Yingluck insists govt fighting corruption

webfact

What a complete BS artist she is. How many ministers have been arrested? What happened to the transport minister who was caught with 2,000,000,000 baht in his living room, stacked up on pallets? Nothing. How many policemen have been imprisoned. Ahbisit is right, she could not be doing less to fight corruption. But, he is not one to talk. If ever a politician enforced the status quo it was Ahbisit. Easy to talk now, but you did NOTHING as PM, so may be best To keep your mouth shut, little man. Virtually all politicians are useless to society.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Oh, ok, let's see what has happened to Supoth - the former permanent Secretary to the ministry of transport (not the minister)

1. He was appointed over the head of the more likely candidate during AV's government.

2. One of the thieves of money from his house claimed there was more, but the police found no further evidence than the 17 million they recovered.

3. The police forwarded the case to the NACC within 30 days as required. The NACC froze all his assets within 14 days.

4. The nacc then requested all his bank records from the banks and all his tax receipts. Then they interviewed supoth and asked him to explain the difference between the 2 amounts.

5. When he could not come up with a reasonable explanation they confiscated assets and forwarded a recommendation to the criminal court to prosecute.

All this was completed in 5 months. That's a remarkable speed for here - why the criminal case hasn't proceeded yet I don't know, but probably revolves around the higher standard of evidence required by the criminal court versus the nacc.

The nacc can confiscate if you can't prove. The criminal court requires harder evidence.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does Yingluck perceive the blatant preferential treatment of elite criminals such as the Red Bull Ferrari cop killer? Does she perceive that this was a buyout and stall or just a complete buyout with corrupted officials. How can she convince ordinary Thais that the law applies equally to everyone when such a flagrant and abusive criminal conspiracy and collusion occurs in Thailand and is regular news?

Pfff... never mind that guy, how about issuing a new passport to a criminal fugitive that just so happens to be her brother?.

That's the very definition of abuse of power and corruption.

Interesting you brought that up. Not good I agree, but actually the ministry was following the law.

Here's how it works.

1. The foreign ministry is required to issue a passport to any Thai citizen who requests it unless the court has notified them not to.

2. Thaksin requested a new passport.

3. The ministry found no block had been requested by the court - but - sent a formal letter to the criminal court and the Attorney General requesting instructions. (Because they knew it should have been done, but had no power to do it on their own)

4. After 30 days of no response, the ministry was obligated by the law to provide a new passport.

The rumors of it being delivered personally were made up in social networks. It travelled in the diplomatic bag as most countries do with passports.

So. ... point out to me who slipped up here? Clearly it was the criminal court who are responsible for sending the notice to the foreign ministry.

Seems a plausible theory - your own? What happened to the claims that it was issued while the office was closed due to flooding, or some such? and why has Surapong never denied visiting Thaksin at that time (AFAIK)? Why was this not supplied to the ombudsman the first time he asked?

It was all explained. However sometimes not all the newspapers bother - as you well know living here, they're pretty bloody selective in what they report.

If the democrats wish to bring it up again, that's fine, but it's just sound bites and wasting time.

I agree it shouldn't have been done, but actually everyone just followed the book of rules.

Edit - the court could have requested the passport be revoked at any time since. But never has?

Edited by airconsult

Do we really need to go through this again?

The MoFA is not required to issue a passport to a criminal fugitive. The MoFA offices were flooded, a larger part of the population was wading through waters and Thaksin got a shiny new passport delivered to him in Dubai. All within a few days end of October 2011. Begin of December the MoFA denied rumours, a week later it was acknowledged by a Deputy. The Ombudsman has asked for an explanation and been given answers like 'please give me more time' by both MoFA and the PM. Now it's almost TWO years later. MoFA and PM still too busy to answer questions from the Ombudsman.

So, book of rules? You mean the Pheu Thai book of 'Thaksin rules' ?

As for "the court could have requested the passport be revoked at any time since. But never has?" Which court are you referring to? The Ombudsman is not a court and a court would probably still be busy to get a date set for parties to hear charges. This government is too busy getting big brother back to listen to courts. It's only 'premeditated murderers' who promptly come when called.

Interesting you brought that up. Not good I agree, but actually the ministry was following the law.

Here's how it works.
1. The foreign ministry is required to issue a passport to any Thai citizen who requests it unless the court has notified them not to.

3. The ministry found no block had been requested by the court - but - sent a formal letter to the criminal court and the Attorney General requesting instructions. (Because they knew it should have been done, but had no power to do it on their own)

4. After 30 days of no response, the ministry was obligated by the law to provide a new passport.

The rumors of it being delivered personally were made up in social networks. It travelled in the diplomatic bag as most countries do with passports.

