Why does Buddhism in Thailand have such greed for money?

fabianfred

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddhism in Thailand is SO far from what the Tibetans call Buddhism.

Buddha taught about enlightenment, not greed.

Thais pray for personal gain, and wear Buddha amulets to protect them from harm.

It's a great big laughing stock to real Buddhists.

Thais are very hypocritical, but that's because they see Buddhism as a religion instead of a philosophy of life, which is what it was intended to be.

It's the same as preachers bangin' on the congregation about whoring and then he's in a brothel on Sunday afternoon.

preachers bangin' on the congregation

This is one phrase I never expected to read in the Buddhism forum.

It is clear that just wearing a saffron robe does not make you a man of God.

Often they don't but many turn to Buddha to cure them of their own vices or to change their ways. Some do so successfully but my feeling is that many just give up and go back to how they were. I think to some degree the Thais will be patient with people who have made the effort to change themselves but there's obviously a limit to that. And more famous cases like the jet-setting don't help. Have to say most of the monks in the temple near us a covered in tattoos and look thoroughly miserable all the time.

I live next to a temple whose greed is so extreme as to be mind boggling. I live in a fairly poor village, yet the wat voraciously sucks money from its people like a libidinous female mosquito sucks blood from her host. The begging for money by the monks is incessant (they are not supposed to ask for anything, but they pass out those ubiquitous orange buckets full of those empty money sticks, and the villagers feel compelled to disgorge what little money they have to decorate those sticks before the monks return to pick it up). They also have one "event" after another with the loudspeakers blaring, the MC always talking about money, who has given what, and how much more they "need." They rarely talk about dhamma. They constantly build, build, build. They recently finished a big new house for the abbot (head monk) -- yes, a full blown house. Even though our village is fairly small, the wat is now fairly good sized and growing, while the people who pay for it live in sheet metal shacks with no windows or screens.

It is absolutely shameless. If they ever had a program where they were collecting money to improve the local school (buy computers, etc.) I would be delighted and would participate. But alas,that never happens. They drain all the wealth from the village and keep every baht. It is sad.

Right now, as I am writing this at 7:15 a.m., the loudspeakers are blaring over at the wat. They are reporting all the money they collected at the Loy Krathong festivities last night and giving the names of each donor with amount contributed. During the last big festival (can't remember the name) this wat collected a mind boggling 1,000,000 baht from this poor village. Nobody has any money for the kids' higher educations, so they just stay on the farm.

Edit: And yes, none of this has anything to do with anything the Buddha taught. In fact, it is the antipathy.

But on balance, that's the way with all organized religions. Organized religions are and always have been seats of power and money fuels power. I was at a big Catholic cathedral down in Mexico years ago. Some local was acting as my guide. I shook my head, looking at the opulent cathedral and the poor village in which it was situated. I said to the guide, "It all cost so my money. If a villager had only two chickens to feed his family, the priest would surely take one of them." The guide laughed and said matter of factly, "Only one? He would take them both and leave God to care for the family!"

Edit: And yes, nothing most of the Christians teach/do has anything to do with anything Jesus taught. In fact, it is the antipathy. Ditto for Muslims and Mohammad. The basic teachings of Buddha, Jesus and Mohammed were quite similar. If the world actually followed their teachings, religions as we know them wouldn't even exist.

And such as it is. One of the biggest evils to ever plague humankind and prey on its poor is religion -- religion of all ilks. My favorite definition of "faith" is: The ability to believe the thing one knows not to be true.

Very good post Tickemaster.. I think you pretty much covered all the bases. clap2.gif

Religion is opium for the people and an instrument of domination.

So Mao, and every Chinese leader since Mao, did away with religion and focused on being instruments of domination.

Still a belief system, a religion with a different label. (and that one does have a god, self appointed)

I live next to a temple whose greed is so extreme as to be mind boggling. I live in a fairly poor village, yet the wat voraciously sucks money from its people like a libidinous female mosquito sucks blood from her host. The begging for money by the monks is incessant (they are not supposed to ask for anything, but they pass out those ubiquitous orange buckets full of those empty money sticks, and the villagers feel compelled to disgorge what little money they have to decorate those sticks before the monks return to pick it up). They also have one "event" after another with the loudspeakers blaring, the MC always talking about money, who has given what, and how much more they "need." They rarely talk about dhamma. They constantly build, build, build. They recently finished a big new house for the abbot (head monk) -- yes, a full blown house. Even though our village is fairly small, the wat is now fairly good sized and growing, while the people who pay for it live in sheet metal shacks with no windows or screens.

It is absolutely shameless. If they ever had a program where they were collecting money to improve the local school (buy computers, etc.) I would be delighted and would participate. But alas,that never happens. They drain all the wealth from the village and keep every baht. It is sad.

Right now, as I am writing this at 7:15 a.m., the loudspeakers are blaring over at the wat. They are reporting all the money they collected at the Loy Krathong festivities last night and giving the names of each donor with amount contributed. During the last big festival (can't remember the name) this wat collected a mind boggling 1,000,000 baht from this poor village. Nobody has any money for the kids' higher educations, so they just stay on the farm.

Edit: And yes, none of this has anything to do with anything the Buddha taught. In fact, it is the antipathy.

But on balance, that's the way with all organized religions. Organized religions are and always have been seats of power and money fuels power. I was at a big Catholic cathedral down in Mexico years ago. Some local was acting as my guide. I shook my head, looking at the opulent cathedral and the poor village in which it was situated. I said to the guide, "It all cost so my money. If a villager had only two chickens to feed his family, the priest would surely take one of them." The guide laughed and said matter of factly, "Only one? He would take them both and leave God to care for the family!"

Edit: And yes, nothing most of the Christians teach/do has anything to do with anything Jesus taught. In fact, it is the antipathy. Ditto for Muslims and Mohammad. The basic teachings of Buddha, Jesus and Mohammed were quite similar. If the world actually followed their teachings, religions as we know them wouldn't even exist.

And such as it is. One of the biggest evils to ever plague humankind and prey on its poor is religion -- religion of all ilks. My favorite definition of "faith" is: The ability to believe the thing one knows not to be true.

If it is true, that attachment to greed, delusion, aversion, will attract kharma/vipaka, what will eventually happen to these Monks who prey on the poor in their communities?

they learned from the Catholic church !

I am the last one to defend the catholic church, but please explain how the catholics taught the thai budhists.

I don't think he can.

Gratuitous statements can rarely be justified.

ummmmm

well lets see......taking $$$$ from the poor and telling them they will do better in the afterlife

Head Priests or Monks who have a vows of poverty , but live in big churches / temples

the church owning more land and buildings that they really need but wanting more.....

I hope that justified my first statement !

whistling.gif As usual you are confusing Buddhisim and Buddhisim as practiced in Thailand.

The em[hesis on money is what the Thais demand .... it gives them status among their neighbors to be able to put on a bif show ... makes them seem a big person at the Wat and impresses the neighbors.

Its a show they all want to impress the neighbors.

So Mao, and every Chinese leader since Mao, did away with religion and focused on being instruments of domination.

Still a belief system, a religion with a different label. (and that one does have a god, self appointed)

Religion is opium for the people, Karl used to say. True!

Marxism is opium for the intellectuals, we anarchists used to say (flashback from the sixties).

Religion is opium for the people, Karl said in the 19th century, and that is true!

Marxism is opium for the intellectuals, we anarchists replied.