Thai students in UK spurn invite to have lunch with Phongthep

Lite Beer

A bought and paid for 'barometer' … (both sides)

You really think that the opposition want 1 million at 500 baht a day?

That's half a billion a day.

Apart from which, in a month of protests. there has been not a single case of payment to the protesters brought to light.

Where in contrast, there is plenty (including video on youtube) of the reds being handed out their money.

Again, true public opinion versus 'rent a mob'.

I'm done with this argument now, you clearly are showing your colour, and people like you never let go no matter how lame you make yourself look to the majority of others, so I will save your blushes and agree to disagree.

Wow! What happened when you were told about Santa Claus?

• Like 1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"We don't agree with you so we won't meet and talk to you" is the right way? Very democratic. Did you go speak with a Red shirt? Do you speak from experience or based only on your prejudices?

If you could take one of the Red protesters at random, ask them to explain how a democracy works and get an answer which even only gets part way there, I would be tempted to agree about not being brainwashed.

Heck, if you could take one of their leaders and get an answer that doesn't come from The Bumper Book of Red Democracy, I'd be flabbergasted.

These Thai students at Oxford did the right thing, and they did it the right way.

//edit/ removed a now deleted quote myself.

I wonder how many Thai students there are at Oxford University and how many went to Thai schools first.

There are quite a lot of Thai students at Oxford.  I met one a couple of years ago, studying accounting, and he said there quite some hundreds (although he didn't quote a figure).

When we were walking around there, I could hear Thai being spoken quite a lot.

Not sure how reliable your student friend was given that there is no way to study accounting at Oxford University, no course being on offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Good on them.

Here, here! Good also to see that there are some young, politically aware Thai students willing to protest. Given they are at Oxford Uni. a bastion of privilege, they are obviously from very privileged backgrounds. I wonder what party they support in Thailand?

• Like 2

I wonder how many Thai students there are at Oxford University and how many went to Thai schools first.

There are quite a lot of Thai students at Oxford. I met one a couple of years ago, studying accounting, and he said there quite some hundreds (although he didn't quote a figure).

Not sure how reliable your student friend was given that there is no way to study accounting at Oxford University, no course being on offer.

Probably means Oxford Brookes, which I would guess has accounting.

They missed an opportunity to tell him all those things (and more) to his face. Sometimes the educated can be stupid, childish and shortsighted.

This was a private dinner invite, just a photo opportunity for basically a gate crashes.

Good on them no doubt they have more respect for an old boy of the Uni.

The middle class is utterly sick of the Shinawats, that much is exceedingly clear.

Agreed and that has been the case for some time but important to remember that this won't translate necessarily to support at elections for the Democrats.I know for a fact there are many professional middle class Thais who are fed up with Thaksin (though initially attracted by his "modernity") but are also heartily sick of the old unelected elites, and the jurassic mindset of these dinosaurs.

The remedy is in the hands of the middle class.Find leadership more competent than the hopeless Abhisit and less loathesome than Suthep, take the rest of Thailand seriously and victory is absolutely possible.

Suthep's articulation of objectives today doesn't however suggest success is just round the corner.

• Like 1

The remedy is in the hands of the middle class.Find leadership more competent than the hopeless Abhisit and less loathesome than Suthep, take the rest of Thailand seriously and victory is absolutely possible.

Not sure about that.

Loathsomeness and hopelessness, have been proven respectively by both Thaksin and Yingluck, to not necessarily impede electoral success, wouldn't you say?

There are quite a lot of Thai students at Oxford. I met one a couple of years ago, studying accounting, and he said there quite some hundreds (although he didn't quote a figure).

Perhaps he meant the LSE...!

Seems like the students have learnt something that was probably not on the agenda/curriculum, how a society should behave and what United means in United Kingdom.

You seem to have forgotten about next years "Scottish" referendum... two party politics, us and them... NI...

AFAICT -- No students signed the letter, so it does not represent anything other than the writer's own views.

You can vouch for that statement, can you?

from the OP

Quote...... letter to Phongthep on Sunday which was signed by Duangnapa Kovanich and Thaya Uthayaphas on behalf of the Thai students who opposed the Amnesty Bill......

One wonders who these 2 worthies are.....

They missed an opportunity to tell him all those things (and more) to his face. Sometimes the educated can be stupid, childish and shortsighted.

You obviously don't get it. This is exactly what they shouldn't do, ignoring this Government goon is far better. Good for them, they have acted in a manner that one would expect from educated students. More face loss for Phongthep.

You're right. I don't get it. You want educated students to ignore the problem - and the uneducated, in the streets, not ignoring the problem?

You are over simplyfing this. They were invited to a dinner, they refused it. I think that is exactly what they should do. There are other avenues of protest as well, but in this instance turning down the invitation, and making the point I. Writing is more than ample. I also don't think you can say that street protests are just the realm of the uneducated. I've got a number of friends who have been out at the protests in Bangkok, they are certainly educated professionals. This is a slap in the face for Pongthep, who was probably hoping for a nice trip to the UK, and a friendly reception.

Country in crisis, surely all deputy PMs, ministers etc., should be here in Bangkok right now.

Where's yingluck?

Where's plodprasop?

Where's chalerm?

Where's chaturon?

etc...

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Absolutely correct! Oxford Brookes offers a wide range of graduate and post graduate courses in Accounting and Finance. Jayboy epic......fail !

AFAICT -- No students signed the letter, so it does not represent anything other than the writer's own views.

from the OP

Quote...... letter to Phongthep on Sunday which was signed by Duangnapa Kovanich and Thaya Uthayaphas on behalf of the Thai students who opposed the Amnesty Bill......

You said "no students signed the letter".

Seems that the two who signed it, Duangnapa Kovanich and Thaya Uthayaphas, are indeed students.

from the OP

It's irrelevant who they are, the proof will be in how many students turn up for the dinner and at the moment i would suggest Pongthep books a table for four ;). The visit will be like Thaksins trip to the states, full of empty meeting venues. The funny thing is that for such alegedly intelligent people, these PTP politicians dont seem to understand just how hated they are, or maybe whilst the blank cheques are still rolling in they just dont care.

Absolutely correct! Oxford Brookes offers a wide range of graduate and post graduate courses in Accounting and Finance. Jayboy epic......fail !

Don't get too excited.Oxford Brookes is a separate institution altogether and has nothing repeat nothing to do with Oxford University.What was that about "epic fail"?