Fatal Motorcycle Accident Near Pattaya Claims One Life

2. 54

Wine In Checked Baggage

3. 6

Words sentences that are offensive

4. 30

Tobbaco

5. 14

Why Does Kamala Harris Disrespect Minorities by Imitating their Accents.?

6. 2

Pickup Truck Driver Falls Asleep, Crashes into 2 Motorcycles, Leaving 1 Dead & 1 Injured

7. 509

Pattaya Bar/Go-Go Death Watch

8. 25

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

9. 2

Fatal Motorcycle Accident Near Pattaya Claims One Life

10. 25

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

11. 105

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

12. 509

Pattaya Bar/Go-Go Death Watch

13. 1,007

Its Happening - Law to Tax Overseas Income Now in Progress

Places online for information/reviews about Pattaya area restaurants

Jingthing

I am feeling there is a kind of a BLACK HOLE in really good online information about local restaurants.

Because of that I think many seekers of great food are probably missing out on some local gems that they just don't know about.

Yes, there is this forum, other forums, tripadvisorrolleyes.gif , local English language media with their blatant PUFF PIECE "reviews", but that doesn't fully add up to good reliable information such as you would find in the west in an urban area of this size.

(BTW, there does seem to be MUCH MORE good information online about Bangkok restaurants, but alas, talking about Pattaya here.)

Short of wishing there WAS such a focused localized web site, the point of this thread is to seek out additional online sources with this kind of information. That is, EXCEPT forums, as it's not Kosher to discuss other forums here.

For example, I found this random source which happens to be in Japanese language and found it very informative, the language issue isn't a problem using instant browser translations.

http://www.akgthailand.com/?id=restaurant

So if you know of any such informative sites (that are not just LISTS and tourism puff pieces), please share them. Yes, in ANY language.

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry can't help you. The dearth of such sites is probably due to the harsh libel, defamation, and business interference laws in Thailand.

There is a plethora of good restaurant information online about Bangkok (so MANY blogs) so that PROVES that it IS possible to do in Thailand. Not denying the issue you bring up exists, but I reject it as an EXCUSE for the lack of good information about Pattaya. If you're talking about a site dedicated to rudely DISS poor restaurants, well that wouldn't be prudent here of course, but again, that level of free speech is NOT needed to provide good information about places that are actually worthy of custom.

One problem with all the puff pieces in the local English media is that actually SOME of the places they write about do have merit, but since they puff every place they write about, their overall credibility becomes weak.

Why the lack of passion about Pattaya restaurants online? Well, in my view, it's just not a serious food loving city, people mostly don't come for the food or live here for the food, and I'm not only talking about sex tourists here.

There are also the local Thais. Largely not from here. Not really invested in the place as home. That likely impacts on the potential greatness of even the local Thai food here (with exceptions).

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry can't help you. The dearth of such sites is probably due to the harsh libel, defamation, and business interference laws in Thailand.

One problem with all the puff pieces in the local English media is that actually SOME of the places they write about do have merit, but since they puff every place they write about, their overall credibility becomes weak.

I thought the general practice, because of the aforementioned legal issues, was to only review places where they had a good experience, and if a place has not been reviewed positively by them then one was to draw a certain conclusion...similar to what we're advised to do on T-V?

I think your other points are valid as well...most, even long-term expats, are not here for the food. I know I'm not :)

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Anyway ...

However you want to characterize the current status quo of online restaurant information on offer about Pattaya, it is the status quo. That really wasn't meant to be the focus of this topic.

What I was seeking out here is OTHER sources that I (and others) might not know about that MIGHT already exist, in any language.

Like I said, I found that Japanese page very useful. It has good info on two authentic Japanese restaurants that I wasn't aware of before.

So I am wondering what else is out there?

Edited by Jingthing