Protests cause number of foreign tourists to drop by 300,000: Thailand

webfact

15 November: ATTA says protest not yet affect tourism

27 November: Protests cause number of foreign tourists to drop by 300,000: permanent secretary

Come on chaps, get your story straight. violin.gif

Don't worry they will still reach a new record for the number of tourists. It goes up and through the roof every year.

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 November: Protests cause number of foreign tourists to drop by 300,000: permanent secretary

Don't worry they will still reach a new record for the number of tourists. It goes up and through the roof every year.

Untruth alert!

Check the 20%drop in tourism and the USD 8.5 billion loss to the economy caused by the airport closure. The Bank of Thailand study says the $8.5 billion loss exceeded the damage caused by the outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), which hit Asia in 2003, or the damage wrought by the 2004 India Ocean tsunami.

The airport shutdown stranded hundreds of thousands of tourists, and kept others from coming into the country, at the start of the peak tourism season. But the economic costs went beyond the tourism sector, with logistics and trading companies hit hard.

Tourism authorities estimate arrivals over the first six months of 2009 will fall by 2.5 million, costing the industry more than $3 billion in lost revenue. Before the airport closure, authorities had earlier forecast arrivals of 15.5 million in 2008.

http://www.voanews.com/content/a-13-2009-01-12-voa11-68822187/413588.html

So if they rebook in 3 weeks time this is a gain? So this could be 300k over 6 weeks. Aha. So barely a crisis.

There is a good forum to read about the current crisis called ThaiVisa. Check it out,

Countries issuing Thailand travel warnings now rise to 28

Anti-government rallies in Thailand gain momentum

Anti-government protests spread to Thai provinces

Protesters lay siege to more Thai ministries; some officials express support

UN leader Ban Ki-moon concerned by Thailand protests

The anti government protestors dumped the economy by closing the airport and now they are trying it again.

Think of the governments that have elections and now think of the governments that don't have elections. Which side are you on? Ya I know Stalin and Mao did a wonderful job.

And tat have quantified that 300k have cancelled in 10 days since the protests. Give it another 10 days and phuket will be a ghost town right?

Why would you say that? Did the newspaper say that? Businesses including hotels have a break even number. Hotels have a break even occupancy rate and restaurants have a customer break even number. In other words they need a certain amount of customers to stay in business.

The higher the break evens the more likely they are to fail due to the current crisis.

The last time the yellow shirts tried to dump the economy they cost the average Thai business 280,500,000,000 baht. http://www.voanews.com/content/a-13-2009-01-12-voa11-68822187/413588.html

So if they rebook in 3 weeks time this is a gain? So this could be 300k over 6 weeks. Aha. So barely a crisis.

There is a good forum to read about the current crisis called ThaiVisa. Check it out,

The anti government protestors dumped the economy by closing the airport and now they are trying it again.

Think of the governments that have elections and now think of the governments that don't have elections. Which side are you on? Ya I know Stalin and Mao did a wonderful job.

You are really clueless and gullible.

There are no travel warnings! (Don't go there! It is dangerous! Stay away!)

These are travel advisory! (Be careful where you go, keep eyes and ears open!)

The first (warning) has legal implications f.e. for Tour operators.

The later is nothing but a hint!

The effect is more subtle than what can be assessed by number-crunching cancelled flights etc.

The problem Thailand faces re; tourism, the brink-of-abyss news stories about social implosion, and the (relatively) new factor which is that people worldwide see all of Thailand's political streetfighting in technicolor on the Internet, which did not happen with previous generations of tourists who might hear the occasional cottonwool BBC 9 O'clock news snip or a few paragraphs in the more literate newspapers. For the first time, tourists have been seeing all the gory details on the Internet for the last decade, even casual web-users such as pensioners who might want to go on a trip of a lifetime to exotic Thailand. The news output today has a far wider and more profound effect on people and their travel decisions, than it ever did before.

