Thailand ranked 55th in English proficiency: 60-nation ranking

webfact

I recently visited Japan and was quite surprised about how little English seemed to be spoken. It isn't only Thailand that struggles with English.

In some parts of UK, not only they struggle with it, but also torture and murder the languagelaugh.png

I think America has a hand in that. Favour-favor, tonight-tonite, get my drift, you know what I mean man ???

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently visited Japan and was quite surprised about how little English seemed to be spoken. It isn't only Thailand that struggles with English.

Again, this is being looked at the wrong way. Japan does not have a very large population of English speakers because ... they do not need them. Evidence is their huge success in almost all fields of interest to forming a strong, modern economy. It is NOT popular in Japan to study English from grade school - like it is in Thailand.

If, however, you encounter Japanese who do speak English (usually Japanese who have studied overseas in an English speaking country), you may find they outclass their Thai counterparts who have been learning English since very young age. You can't compare the East Asians to the Thais in this way. China, Japan, Korea - have tremendously strong economies by comparison and do not rely heavily (up to 25%) on tourism revenue.

Sama same. Unless you are a bar-girl in Nana or Cowboy, a typical Thai on the street don't need to know a word of English. Just like in Japan.

I'm not sure I agree. What will Thailand use to build a world-class economy? Japan & Korea did it through tremendous effort mostly in the sciences, for example. Can Thais accomplish the same without importing much knowledge from the English speaking world? Do Thais have a tradition of valuing the importance of education or a literary tradition in Thai language or a scientific tradition of any kind? Thailand and Korea/Japan/China are NOTHING alike in this regard. Really as different as Germany is from Slovenia.

So, you see "need" is the important word in your post. Do they "need" to speak English. Well, that might depend on how well they would really like to do and whether they think they can do it without acquiring knowledge from the outside or dealing with the outside (largely English speaking world). And, of course you have the AEC which makes its own argument for the importance of English as lingua franca.

At present, Thailand's GDP per capita is woefully low - especially given their supposed recent industrialisation. The Singaporeans, who Thailand was allegedly directly competing with starting more than 30 years ago, are more than 6 times more productive. Is English important? Probably.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Thailand is in the low 80s which is approaching middle income but the country does nothing to prepare for the middle income trap.

450px-Gdpercapita.PNG

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Like 1

In some parts of UK, not only they struggle with it, but also torture and murder the languagelaugh.png

...as does your post.

As long as xenophobia reigns and Thais consider themselves the center of the Universe, as long as expats are forbidden by law to voluntarily teach English and the established education bureaucracy remains rigid. English proficiency will not improve.

Even Thais with degrees from the U.S. speak English poorly e.g. Dr. Thaksin and P.M. Yingluck. I know a lot of hi so, foreign educated Thais and they speak 'pigeon' English without using tense, plural, gender, articles, and a host of small things that make one proficient in a language. I get what they are saying only because I have learned 'Bangkok English' (co la', com pu ter'). Even my best Thai friend, who owned a business in the U.S. for 25 years and has a law degree, will get the accents of a word so off that I have to ask him to spell the word to understand. I am from the Old South where poor white people speak Ebonics (black English) and even that is better than the English I get in Thailand. I once went to the head of the Faculty of English at Thammasat University to find a translator for a seminar that was being held in Thai. With great difficulty, I got her best senior English student (who is still a friend 14 years on) and she had great difficulty translating her Thai notes on the seminar into something I could make sense of.

The best spoken English I have ever heard was in the Netherlands, Denmark, Canada, Sweden, and Norway. Neither the U.S. nor the U.K. rank very high in my opinion. The above critique is only my experience and should not be interpreted as me not loving Thailand and Thai people. It is what it is, though.

I doubt if Cajuns would score very high on this test.

And it is reflected in their income levels.

I like to think of Isaan as Thailand's Cajuns. Like the Cajuns of Louisiana, they are mostly farmers, work seasonally, have their own unique music, have their own unique cuisine, and like to gamble and pass a good time. 'Laissez les bons temps rouler' Let the good times roll.

• Like 1

Given the speaking abilities of some English teachers I have met, I am not surprised. In some examples I can hear what they say through a thick European accent. How would a Thai student manage?

