Who should pay for the damage?

Paangjang

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever anyone else tells and advises I believe that you alone will end up paying, no matter what.

On what basis, legal or racial?

Racial mostly......

Did you take out insurance?

Has the renter got insurance beyond the CTPL?

Likely you are responsible for the difference, as is the way here for motorcycles damaged on rental contracts.

Any damage to the truck............. yet..........

The driver who crashed into it should pay all. Stand your ground, it is not your business. It is between the bike owner and the driver. It has nothing whatsoever to do with you, they are just trying to take advantage. Tell the rental company if they are going to be unreasonable with you then you will rent elsewhere.

• Like 1

Ask for a specification of the repairs, 4000 Baht is too round a figure to be the real cost, this indicates that she's pulling your leg.

The practical side of the matter is how much time and negative energy would you like to spend on crap like this?

Edited by recycler

My view, you hired the bike and are therefore responsible for it, if it gets damaged its your problem initially.

Assuming the bike is insured, you report it to the bike shop, they file a claim, the insurance company chases whoever did the damage.

I would co operate as much as possible with the rental people and whatever procedure they have, but wouldnt part with a dime unless it was in the rental agreement re excess or whatever, thats why you paid insurance, (assuming you did).

Most bike rentals dont have full insurance, too expensive.

So its up to you and the bike owner to sort it out.

You will always loose so pay the 2000 or 4000 and mark it up to experience then go and buy a cheap bike

You're liable to pay the owner for the full damages of the bike, the truck driver is liable to pay you the same amount. The owner of the bike is just helping you out by dealing with the truck driver directly but if the truck driver refuses to pay, then it's your responsibility to pay and seek the damages from the truck driver.

I suggest that you just pay half of the reported 4000 bht and be done with the whole issue. Not real benefit to fight this one. It is only 2000bht ($60 aprox) and so not the end of the world. Besides if you do not do it, as distasteful as it is to any of us, then you are opening yourself up to a whole mess of conversations, police interviews, etc. We all know tha the 4000bht price tag was jacked up by the rental company. We all know that the truck driver was never going to do a thing about fixing anything (yea... take it to a friend... right). We also know that the rental company just wants the money and will never have the bike fixed at all anyway and rented to some other poor slob on a Gap Year who will then be charged with its damage again if they have the slightest chance to get away with it. So just pay 2000bht with a smile on your face and remove the thorn in your side. Then go have a drink!

• Like 1

The truck driver pays 2000.

The balance is 2000. I wwould propose the lady of the bike rental to bring that down to 1000 and pay 1000 now.

In any case all parties involved should have a feeling of fair. The lady, the truck driver and you.

Bad feelings never help in this country.

Relax and propose it.

My view, you hired the bike and are therefore responsible for it, if it gets damaged its your problem initially.

Assuming the bike is insured, you report it to the bike shop, they file a claim, the insurance company chases whoever did the damage.

I would co operate as much as possible with the rental people and whatever procedure they have, but wouldnt part with a dime unless it was in the rental agreement re excess or whatever, thats why you paid insurance, (assuming you did).

As far as i know, you can't insure a motorbike... Only a new one and only for theft ;)

the only reason you have been asked to pay is because they think you will pay

just give the replacement bike back and say you cant afford to rent it anymore because you have no money

I've already paid upfront for that until the 15th of next month.

Got the call this morning. She says she wants me to exchange this new courtesy one i was given back to the old one (now fixed) I told her i was out of town and would go to see her this evening. Can't really do much about swaping the bikes, they are hers.

To be honest i've made my decision and that is im going to stand my ground. I'll just copy the truck driver and say i don't have the money, end of. If she wants to take it further, i'll let her do that.

I like the posts Lemoncake made in the early hours of this morning, take a look at them. I think he made a good point. I also think things have moved too far down the line already to come back to me asking for money. I can't see her taking me to court over thiscoffee1.gif

Some good advice here though guys, thanks kindly.

The bike was parked on our property when he swung by and hit it.

And why isn't he arrested by the police for coming onto your property and damaging your stuff ? Then agreeing to compensation and not showing up.

I think i might be pushing my luck a bit there...

As far as i know, you can't insure a motorbike... Only a new one and only for theft xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

Respectfully, this statement is very wrong. Class 1 insurance is easy to get in Thailand.

Just go to he insurance sub-forum here and ask away. New Honda Click, Class One is about 3000B a year. (Full comprehensive if you hit a merc with Bail insurance etc.)

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

If you rent a vehicle in your home country without insurance and gets damage while in your possesion, who is legaly responsible to get it fixed? You you and you, nothing about race or being in Thailand. As in any other country you have choice of getting the money out of the driver, but the rental agreement is between you and the rental company. In actual fact they are very nice to over 50% payment.

If you rent a vehicle in your home country without insurance and gets damage while in your possesion, who is legaly responsible to get it fixed? You you and you, nothing about race or being in Thailand. As in any other country you have choice of getting the money out of the driver, but the rental agreement is between you and the rental company. In actual fact they are very nice to over 50% payment.

But it is about race when the Thai guy says i should pay because "Farang mee dang"...

Edited by Paangjang

2000 freeking thousand baht has you this tore up? Principle or not this is a small sum. Pay it and walk away with less stress. Or go stick some dog fur on it and leave it outside the other guys place who is fighting getting fleeced for 20k

But it is about race when the Thai guy says i should pay because "Farang mee dang"...

What do you think mee dang means?

Do you live in a gated Moo Baan?

If so, did the contractor place a bond with the Moo Baan before being able to start working?

This is pretty normal practice in Thailand and in the two cases we had work done on our house, contracted had to place cash bond before Moo Baan would let them in

This Bond is supposed to be in case the contractor does any damage to Moo Baan while they are working an is returned at the end if the job

Why not check with moo Baan and ask the rental lady to come with you to discuss if they can take out of the deposit

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

INSURANCE.

Presume you had some.

Do tell what rental bikes come with insurance which covers property damage in an accident?

Not really the point here but I do love these rental companies and their 'taking insurance' like it's extra.

Their entire business is based on 'other people' driving their vechicles and I presume they are ALL Insured .... yet you rent and you 'take out' insurance.

I can't believe vehicles are only covered for the duration of someone renting them, or are they? Just seems odd

For the OP ... the truck driver expected you to pay ... oh really? What a surprise!

I would get a police report and hand this to the rental company.

The damage was done by a third (turd?) party... he admittedf liability....repairs were agreed with the driver...he agreed a deal with the rental company....he broke the agreement....as did the rental company by getting the repairs done perhaps a bit too quickly?

Get the report, hand it in smiling, tell them it has nothing to do with you and offer to help them as far as you can. I don't see what the rental company can do except chase the driver. They have their bike,,,you have your passport.

• Like 1

2000 freeking thousand baht has you this tore up? Principle or not this is a small sum. Pay it and walk away with less stress. Or go stick some dog fur on it and leave it outside the other guys place who is fighting getting fleeced for 20k

No Scotty.

This is exactly the problem. The buggers expect us to pay. All rot statrs with a tiny spot and it has to stop with the small stuff.

Exactly, the cost doesn't bother me but its principle. He s,ashed my bike, agreed to fix it. The rental lady beat him to the repair job, padded the bill then they disagree. Next the fingure is pointed at the local farang... I certainly won't pay, ever...

• Like 2