3 month non-O visa and work permit.

Hey everyone, I'm a Canadian and I'm currently on a 3 month non-O visa which expires on the 26th of november. I finally got my work permit (for 1 year) today and I'm wondering if now I need to go to immigration in bangkok and change my 3 month visa over to something else? Or does my legal 1 year work permit take the place of my 3 month non-O. Thanks.

You either need to extend for a valid reason, such as employment with company documents and meeting the financial requirements or another valid reason (such as Thai wife/child). If not you must leave at current permitted to stay date and obtain a new non immigrant visa entry allowing work and return on that. Work permit does not allow you to stay.

As stated you need all the documents that got you the job and maybe a few more to get your extension, depending on the type of work that you are doing. You should not leave this till the last day go now, because you may need additional documents. Talk to your employer now.

Just to clarify, I actually have a non-B visa, not O (my mistake). I'm guessing that doesn't change anything? My school just gave me the work permit today and didn't tell me anything about what to do next so it's quite stressful.

Firist you need a "Waiver" for teachers license, that takes the longest, a map of the school, your schedule and as I posted previously and a letter stating why the need you as opposed to a Thai, asking Immigration to give you the extension...Plus all the relevant school documents. With a signed copy of the directors I.D. both sides. Copies of your degrees or certificates etc.... W.P. contract, Lease contract if renting, get your landlord to make one, they are a standard form, just put the dates in and rental amount.... Teaching must show schedule of 16 hours a week, no less.

I have been doing this for 4 years, 6 schools and there is always something more required, just as you think you know you have it together.... Fellow Canadian

AFAIK it is still Chiang Mai Office for extensions although they are opening an office in Lampang but only for 90 day address reporting now from last report.

Lampang Immigration Office
Last Updated by Maestro on Oct 24
Only for notification of staying longer than 90 days
GPS coordinates:
Latitude: 18.290372140246333
Longitude: 99.50236916542053
Phones: 089-433-0099, 083-152-6417
Source