Scams, accidents in Thailand scare away foreign tourists

webfact

TOURISM
Scams, accidents scare away tourists

THE NATION

30220267-01_big.jpg
Pattaya city is a key destination for Russian tourists.

Thailand's attractiveness to foreign tourists is under threat from fraud and poor safety standards.

BANGKOK: -- After a recent bus accident in Chon Buri that injured 26 Russian tourists, the Russian Union of Travel Industry (RUTI) recently urged Thai authorities to improve safety standards, or face a possible boycott by its members.

Narin Tijayung, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT)'s office in Moscow, said the RUTI submitted a letter addressed to the Tourism Ministry via the office calling for concise, practical measures to ensure the safety of Russian tourists in the Kingdom.

The RUTI also reportedly demanded the Thai government solve these issues by the end of November, otherwise it will consider taking action to maintain the safety of Russian citizens. This action could include cancellation of all scheduled charter flights from Russia throughout the period of December 2013 to March 2014.

If the cancellations go ahead, other countries in the region - such as Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam - would be picked as destinations instead of Thailand, the letter reportedly warned.

Officials from the TAT and the ministries of Tourism and Transport will hold a meeting on November 26 to discuss the Russian complaints, according to Transport Minister Somsak Pureesrisak.

In the first 10 months of this year, Thailand welcomed 791,755 Russian tourists or 5.72 per cent of 13.85 million visitor arrivals at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports, according to the TAT. The number rose 33.84 per cent from last year.

Meanwhile, the Department of Special Investigation will inspect 20 jewellery shops in Greater Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Samui and other locations after the Tourism Ministry reported complaints of price gouging and cheating of foreign customers.

Permanent secretary Suwat Sidthilaw said yesterday after submitting the ministry's request for a probe to Tarit Pengdith, director-general of the DSI, that at least 20 tourists have filed complaints of being duped. The latest case was a Portuguese national who was fooled into buying fake jewellery from a Bangkok shop, so the DSI must take action against these daring con artists. He said the practice of selling overpriced products to foreign visitors was damaging to the jewellery business, which was a key source of income for the country, contributing Bt2 billion-Bt3 billion a year.

Tarit said the DSI would now seriously crack down on these offenders - who often changed the names of the shops and owners but rarely the location - and the tour guides and tuk-tuk drivers who act as their accomplices. The DSI already has a list of some 20 suspicious jewellery shops to check out. The agency would soon join with the Tourism Ministry to open an operations centre to stamp out the racketeers targeting tourists, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-22

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Officials Scrambling To Ward Off Russian Boycott

By Khaosod Online

BANGKOK: -- Following a boycott threat by the Russian tourism business federation, Thai officials are coordinating efforts aimed to improve safety standard for foreign tourists in the country.

The Russian Union of Travel Industry (RUTI) has previously submitted a letter to the Moscow office of Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), demanding Thai government to ensure the safety of Russian tourists traveling in Thailand after a series of accidents and crimes which saw Russian tourists killed and injured.

The letter reportedly called for an improvement of tourism safety in Thailand to be in place by the end of November, otherwise the members of the trade union will cancel all their charter flights to Thailand.

Today, Mr. Somsak Pureesrisak, Minister of Tourism and Sports, said he has informed Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra of the issues, and that he will chair a meeting on 26 November with Ministry of Transport and representatives of Tourism Council of Thailand in order to devise policies in compliance with the Russian demands.

The Russian ambassador in Thailand will also be invited to attend the meeting, Mr. Somsak added.

"Let me assure you that the Ministry is already doing its best to protect every tourist from every nation," Mr. Somsak said, explaining that the Ministry of Transport will be tasked with reducing number of traffic accidents, while the Ministry of Tourism and Sports will serve as coordinator that listened to the complaints.

He also told our correspondent he will instruct the Ministry to investigate why many accidents have occured with Russian tourists.

Ms. Piyamai Techapaiboon, chairwoman of Tourism Council of Thailand, admitted that many vehicles used by tour companies to ferry foreign tourists to their destinations in Thailand are not up to universal safety standard. Therefore, she said, the officials will focus on enforcing the regulation on safety of public transportation.

"Thailand has extensive laws regulating the safety of these transports, but the laws are seldom enforced," Ms. Piyamai said, adding that she will also inquire why increasing number of Russian tourists fall victims to accidents in Thailand.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE5UQXpNekkwT0E9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-11-22

Is this a joke? I can just imagine Boris the Blade sitting in Moskova one of the most dangerous cities in the world saying "I ain't going to Pattaya it's too scary"

Scam's? accidents?

