My New Security Program...

Lancelot

There is always some fool on this forum

Yes & they posts alarmist ( no pun intended ) views about 10 hp of hammer

force destroying this & that.

The rest of us have the simple wherewithal to know what we need

to do before riding. Helmet, boots,gloves,jacket, unlock bike, check fuel etc.

Jeez

Edited by meechai

Putting a bike lock(s) on a bike has to become a habit and done every-time you leave the bike out of sight. Just like always checking the car is in neutral before starting! Or better yet not leaving a car in gear when parked. When it becomes a habit you will not attempt to ride off with locks attached.

Exactly thumbsup.gif

its inevitable that at some point in time you will forget to unlock the bike.

out of 1000 times ive forgotten about 5 times.

thats 0.5% ...... if you say you havent, thats just because it hasnt happened to you yet ;) it will happen, believe me it will.

I looked at buying a disc lock for the front wheel of my NV400 and considered it a risk, as the wheel could travel up to 270 degrees before it hit the caliper and under power that is a huge force. Other bikes may be built differently, I don't know, so I am voicing my personal concerns, not idly slagging a product.

Also I don't live in a high crime area and the bike has a steering lock anyway. If I did have concerns I would go down the engine cut-out mercury switch route, it works almost as well but with no risk.

If you park a car on a hill it is always advisable to the leave the car in gear, in case of hand brake failure, this was an old school rule, indeed in the highway code and it does no harm today. So I don't see the need for this antagonistic "I never make mistakes" crap.

I thought I read that with alarms like the Xena you could just drop some superglue through the holes and freeze up the speaker, thus eliminating it. Is this true, or just for older models or.. ?

You're having a laugh right?

Why would some one pay extra money for an alarm lock, only to disable it?

But if I were to disable the alarm, I would simply remove the battery.

But gee, what if its solar powered? whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

I thought I read that with alarms like the Xena you could just drop some superglue through the holes and freeze up the speaker, thus eliminating it. Is this true, or just for older models or.. ?

No, I was talking about potential thieves disabling the alarm themselves.

Only the cheap copy locks have external holes in the main face

Xena has only the key hole. Although they may have a small hole pointing down

But even a cheap lock I cannot imagine anyone able to drizzle super glue into the speaker holes.

Lets say they did though...then what? They still need to physically carry the whole bike

I am sure if someone really wants your bike they will arrange it.

All we can do is try to make it more difficult.

Edited by meechai

I looked at buying a disc lock for the front wheel of my NV400 and considered it a risk,

Also I don't live in a high crime area and the bike has a steering lock anyway.

Oh snap....all this talk from you was theoretical?

Never had one, never used one, never had an instance of the 10hp hammer etc?

Ok thanks

OK, point taken :)

I'm using two chains, two different style locks and one disc alarm lock.

At the end of the day skilled and determined thieves will get it if they want it...

Any way, did the Samoeng Loop today and explored a trail off Samoeng village.

post-2362-0-02772800-1385305773_thumb.jppost-2362-0-18072900-1385305795_thumb.jppost-2362-0-16302800-1385305819_thumb.jp

It seems it did only apply to cheaper bike alarms. Though I found a few thread about Xena alarms just being snapped in my search for the whole superglue thing. However, my guess is that while you could snap the alarm, your set up would still mean they would have to go through the rest while the alarm is going off, making it a bigger nuisance than it's worth. Hope you have way better luck this time!

Depending on how professional these guys are, they will come back to the same spot. Actually in the "Former bike thief - ask me anything" AMA on reddit, the guy said even professional bike thieves like to hit the same spot again.

On those rare occasions when there was stuff stolen from people I know, the thieves always came back. If you know this, you can use it against them.

Example, a guest house of friends of mine up in the north had a problem with thieves once; they broke into bungalows and stole stuff from travelers. Thai husband of my friend grew up in the jungle, setting traps for wildlife; so he went to set up a bunch of booby traps around the perimeter. They did not catch the thief but one of the traps had gone off and there was a whole lot of blood spread about.... thieves did not return. TiT 555.

Edited by nikster

It seems it did only apply to cheaper bike alarms. Though I found a few thread about Xena alarms just being snapped in my search for the whole superglue thing. However, my guess is that while you could snap the alarm, your set up would still mean they would have to go through the rest while the alarm is going off, making it a bigger nuisance than it's worth. Hope you have way better luck this time!