Why it is more subtle than just numbers, is that when a state implodes or is in a constant state of lawless flux, you will still get visitors, because a lot of criminals want to live in countries where the law is clearly ignored or enforced weakly, so the worse it gets here the more visitors of the undesirable kind you will get.

The truly sad thing for Thailand is that despite its century of upheavals, it was always seen as a "once in a lifetime family-holiday" for many nice friendly families with kids, who saved up and came to the exotic and truly wonderful land of Thailand. For many of those families it was their first time in the East, and they saved up a lot of money and planned it for a long time, and spent big and tipped big when they came here, because it was a really special holiday, a memory of a lifetime. I'm not talking about the fleshpit resorts, I'm talking about people who wanted to see the splendours of Ancient Siam, museums, floating markets, botanical gardens, traditional architecture and art, jungle treks etc.etc. For those people it was like visiting another planet, and a unique culture that you couldn't find anwhere else. And for their children too, unforgettable memories for life. People fall in love with Thailand and spend their lives saving up to travel back and spend big here.

I wish the leaders of both political factions would consider the "erosion of image" factor instead of the "numbers of flights" factor, the next time they start storming buildings or threatening violent confrontation with their perceived opponents.

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 1

Untruth alert!!

TAT board chairperson Miss Pensuda Prai-aram said that the latest warning by five countries raised total countries which have issued travel warnings to 28 from earlier 23.

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand said that five more countries have issued warning to their citizens on travels to Thailand.

Now I ask you, would Thai Visa knowingly post information that was false? So it must be you who is wrong. DN

And I'll thank ya to keep your opinions about me being clueless and gullible to yourself. Sure that's not a proper way to address fellow posters on Thai Visa.

Untruth alert!!

TAT board chairperson Miss Pensuda Prai-aram said that the latest warning by five countries raised total countries which have issued travel warnings to 28 from earlier 23.

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand said that five more countries have issued warning to their citizens on travels to Thailand.

Now I ask you, would Thai Visa knowingly post information that was false? So it must be you who is wrong. DN

And I'll thank ya to keep your opinions about me being clueless and gullible to yourself. Sure that's not a proper way to address fellow posters on Thai Visa.

Yes, they would because many people (even in the travel industry) do not know the difference between a warning and an advisory!

Warnings will 100% not be issued at this stage! Why? Nothing dangerous is going on at the moment!

And that is that!

Untruth alert!

I may be wrong but is it not the Insurance of Tourists that becomes invalid if there is a travel Warning. (not affected on an advisory)

Thailiketoo you are one of the irritations on TV …that’s why I very rarely even look at TV anymore , if I want to listen to donkeys talking <deleted> wanting to start fights I go to my local Thai bar w00t.gif

• Like 2

Untruth alert!!

Yes, they would because many people (even in the travel industry) do not know the difference between a warning and an advisory!

Warnings will 100% not be issued at this stage! Why? Nothing dangerous is going on at the moment!

And that is that!

Untruth alert!

Voice of America. Thai Protesters Press on With Rallies Amid Fears of Violence

Some protest leaders are doing more than criticizing the government. Protest leader and former opposition member of parliament, Suthep Thaugsuban has proposed replacing the current elected government with a non-elected council.

The recent demonstrations have raised fears that Thailand's tumultuous politics have returned, as well as the possibility for more bloodshed.

Chris Baker, an author and analyst on Thai politics, said the protests may be losing direction. But he said that could raise the chances for violence as extremists try to reinvigorate their movement with clashes.

http://www.voanews.com/content/anti-government-protesters-press-on-with-rallies-amid-fears-of-violence/1798756.html

PS you might want to tell that German reporter there is nothing dangerous going on.