Manchester London Paris Rome

come to Pattaya it feels like home :0)

There's some truth in that. We saw numerous scams in action in Paris, including an attempted pickpocket. I had an attempt on me in Madrid. The guy in the room next to us in Rome lost his passport and wallet on that infamous bus route. Wife had her purse stolen in Lisbon. All over a 6 week holiday there.

The only difference in Europe is, for the most part, the police are honest super helpful. For the most part...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

yep by the end of november by the powers of the highly educated the scams and accidents will cease to be, no need for any boycot,

it never ceases to amaze me how the fear of financial loss could motivate a government to act

thailand, always moving forward

Agree moving forward, down hill :P

Thailand's attractiveness to foreign tourists is under threat from fraud and poor safety standards. Never utter rot and rubbish I don’t believe a word of it TAT expect an extra gazillion more in 2014

Edited by metisdead
Font
  • Like 1

These scams have been going on for over twenty years.

The first time I came here I was warned about the jewellery scam and many years later i decided to go and see what it was all about. I was led into a huge shop with a "one way lane". The only way I could get out was by passing all the counters , where I was met by smiling Thai people. I just smiled and said "no thanks.. too expensive."

As I neared the exit the smiles became fewer and fewer and they offered to take my credit card and so on.

Anyway what I mean to say is that these scams have been going on for years and years and they haven't frightened the tourists away yet. The government knows about these scams, many tourists know about them and avoid them.

No on cares or bothers to do anything about them.

This is just a show that will last a few days and then all will be "back to normal."

As for traffic safety, this requires a total upheaval of driving habits and will take years to implement and is also virtually impossible.

Upheaval? and the rest.

start with driver educatioon at high school, then introduce L plates then P plates, where the trainee must drive with a licenced driver for a certain period.

Enforce traffic regulations, train the police to do a professional job. Enforce helmets day and night, no red light running, no tailgaiting.

Yes, the list goes on and on.

It will take a strongman or woman to see the job through.

• Like 1

Is it just possible that for once the so called officials here make a statement that bears any resemblance to reality! They are all either so removed from things they do not know where to begin or they are completely afarid of losing face that they just blirt out all these absurd replies to any problems! In the last few weeks they have denied the World court, the IMF, the Thai courts, etc etc - it's becoming a total farce- and does'nt look like getting any better. Inspecting 20 jewellry shops is definitely going to solve the problem especially as they have advertised the fact in advance!

At least, Russia acts.

Have you ever seen a Western government doing anything of importance to protect their citizens in Thailand?

Its not the Russian Government it is the tourist association. More than likely didn't pay for the charters and hotel rooms, pocketed the money and now need a way out. Just cancel everything because of safety and then tell everyone no refund always read the fine print.

In stark comparison to Holidaying in Russia, taking into account the risk of scams, taxi rip-offs and Police extortion problems with their own country, Thailand must be a Shangri la for Russians.

If Thailand was safe enough for the likes of Vladimar Putin to visit; monkey see, monkey do, the rest will come. Sure, we know Thailand has a lot of catching up to do but this is nothing short of an attempt by RUTI to make Russians holiday within their own boring corrupt society. Look who’s calling the kettle black!

Edited by metisdead
Font
  • Like 2

These scams have been going on for over twenty years.

The first time I came here I was warned about the jewellery scam and many years later i decided to go and see what it was all about. I was led into a huge shop with a "one way lane". The only way I could get out was by passing all the counters , where I was met by smiling Thai people. I just smiled and said "no thanks.. too expensive."

As I neared the exit the smiles became fewer and fewer and they offered to take my credit card and so on.

Anyway what I mean to say is that these scams have been going on for years and years and they haven't frightened the tourists away yet. The government knows about these scams, many tourists know about them and avoid them.

No on cares or bothers to do anything about them.

This is just a show that will last a few days and then all will be "back to normal."

As for traffic safety, this requires a total upheaval of driving habits and will take years to implement and is also virtually impossible.

The "grand palace is closed but I take you to special jewelry sale scam" has been going on for decades. There have been pictures and videos posted all over the web along with thousands of complaints filed with the TAT....and yet it goes on day after day, year after year. IF IF IF anyone truly wanted to stop this scam it would take about an hour to idenfify and arrest the con men who run this over and over and over in broad daylight....I have never understood how LYING about the grand palace to scam tourists is not considered an INSULT to the Grand Palace and all it stands for.

Never ceases to amaze me how many tourists NEVER got to see the grand palace because they were told it was closed and got hauled off to some stupid jewelry store scam instead.

Google grand palace scam and you'll get an eye/ear full of what goes on there everyday.

• Like 2