So. ... point out to me who slipped up here? Clearly it was the criminal court who are responsible for sending the notice to the foreign ministry.

Seems a plausible theory - your own? What happened to the claims that it was issued while the office was closed due to flooding, or some such? and why has Surapong never denied visiting Thaksin at that time (AFAIK)? Why was this not supplied to the ombudsman the first time he asked?

It was all explained. However sometimes not all the newspapers bother - as you well know living here, they're pretty bloody selective in what they report.

If the democrats wish to bring it up again, that's fine, but it's just sound bites and wasting time.

I agree it shouldn't have been done, but actually everyone just followed the book of rules.

Edit - the court could have requested the passport be revoked at any time since. But never has?

Edited by rubl

The MoFA is not required to issue a passport to a criminal fugitive. The MoFA offices were flooded, a larget part of the population was wading through waters and Thaksin got a shiny new passport delivered to him in Dubai. All within a few days end of October 2011. Begin of December the MoFA denied rumours, a week later it was ackonwledged by a Deputy. The Ombuds,an has asked for an explanation and been given answers like 'please give me more time' by both MoFA and the PM. Now it's almost TWO years later. MoFA and PM still too busy to answer questions from the Ombudsman.

As for "the court could have requested the passport be revoked at any time since. But never has?" Which court are you referring to? The Ombudsman is not a court and a court would probably still be busy to get a date set for parties to hear charges. This government is too busy getting big brother back to listen to courts. It's only 'premeditated murderers' who promptly come when called.

Here's how it works.

I'll put it much more simply rubl. You're wrong.

Go back and read the ministry regulations. The rule on convicted criminals only applies IF the court has notified the ministry. (To allow for minor crimes) the ministry went further than it's duty by requesting advice. No answer received.

Edit - you know what - I'll apologise for how blunt I was above. But here's the thing, it's a nasty loophole, yes, but it's there. If the court does not require it, the ministry doesn't have to ban.

Edited by airconsult

- First time I read about such a rule

- Which court would need to notify the MoFA not to issue a passport

- 'no answer', like in 'mislead in the mail', or similar to 'denied a passport issued'

- 'if not requested, MoFA doesn't have to' especially when a criminal fugitive relative asks you mean?

I fear you need to come with a few links before I can accept this story wai.gif

The MoFA is not required to issue a passport to a criminal fugitive. The MoFA offices were flooded, a larget part of the population was wading through waters and Thaksin got a shiny new passport delivered to him in Dubai. All within a few days end of October 2011. Begin of December the MoFA denied rumours, a week later it was ackonwledged by a Deputy. The Ombuds,an has asked for an explanation and been given answers like 'please give me more time' by both MoFA and the PM. Now it's almost TWO years later. MoFA and PM still too busy to answer questions from the Ombudsman.

I'll put it much more simply rubl. You're wrong.

Go back and read the ministry regulations. The rule on convicted criminals only applies IF the court has notified the ministry. (To allow for minor crimes) the ministry went further than it's duty by requesting advice. No answer received.

Edit - you know what - I'll apologise for how blunt I was above. But here's the thing, it's a nasty loophole, yes, but it's there. If the court does not require it, the ministry doesn't have to ban.

Edited by rubl

What does Yingluck perceive the blatant preferential treatment of elite criminals such as the Red Bull Ferrari cop killer? Does she perceive that this was a buyout and stall or just a complete buyout with corrupted officials. How can she convince ordinary Thais that the law applies equally to everyone when such a flagrant and abusive criminal conspiracy and collusion occurs in Thailand and is regular news?

Pfff... never mind that guy, how about issuing a new passport to a criminal fugitive that just so happens to be her brother?.

Here's how it works.

IIRC, Thaksin didn't request it. Also, where does it say that they are required to issue a passport to anyone that requests it?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Here's how it works.

Seems a plausible theory - your own? What happened to the claims that it was issued while the office was closed due to flooding, or some such? and why has Surapong never denied visiting Thaksin at that time (AFAIK)?  Why was this not supplied to the ombudsman the first time he asked?

When was it explained? If it was explained, why has an explanation been asked for every 3 months?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Here's how it works.

Thank you for explaining all that. Just one tiny question. If what you say is correct, and I'm sure you've researched it carefully, why has the PM/DM failed to answer the Ombudsman's questions regarding this for over 12 months. All she has to do, is say what you have said.

A little strange don't you think?

Sorry, just one more little question. How do you know how the passport was actually delivered to Thaksin? Who told you this?