Controlling cholesterol

Brian Corrigan

Lop are you saying you paid 6300 Baht for 180 X 10 mg. Atorsan? I usually pay 2200 Baht for 100 X 20 mg. Atorsan (GPO). BUT, something has recently happened (I think it has to do with the trade agreement/IP dispute between Pharmaceutical companies in Europe and USA and Thailand), and I can't find Atorsan anymore, only Pfizer brand Lipitor which costs about 150% more.

Edited by elektrified

locally made brand will cost much less.

The "locally made brand" Atorsan (GPO) is a bit of an odd one. It has the Thai Company GPO Pharmaceutical brand but it is made in a factory in Slovenia. For some reason it has become difficult to get. Pharmacies that still have some in stock are charging 100% more than I normally pay for it. One friend who is a Pharmacist told me "right now not possible to get." I wish I knew what was going on as I am out of it.

I eat oats and nuts and lots of veggies and my cholesterol has gone from 314 to 101 in 9 months

If that's any help

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Don't shoot the messenger, I only tell what I read....not my opinion.

By eating mostly meat and vegetables but almost no carbohydrates (as some believe it is more natural to people) there are are some reports that the cholesterol went down, even way more animal fat was eaten.

• Like 1

My local pharmacy sells a box of 40 Simvastatin 20mg(brand name Zimmex) for about 300 baht. I have been taking one tablet after dinner for over the past five years and my cholesterol levels are quite dandy.

Cholesterol in the body is produced primarily by the liver and it is essential to be present for some body cells to function. LDL (low density) cholesterol can become attached to the walls of veins and cause a blockage, HDL carried excess cholesterol away and returns it to the liver. People taking antivirals should consult a doctor before starting a course of antistatins. Eating grapefruit isn't a good idea either.

A lawyer who represents himself in court has a fool for a client. The same goes for those who take on board medications without first seeking informed medical advice.

Interesting how opinions vary, in the Uk the doctor there put me on simvastatin 20mg, continued for 5 years, had a check up here, the Thai doctor said there was no need to be taking anything, my cholesterol was 100. I stopped on his advice, went through some horrible withdrawals (guessing cos I felt awful).

Went back after 2 months as requested by the Thai doctor reading was 150 from not taking anything at all.

He said taking statins "long term" is not the answer as it can be harmful.

Thats my story, not a recommendation.

Zimmex statin in Thailand , I was paying 4 baht per pill.

Edited by CharlieH

I eat oats and nuts and lots of veggies and my cholesterol has gone from 314 to 101 in 9 months

If that's any help

Don't shoot the messenger, I only tell what I read....not my opinion.

By eating mostly meat and vegetables but almost no carbohydrates (as some believe it is more natural to people) there are are some reports that the cholesterol went down, even way more animal fat was eaten.

in many cases cholesterol is produced by the liver no matter what your diet is.

Upcountry I have only been able to find Lipitor ("Original" the pharmacists call it when I ask for atorvastatin) for around 400 THB per10 tabs (10mg). That was the most recent purchase is Chum Pae. In Korat I buy it for about the same price.. I did have one lady try to give me Crestor at a different pharmacy than I usually go to.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Many people will NEVER be able to control cholesterol with diet and exercise for many reasons including genetics (the body manufactures the stuff itself).

Quitting the statins after long term use can be life threatening. Only do so under care of a COMPETENT doctor.

Even switching statin types is shown to increase risk for death.

It is a big decision to go on lifetime statin therapy. But I totally disagree with the slant here that the downsides are as bad as being pushed here, for the vast majority of people.

Interestingly, in the U.S. a recent medical directive is to advise MANY more millions of people to go on statins. I know the cynics will say it's all about drug company profits, but sorry, not EVERYTHING fits to a conspiracy theory. Also of course there are the cheap generic statins which are viable for many or most.

The nation's first new guidelines in a decade for preventing heart attacks and strokes call for twice as many Americans — one-third of all adults — to consider taking cholesterol-lowering statin drugs.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2013/11/13/daily-circuit-statin-drugs?refid=0

This represents a MAJOR change in policy. So trust who you want, I would tend to listen more to the American Heart Association than some random Thai doctor.

I am guessing Thai doctors are not yet and might not ever be following these new American guidelines. It's your choice, it's your life.

Edited by Jingthing

If that's any help

Sharp, how do you eat your oats? I tried them for breakfast for a while with light milk and artificial sweetener but got bored with them very quickly.

I just paid 1950 Baht for 30 pcs  Sandoz Atorvastatin 40 mg at a Fascino pharmacy.

That's about 100% more than I usually pay so you need to shop around more.
That is all well and good...would you share the information on where you made the purchase?

If that's any help

Sharp, how do you eat your oats? I tried them for breakfast for a while with light milk and artificial sweetener but got bored with them very quickly.

Hi

I take semi skimmed milk, almonds and banana with them as bananas have phytosterols in them which supposedly is ok for the cholesterol level as I said it's worked for me but I'm no Doctor but my lab tests don't lie

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If that's any help

Most people into oatmeal will mix w/ fruit, esp, raisins, bananas, cinnamon; nuts; and even honey, inevitably attributing mystical powers to the honey.

