Seven Loy Krathong celebrants die in head-on bus collision in Thailand

webfact

Seven Loy Krathong celebrants die in head-on bus collision in Buriram

11-18-2013-9-20-51-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BURIRAM: -- Seven Loy Lrathong festival celebrants were killed and nine others seriously injured when a pick-up truck they were travelling in collided head-on with a passenger bus on Narong-Buriram road shortly before midnight last night.
The fatal accident happened on Kilometer 27 on the road from Nangrong to Buriram at about 11.30 p.m.

Police inspector Pol Maj Warakorn Chathaisong of Nong Song Hong district police station of Buriram said that the pickup truck with the Chachoengsao license plate police inspector was returning from Chonburi to Buriram with about 16 Loy Krathong celebrants and driver, while the tour bus with 30 passengers was heading for Rayong from Mukdarn province.

While the bus was near Kilometer 27 of the road, the driver noticed that the oncoming pickup-truck on the other lane of the road kept swaying from side to side. He then pulled the brake and parked by the roadside. But suddenly the truck lost control and rammed into his parked bus in full speed, the inspector said.

Six persons, including the truck driver, in the truck died at the scene while the bus driver also broke his leg from the collision. All the injured were later admitted to Buriram hospital where another passenger was pronounced dead on arrival.

Police said all the passengers in the pick-up truck was Loy Krathong celebrants who have joined in the boat competition as boat rowers in Chonburi yesterday and was returning homes in Buriram.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/seven-loy-krathong-celebrants-die-head-bus-collision-buriram/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-18

"...the pickup truck with the Chachoengsao license plate police inspector was returning from Chonburi to Buriram with about 16 Loy Krathong celebrants and driver."

I believe a pickup truck is designed to hold a maximum of 3 people in the front cab, and the bed is for non human cargo.? Why wasn't there any mention that the pickup was breaking the law by having 12 or more passengers in the bed? It was an accident for the bus passengers, but a fatal "crash" for the pickup since chances are this could have been prevented if there were the proper number of passengers in the truck, and alcohol/other drugs weren't involved (If further investigation determines they were). Of course there will continue to be such crashes as long as adequate road rules are not legislated and properly enforced

This was on Route 24 yes?

Apart from the 359, one road I dread the most.

RIP to those that didn't make it, and a speedy recovery to those that did.

More likely the 218 Thaddeus, direct Nang Rong-Buriram. I do however agree with you about the 24, one of the most dangerous stretches of road I have ever known. Why they keep on widening many of the roads in this area and seem to ignore this stretch is beyond me. Every time one travels this stretch there seems to have been a serious road accident.

RIP

...but than again: 16 (SIXTEEN) people in a pick up?

attachicon.gifthailand-pickup.jpg Anything is possible. Thailand the hub of possibilities.

I would think that was part of the reason it was swaying from side to side.

I don't understand this bit though.

said that the pickup truck with the Chachoengsao license plate police inspector was returning from Chonburi to Buriram

Is the police inspector part just a bad translation or something?

"...the pickup truck with the Chachoengsao license plate police inspector was returning from Chonburi to Buriram with about 16 Loy Krathong celebrants and driver."

I believe a pickup truck is designed to hold a maximum of 3 people in the front cab, and the bed is for non human cargo.? Why wasn't there any mention that the pickup was breaking the law by having 12 or more passengers in the bed? It was an accident for the bus passengers, but a fatal "crash" for the pickup since chances are this could have been prevented if there were the proper number of passengers in the truck, and alcohol/other drugs weren't involved (If further investigation determines they were). Of course there will continue to be such crashes as long as adequate road rules are not legislated and properly enforced

I think the number in the cab depends on the type. If there are 2 rows then maybe 3 in the back although there may be no seat belts and of course they are often not used.

I believe even in Thailand it's illegal to have people in the bed. I would think the whole country would grind to a halt if that were enforced.

RIP

Does anybody know what the law is about passengers in the back. It must be legal, otherwise how could songtaew's operate? I had a pickup some years back, and I know the insurance covered me for a ridiculously high number of passengers -- something like 10.

I recently witnessed a pickup accident near Hang Dong, I think there was 7 or 8. It was like a war zone. I am still having nightmares!

Unrestrained people and collisions = death. Maybe one day the Thai authorities will wake up to this and stop this ridiculous waste of human lives. So sad.

Every discussion is the same, why why dumb stupid why and why again... In which Thailand does anyone seriously think people witll stop riding in the back of pickups? IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN. neither will everyone wear helmets on MC's forget about it.. no matter how many police and how many laws and how well they are enforced it will still happen. the ones who ride there know the risks and accept them.

Furthermore pulling statistics out of my ass 90% of them are drunk drivers this is the one thing I believe they could do better enforcing on. this is the biggest problem. the other stuff is just a necessity, how are 16 poor people gonna get from Chechensao to Buriram and back quickly enought to get back to their toils and still have enough for beer??? On the bus? On the Train? Each one in their own car like in the West? but seriously let the 12 year old who is sober drive.. better chances I think.. :D

Shit happens - again and again.. reincarnation..

Every discussion is the same, why why dumb stupid why and why again... In which Thailand does anyone seriously think people witll stop riding in the back of pickups? IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN. neither will everyone wear helmets on MC's forget about it.. no matter how many police and how many laws and how well they are enforced it will still happen. the ones who ride there know the risks and accept them.

Furthermore pulling statistics out of my ass 90% of them are drunk drivers this is the one thing I believe they could do better enforcing on. this is the biggest problem. the other stuff is just a necessity, how are 16 poor people gonna get from Chechensao to Buriram and back quickly enought to get back to their toils and still have enough for beer??? On the bus? On the Train? Each one in their own car like in the West? but seriously let the 12 year old who is sober drive.. better chances I think.. biggrin.png

Shit happens - again and again.. reincarnation..

Nice rant.

Before I left the UK many years ago, it became a law that if you were caught driving a car while using a mobile phone, you were in trouble.

The problem was eradicated very quickly.

Now what is the difference between the boys in blue and the boys in brown?

Enforcement, revenue stream and attitude for starters.

"the tour bus with 30 passengers was heading for Rayong from Mukdarn province"

I take it that this was one of the yellow buses. Anyone know for sure?

13847407541384742441l.jpg

I think they need to extend their search area if many of the passengers were in the back of the pick-up. Maximum five bodies inside methinks.

RIP

...but than again: 16 (SIXTEEN) people in a pick up?

attachicon.gifthailand-pickup.jpg Anything is possible. Thailand the hub of possibilities.

Pick-up with 16 celebrants plus driver!

Almost like a Clarkson competition to see how many you can fit in a Mini.

Extreme even for Thailand.

Praise for the bus driver who did what he could.

• Like 1