Are there any visa ATMs that don't charge UK cards 150 baht?

scubascuba3

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are always charged if you use another banks ATM, but some cards reimburse or pay you back for ATM fees.

I have not paid any fees for years, my US bank credits all ATM fees worldwide. I had to use a different card recently just because I did not have my regular card with me and had to pay 180 baht! Never again!

I usually go to a Tescos bank with passport and debit card and withdraw the months cash requirements in one go..... No extra charges.... ( saved at least 300bht)... though maybe lose out on exchange rate..and any other hidden costs my bank in the uk apply./... the purple coloured bank are always so helpful.. :D

I use AEON to withdraw cash and it always intrigued me the rumours about the rates so one fine day I withdrew 5,000 Baht from two machines:

Statement from my UK Bank, second transaction is from AEON:

Posted Image

First direct charge min 1.75 gbp max 5.00 for ATM withdrawls abroad. Then the cc fee Unless you pay for the first directory service.have a look at it on their site. It served me well but now i spend more than a month per visit. So most of the insurances aren't applicable. Have a look it might save you a few bob.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

The best thing to do is :

rather than taking your money from ATM, go inside the bank and ask for withdrawal some cash.

They cannot refuse and its totally free of charge...........

I have pay the 150 baths for months until one day the ATM was not working, so go inside the bank and take out 10 000 baths, without a fee.

Lets try it.

Withdrawal from where ? got news for you, you cannot witthadrwal at the counter unless you have an account with that specific bank and, possibly, branch.

Pounds, Dollars it makes no difference. It is the same ATM service charge... 150bht no matter what the amount you are pulling..As far as I know there are even some banks that charge 180bht. Nature of the beast I am afraid.

Nature of the animal, you mean, that is so stupid to bend over rather than using an alternative - as long there is one.

Norwich and Peterborough debit card - no commission fees and can be opened over the phone

Metro has already been mentioned but location may be a problem for some

There a couple of others too

Personally I have a Thai Bank Account and send money over via Halifax online banking directly

rather than taking your money from ATM, go inside the bank and ask for withdrawal some cash.

I have pay the 150 baths for months until one day the ATM was not working, so go inside the bank and take out 10 000 baths, without a fee.

Lets try it.

Withdrawal from where ? got news for you, you cannot witthadrwal at the counter unless you have an account with that specific bank and, possibly, branch.

That's strange. I used my UK credit card to draw cash over the counter at a Bangkok Bank where I didn't have an account.

Lets try it.

That's strange. I used my UK credit card to draw cash over the counter at a Bangkok Bank where I didn't have an account.

Good, just remember that credit card cash transactions are charged around 3% over the normally lousy exhange rate.

Lets try it.

Good, just remember that credit card cash transactions are charged around 3% over the normally lousy exhange rate.

Mine aren't. I'm charged nothing for each transaction and get a very good exchange rate.

Lets try it.

And they do not hit you with the exchange rate instead?

Lets try it.

Mine aren't. I'm charged nothing for each transaction and get a very good exchange rate.

You don't have to pay a high rate of interest on the cash withdrawal from the day withdrawn? Have you funded the credit card account?

Lets try it.

You don't have to pay a high rate of interest on the cash withdrawal from the day withdrawn? Have you funded the credit card account?

The interest rate is 12.9% pa which works out to around 1% a month. They don't allow me to fund the account before I make cash withdrawals. I only get charged interest on cash withdrawals while they're on the account so I make a withdrawal, wait till it appears on the account and then transfer cash in to the amount of the debit. Last month 120,000bt of withdrawals cost me 86 pence (UK) in interest and the rate I got was better than any advertised rates available in Thailand.

Lets try it.

The interest rate is 12.9% pa which works out to around 1% a month. They don't allow me to fund the account before I make cash withdrawals. I only get charged interest on cash withdrawals while they're on the account so I make a withdrawal, wait till it appears on the account and then transfer cash in to the amount of the debit. Last month 120,000bt of withdrawals cost me 86 pence (UK) in interest and the rate I got was better than any advertised rates available in Thailand.

Smart. I'll do that next time. Cash is still king though,exchange rate is around 52.4 where as card is lower I would expect. Problem with cash is there is only so much you can carry in without paranoia kicking in :-)

I use AEON to withdraw cash and it always intrigued me the rumours about the rates so one fine day I withdrew 5,000 Baht from two machines:

Statement from my UK Bank, second transaction is from AEON:

atm-ratchada-5000-baht.jpg

The "cash machine fee" is obviously not a fee for a a Thai bank.

Both are 2% of the sum after currency conversion.

This is a fee deducted by your issuing UK bank.

I know that some german banks deduct 1.75%.

1.75 or 2 %: both a bloody ripoff.

150 Baht on 13. Aug 2013 would have been about 3.13 Pounds (1 Pound = 48 Baht).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1