Cambodia, in my opinion, manages English better than Thai. Speaking by a bit. Writing and reading by a lot.

Some posters have made some very good points about the validity of a test of this nature.

In reality English in Thailand is not good and it will not improve whilst they have the everyone will pass system and fail to realise the importance of everyday interaction (in english) between students and the teacher (read here "students" between each other and teacher with their students).

In my experience many Thais (all ages) thirst for knowlege and practice of "english" and without being condecending it behoves on us "native speakers" to help where and when we can.

Interestingpoint is that some who have responded have left out - prepositions etc and are writing as they speak back in their burros which in many cases is understandable but not correct english, so if you wish to cast aspersions check your own backyard first.

A post criticizing another poster's use of English has been deleted. The topic isn't about other posters, it's about the ranking of Thailand in this survey.

It's odd that one post criticising another's use of English has been deleted whereas the one above that deserves criticism is allowed to remain.

I worked in Indonesia last year for 3 months. I work the office in Jakarta, the Shore Base on a little Island called Natuna and on the Drilling Rig. I found that I could speak English to anyone. I was most surprised on the small island of Natuna. We went out for dinner one night and everyone wanted to speak English with us. And well enough to understand. And they understood us. The Indonesian rig workers spoke English better than any bar girl I have ever been with in my 26 years here. Any of the places you have mentioned here on this thread, Patpong, Nana, Cowboy, Phuket, Chiang Mai or even Pattaya. Fortunately my daughter spent 2 years with me in the Middle East and she is fluent in both English and Thai and does pretty good in Arabic. Reading, Writing and Speaking. She helps her teachers in school with their English as the taught version of English no have adverbs and adjectives or grammar.

the difference is the Japanese education system teaches english grammar over conversation; yes in a way the Japanese struggle

in conversation but they certainly can read and write english.

Ouch. Vietnam is better. That will irk Thais to learn better English. NOT!

Unless you can claim, with proof, that Cambodians and the bad evil Burmese can speak better English, thereby forcing Thais to lose face, nothing will happen.

I've been in and out of Thailand for 25 years plus, lived and worked there full time for 6 years. If I hadn't learned Thai I couldn't have communicated with most of my staff, even at the most basic level.

I've also been in and out of Cambodia going on 20 years and the standard of English has improved considerably in that time. I've lived and worked here these past 6 years at corporate and local levels and have never had to learn more than the most basic Khmer to communicate with motodops and Tuk Tuk drivers, many of whom also have some English. As the only expat in a local company, English is spoken here. Similarly at home, my partner and her 13 year old both speak English, and they aren't from the 'high end' of Khmer society.

As I've commented before, Thais are a lazy people when it comes to learing or speaking English. Too many still believe, 'Thailand number one'......which it most certainly is not. I've also worked in China and Vietnam, where English is also more widely spoken.

They got 55th spot out of 60 coz 5 countries didn't participate . . . wink.png .

Last year survey they were 53rd, so they've dropped, but they are still above Kazakhstan in this year's survey.

I suppose they could be congratulated for that.

Edited by trevor4

Perhaps apart from improving the quality of teaching ,Dr KK should suggest to the government that a massive incentive could be gained by officially introducing English as the language of business and commerce. The provision of English language programs on TV in place of some of the hideous talk shows. Begin the transformation of legal and administrative documentation into dual language. Having a second language system is a top down scenario and not a bottom up exercise as he and so many of his piers would have us believe.

I think America has a hand in that. Favour-favor, tonight-tonite, get my drift, you know what I mean man ???

Haha. Unfortunately you have to face the fact that the UK's time atop the hill long expired and if it weren't for the creative Americans projecting power around the planet as they do, English wouldn't have the primacy it does & you wouldn't have so many friends here teaching the language, if it doesn't apply to yourself ;)

• Like 1

Most students are not interested to learn. Foreign teachers are not allowed to discipline the students. How can we help them???? I always do my best to educate them, making some stories that can encourage them to study well but still they"re not interested.

Edited by Shancloudy
  • Like 1

I don't want to be too cynical but I wonder how many of the Thais got away with cheating.

