Two Russian ATM skimming suspects arrested in Thailand

webfact

Russian ATM skimming suspects arrested

11-8-2013-10-25-22-AM2-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two Russian ATM skimming suspects were arrested late this morning in Nakhon Ratchasima province as they were withdrawing cash from a teller machine in front of Nakhon Ratchasima city hall.

Police said that Sherkie Pierturner, 38, a former Russian police officer, and Alersy Stiedter, 27, were apprehended by tourist police officer Sgt Nontaphand Saengsun after they were spotted withdrawing cash from a ATM machine in front of the city hall. Police said they accidentally dropped many ATM cards on the floor while withdrawing cash, prompting passers-by the alert the police.

Both were arrested with 2.9 million baht cash in their possession and 350 ATM cards, and three mobile phones.

Police said they suspected them to be responsible for the withdrawals of cash from ATM machines in Bangkok”s Wireless road last week.

Both are detained at the police station in Nakhon Ratchasima, awaiting bank officials to help them expand investigation into other ATM frauds in Bangkok and other provinces in the South.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/russian-atm-skimming-suspects-arrested/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-18

They're not ATM skimmers, these are the lowest in the pecking order of ATM fraud. Their job is just to withdraw money for a 10% commission.

The people that make, fit and control the skimming devices are usually well out of sight before these numbskulls come along and end up getting caught.

• Like 2

If you are taken by force and forced to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you enter you pin number backwards. You will still receive the funds. The machine automatically alerts the local police who know your location. But this is Thailand who knows? A little off topic but very relevant.

I can also tell you how to get into your car if you have locked the keys inside with remote, but have a copy of remote with a friend and a cell phone..

They're not ATM skimmers, these are the lowest in the pecking order of ATM fraud. Their job is just to withdraw money for a 10% commission.

The people that make, fit and control the skimming devices are usually well out of sight before these numbskulls come along and end up getting caught.

I would not settle for 10%, why wouldn't they just take all the money? Are they under threat of death if they do not return 90 %?

If you are taken by force and forced to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you enter you pin number backwards. You will still receive the funds. The machine automatically alerts the local police who know your location.  But this is Thailand who knows?     A little off topic but very relevant.

I can also tell you how to get into your car if you have locked the keys inside with remote, but have a copy of remote with a friend and a cell phone..

How?

If you are taken by force and forced to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you enter you pin number backwards. You will still receive the funds. The machine automatically alerts the local police who know your location. But this is Thailand who knows? A little off topic but very relevant...

what a load of rubbish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If you are taken by force and forced to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you enter you pin number backwards. You will still receive the funds. The machine automatically alerts the local police who know your location. But this is Thailand who knows? A little off topic but very relevant.

What if you pin number is say .... 1331 ???????????????????????????????? giggle.gif

• Like 1

Atm pin number backwards?? Its not the 1st of April buddy, also how can you lock your remote in the car? the remote is used to lock the car, that's what that button is pressed for & it goes beep beep . I just pinched myself for even replying to your post to wake up to myself.

What if you pin number is say .... 1331 ???????????????????????????????? giggle.gif

or 4444 ???????????????????????

• Like 1

Wow 10%. Why can I apply for the job.

According to the Thai National news on TV today, some tourist police are allegedly in on the scam.

• Like 1

So are any of these ATM guys actually going to jail or a Thai prison? I see many articles in the news papers and journals, but do they just pay a fine and get deported or are they actually incarcerated? It seems to me that the crime rates might be a bit lower if the Thais would show the the life the guys are living now in a Thai jail.

Two Russians, one Thai tourist police officer arrested for involvement with ATM skimmer gang; Bt2.9 million cash, 350 ATM cards found /MCOT

Anyone noticed yet that this reads slightly different from the OP ?

Apparently, too many folks here don't actually bother to read the details of the news items being posted.

The OP report in this thread indeed says the two suspects were ARRESTED BY a tourist police officer.

Then the brief follow-up MCOT item you quote above says the tourist police officer was one of those ARRESTED.

Why would I not be surprised if the 2nd version (the MCOT version) ends up being the correct one.

Recall, it was just a couple months ago that some suspects were arrested in Sukhumvit for kidnapping and forcing a couple of Italians to withdraw money from their accounts. And the reports said police officers were involved in that scam. And then, the follow-up on just what the police involvement was, or the apprehension of the supposed higher ranking officers involved, suddenly seemed to disappear.... whistling.gif

Four officers officially involved, two Sen. Sgt Majors apprehended and two Lts. still on the run from the followup reports... And no further mention made of the police major who reportedly was involved in the extortion.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/662860-nana-police-officers-on-the-run-after-abducting-italian-tourists-and-demanding-bt2m-ransom/page-9?hl=%2Bitalians+%2Bkidnapped#entry6755153

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/662971-bangkok-police-officers-suspended-over-alleged-extortion-of-italian-tourists/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Saw this on the Thai TV news tonight.

2 Russians and 1 Thai tourist policeman have been arrested and are currently in custody helping police with their inquiries.

It is said the policeman was paid 300000 baht for his part in the scam, but who knows for sure?

My guess is that the bulk of the money has been sent to Russia or to Eastern Europe and what is left is only the leftovers. Probably a worldwide scam being operated by Eastern European mafia gangs.

They`re out to get us, have to be forever on our guard.

Edited by Beetlejuice