Congrats on using the artificial sweetener and not the fruits and honey. Berries--strawberries, blueberries--would be good. As for nuts, those need to be macadamia, almonds, or cashews--not peanuts.

Unfortunately if you're gonna do oats, you should eat oat bran, not oatmeal. Much better: look it up. But oat bran tastes significantly worse, moving into the sawdust area where it beats only the taste of wheat germ.

So now the problem is even worse. Yet oat bran is unquestionably good for lowering cholesterol.

Maybe the best thing to do is to combine it into some kind of pseudo smoothie. Whole fat milk or unsweetened soybean milk, a big dash of unsweetened coconut milk, oatbran, cocoa, cinnamon, artificial sweetener, and protein powder. Add strawberries or blueberries (frozen are much cheaper). Use a blender if you go for the berries.

That's what I do; works for me.

Cocoa isn't mentioned often enough around here w/ the exception of Jingthing. I added in a daily dose of unsweetened natural cocoa (avoid Dutch processed) and it definitely raised my HDL, 'cause that was only thing I'd changed since my last blood test. Now I highly recommend it.

Other than that, a low-carb diet tends to raise HDL and lower triglycerides significantly. (I had in mind a low-carb diet when I recommended full-fat milk). Exercise of course helps a lot, and not smoking. I smoke a cigar every week or so and it doesn't hurt, however. Cigarette smoking, now--I can't imagine a bigger no-no.

Interpreting the cholesterol numbers is important--many doctors, esp in Thailand, seem not to be aware of the fact. You need to pay attn to the ratios to understand where you are. There's a great post on a lowcarb forum here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/cholesterol-heart-health/660259-ldl-hdl-ratio.html#post13137439. Particle size of the LDL seems to make a critical difference. Correct interpretation may make the difference in a statins/no statins decision. Did you know that people with higher cholesterol actually live longer on average?

Articles that may be of interest:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/22/debunking-the-science-behind-lowering-cholesterol-levels.aspx

http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiovascular-disease/benefits-of-high-cholesterol

True, some people genetically pump out too much cholesterol and can't lower it through diet and exercise. But I think the vast majority of people can if they work it in the right way.

A low-carb diet combined w/ exercise has been working great for me--and I have at least 1 drink a day and I do smoke cigars. smile.png But most any diet (Mediterranean, vegan) you can stick with and gets you to a normal weight will be good. That is, losing and maintaining weight one way or the other is the best possible thing you can do.

Diets that work best avoid sugars, grains and starches such as bread, rice, and potatoes. (I've decided many posters here post so much nonsense because they're "grain brains": http://www.amazon.com/Grain-Brain-Surprising-Sugar-Your-Killers/dp/031623480X.) Cut those all out until you're at your ideal weight, then see what you can add in for maintenance. Oat bran would be the first thing to add back in.

• Like 1

I had a big negative with Lipitor and found that pomelo is the grand father of grapefruit, so changed to pravastatin but cannot find it in rural northeast, so have gone to simvastatin but will have to watch out for pomelo.

So far, the only statins significantly affected by this interaction are:

· atorvastatin (Lipitor®)

· lovastatin (Mevacor®)

· simvastatin (Zocor®)

Other statins do not seem to demonstrate the same, profound effect with grapefruit as seen with the other statins. These would include:

· rosuvastatin (Crestor®)

· pravastatin (Pravachol ®)

· fluvastatin (Lescol ®)

· pitavastatin (Livalo ®)

The attached chart gives strengths of each statin and may help.

My cholesterol has been just below 400 since I was 20, they took it at work and it was 400. My doctor told me I needed to go on Statins, when I was 50, but I refused. He gave me something, like don't come crying to me when your in the hospital! Don't worry, but could you please give me the STAT'S on how many people died from heart disease's, that were on Statin or any other. My oldest sister is 73 and refused to take them, and the doctor told her, (this was some time ago) "then I don't want to see you again", she said "GOOD I don't want to see you either" My sister who is part of the sheeple crowd, takes Statins and she's 66 and looks older than my sister! Don't know if the drug has anything to do with it, but I'm thinking. And she watches everything and exercises. I just turned 64 now and stay fit with yoga, static crunches, and rollerblade, hell I street skated from Lumpini Park to Huai Khwang (after doing 4 laps in the park), that could be scarier that death. One thing we don't have in our family is heart disease. Good everyone can take the same drug and everybody's body, reacts the same to it .........Go ahead call me a CYNIC!

Most Thai Doctors are educated in Western or First world nations, and the ones educated here, by those same doctors. Sounds like the doctors in the USA, never killed or misdiagnosed anyone. I'll go by what my dad's friend always said, "doctors don't want you healthy or they'd be out of a job!" Why aren't they up in arms on the over weight, 60-70 of our Nation, why isn't JingThing, that's a lot of Cholesterol!!