I think in almost every exam I give I see or catch at least one or two students trying to cheat. Sad but true.

Why do people always have to make reference to the Shinawats into every post?

Oak made an honest mistake. Not his fault, it's in his genes.

I can understand fully why most fall behind. They don't talk anymore from their mouth; all is discussed on a phone, iPod, laptop, computer and anything else electrical. They even walk into cars and streetlamps while texting. They have horrific accidents while texting in their car.
Teachers leave a bit to be desired in this country as well, especially the ones that allegedly hold English teaching certificates. My sister in law has taken the subjects of English, accounting and computer programming. She brings home some of her books when I am at her home and asks me to explain some words and sentences. These books obviously have not been proof read as they have a lot of sentences wrong and spelling is wrong. Not that I am an expert in English, but blind Freddy could see the mistakes. I corrected them and after she showed her English teacher, the teacher said they would look at the proof reading in future and did I want to work at the University.

I should have said yes, especially as I don’t have an English Teachers certificate.

• Like 2

Quite true! USA is one of those countries. The median active vocabulary of a college graduate is about 3,000 vocables.

This extant situation has remained so for the last 10 years.

For Thai people there is no need to learn English .. Why??? Watch the shows on TV .. only Thai screaming and "sanuk". shows or movies/soaps... . and if there is an English movie it is dubbed with all the same voices and very childish...

Thai people don't like to read, indeed because subtitles are too difficult.. Maybe should the whole education system be renewed..First learn to read and understand your own language and show on TV how important English is..

Even if the EP students in my school have their farewell party, the whole evening is in Thai... Why not in English???? But Thais will be Thais

Okay, so we all like to think that everyone everywhere should speak English!

I'd like to make just a couple of points:

1: How many people born and raised in English speaking countries do you think would have passed the test in question?

2: If you are a Thai who having fallen victim to advertising, decide to visit Australia, the U.K., the U.S.A, Canada.... and you walk into a

department store, super-market, restaurant or even a 5-Star Hotel and ask a question in Thai, do you think you'll have any luck?

Yes, I would like to hear more English spoken but we DO LIVE in Thailand and while we are on that subject, as a guest of Thailand, just how good is your spoken, let alone written Thai? I'll be honest.....mine is Nid Noi.

• Like 2

Meaningless survey. It doesn't reflect on the English proficiency within the country - only the proficiency of people who choose to take the test. People who know they're useless at English won't even bother. One possible interpretation of the results would be "people in Thailand think they're much better at English than they really are; people from Malaysia know they're not very good, so only the most able bothered to take the test".

I regard surveys as tools ro help me arrive at my own conclusion.

Meaningless survey. It doesn't reflect on the English proficiency within the country - only the proficiency of people who choose to take the test. People who know they're useless at English won't even bother. One possible interpretation of the results would be "people in Thailand think they're much better at English than they really are; people from Malaysia know they're not very good, so only the most able bothered to take the test".

I regard surveys as tools to help me arrive at my own conclusion.

Edited by Benmart

To bad they did not survey America. It would have been an interesting result I think.cheesy.gif

What's wrong with American people in using English Language?... In Philippines we are using American English the pronounciation and spelling are easy to remember. In Philippines there are many engineers, architects working in UAE, lots of nurses, caregivers and doctors working in western countries. If there's a problem in using american english so why filipinos are very competitive and can find a job abroad and can win in international beauty pageant ( the contestant can answer the questions ) and any competition.

Now tell me what's wrong in using American English????????

The problem here in Thailand is most people are not interested to learn...........

• Like 1

To bad they did not survey America. It would have been an interesting result I think.cheesy.gif

What's wrong with American people in using English Language?... In Philippines we are using American English the pronounciation and spelling are easy to remember. In Philippines there are many engineers, architects working in UAE, lots of nurses, caregivers and doctors working in western countries. If there's a problem in using american english so why filipinos are very competitive and can find a job abroad and can win in international beauty pageant ( the contestant can answer the questions ) and any competition.

Now tell me what's wrong in using American English????????

The problem here in Thailand is most people are not interested to learn...........

I think rotary didn't mean by American English but the American's themselves.