I'm sure any alarm, lock chain can be defeated, given enough time and determination/skill of the thieves. I hope to discourage them to move on to an easier target :)

There is one video on Youtube where a thief pulls up to a large 1,000 cc bike, changes the lock barrel out; pulls a cutting torch out of his back pack and cuts off a massive disc lock on the front wheel and one of those expensive hardened chains on the back wheel.

Takes him all of three minutes...

I'm sure any alarm, lock chain can be defeated, given enough time and determination/skill of the thieves. I hope to discourage them to move on to an easier target :)

There is one video on Youtube where a thief pulls up to a large 1,000 cc bike, changes the lock barrel out; pulls a cutting torch out of his back pack and cuts off a massive disc lock on the front wheel and one of those expensive hardened chains on the back wheel.

Takes him all of three minutes...

for my next bike be it Ducati or Honda, i will install a nice proper bike alarm and a gps tracker for sure on top of a conventional xena disc lock.

Bike alarms and gps trackers are not expensive nowadays.

for my next bike be it Ducati or Honda, i will install a nice proper bike alarm and a gps tracker for sure on top of a conventional xena disc lock.

Bike alarms and gps trackers are not expensive nowadays.

I'm going to look in to that as well :)

Depending on how professional these guys are, they will come back to the same spot. Actually in the "Former bike thief - ask me anything" AMA on reddit, the guy said even professional bike thieves like to hit the same spot again.

This is the same for house burglary. One your house has been burgled the chances of it happening again are much higher than the instance of the first event. Google "repeat burglaries"

• Like 1

I looked at buying a disc lock for the front wheel of my NV400 and considered it a risk,

Ok thanks

I haven't put my head in a lions mouth either, to find out whether it bites.

I tend to think about potential dangers before I try something.

I have seen how easy a brake disc can be damaged and even the smallest amount of deformation can render it useless and therefore dangerous.

I personally wouldn't put any steel component through a brake disc and that is my advice.

If you do everything without first thinking a bout it, more fool you.

Try to find something constructive to say....

Ok thanks

I haven't put my head in a lions mouth either, to find out whether it bites.

I tend to think about potential dangers before I try something.

I have seen how easy a brake disc can be damaged and even the smallest amount of deformation can render it useless and therefore dangerous.

I personally wouldn't put any steel component through a brake disc and that is my advice.

If you do everything without first thinking a bout it, more fool you.

Try to find something constructive to say....

if you want to hear something constructive, i can say, your advice is not reasonable Allan.

All these companies like Xena sure do some researches and if their products are that dangerous, sure they went for bankruptcy or closed by authorities long time ago.

But, millions of riders use their disc locks with satisfaction except you and you miss the practicality of it unfortunately.

I use disc locks for a long time and rarely forget the lock but never damaged my disc or bike because of it.

• Like 2

if you want to hear something constructive, i can say, your advice is not reasonable Allan.

All these companies like Xena sure do some researches and if their products are that dangerous, sure they went for bankruptcy or closed by authorities long time ago.

But, millions of riders use their disc locks with satisfaction except you and you miss the practicality of it unfortunately.

I use disc locks for a long time and rarely forget the lock but never damaged my disc or bike because of it.

+1

Allan prefers theoretical knowledge over facts from those of us who have used

such products for many years & never had an incident.

Using his methods of risk aversion he should not be on Thai roads period.

Its all good. Allan no offense but it is just hard to read

posts like yours yet you never used it. Many of us do use such devices & have no problems what so ever.

Do as you like but do not theoretically put down a product you have never used

Edited by meechai

• 2 weeks later...

Disc lock might have slowed these guys down.

I do not think they could easily carry the bike that far as they had trouble lifting it when going around the security gate

Also how dumb is a security gate you can roll around? :lol:

Look how easily he snaps the steering lock.

Disc lock might have slowed these guys down.

I do not think they could easily carry the bike that far as they had trouble lifting it when going around the security gate

Also how dumb is a security gate you can roll around? :lol:

Look how easily he snaps the steering lock.

Wow. Here goes 400 k thb easily!

This video made me double sure to get a gps tracker and proper alarm to my new bike. I am also hearing lots of bike theft nowadays.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app