My New Security Program...

Lancelot

The Xena alarm will keep going off because people bump into it, untill you get bored of it and disable it.

Since you have front and rear brake discs, I would think that a decent quality disc lock on front and rear disc, placed before and behind the brake caliper so that the bike neither can't be moved forward nor backwards would be a good idea.

• Like 1

The Xena alarm will keep going off because people bump into it, untill you get bored of it and disable it.

Since you have front and rear brake discs, I would think that a decent quality disc lock on front and rear disc, placed before and behind the brake caliper so that the bike neither can't be moved forward nor backwards would be a good idea.

Or people stop bumping my bike :)

In regards to disc locks.

It is not just bumping it is wind which also sets it off.

Especially if you cover your bike.

No need for super glue speaker etc. Just pull the battery.

It is not like anyone comes running when they hear noise in Thailand anyway.

Disc lock are probably the best simple solution.

Since bike cant roll & cannot be cut off easily.

But in the end nothing is 100% if they really want your bike.

Edited by meechai

good setup.

instead of an alarmed disc lock, you can consider a proper bike alarm that does not go off like xena. I had one on my cbr150 and it was quite useful and never went off easily. They sell them cheap like 100 USD, check e bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Way-LCD-Remote-Control-Engine-Start-Motorcycle-Security-Alarm-System-/111169008301?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e23072ad&vxp=mtr

or for cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Security-Alarm-System-Remote-Control-Engine-Start-/181125066232?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2be52df8&vxp=mtr

also, better get the bike chained very tight and very close to the bars - no slack chain - so they cannot work on locks or chain.

hope all goes well this time Lancelot, good luck.

I had a Triumph Spitfire when I was younger with a soft-top, I never locked the car as they would have cut the roof to get in.

As a very simple but effective security measure, I wired a switch into the low tension wire to the coil, so the engine would crank but not start. A thief would first have to know it was installed (not just a pain to start) and then find where it was, so virtually impossible without intel.

You could do the same on a bike by wiring the switch to the engine cut-out, then hide it.

It was very easy to use so I did whenever I parked the car at my GF's place.

I had a disc lock back in the UK, great until you forget it is there and try to drive away, expensive!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had a disc lock back in the UK, great until you forget it is there and try to drive away, expensive!!

I wonder how you can forget a thing like that. On a xena disk lock you will hear sound firs even if not i usually have to move the bike a bit before i can start and so i would feel it way before i turn the engine on and drive off. Not to mention if you always lock your bike like that it forms an habbit and you wont forget.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

Or people stop bumping my bike smile.png

My Xena was OK but I found it very sensitive, kept going off with vibrations and would also go off if not parked over solid ground, e.g. parked on grass area which must have had some hollow ground beneath, weird at first but annoying.

Also in house I park the bike with both wheels off ground and it will arm, and then go off, had to put one wheel on ground and that wheel was the one to place it on.

I use ' Pete Smiles ' way now and have taken the battery out the Xena and have a standard disc lock for the rear.

I want to get a decent chain as well, IMO this is always a good overnight additional protection.

Edited by Kwasaki

That is why they have something called disc cable like an elastic telephone cord.

I bought a xena one from panda rider for 150 thb. You just attach one end to the disc and attach the other end to the throttle or front brake therefore you never forget it. Also you can use it to lock your helmet etc if you want.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-184955-13851896488381_thumb.jpg

I cover & lock so when I leave I always remember to unlock while uncovering etc.

even though I have disabled the alarm. But really even if one forgot I cannot imagine much if any damage.

After all the first thing your going to do is roll back out of parking or forward etc.

I dont imagine too many folks start the cold bike rev it to 10k & pop the clutch.

But I am sure if someone just kept trying to move with the lock against the caliper or fork leg I guess they

could break something if they really tried.

Edited by meechai

Yes, that would prevent them from driving away- but the b@stards pushed my CBR250 and a Ninja250 away. They never bothered to even try to start them

Good point, rather easier to push than a car, how about a simple mercury switch and latching relay, wired to the horn? All operated by the same switch, worse case you come back to a flat battery unless you incorporate a timer.

I have always wondered about these disc locks, you jump on the bike ride off and whack! I big dent/bulge in you brake disc.

I have always wondered about these disc locks, you jump on the bike ride off and whack! I big dent/bulge in you brake disc.

I have always wondered where this thought comes from?

The wheel can make a quarter turn at most with a disc lock.

How much speed/damage do you think you can sustain from that?

i forgot to take the padlock off the front disc of my SV650 once...went like 1 foot and BAM laid her down, cracked fairing and my foot was pinned under the bike. facepalm.gif that doesnt happen with the rear wheel....across the street was a big office building with tinted windows, i couldnt see anyone, but i know someone had to be laughing. cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

its wise to put any kind of disc lock on the rear wheel, just incase you forget its there...and ive forgotten plenty of times.

you wont travel far enough to cause any damage to the disc or anything else, unless you do a drag race start, and most times your going to be backing the bike up first.

