what's all the fuss about hua hin

Crazy chef 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to think that what it has least of is what makes it a very pleasant town in which to retire ...ie the girlie bars. Happy to leave these to Pattaya and Phuket as these like 'fly paper' attracts the undisirables - we have enough to keep the few happy who cannot live without the sleeze but not enough to attract the masses and the crime that follows...long may it last !!

• Like 1

Personally I find HH refreshing after Pattaya but that's about it -not exactly a recommendation then ! Without doubt some of the most expensive real estate to rent or buy outside Bangkok, the sea is not worth swimming in unless ypu like jellies and pooh, the beaches are filthy and the restaurants totally overpriced. Market Village is all that is good about the place and that is hardly a reason for moving there. I am a bit prejudiced as I first came to Thailand 30 years ago arriving at Karon beach in Phuket where there were only beach huts - now the place is totally f.......d. I then went to Jomtien beach, there were two hotels Sugar Hut and Cocacabana, both beautiful, teak and wood cabins on the beach. You could'nt pay me a million dollars a year to live there now! My prediction is that one of these days tourism is going for a burton in Thailand and that'll be the end of it. The same greed happened in southern Spain and it's now a concrete ghetto full of Russian mafia and English pubs -same thing is happening here . Is that why people come to Thailand - God help us!!!

• Like 2

I like HH for a weekend getaway. But then I stay in a nice resort that I only leave for the nightmarket.

I have been considering going to live in the Philippines or Vietnam, or even Cambodia, and as soon as I make my mind up, I am off, never to return.

I have lived in Vietnam (15 years) and Cambodia (5 years) and I would love to find a job in Thailand. Grass, the other side, and all that.

Somebody mentioned Vientiane??? I like Laos but live there? No way. Everything moves at a snails place and I cannot deal with the communist bureaucracy.

I was told similar recommendations about Hua Hin, when I looked for the right place (for me) to settle in Thailand. After visiting the place – and as I do not play golf – I decided that Hua Hin was not for me; some of the same considerations that’s mentioned by OP.

• Like 1

There are large communities of several nations there.

So for the retired it is attractive, because they can have their coffee break with their own countrymen and enjoy life.

For the non retired it is one of the many options for beach holidays if you also want huge choice regarding food and entertainment.

I have always found it an OK place to stay for a few days until recently when I found that it had lost its charm was overbuilt and gridlocked. How about Cha Am as a place to retire to/bring up a family?

for me it is the place where i wanna stay for the rest of my life
  • Like 1

I've been here 10 years, and let's face it, Thailand is boring after that much time unless you're here for the sex with a much younger girl. It's all hot wet tropical jungle and beaches and once you've seen one of each of those, you've pretty much seen them all. I've been married (to a Thai) for 18 years and wish I never moved to Thailand but I retired, burned my bridges, and moved here lock, stock, and barrel dissolving all business or assets in the U.S. It's too late now to go back as I'm in my mid 60's and can't afford to live in the U.S. any longer, but if I have to live in Thailand, Hua Hin is no worse than, or better than, much of the rest of the country... Thailand is boring, period (after a few years). I wouldn't just lay it all on Hua Hin.

I think your comments are very valid - but as you've burnt your bridges as you say -you don't have any other choice.Personally I'm just a fraction older than you and I'm free to go where I like so I have multiple choices - also being European there are endless possibilities -all of Europe and several overseas departments and my English wife teaches English so we can go just about anywhere in the world. To be honest if I had to live in Hua Hin for the rest of my life I would die of boredom !

Visited Hua Hin a few years ago with friends and we thought it was quite a lovely place, and as I am not a beach person, it wasn't something that particularly appealed to me, however exploring the place was interesting and the restaurants were good. Didn't really look for the nightlife but was told that some existed?

The one thing that keeps coming through on the posts is that the place is "boring", however that surely is a mindset thing, because there is a lot to do in and around Hua Hin, not to mention taking some lovely long drives and exploring the countryside.

As one poster has said, "you can get bored anywhere", and that is true, imagine being back in the UK, where you finished work, had your meal and popped down to the local pub for a few pints, or stayed in watching the television every night........... and that was it. As we have gotten older the "boredom factor" can get bigger, and at my age, in my home country I would be watching television most nights, wandering aimlessly around shopping malls during the daytime looking for something to do, because most of my friends would still be working (I am retired).

I didn't move to Hua Hin, but to Patong, which unfortunately has become the "Sh-t-hole" that most people have quite aptly described because of the farce that has become two-year roadworks, not to mention the influx of bogans and cheap tourists, and the crime and corruption.

