Thai students in UK spurn invite to have lunch with Phongthep

Lite Beer

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They missed an opportunity to tell him all those things (and more) to his face. Sometimes the educated can be stupid, childish and shortsighted.

Nope, I personally think they did the right thing.

I think accepting his invitation to heckle him is what is actually the stupid and childish option.

They are at Oxford, the bastion of gentlemanly conduct.

Hence they chose not to protest for respect towards the Thai Society of Oxford.

It's just not how one behaves at Oxford.

'heckle' is your word. I'm sure Oxford students know how to have an intelligent exchange of view points, without whistles, etc.

They could even use video instead of 'putting it in writing'...

They missed an opportunity to tell him all those things (and more) to his face. Sometimes the educated can be stupid, childish and shortsighted.

You obviously don't get it. This is exactly what they shouldn't do, ignoring this Government goon is far better. Good for them, they have acted in a manner that one would expect from educated students. More face loss for Phongthep.

You're right. I don't get it. You want educated students to ignore the problem - and the uneducated, in the streets, not ignoring the problem?

• Like 1

By my estimation the students hjave already accomplished more than many, by their subtle approach protest. Their written refusal to meet the DPM made the newspaper here, and its noted on TV.

Maybe the students have heard that "the pen is mighter than the sword", their blast at the current government has in all likelyhood, already been heard/read than the number who would have attended the lunch.

TheThai reception committees have not been real favorable to the Shin family when travelling to countries with a funct8ioning government in the last few months.

• Like 1

'They missed an opportunity to tell him all those things (and more) to his face. Sometimes the educated can be stupid, childish and shortsighted'

No - what they did was to put their own views forward and stick by them because they felt them strongly. Whether readers of this forum agree with them or not, they took advantage of the invaluable democratic asset of freedom of speech, still relatively common in the UK.

Perhaps, one day , the entire Thai population will be able and willing to do the same. Changes bringing in a truly democratic state such as most of us have enjoyed (or otherwise!) in the past, might just be the result.

• Like 2

I think accepting his invitation to heckle him is what is actually the stupid and childish option.

'heckle' is your word. I'm sure Oxford students know how to have an intelligent exchange of view points, without whistles, etc.

They could even use video instead of 'putting it in writing'...

You think ptp would let that happen?

• Like 1

Oxford the bastion of gentlemanly conduct? Not sure I'd ever go that far! wink.png

But kudos to the Thais at 'the other place' for showing some principle here. thumbsup.gif