And 1/3 of all American's should be on Statin drug, oh, like the 2/3 American people, that are on anti-depressants, kids on Ritalin and doctors will prescribe extra meds, just to cover their ass in case they misdiagnosed something. I can do a simple comparison......Watch Thai TV sometime and let me know what drug is advertised, on ANY station. In my country, you are continuously bombarded by Drug advertising, you don't see any soap commercials. The AMA is one of the Biggest unions in America and those are doctors.

So listen to the American Heart Association, Cancer Society, go to Micky D's, use your artificial sugar, coloring's and Enhancer's. I don't know how they got along year's and year's ago with out Statin's, maybe ate a lot of real Butter.

Hey, my Rolled Oat recipe, small piece's of mango (if you have it) on the bottom, 4 big tablespoons of Hahne real oats not quick, raisin's sprinkled over, then 2 or 3 spoons of rice w/ a banana sliced on top. Pour over 1/2 cold Lactasoy light w/collagen (closest to milk) and 1/2 cold water. I eat it everyday, but doesn't knock down cholesterol, it minimal.

"If Chick-lock don't get you Hen-lock will"

• Like 1

If you want an objective balanced SCIENTIFIC view on some strong arguments PRO and CON on deciding on statins or not, I suggest checking out these two clips from the BBC show, Trust Me, I'm A Doctor --

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01dgd9c/features/shoulditakestatins

Personally I am not pushing taking them or not. That's an important personal decision that should be made based on doing your own research and seeking good medical advice.

What I would NOT trust, not in a million years are silly anecdotal folk takes about my Aunt Betty did this or that and this happened. They are as worthless as hearing about a 100 year old chain smoker and deciding you can safely chain smoke too.

Hi KKU;

You did stent in Thailand? Can you tell me where you did it and how much cost please? I try to get information about it for awhile, no one can tell me. I may need it later time. Thank you

I had a stent placed 4months ago in Maharat Hospital Nakhon Ratchasima, spent 2 days on ICU, after that went home. Total costs 130.000 thb.

I just paid 1950 Baht for 30 pcs Sandoz Atorvastatin 40 mg at a Fascino pharmacy.

That's about 100% more than I usually pay so you need to shop around more.
That is all well and good...would you share the information on where you made the purchase?

I always buy from the wholesaler but it is not available right now.

I spoke with a Pharmacist tonight that I know and who is well-informed, and she told me that any Atorsan in Thailand now is old stock and pharmacies are charging more for it because it is so difficult to get right now and there is a demand considering how expensive Pfizer Lipitor is in comparison. She also said that it will be available again in Thailand in a week or two in a new packaging of 30 tablets per box and with a price increase of 25%.

My cholesterol has been just below 400 since I was 20, they took it at work and it was 400. My doctor told me I needed to go on Statins, when I was 50, but I refused. He gave me something, like don't come crying to me when your in the hospital! Don't worry, but could you please give me the STAT'S on how many people died from heart disease's, that were on Statin or any other. My oldest sister is 73 and refused to take them, and the doctor told her, (this was some time ago) "then I don't want to see you again", she said "GOOD I don't want to see you either" My sister who is part of the sheeple crowd, takes Statins and she's 66 and looks older than my sister! Don't know if the drug has anything to do with it, but I'm thinking. And she watches everything and exercises. I just turned 64 now and stay fit with yoga, static crunches, and rollerblade, hell I street skated from Lumpini Park to Huai Khwang (after doing 4 laps in the park), that could be scarier that death. One thing we don't have in our family is heart disease. Good everyone can take the same drug and everybody's body, reacts the same to it .........Go ahead call me a CYNIC!

Most Thai Doctors are educated in Western or First world nations, and the ones educated here, by those same doctors. Sounds like the doctors in the USA, never killed or misdiagnosed anyone. I'll go by what my dad's friend always said, "doctors don't want you healthy or they'd be out of a job!" Why aren't they up in arms on the over weight, 60-70 of our Nation, why isn't JingThing, that's a lot of Cholesterol!!

And 1/3 of all American's should be on Statin drug, oh, like the 2/3 American people, that are on anti-depressants, kids on Ritalin and doctors will prescribe extra meds, just to cover their ass in case they misdiagnosed something. I can do a simple comparison......Watch Thai TV sometime and let me know what drug is advertised, on ANY station. In my country, you are continuously bombarded by Drug advertising, you don't see any soap commercials. The AMA is one of the Biggest unions in America and those are doctors.

So listen to the American Heart Association, Cancer Society, go to Micky D's, use your artificial sugar, coloring's and Enhancer's. I don't know how they got along year's and year's ago with out Statin's, maybe ate a lot of real Butter.

Hey, my Rolled Oat recipe, small piece's of mango (if you have it) on the bottom, 4 big tablespoons of Hahne real oats not quick, raisin's sprinkled over, then 2 or 3 spoons of rice w/ a banana sliced on top. Pour over 1/2 cold Lactasoy light w/collagen (closest to milk) and 1/2 cold water. I eat it everyday, but doesn't knock down cholesterol, it minimal.

"If Chick-lock don't get you Hen-lock will"

What a load of rubbish.