Front brake lever locks also work good, they lock the front brake in place and the bike wont budge....i do wonder though, how it would effect the seals with prolonged pressure applied.

Edited by KRS1

'Front brake lever locks also work good, they lock the front brake in place and the bike wont budge....i do wonder though, how it would effect the seals with prolonged pressure applied.'

Won't make em better!

Use this setup and never forget my disc lock. Xena non alarmed x2 disc lock - 14 mm lock, quite strong - and xena cable. It does not fit my rear disc due to 14 mm thick lock.

Also if you dont have a cable, lock the disc from upper side just centimeters to the fender or fork like in the photo even more closer. This way, slightest movement, you remember it and no harm to disc.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-184955-13852172271183_thumb.jpg

A quarter turn is about 5 inches.

So the equation is this:- What damage can you do to mild steel with 10hp of force on a 200kg hammer swung over 5 inches? I would say enough to screw up your brakes which work on very small clearances.

But you may be lucky the first couple of times, but it wouldn't be my first choice for security. I even leave my night glasses at home when I go out in the afternoon. End up riding home with flies in my eyes.

So the equation is this:- What damage can you do to mild steel with 10hp of force on a 200kg hammer swung over 5 inches? I would say enough to screw up your brakes which work on very small clearances.

But you may be lucky the first couple of times, but it wouldn't be my first choice for security. I even leave my night glasses at home when I go out in the afternoon. End up riding home with flies in my eyes.

90 percent of the time i have to move my bike by hand and usually backwards so it wont have much force at all.

I wonder where you get your numbers from as you can also put the lock closer to the fork making the distance travelled even less. Also how do you get to 10 hp do you have anything to back your claims up ?

I always pull out at real slow speed i doubt it would generate much force. But of course the first thing is ones brain so how much do you forget.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

So the equation is this

So you sit on your bike roll back a fraction & that is 10hp hammer slam?

Geezzus You know it is best folks who cannot even remember their bike is locked to just stay home.

Really I am really amazed this simple task is such a hurdle for someone about to get on a motorcycle.

Some say they have even crashed???? causing much damage & embarrassment.

Really stay home, stay off the roads for the sake of yourself & mainly others.

Who knows what else you may forget next.

So the equation is this

So you sit on your bike roll back a fraction & that is 10hp hammer slam?

Geezzus You know it is best folks who cannot even remember their bike is locked to just stay home.

Really I am really amazed this simple task is such a hurdle for someone about to get on a motorcycle.

Some say they have even crashed???? causing much damage & embarrassment.

Really stay home, stay off the roads for the sake of yourself & mainly others.

Who knows what else you may forget next.

There is always some fool on this forum, fortunately the majority are sensible and constructive.

This lock is not a high visibility device and I can image forgetting it is there on a hot afternoon after a busy day, so not at all unreasonable to forget about something you cannot immediately see. On a few occasions over the years I have started my car in gear, who hasn't?

.....Obviously just you.

and if you don't think it will damage the disc give it a try.

• Like 1

I had a disc lock that I used on my old Hayabusa- due to the shape of the lock, I could only fit it on a certain spot on the front disc- it was moved by someone (a maintenence man, I believe, but of course no one admitted to it) and a chunk was ripped out of my front fender (I think it was $200 for a new one)- I never heard of someone actually damaging anything associated with the braking system due to forgetting a lock- I guess it would be possible if you really nailed it.

Wow, so much anti disc alarm lock sentiment here...

I have retrained myself look at both discs (for locks) and also to look at both axel nuts for tightness.

Personally speaking when some one bumps my bike and sets off the alarm, I view that as a justified (alarm), not a false one. I don't want people sitting on and screwing around with my bike :)

The first night I placed the alarm at the 12 O'clock position, the most sensitive and there was one evening alarm and one morning alarm. Both times I heard laughter and I knew some one was touching my CBR. I now place the alarm at the 6 O'clock position and its much less sensitive. There have been no more alarms :)

Trash Xena locks all you want but I'm happy with mine and I intend to use it. After having one bike stolen I will use all the security I can get.

Ride on :)

• Like 2

This lock is not a high visibility device and I can image forgetting it is there on a hot afternoon after a busy day, so not at all unreasonable to forget about something you cannot immediately see. On a few occasions over the years I have started my car in gear, who hasn't?

Putting a bike lock(s) on a bike has to become a habit and done every-time you leave the bike out of sight. Just like always checking the car is in neutral before starting! Or better yet not leaving a car in gear when parked. When it becomes a habit you will not attempt to ride off with locks attached.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1