Thailand ranked 55th in English proficiency: 60-nation ranking

webfact

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meaningless survey. It doesn't reflect on the English proficiency within the country - only the proficiency of people who choose to take the test. People who know they're useless at English won't even bother. One possible interpretation of the results would be "people in Thailand think they're much better at English than they really are; people from Malaysia know they're not very good, so only the most able bothered to take the test".

• Like 2

Having lived in South Korea, I can tell you that this poll and many like it are meaningless. Spoken English used by people who are "working age" is virtually non-existent in South Korea. Seoul may have higher standards than the rest of the country; however, that is to be expected from a cosmopolitan capital city. In my experience, Bangkok's residents have much better spoken English than their Seoul counterparts!

I agree. The general level of spoken English of the population as a whole is not too bad in Thailand and the ranking would be much higher if this were being tested.

Academic English (IELTS TOEFL etc) is a different story and I can well believe Thailand being at the bottom. A lot of it is cultural - these tests usually require giving strong opinions and analysing data, both things Thais are just not used to doing.

Well, at least the hub of English proficiency is out of the question.

One hub Thailand will have to miss out on.

More seriously though, it is somewhat worrying that a country with such a high tourism numbers lacks English skills

But then again, look at current PM, who after living and studying masters in US, still can not string few words together, doubt masters in USA were ran in Thai

• Like 2

Having lived in South Korea, I can tell you that this poll and many like it are meaningless. Spoken English used by people who are "working age" is virtually non-existent in South Korea. Seoul may have higher standards than the rest of the country; however, that is to be expected from a cosmopolitan capital city. In my experience, Bangkok's residents have much better spoken English than their Seoul counterparts!

I too have lived in Korea - Seoul and Pusan, and I disagree. Koreans are generally far better English speakers. Couple of my Korean workmates even told me stories of a popular procedure to cut a piece of their tongues in order to assist with better pronunciation of English. There might be more people in Thailand (given its heavy reliance on tourism, and specifically bar-girl/massage-girl, etc sex tourism) who can put together a basic "hi mister, where you go?", but for Koreans who do proclaim to speak English, Koreans are far and away MUCH better speakers on an order of magnitude.

You can't even find decent Thai speakers of English in the Thai media. They are all taught the same mistakes across this country. Not true of Korea, at all.

• Like 1

Some posters have made some very good points about the validity of a test of this nature.

In reality English in Thailand is not good and it will not improve whilst they have the everyone will pass system and fail to realise the importance of everyday interaction (in english) between students and the teacher (read here "students" between each other and teacher with their students).

In my experience many Thais (all ages) thirst for knowlege and practice of "english" and without being condecending it behoves on us "native speakers" to help where and when we can.

Interestingpoint is that some who have responded have left out - prepositions etc and are writing as they speak back in their burros which in many cases is understandable but not correct english, so if you wish to cast aspersions check your own backyard first.

• Like 1

I recently visited Japan and was quite surprised about how little English seemed to be spoken. It isn't only Thailand that struggles with English.

Again, this is being looked at the wrong way. Japan does not have a very large population of English speakers because ... they do not need them. Evidence is their huge success in almost all fields of interest to forming a strong, modern economy. It is NOT popular in Japan to study English from grade school - like it is in Thailand.

If, however, you encounter Japanese who do speak English (usually Japanese who have studied overseas in an English speaking country), you may find they outclass their Thai counterparts who have been learning English since very young age. You can't compare the East Asians to the Thais in this way. China, Japan, Korea - have tremendously strong economies by comparison and do not rely heavily (up to 25%) on tourism revenue.

Sama same. Unless you are a bar-girl in Nana or Cowboy, a typical Thai on the street don't need to know a word of English. Just like in Japan.