Having said that, it is still better than wandering aimlessly around in my home country, because here at least there is excitement and nightlife if I want it; some good restaurants; good friends and the chance to fly out of Phuket to a number of other Asian destinations very cheaply indeed to do some exploring.

Just remember, anywhere can be boring unless you decide to do something about it, as boredom is more often than not a state of mind.

Very well said

• Like 1

Wanderlust, I agree with you about Hua Hin. The last line I wrote was:

Thailand is boring, period (after a few years). I wouldn't just lay it all on Hua Hin.

What I was saying was, if you have to live in Thailand, it may as well be Hua Hin as most other places in S.E. Asia are even worse.

My problem (after ten years of living here also) is that I am bored with Thailand ,compared to anywhere outside S.E. Asia, like the U.S., Europe, Australia/New Zealand, or even Canada. Just about all the attractions you mentioned in Hua Hin are second or third rate or plastic imitations of real attractions elsewhere or in another era. Even the national parks (I've been to around 20 of them all over Thailand are boring as once you've seen one tropical park, you've pretty much seem them all. The problem is the location and size of the country itself. There is not enough variety of climate, terrain, or nature to be interesting beyond a few years imho. I do not participate at all in the nightlife and I believe that mostly those who do are the ones happy living in Thailand. I can tell you that if I could afford to go back to my home country I would go and would be happy to leave this "tropical paradise", and my Thai wife feels the same way...

Edited by hhfarang

Just remember, anywhere can be boring unless you decide to do something about it, as boredom is more often than not a state of mind.

very goodclap2.gif : boredom is in your head; I will never be tired of Thailand ; if you are interested in nothing, your head is empty , if you are curious ( for me, I love thai language, thai culture and other things .. ), you are never bored ; solution is inside , not outside your mind

as for me, I think Hua hin is not a bad place to live

• Like 2

Over the last few years, most of my better friends that I have met here have come to the same conclusion and have moved away to another country (Singapore) or back to their home country. This includes 3 Americans, 2 people from the UK, 2 Scandinavians, and 2 Canadians, so it's not just me who's bored after living here many years.

Misery loves company whistling.gif

• Like 1

Sometimes people leave their home country expecting to find a more interesting and stimulating life. Then they discover they are still the same person and their dissatisfaction is within themselves.

Pretty well sums it up. The old saying, "No matter where you go, you take yourself with you."

Hua Hin is also not too far from Bangkok. This is also a little bit the problem at the weekends, when the Bangkok middle and upper class arrives for vacation. But this - together with the presence of the Royal Couple - has also a good influence on the city.

Yes, the presence of the Royal Couple has kept the beer bars at bay.. whistling.gif

Sometimes people leave their home country expecting to find a more interesting and stimulating life. Then they discover they are still the same person and their dissatisfaction is within themselves.

I think your missing the point a little. At least with regards to some peoples replies here. I didnt leave my home country to escape anything or anyone. I was simply looking to travel, at aged 30, before too late.

I liked it here, and settled. I didnt 'plan' anything and I never put a shelf life on how long I figured I would stay here. I just went with the flow.

More to the point, I didnt wake up after 6 months of 'escapism' and realize with shock and horror that I was the same guy. I had a fantastic time in Thailand for a good 5 or 6 years and i must point out, before anyone jumps all over this, that the first 5 or 6 years was not getting steaming drunk and banging girls every night. It was varied. I had a couple of years on a tropical island partying like crazy, and loved it. I grew out of that, and had a couple of years in a small Thai town (the only ferang there) close to Kanchanaburi and loved every aspect of the 'real Thailand', completley slowed down and started to appreciate Thai culture more. Loved it. Then I had a couple of years in Kanchanaburi, and loved that also.

I think it was my 6th or 7th year that I started to get bored and it was around that time that I moved to Hua Hin. I sort of liked it, but never loved it here. Im not sure why Im still here but I cant think of anywhere else to go. I dont really hate it of course (who in there right mind would ever HATE living in a small town, on a beach, in a tropical country?) but I am bored. I have no idea why i started to feel like this, but I there you have it.

I can only say that it has bugger all to do with me 'being the same me' or anything quite as deep as that. Im just bored of the place.

HH ferang hits the nail on the head I think. Its normal now. After a while, all of those things that you first appreciate like crazy just become the norm so after that, then what?

Dare i say that those people accusing 'we bored ones' of tryign to escape ourselves are missing the point entirley - maybe you guys who have lived here a long time and never, ever, feel even reotley bored are easily ammused?