Thai students in UK spurn invite to have lunch with Phongthep

Lite Beer

Not sure how reliable your student friend was given that there is no way to study accounting at Oxford University, no course being on offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Probably means Oxford Brookes, which I would guess has accounting.

Absolutely correct! Oxford Brookes offers a wide range of graduate and post graduate courses in Accounting and Finance. Jayboy epic......fail !

Don't get too excited.Oxford Brookes is a separate institution altogether and has nothing repeat nothing to do with Oxford University.What was that about "epic fail"?

Mr Pedant, Oxford Brookes is in Oxford the 'student friend' was in Oxford, the fail applies in yet again instead of taking a path that displays even the slightest integrity and say fair enough you just wriggle and wiggle looking for any chance to avoid responsibilty for your own comments. Infact now I see why you are such an ardent red supporter, you display similar qualities. Say what you want and from then on deny all reason that it could possibly ever be wrong, even when it is. Oxford Brookes is counted as one of Oxfords Universities, and is a University in Oxford.

• Like 2

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They missed an opportunity to tell him all those things (and more) to his face. Sometimes the educated can be stupid, childish and shortsighted.

They have done the sensible thing. wai2.gif

He will know why they do not show up. He is not that dumb. It will cause him to loose face some thing that will really hit home to him. Talk is cheap the educated are aware of that hence they can reason out when it is best to use it and when it is best to ignore the situation.

Trust me he will get the message loud and clear.wai.gif

Mr Pedant, Oxford Brookes is in Oxford the 'student friend' was in Oxford, the fail applies in yet again instead of taking a path that displays even the slightest integrity and say fair enough you just wriggle and wiggle looking for any chance to avoid responsibilty for your own comments. Infact now I see why you are such an ardent red supporter, you display similar qualities. Say what you want and from then on deny all reason that it could possibly ever be wrong, even when it is. Oxford Brookes is counted as one of Oxfords Universities, and is a University in Oxford.

The letter from the students was headed University of Oxford so clearly that is the context.

Oxford Brooke's is a former polytechnic just outside Oxford.

• Like 1

You obviously don't get it. This is exactly what they shouldn't do, ignoring this Government goon is far better. Good for them, they have acted in a manner that one would expect from educated students. More face loss for Phongthep.

You're right. I don't get it. You want educated students to ignore the problem - and the uneducated, in the streets, not ignoring the problem?

You are over simplyfing this. They were invited to a dinner, they refused it. I think that is exactly what they should do. There are other avenues of protest as well, but in this instance turning down the invitation, and making the point I. Writing is more than ample. I also don't think you can say that street protests are just the realm of the uneducated. I've got a number of friends who have been out at the protests in Bangkok, they are certainly educated professionals. This is a slap in the face for Pongthep, who was probably hoping for a nice trip to the UK, and a friendly reception.

Country in crisis, surely all deputy PMs, ministers etc., should be here in Bangkok right now.

Where's yingluck?

Where's plodprasop?

Where's chalerm?

Where's chaturon?

etc...

Those people remind me of a queen who said let them eat cake.

She was so worried about the situation that she lost her head.wai2.gif

Don't get too excited.Oxford Brookes is a separate institution altogether and has nothing repeat nothing to do with Oxford University.What was that about "epic fail"?

OK chaps, to be absolutely fair and impartial as I always am on TV wink.png the poster did originally say his friend was studying AT Oxford not IN Oxford. There is a world of difference between the two, a bit like saying I used to play football for Newcastle or I used to play football in Newcastle.

So Jayboy just edges Jim on a TKO.

Apologies for screwed up edit.

Edited by bigbamboo

Having had perused the thread, it's no wonder that the "good guys" are losing in the PR war while the bad guys are winning.

The "good guys" want to play music to the buffalloes but the bad guys feed them grass!

Who wins?

Would this news travel far? How about the op ed from the writer of The Nation to the Economist, NY Times, etc? I don't think that op ed has even appeared in TV! That is a finely written article people should really read!

Having had perused the thread, it's no wonder that the "good guys" are losing in the PR war while the bad guys are winning.

The "good guys" want to play music to the buffalloes but the bad guys feed them grass!

Who wins?

Would this news travel far? How about the op ed from the writer of The Nation to the Economist, NY Times, etc? I don't think that op ed has even appeared in TV! That is a finely written article people should really read!

link?

Who wins?

link?

link to what and which?

Edited by muchogra

They missed an opportunity to tell him all those things (and more) to his face. Sometimes the educated can be stupid, childish and shortsighted.

