Interesting massage shop economics

PaullyW

In response to the OP's question; my lawyer buddy says when gas prices rise in Houston, so do prostitution busts. That's in the civilised and developed west... OK, Texas then.

Since Thailand increasingly embraces the western economic model and all that comes with it, I can only assume that when the price of fish sauce rises in LOS, so does the likelihood of a happy ending.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"crazier extras for free"?

care to elaborate for the sake of amusement?

Juggling and fire breathing act while riding a unicycle?

What I always wonder is how some of these massage places in Bangkok stay in business. In the lower Suk area where I live near Terminal 21 there's a glut of shops with one even offering a traditional Thai massage for 150 baht an hour and 250 baht for 2 hours. With what must be the price of rent around there etc. that's bargain basement. My wife tried them out and said that even though it wasn't the best massage she'd ever had it was far from the worst.

150 per hour against 300 it cost to pay staff for the whole day ! (usually 12 hour day too)

Yes but it' s unlikely that they've got guests one after the other for their whole shift. Back in Khon Kaen my friend had a massage shop. Some days they'd have 15 guests, some days 2.

Hence the percentage........

I hear you Charlie but what I mean is 150 baht around lower suk with the shop rental, laundry, electricity etc just makes me wonder how they make a profit. They must do or they wouldn't be open but I just can't see how ir can be a money spinner for the owner.

Edited by mca

I hear you Charlie but what I mean is 150 baht around lower suk with the shop rental, laundry, electricity etc just makes me wonder how they make a profit. They must do or they wouldn't be open but I just can't see how ir can be a money spinner for the owner.

I suspect its one of two things....

1. They own the property, thats the real investment, location etc, the shop is secondary and as they own it there is no rent etc so overheads are minimised.

2. They have been renting it for years, initial capital outfitting recovered, still paying 1990 rent rate as generally Thais dont have rent increases for the same tenant ( or so I have been told by many thais), they prefer to either sell the property, or knock it down, thus removing long tenant and sell the land for developement.

Thats why you rarely see "new" massage shops opening, they tend to have been there donkeys years!

Just update the staff, often old and dated inside etc.

Just my guesswork, nothing more

• Like 1

I'm a bit tired of the underlying assumption that ALL Thai massage shops probably will give you a happy ending ! What BS! My wife and a few of her friends all trained at one of the 5 or 6 places in Thailand that teach their students therapeutic massage that looks more like a combination of acupressure, physio, and chiropractic. They've all been massaging both here and O/S for many years. The style of massage is very strong and there is absolutely no way you would get even remotely excited. Incidentally one of them in Bangkok has relatively few but well off customers. She charges them 20,000 baht for a course of sessions over a few months. Smart plan.

Interesting, how much anat & phys were they taught ? How long was the course ?

The average length of the course was about one year, including assessed and supervised sessions, and detailed study of human anatomy. They are always learning, and constantly upgrading their skills by peer practice sessions when they meet. This has been going on for at least 13 years since I have known them . They frequently get praise from a wide range of people including athletes, doctors and customers with chronic back injuries, neck, shoulder problems and restricted movement of arms and legs who have tried other conventional means without success.

A typical session for a chronic physical problem is often 2-3 hours, X 3 sessions. My wife sometimes teaches as well and draws by hand, anatomical diagrams for her students. Their latest new skill is a form of THAI acupressure taught by an 82 yr old women with hands like a vice. This week my wife and another masseuse are trying to fix a young thai guy in BKK with only partial movement in his legs, caused by an accident. He helps his mother with their market business. They are doing this for free, because its both a difficult case that presents a challenge for their skills, and the family are very poor.

• Like 1

I'm a bit tired of the underlying assumption that ALL Thai massage shops probably will give you a happy ending ! What BS! My wife and a few of her friends all trained at one of the 5 or 6 places in Thailand that teach their students therapeutic massage that looks more like a combination of acupressure, physio, and chiropractic. They've all been massaging both here and O/S for many years. The style of massage is very strong and there is absolutely no way you would get even remotely excited. Incidentally one of them in Bangkok has relatively few but well off customers. She charges them 20,000 baht for a course of sessions over a few months. Smart plan.

Interesting, how much anat & phys were they taught ? How long was the course ?

The average length of the course was about one year, including assessed and supervised sessions, and detailed study of human anatomy. They are always learning, and constantly upgrading their skills by peer practice sessions when they meet. This has been going on for at least 13 years since I have known them . They frequently get praise from a wide range of people including athletes, doctors and customers with chronic back injuries, neck, shoulder problems and restricted movement of arms and legs who have tried other conventional means without success.

A typical session for a chronic physical problem is often 2-3 hours, X 3 sessions. My wife sometimes teaches as well and draws by hand, anatomical diagrams for her students. Their latest new skill is a form of THAI acupressure taught by an 82 yr old women with hands like a vice. This week my wife and another masseuse are trying to fix a young thai guy in BKK with only partial movement in his legs, caused by an accident. He helps his mother with their market business. They are doing this for free, because its both a difficult case that presents a challenge for their skills, and the family are very poor.

we have a traditional thai hospital in our town and it has quite a few masseuses just as you describe. we use their services often.

