23 countries now warn citizens on travels to Thailand

webfact

23 countries now warn citizens on travels to Thailand

thaksin-protest-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand said today that now a total of 23 countries have issued warnings for their citizens on travels to Thailand.

TAT deputy governor Sukree Sithivanich said the latest countries issuing travel warnings to Thailand are Denmark, China, South Korea and the United States, raising total countries issuing travel warnings to 23 from earlier 19.

But he said that of all these 23 countries, 21 of which just issuing Step 2 warning or be cautious on travel. None have raised the travel warning to Step 5 prohibiting travel or Step 4 to review travel.

He said countries which issued Step 3 warnings for their citizens are Israel and Slovak.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Sihasak Phuangketkao, meanwhile, said most of the 23 countries have just issued warnings telling their people about ongoing political protests in Thailand, and avoiding specific areas where protests are held.

The US issued warning with suggestion that citizens should be careful near government agencies, while Brazil has cautioned its citizens against visiting the Grand Palace and areas surrounding protest rallies at Democracy Monument, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/23-countries-now-warn-citizens-travels-thailand/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-27

no need for warnings its not angola..its peaceful as everyone knows.its in bangkok where it takes a lifetime to get anywhere anyway ,with or without a protest going on..i dont think tourists are that bothered more curious i would have thought..

• Like 2

no need for warnings its not angola..its peaceful as everyone knows.its in bangkok where it takes a lifetime to get anywhere anyway ,with or without a protest going on..i dont think tourists are that bothered more curious i would have thought..

Yes, they just need to be told to duck when the shooting starts.

• Like 1

Totally agree... Unfortunately Western "Media" based in Bangkok seem to feel the need to blow it out of proportion... For case in point, have a look at Richard Barrow's twitter feed...

These travel warnings are nothing new and none really have changed, they've just added bits in i.e new protests etc, but the overall opinion/mood hasn't changed.

As Office Barbrady says "move along people, there's nothing to see here" ;)

Don't these protesters have jobs?

Funny I was thinking the same...

anything not to work!...

and when all of this is all over..no matter who prevails....these people will go back to their ho hum lives and realize that nothing, absolutely nothing has or will change in their own little worlds

They could be the farmers that turned their rice into the government mills three or four months ago and still have not been paid.

• Like 1

anything not to work!...

and when all of this is all over..no matter who prevails....these people will go back to their ho hum lives and realize that nothing, absolutely nothing has or will change in their own little worlds

They could be the farmers that turned their rice into the government mills three or four months ago and still have not been paid.

Few of these will be the small rice growers, no time for BKK. Most of these seemingly are from all walks of life, much different to the red mob, who were mainly from Issan and paid to (perform) Free food -bus-cash. the same people that had them vote that way in the villages etc.

It's somewhat ironic that the only winners will be the rich, greedy, the influencial ... the very people they are seemingly protesting against. The poor will always suffer, as will Thailand when foreign investment pours out of the country, tourists who decide that they give the country a wide berth for pastures new. When the dust settles, they will eventually ask the question, 'why are we so poor'? and when that happens then things will 'really' kick off !

I agree that living here, we all know that the protests are not yet affecting normal life; however, why should a tourist take the chance - better to stay away from Bangkok and visit Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai up north or the beaches in the south. Or better to choose VIetnam, Indonesia, Cambodia or Malaysia until the protests stop.

• Like 1

23 countries issue travel advisory on Thailand
By English News

13855411372694.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 27 - Thai Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul on Wednesday said 23 countries have issued travel advisories for their citizens to be cautious in travelling in Thailand and to avoid rally sites.

Mr Surapong said the People's Republic of China and Australia have issued travel advisory on ongoing political demonstrations in the Thai capital, following those from the United States, the United Kingdom and the European Union.

He added his Cambodian counterpart Hor Namhong has also sent a letter to him, expressing Cambodia's support for the democratically-elected government.

Mr Surapong said foreign diplomats who attended Tuesday briefing on the political protests said they understand what has happened right now and have already informed their government of the situation and the Thai government’s clarification.

The foreign ministry is filing a civil case against the anti-government protesters who occupied the ministry compound, Mr Surapong said as anti-government protesters led by former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban intensified their protests and occupied all ministries, including the foreign ministry.

Although the protesters have already left the compound, he said, there was some damage.

Meanwhile, Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong said the finance ministry's officials are now working at temporary stations with backup computing system after they were forced to leave office as protesters occupied the ministry Monday afternoon.

He said budget disbursement has not been affected as concerned, but seizing the ministry will have some impact on the work of its officials.