Are you s*****g me ? those dumb redshirt thugs actually believe that there is only one honest person who ever ran Thailand ! The only people who are stupid, childish, and shortsighted are the fools who chose the worst possible champion to fly their flag !

Are you s*****g me ? those dumb redshirt thugs actually believe that there is only one honest person who ever ran Thailand ! The only people who are stupid, childish, and shortsighted are the fools who chose the worst possible champion to fly their flag !

I think you might have misinterpreted him. He actually wanted more proactive action from the educated instead of just playing musics which don't travel far!

The letter from the students was headed University of Oxford so clearly that is the context.

Oxford Brooke's is a former polytechnic just outside Oxford.

To be quite honest, I would place John Moores University in Liverpool (formally Liverpool Poly) above a Uni in Thailand, or Kentucky for that matter.

And the qualifications earned there will probably count for more to an employer (one outside of Thailand of course)

Who wins?

link?

link to what and which?

The finely written aricle.

Who wins?

link?

link to what and which?

The finely written aricle.

It's in The Nation, by a lady, and entitled" Message to the Economist..."

I think it's still there!

• Like 1

I wonder how many Thai students there are at Oxford University and how many went to Thai schools first.

There are quite a lot of Thai students at Oxford. I met one a couple of years ago, studying accounting, and he said there quite some hundreds (although he didn't quote a figure).

When we were walking around there, I could hear Thai being spoken quite a lot.

Not sure how reliable your student friend was given that there is no way to study accounting at Oxford University, no course being on offer.

Perhaps he meant the LSE...!

Oxford brooks. Ah yes the Jeffrey archer policy on the CV. It's all Oxford after all.

too much noise for nothing

the children of Abhisit, Suthep, Sondhi,... actually signed a letter.

they should be deported from Englandwhistling.gif

Bender may be some facts like the names of the offspring's at Oxford...

I am sure if Abhisit was concerned he could easily arrange for the the Oxford Students Union to give Phongthep a welcome to Oxford that he would like to forget.

Let me get this straight.

These two students aren't actually students from oxford University but accountancy or book-keeping students from a former polytechnic Oxford Brookes in the town of Oxford and they speak for whom?

Other students of...?

Like they are at a crammer not perhaps the foremost university in the world.

Not very clever are they? They're at the crammer.

How despicable they are these thai elites. Enemies of democracy nestled within one of the foremost democracies in the world. well funded I bet, trying to con and scam.

Probably still IQ of 87. It's the average innit?

Let me get this straight.

These two students aren't actually students from oxford University but accountancy or book-keeping students from a former polytechnic Oxford Brookes in the town of Oxford and they speak for whom?

Other students of...?

Like they are at a crammer not perhaps the foremost university in the world.

Not very clever are they? They're at the crammer.

How despicable they are these thai elites. Enemies of democracy nestled within one of the foremost democracies in the world. well funded I bet, trying to con and scam.

Probably still IQ of 87. It's the average innit?

LMAO, nooooo these two students are nothing to do with Oxford Brookes, but the friend of a TV poster was. These two students are from the one of the Oxford University colleges that one would associate with 'Oxford University'. Manchester used to be a polytechnic and maybe Oxford would have been one too if the word had been invented 500 years ago.

I am sure if Abhisit was concerned he could easily arrange for the the Oxford Students Union to give Phongthep a welcome to Oxford that he would like to forget.

Well i read somewhere, that foreign student have to pay double to afford to study in UK university.

At Oxford, they have to be over rich to afford the tuition fee. You start to get my point of view...

Certainly all these kids' s parent are either son/daughter of crooked politician army general/bitch, thief...

What i am talking aboutblink.png , i dont do politiclaugh.png

By the way Basil, for an guy who live in pattaya i dont understant your interest for Oxford?

You want to go back to learn? well its never to late... whistling.gif to get a good education

Edited by Bender

What is the connection between your first sentence, which has some merit, and the second one, which appears to be just abuse?

POLITICS
Thai students in UK snub Phongthep

Chanon Wongsatayanont
The Nation

OXFORD: -- A GROUP of Thai students at Oxford University in England has turned down an invitation to have lunch with Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana, because of his support for the Amnesty Bill that "violated and contravened the constitution".

The students sent a letter to Phongthep, signed by Duangnapa Kovanich and Thaya Uthayaphas. They had been invited by the Office of Educational Affairs (UK) to have lunch with Phongthep on Saturday.

