Don't risk tourists' lives, warns Royal Thai Navy

webfact

Don't risk tourists' lives, warns Royal Thai Navy
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_2013112515933707_zaZhMDwNTdTI
The HTMS Pattani took on board 87 tourists who were stranded overnight at the Similan Islands, north of Phuket. Photo: Royal Thai Navy

PHUKET: -- The Royal Thai Navy has warned all tour operators to obey orders to stay in port during dangerous weather conditions following navy ships being dispatched to rescue tourists stranded at Koh Racha and the Similan Islands over the weekend.

“If the ports are ordered to close due to the weather, please do not launch your vessels. We understand it is your business, but please keep in mind that you are risking people lives at sea,” cautioned Capt Thammawat Malaisukkarin, Director of Naval Civil Affairs at the Third Area Command.

The Third Area Command, based on Phuket’s Cape Panwa, deployed two patrol boats to recover tourists at the popular day-trip sites after strong waves made it impossible for tour vessels to retrieve their passengers from shore.

The HTMS Sriracha was dispatched to recover 157 tourists from Koh Racha Yai, about 25km south of Phuket, on Saturday.

“The Sriracha safely returned to Phuket with 157 tourists from China, Korea, Thailand, Germany and the UK at 8pm on Saturday,” Capt Thammawat told the Phuket Gazette.

HTMS Pattani, which is stationed at the Navy base in Tab Lamu, Phang Nga, was sent to rescue 87 tourists from the Similans yesterday.

“The tourists had been stranded there since Saturday night,” Capt Thammawat said.

“They were all brought safely back to the Tab Lamu Navy base at about 11am yesterday,” he confirmed.

Anyone who is need of help at sea can call the Royal Thai Navy at 076-391590 and 076-391598.

“The phone lines are manned 24 hours a day,” Capt Thammawat said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Don-t-risk-tourists-lives-warns-Royal-Thai-Navy-22869.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-25

Anyone who is need of help at sea can call the Royal Thai Navy at 076-391590 and 076-391598.

This potentially life saving information should be posted at airports, ports and elsewhere. This is not the first time tourist/dive boats decided to leave their clients behind.

I've never heard of a dive boat in Thailand leaving divers behind. Who was that and where did it happen?

This potentially life saving information should be posted at airports, ports and elsewhere. This is not the first time tourist/dive boats decided to leave their clients behind.

I've never heard of a dive boat in Thailand leaving divers behind. Who was that and where did it happen?

Was reported here last week - made the Daily mail online - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2508225/Arizona-couple-abandoned-boat-underwater-scuba-diving-Thailand.html

Edit - found here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/682032-boat-captain-abandons-novice-us-divers-in-middle-of-the-ocean-in-thailand/

Edited by topt
  • Like 1

Good to know the Thai Royal Navy is professional and willing to help te any-one who is in need in open water.

BUT ...

Sad to know these money hungry and shameless South-Thai tour operators don't care about turist's lives. They think this: If we don't take them NOW than they leave TH how we can earn on their skin.

I know them exactly, true grabbing dirty lot, this is pretty sure.

• Like 1

This means you have to check more news.

If you didn't hear this doesn't mean it didn't happen.

• Like 1

No, it just means that I've got a life and don't obsess over every news story that comes along.

Interesting story. Obviously more to it than meets the eye. When divers are in the water a boat will be at anchor with the engine shut down, so no chance of developing 'engine trouble'. Most likely someone made the mistake of paying the boat driver at the start of the day rather than the end.

I'm assuming that's a facetious comment or else you've slept through the last 10 days !

• Like 1

I'm assuming that's a facetious comment or else you've slept through the last 10 days !

You might equally well assume that I wasn't in Thailand for the last ten days.

I'll assume you are too darned lazy to find out for yourself or too stupid to use the search facility.

I'll assume you are too darned lazy to find out for yourself or too stupid to use the search facility.

'Lazy,stupid'? I would have assumed that after 5,134 posts you would have taken the time to read the forum rules. ThaiVisa rule no. 1 : "In using ThaiVisa I agree to 1) Respect fellow members". Rule 4 is also relevant.

Now that you've shared 5,134 of your thoughts with us you may want to refresh your memory of the rules.

Edited by Spalpeen
  • Like 2

I took a few fam members to Similans on one of those overnight trips. The speedboat out was a nightmare, it was full throttle the whole way, into the swell, and the seats in the bow were nothing short of hazardous. I wanted to move towards the stern, but this was impossible at full speed, I indicated to the coxwain I wanted to move to safer seats and asked him to slow down. The <unt just ignored me, I was sure I was going to have my back dislocated. He didn't give a sh1t. I crawled to the stern on my hands and knees for fear of a serious injury. Bunch of cowboys, they care not one iota for safety of pax.