Anti-government protesters target media, attack German reporter (Reporters without Borders)

http://en.rsf.org/thailand-anti-government-protesters-target-27-11-2013,45511.html

Edited by thailiketoo

And you can bet that the real number is a lot higher. You can assume any number the government ministry quotes is fictitious. They are not known to be honest, straight, ethical, or otherwise a fair player. So, there is always an agenda. And it is always biased. I have a friend who was planning to come in November of 2014, and he has already cancelled his trip. Alarmist, yes. But, many tourists are very careful in choosing their destinations, and the perception of danger is not something they want to deal with. And the fact that the Yingbat is demonstrating such an incredible lack of talent as a leader is alarming to many. She seems to be completely out of her element here. When things are going smoothly, she seems to be a reasonably capable hostess sort of leader. But, when the crap hits the fan, she seems about as incapable of resolving a problem as her counterpart in the US.

I may be wrong but is it not the Insurance of Tourists that becomes invalid if there is a travel Warning. (not affected on an advisory)

Thailiketoo you are one of the irritations on TV …that’s why I very rarely even look at TV anymore , if I want to listen to donkeys talking <deleted> wanting to start fights I go to my local Thai bar w00t.gif

It's too bad that you can't disagree with me without calling me names like, "donkeys talking <deleted>." Do you think that contributes anything to the discussion. You do know that not everyone in life will agree with your view of the world or current events.

You are mistaken. wai2.gif

I put him on ignore due to his crap and it is most peaceful in here. tongue.png

• Like 1

To Monkey. Sorry I didn't notice. My posts was directed and I quoted bigbamboo. I have no desire to engage you in a logic argument. If you know the Thai numbers are wrong post the right ones. If not I don't see the purpose of a discussion with you.

I would not discuss logic if I was you either :-)

Anyway, the right numbers are 800 tourists, causing an estimated loss of 3 million baht. My source is the same as the one referred to by khun Suwat Sitthilor in the OP. Hope this helps.

Sorry afraid you lied. Suwat did not list a source for his information. Whatever you know you made up. 300,000 may be accurate it may not. There are two points. 1. Whatever it is it is bad for the economy and Thailand. 2. You are not in a position to know more about tourism in Thailand than a minister who has access to arrival and departure information at the airport. What is your reason for trying to diminish the damage to the Thai economy?

Maybe the point is a little more abstract. Unfortunately the current government has a propensity for lying. This is made worse because they admit to lying and even claim its ethical. There is also a propensity within PTP that different Ministers issue different sets of figures, some of which are in direct contradiction.

This creates the impression that the current government are inept and don't know the real figures, make figures up to suit themselves, lie about figures when they feel lying is in the "best interests" of the people and suppress real figure when they decide too. Given this, of which many examples are easily researched, some people may challenge any figure that is issued from a government controlled source.

Unfortunately, when you are repeatedly caught lying, no one believes you if you are telling the truth.

The current government have caused massive damage to the Thai economy, Thailand's credibility, and left for another 2 years, will do more damage. This is possibly why so many people from so many strata of Thai society are protesting.

• Like 1

To Monkey. Sorry I didn't notice. My posts was directed and I quoted bigbamboo. I have no desire to engage you in a logic argument. If you know the Thai numbers are wrong post the right ones. If not I don't see the purpose of a discussion with you.

I would not discuss logic if I was you either :-)

Anyway, the right numbers are 800 tourists, causing an estimated loss of 3 million baht. My source is the same as the one referred to by khun Suwat Sitthilor in the OP. Hope this helps.

Sorry afraid you lied. Suwat did not list a source for his information. Whatever you know you made up. 300,000 may be accurate it may not. There are two points. 1. Whatever it is it is bad for the economy and Thailand. 2. You are not in a position to know more about tourism in Thailand than a minister who has access to arrival and departure information at the airport. What is your reason for trying to diminish the damage to the Thai economy?

Maybe the point is a little more abstract. Unfortunately the current government has a propensity for lying. This is made worse because they admit to lying and even claim its ethical. There is also a propensity within PTP that different Ministers issue different sets of figures, some of which are in direct contradiction.

This creates the impression that the current government are inept and don't know the real figures, make figures up to suit themselves, lie about figures when they feel lying is in the "best interests" of the people and suppress real figure when they decide too. Given this, of which many examples are easily researched, some people may challenge any figure that is issued from a government controlled source.

