular beliefs, this is not a quest for ladies but a search for a region to settle.

I already got a few offers via PM to help me out and also a list of locations to visit and totally do read you guys's comments.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app