And there is no enforcement, no penalties, no deterrent, of any kind, it is a free for all, with zero regard for safety. Surprised there are not more fatalities here, though I doubt we are being told of most of them. The press censorship he is tremendous. We do not get the real news. Ineffective law enforcement, kangaroo courts, and no pressure at the national level leads to safety issues, that are not being addressed. What is the solution? Politicians who care. Will we ever see that? Your guess is as good as mine.

No, it just means that I've got a life and don't obsess over every news story that comes along.

Interesting story. Obviously more to it than meets the eye. When divers are in the water a boat will be at anchor with the engine shut down, so no chance of developing 'engine trouble'. Most likely someone made the mistake of paying the boat driver at the start of the day rather than the end.

Well it took you as long to type the statement as it would to ask Google, :D

I've sailed all my life all over the world,, you look out the window and it's a bright sunny slight breeze blowing kind of day, you look at the official weather report and it says a bad storm is heading our way, who would you believe, i've seen a calm sea that looks like a pond turn into a raging washing machine, i have great respect for the sea and wouldn't go out if there's a warning of bad weather,,, the government should fine the boats that go out in bad weather, money or lives, i know who i would put first.

"Money or lives??

This is Thailand where lives are expendable, injury or death to tourists is daily news and quickly brushed under the carpet almost as a fact of life.

The land of smiles where injury/death statistics are never highlighted for the world to see.

Quickly clean up the mess before the next batch of tourists fly in!!

The answer to your question is very easy MONEY!!

• Like 1

Well it took you as long to type the statement as it would to ask Google, :D

Another Google expert. Why on earth would I ask an American based search engine about recent events in Thailand when there's a perfectly good forum in the form of Thaivisa to ask people with local knowledge. There's more to the internet than Google.

My first trip to Koh Phi Phi, about 5 years before the Tsunami was horrendous. Some of the swells were 2 metres high, women and kids were screaming and even some guys were throwing up. In the middle of this madness, I scanned the ocean around me and was amazed to see at least half a dozen or more ferries struggling with the waves also.

Tour/boat operators want to operate and until the authorities penalise them for breaking rules, they will continue to 'take the p*ss'. Not unique to Thailand, more human nature I feel.

I've sailed all my life all over the world,, you look out the window and it's a bright sunny slight breeze blowing kind of day, you look at the official weather report and it says a bad storm is heading our way, who would you believe, i've seen a calm sea that looks like a pond turn into a raging washing machine, i have great respect for the sea and wouldn't go out if there's a warning of bad weather,,, the government should fine the boats that go out in bad weather, money or lives, i know who i would put first.

But in Thailand it's money first.

• Like 1

Unfortunately most of the time the official weather report is wrong, as are the warnings. Nobody trusts them

There are some good weather sites though with good information, and there was no need for anybody to be at sea in the conditions we experienced Saturday. We cancelled all our dives on Friday and Saturday, I know of others that did the same. And on Saturday all dives from Phuket were cancelled because of the weather conditions.

• Like 1

Well it took you as long to type the statement as it would to ask Google, biggrin.png

Another Google expert. Why on earth would I ask an American based search engine about recent events in Thailand when there's a perfectly good forum in the form of Thaivisa to ask people with local knowledge. There's more to the internet than Google.

So as you don't get second hand information and bother other people when you can find out the same answers yourself.

Make some effort!

You actually think TV members are in on the recent Bangkok events....... I am one and have seen nothing, and recommend others stay clear.

How Google actually works is it provides you with links to local News sources. duh!

And do you think TV is based in Thailand......?crazy.gif

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

I was one of the 87 people who were rescued from Similan Island, we came Friday to Similan on a 2 -day stay, but on Saturday around 10 o'clock in the morning there were people who came from the island , but the opposite will be many more new guests though had been said to us that our boat had tried to get to the island but had to give.

All internet connection was interrupted Saturday afternoon and we could not get in touch with some. There were tried on several different rescue attempt with speedboats will believe that about 200 came away Saturday afternoon, when a speedboat end first arrived at the port at about 21 Saturday night.

Out on the island , it was considered that we had to be evacuated Saturday evening of the Royal Thai Navy, but the rubber boat that would carry us out overthrown rundy 2 times and therefore it was stopped Saturday.

On Sunday morning around the clock 11 just start our evaluation out of the Royal Thai Navy in small rubber boats and for many of us it was without life jackets.

This experience has told us that the company that made ​​our trip was only after our money , and may not wondering if we got home safely.

We are now back in Denmark and thinking that this was our last trip to Thailand. Some people have become greedy money

Bo Jensen