Don Mueang grows 35% in a year; 'old' airport turns into Bangkok's new low-cost hub

webfact

Don Mueang Airport grows 35% in a year; 'old' airport turns into Bangkok's new low-cost hub

CHT-1.png

BANGKOK: -- Considered to be one of the world’s oldest international airports, Bangkok Don Mueang was officially opened as a Royal Thai Air Force facility in March 1914; the first commercial service was inaugurated here by KLM as early as 1924.

Following the opening of Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport, Don Mueang closed down for business and was only reopened in 2012 after years of renovation.

Together with the upgrade of facilities came another change – in just over a year, the airport has become Bangkok’s new low-cost hub with Nok Air and The AirAsia Group taking up most of its capacity in November 2013.

Weekly seats up 35%

Suvarnabhumi Airport, which was designed to handle 45 million passengers per year, processed more than 48 million in 2011 and according to forecasts at the time, it was to surpass the 50 million threshold in 2012 (it actually handled 53 million). [read more...]

Full story: http://www.anna.aero/2013/11/22/bangkok-don-mueang-grows-35pc-in-a-year/

-- anna.aero 2013-11-23

Maybe they could re open the parking at terminal 2 of Don muang , just to avoid one hour driving to look for car space.ridiculous to remain with this obsolete parking in terminal 1 ...

Not to mention the spaces blocked with cones which are then "opened" for 20 baht.

• Like 2

Maybe they could re open the parking at terminal 2 of Don muang , just to avoid one hour driving to look for car space.ridiculous to remain with this obsolete parking in terminal 1 ...

Not to mention the spaces blocked with cones which are then "opened" for 20 baht.

Agree....total bedlam trying to get a parking spot.....double parking, idiots with whistles pointing in multi directions....very dark, cars going everywhere....one lanes going the wrong way....certainly a hub!...

A hub of absolute confusion in there!

• Like 1

What is now with the offer that Air Asia get a 90% discount in compare to the other airlines that are not related to the Shinawatra clan?

It was once in the news. Than it was in the news that the other airlines are angry.

Than silence...

What happened?

What is now with the offer that Air Asia get a 90% discount in compare to the other airlines that are not related to the Shinawatra clan?

It was once in the news. Than it was in the news that the other airlines are angry.

Than silence...

What happened?

A little voice from afar said "back-off, or else.", "we have ways of ensuring silence."1zgarz5.gif

This airport location is horrible. There is no decent public transportation to Don Mueang. Every time I have to pay 400Baht for taxi one way, two ways 800Baht. Since before I could just pay 40Baht + 30Baht to take a taxi and then the Airport link to Suwannabhumi.

Now the airlines still charge the same price, and we the mules have to pay 10 times more for transportation. What's the point? just to make Airasia more rich by paying less to park it's airplanes.

They only care about Airlines reducing costs, but forgot about the population. Shame.

Edited by brfsa2
  • Like 1

A few weeks ago - when having to pick up the family ,flying in from Chiang Mai , I had to park in Terminal 2 car park where I finally found a place on almost the top floor. Got in the elevator and as I had to go to arrivals I pressed button for the floor indicated. But when the door opened I was welcomed by construction.Got in again and then on another floor a Thai got in who said I had to get out on ground floor. Had to walk past the construction going on at the "domestic" terminal to get to the arrival hall.

Then of course we had to walk all the way back with the luggage (thank God there was only blazing sun and no rain!).

And indeed no public transport -certainly not to and from Pattaya.

Off topic as per usual but in the historical context check out Sharjah.

Have spent many entertaining hours in the ex-ATC tower listening to voice- activated recordings.

The tapes were left there when it was made available as a private rental home.

Brilliant place for star gazing.

Edited by Bpuumike

Just pay the 20 baht and save yourself time.

This airport location is horrible. There is no decent public transportation to Don Mueang. Every time I have to pay 400Baht for taxi one way, two ways 800Baht. Since before I could just pay 40Baht + 30Baht to take a taxi and then the Airport link to Suwannabhumi.

Now the airlines still charge the same price, and we the mules have to pay 10 times more for transportation. What's the point? just to make Airasia more rich by paying less to park it's airplanes.

They only care about Airlines reducing costs, but forgot about the population. Shame.

??????????

The train station is right opposite the airport and there are several bus routes pass by plus vans from Morchit skytrain station.

A few weeks ago - when having to pick up the family ,flying in from Chiang Mai , I had to park in Terminal 2 car park where I finally found a place on almost the top floor. Got in the elevator and as I had to go to arrivals I pressed button for the floor indicated. But when the door opened I was welcomed by construction.Got in again and then on another floor a Thai got in who said I had to get out on ground floor. Had to walk past the construction going on at the "domestic" terminal to get to the arrival hall.

Then of course we had to walk all the way back with the luggage (thank God there was only blazing sun and no rain!).

And indeed no public transport -certainly not to and from Pattaya.

Take the bus from Pattaya to SB and the shuttle from there to DM.

If your travelling between Don Mueang and Suwannbhumi, use the shuttle bus, it runs every 30 mins, it air conditioned, you can't get scammed and it's free!

My friends and I have started to use Nok air from Phrae, generally pretty good service and DM has always been my favourite airport in Bkk, 19 baht on the train into Hoa Lum Pung, taxi's at the door, vans everywhere and half price into town...a bit of a dogs dinner at the counters but usually a good experience!

It's a pity the airlines are using "Asia" size seats on the aircraft! sad.png

We spend 4-6 weeks in CM & CR every Dec-Jan.

Fly into BKK from OZ then BKK Air to Chiang Mai.

Alittle more expensive but well worth it compared to the dogs breakfast that Thai domestic flights have become.

If we want to use Air Asia there is the option of OZ to KL then direct to CM.