Their letter said: "Dear Mr Phongthep Thepkanjana, Deputy Prime Minister, Thai students at the University of Oxford who oppose the Amnesty Bill do not welcome your visit to Oxford. We consider the government's conduct during the deliberations of the bill as well as its specific contents … violate and contravene both the 2007 Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand and the constitutional monarchy form of our democracy."

The government, including Phong-thep and Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, had failed to show remorse for any injustice, it said. "Therefore, we… do not wish to have any involvement with your coming visit to Oxford - an involvement which could be interpreted as lending support for the government and the bill," said the letter.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-25

they should be deported from EnglandPosted Image

I am sure if Abhisit was concerned he could easily arrange for the the Oxford Students Union to give Phongthep a welcome to Oxford that he would like to forget.

I doubt it.The Oxford Students Union is a private society to which only a small minority of students belong.Secondly Abhisit has zero influence over students,the vast majority will have never heard of him.Thirdly and most importantly student opinion would not be on the side of ultra royalists, coup lovers and reactionaries and would be on the side of the red shirts.This was the university that refused to offer Mrs Thatcher an honorary degree.

they should be deported from Englandwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

Well i read somewhere, that foreign student have to pay double to afford to study in UK university.

At Oxford, they have to be over rich to afford the tuition fee. You start to get my point of view...

Certainly all these kids' s parent are either son/daughter of crooked politician army general/bitch, thief...

What i am talking aboutxblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png alt=blink.png width=20 height=20> , i dont do politicxlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.SDkxrRteka.png alt=laugh.png width=20 height=20>

By the way Basil, for an guy who live in pattaya i dont understant your interest for Oxford?

You want to go back to learn? well its never to late... whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18> to get a good education

"foreign student have to pay double"

I'm afraid you're out-of-date, UK domestic-students recently saw a massive hike in their fees, so the premium paid by overseas-students is now only about 30%-40%. Many UK students are therefore being priced-out of advanced-education. We parents of teenage-kids watch such things closely !

And FWIW Oxford-Brookes (the former polytechnic) definitely does business-studies & accounting degrees, I've been looking at them recently, as a back-up option for one of my own kids. So not all Thai-national students there would be "son/daughter of crooked politician army general/bitch thief".

Nice to see that, just like in the 'good old days' of my own youth, university-students can be politically-aware, wai2.gif

I doubt it.The Oxford Students Union is a private society to which only a small minority of students belong.Secondly Abhisit has zero influence over students,the vast majority will have never heard of him.Thirdly and most importantly student opinion would not be on the side of ultra royalists, coup lovers and reactionaries and would be on the side of the red shirts.This was the university that refused to offer Mrs Thatcher an honorary degree.

and fourth:

the prestigious university in Europe/USA are full with foreign student, son of dictator/thief from Africa, South America, Asia, banana country.

The union student are well aware of it! They will never ever take the side of these mini Bokassa, Kim jong, or bourgeoisie wannabee.

Abhisit = yellow shirt = elite

For the rest of the world, the red shirt are NOT seen as the thugs, but mostly like poor farmers victims who try to free themselves from tyranny...from the elite.

Like it or not, but that the reality!

"foreign student have to pay double"

I'm afraid you're out-of-date, UK domestic-students recently saw a massive hike in their fees, so the premium paid by overseas-students is now only about 30%-40%. Many UK students are therefore being priced-out of advanced-education. We parents of teenage-kids watch such things closely !

_As i said i read it somewhere.

_So where?

_Well on thaivisa...laugh.png some thai apologist were shouting , how horrible, how racist was UK to double charge the poor little rich thai kids with the tuition fee.

So i am finally glad to hear that, the member "7by7" was once gain (on other apologist) as usual only talking rubbish! cheesy.gif

otherwise blablablacoffee1.gif

ps: didnt you get my sarcasm in my previous post, on this one also?

by the way, double charging tuition fee for foreign student is not discrimination but that another subject!

Edited by Bender

and fourth:

the prestigious university in Europe/USA are full with foreign student, son of dictator/thief from Africa, South America, Asia, banana country.

The union student are well aware of it! They will never ever take the side of these mini Bokassa, Kim jong, or bourgeoisie wannabee.

Abhisit = yellow shirt = elite

For the rest of the world, the red shirt are NOT seen as the thugs, but mostly like poor farmers victims who try to free themselves from tyranny...from the elite.

Like it or not, but that the reality!

There is one big fat fly named Thaksin in the ointment of your reality. Not that that would stop the radical students, who shun the students from that country, making "educated" decisions about a country about which they know very little.

Do you really think that not one honest Thai family could afford to send their children to Oxford?