Mr Kittiratt said the finance ministry has already filed a police complaint against the intruders and asked the Administrative Court to order them to leave the ministry compound. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-27

Been working at two 5-star riverside hotels today. One of them is receiving a steady flow of postponements and/or cancellations and the other has lost 300+ room nights (from cancellations) in the past 48 hours alone.

This 'situation' is having direct effects on the high-end tourism.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Assume that TAT will publish a plummeting of arrivals to only 327% over last year. Well, you cannot have everything, do you!

According to the "permanent secretary for tourism and sports" it's already begun!

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Protests-cause-number-of-foreign-tourists-to-drop--30220725.html

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by GrantSmith

Been working at two 5-star riverside hotels today. One of them is receiving a steady flow of postponements and/or cancellations and the other has lost 300+ room nights (from cancellations) in the past 48 hours alone.

Interesting, a contact of mine at another "high end" 5 star hotel in the rajdamri/ratchaprasong precinct said it was pretty much business as usual...

If your above info is correct, that hopefully will equate to some decent rates being available for the weekend "getaways" :)

Interesting, a contact of mine at another "high end" 5 star hotel in the rajdamri/ratchaprasong precinct said it was pretty much business as usual...

If your above info is correct, that hopefully will equate to some decent rates being available for the weekend "getaways" :)

Maybe the riverside hotels are a bit more 'touristy' with the Rajdamri/Ratchaprasong hotels being more for the business traveller?

I guess the tourists would be more prone to cancelling compared to the business traveller?

Either way, there was an air of desperation surrounding the loss of high season guests.

Maybe the riverside hotels are a bit more 'touristy' with the Rajdamri/Ratchaprasong hotels being more for the business traveller?

I guess the tourists would be more prone to cancelling compared to the business traveller?

Either way, there was an air of desperation surrounding the loss of high season guests.

Agreed, these riverside hotels that are closer to the action this time 'round would be suseptable to knee jerk reactions... I would imagine The Siam hotel would be one of these, which is a shame really, as it's really a beautiful hotel...

Hotels that are closer to the business end of town on the river; Mandarin Oriental and Shangri-La, the Millenium Hilton and The Peninsula across the river, should be relatively business as usual...

Yes. Their job is to get the corrupt government out ASAP.

And replace it with another bunch of corrupt buffoons

All countries have issues with their elected... When people realize that they have the power and that Governments are the servants, then things may change...

• Like 1

Yes. Their job is to get the corrupt government out ASAP.

And replace it with another bunch of corrupt buffoons

All countries have issues with their elected... When people realize that they have the power and that Governments are the servants, then things may change...

post-153732-0-24927400-1385544399_thumb.

Edited by Rob8891

Most protests are peaceful to start and 99% of the time, I have been caught in similar protests when they go wrong elsewhere (KL) It soon becomes terrifying very quickly.We got assaulted by both the crowd and the police, Police hit me and my wife with Rattans.This was just getting back to the hotel

Unfortunately theres always those with a different agenda, as well as opportunist amongst the crowd. Two years ago my wife and I was also mugged, when we had no choice but to cross the last red shirt rally behind the monument as the Taxi stopped and we went on foot, just as the crowd started moving police are too busy dealing with the numbers, to help out or care.Thankfully other protesters came to our aid, but we was lucky.The mood changed in minutes, a complete reversal of whistles and clappers to lead pipes and anger.

I wouldn't go near these protests, and feel anyone that thinks they are ok or peaceful have a screw loose.As foreigners we have no place there anyhow.

Edited by stiggy
  • Like 2

anything not to work!...

Few of these will be the small rice growers, no time for BKK. Most of these seemingly are from all walks of life, much different to the red mob, who were mainly from Issan and paid to (perform) Free food -bus-cash. the same people that had them vote that way in the villages etc.

dont you think this mob is not getting fed, well seems you not see the pic yesterday with a huge pot of stew being handed out and there were tables with very large pots scattered down the road, they did not get here by themselves, wonder who supplied the buses, train fares, and what about the daily stipend, have to cover the cost of an odd beer as we all know that thais hate to drink.. better not to assume - and not hard to see what color your wearing

• Like 1

Are they offering any reduced rates to compensate?

I just had a look though some booking websites everything seems about the same, some lower end places in Sukhumvit have dropped a bit.

anything not to work!...

It's clear which side of the fence you are on... perhaps it's their "ho hum" lives and all that means that is behind everything.

Have a look at the GDP / HDI gap and you'll see that Thailand is pretty much number one for that as well.