• Like 1

Good post. I visit a massage spa in Soi Ekkamai. Several of the ladies there really know how to massage therapeutically. On my first visit the lady correctly found all of my old sports injuries. I had a VERY bad lingering shoulder injury from over training which had troubled for literally years. She spotted it and treated it - believe me it was very painful but since then, no problems. Physios had tried less successfully in the past in UK and UAE. They always ask "you want hard, soft medium" - I go for medium and don't think I could stand the hard! There is no way with this type of massage that someone is going to feel aroused. You need the tea and biscuit afterwards to recover !

I

If they are throwing in the crazier extras for free I doubt that is anything to do with the economic situation. I'd be intrigued to know what they are though. :-)

Not sure if I'm getting old but I prefer a decent massage to a happy ending nowadays. I can always sort that out myself, the massage is somewhat harder to achieve. :-)

Your story reminds me of the first time I ever went to Thailand and with a group of mates. A few of us were genuinely shattered from a few constant nights drinking and thought we'd get a massage. Having been offered all sorts previously we really only wanted a massage so thought the safest place to get it was the large hotel we were staying in with the 3 old ladies who must been about 90 years old each. We just assumed we were on safe ground with them and it being the hotel (naive looking back). Half way into it I get the accidental touch of you lower regions and then again so I quickly sh!t myself as I could see where this was going and the last thing I wanted was a woman who could've been my nans nan playing salt shaker with me, so I stopped her there. I could hear my other mate objecting to something so assumed he had the same issue.

We all come out about an hour later and the one mate who was in a different room comes out grinning like a cheshire cat, we knew instantly that he'd allowed his to carry on with it. There really wasn't any need to speak just the look on his face gave it away. Happy days. :-D

• Like 1

Sounds as if your friend has a very challenging, difficult and complicated life. I can't imagine having to deal with the terrible experiences you describe. He's lucky you're there to seek help for him and console him in his time of need.

Edited by marell
  • Like 2

"crazier extras for free"?

care to elaborate for the sake of amusement?

Well, don't want to be offensive but on one recent occasion he's been asked if he wants a typical happy ending and when he refused, the attendant offered to also "smoke" for free. Lady he's been going to for several years and who had never even hinted at happy endings and especially not along traditional Thai massage.

The place is also a rather high end shop where we'll heeled Thais go as well. If it's any indication, the 2 hour Thai message is 950 Baht.

And the extras for 300 Baht.

My guess is that the massage place has a new owner who wants to make more money by providing more services. I wouldn't use this one shop as an indicator of the entire Thai economy.

You can get a Happy Ending in the Oriental Hotel, so why not elsewhere...?

My forum moniker is Now Im Easy but when I first was traveling to Thailand, I called myself Now Im Hard. lol But this brings up my theory to add to this discussion. When I was young, massage girls often offered extra services, including boom boom, and the prices were not so bad. I had many offers of all night at my apartment. Now that I'm of the mind that a good kee is as good as a good boom boom, the girls who do my massages don't offer extras too often. Not that I'm old or fat, mind you, jess sayin'.

Maybe the OP's friend is a real hansum man and the girls are normal and healthy, and like to play with joos. But hey, that's just my opinion.

I woke up in Pattaya with a stiff neck . So I though good time to go for a massage after the first two shops stroked me up and down and grab my balls and wanted extra .. I though had enough of this and went to an up market parlour told the lady on reception about my experience with the other places she says no problem can do can do then begins to rub tiger balm on my neck witch was quite nice only then go strait to my ball sack for a good rub with the same hand full of tiger balm !! It took my mind off my sore neck believe me I was on fire .. Never again !!!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

In Pattaya try Eden massage for a good massage with no happy ending I've had heaps of oil massages their and have never been offered extras...tbh I'm thankful because the women they employ I could never get a boner over anyway.

I woke up in Pattaya with a stiff neck . So I though good time to go for a massage after the first two shops stroked me up and down and grab my balls and wanted extra .. I though had enough of this and went to an up market parlour told the lady on reception about my experience with the other places she says no problem can do can do then begins to rub tiger balm on my neck witch was quite nice only then go strait to my ball sack for a good rub with the same hand full of tiger balm !! It took my mind off my sore neck believe me I was on fire .. Never again !!!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

As Jerry Lee Lewis would say, "Goodness gracious, great balls of fire."

David

I often go to traditional massage places (not in tourist areas). I have never turned down a happy but I do try to avoid the younger masseuses as they tend to be lazy and inexperienced in the massage technique. I find that most traditional shops will not outright offer a happy but is you ask them to massage "Haam" many will do it especially if you are a repeat customer. They seldom ask for as special tip but I think they know it will be cuming. biggrin.png

Most of the massage shops in Chiang Mai have girls that do "extra things" but you have to let them know what you want in a subtle way. If she touches your private parts(as they often do) during the normal massage say quietly,"thats nice" or "I like that" this sends the girl the message.

One girl told me she touched a Japanese gentlemans private parts to "turn him on" and he gave her a black eye and ran down the street screaming,carrying his trousers over his arm.

But we must not forget it is all fun. Its a good laugh. The men are happy because,to use a North of England term,someone tickled their fancy and the girls are happy because they can fill their stomachs that night.....with food,I mean.

• Like 1