Unfortunately, when you are repeatedly caught lying, no one believes you if you are telling the truth.

The current government have caused massive damage to the Thai economy, Thailand's credibility, and left for another 2 years, will do more damage. This is possibly why so many people from so many strata of Thai society are protesting.

Too bad it's not the majority. I'll try and explain. I fought an unjust war because my government told me to go. I almost got killed. Many died. A new President was elected and he stopped the war. Not until 50,000 Americans were killed.

Protest is good. Protest stopped the war in Vietnam and LBJ didn't even run for president again. He was wrong and he left and the people elected a new President after 50,000 were killed. That's the way a democracy works. If you don't like the government you have an election.

If you don't have a majority you bite the bullet and try hard to convince others they are wrong and you are correct.

You are correct if left for two years the current government will do more damage. Closing the airport did a lot of damage and the Vietnam war did a lot of damage. I know.

There is an answer. Elections. Does anyone really think that Yingluck is the first bad politician to arrive on the scene? Does anyone really think that Yingluck is the first politician to lie or harm the economy? 300,000, 200,000, 100,000 whatever it is it's bad.

Nobody really cares within the anti-democracy protest movement. They want back to the stone age with an absolute monarchy and they have been the country's economy for it for close to a decade. We had airport seizures that virtually kidnapped hundreds of thousands of tourists, killed off the holiday business for exporting companies, we had mass murder orchestrated by Suthep on Bangkok's streets more than once which killed off the tourist industry and the royalists are so cocky to think that they have the knowledge about democracy and what certain people do and that rural people are stupid.

Agreed the old money has done everything possible to keep the rural people stupid and poor. Their education is a mess and it still discourage thinking and it is based on listening to stories about the system, the falsification of history and giving wrong information about the very top people in the country. But that was before the ghost escaped the bottle and before the internet and social media. Now the rural are better informed than the yellow shorts who suddenly behave like drunken Patpong hookers on tv when asked for an interview by the foreign media. Suddenly they are sick of the colours they made up themselves.

The Anti democrat forces will an appointed government. Sure! To protect their self interest. And the slip of the tongue that Suthep made with his request for an absolute monarchy was of course Freudian.

Some protest leaders are doing more than criticizing the government. Protest leader and former opposition member of parliament, Suthep Thaugsuban has proposed replacing the current elected government with a non-elected council.

The recent demonstrations have raised fears that Thailand's tumultuous politics have returned, as well as the possibility for more bloodshed.

Chris Baker, an author and analyst on Thai politics, said the protests may be losing direction. But he said that could raise the chances for violence as extremists try to reinvigorate their movement with clashes.

http://www.voanews.c...ce/1798756.html

PS you might want to tell that German reporter there is nothing dangerous going on.

Anti-government protesters target media, attack German reporter (Reporters without Borders)

http://en.rsf.org/th...2013,45511.html

Thaiiliketoo...let me explain it very, very slowly for you: the threat that something may happen in ..a week or a month or a year...does not make any country issue a travel warning, because if that were the case, half the nations on earth would be warned about constantly.

Let me give you some examples from the German Foreign Ministry- warnings are issued for Jemen, Somalia, Haiti, Iran, Afghanistan, Kongo, Palaestina and Japan (specifically for the Fukushima Area).

The travel advisory for Thailand speaks of demonstrations in Bangkok and asks people to avoid the demonstrations. There also is a specific advisory for the far South.

Again: a WARNING is legally binding for Tour Operators. They have to f.e. accept ANY cancellation by ANY client who doesn't want to travel to Thailand and give the money back! With an advisory, this is simply NOT the case!

DO YOU GET IT NOW???

• Like 1

If the thai protestors are able to understand what they are doing now hurt their country's economy and many many many fellow countrymen's livelihood.

And this dysfunctional and corrupt Government isn't?

Don't know where you are from but have you ever had a dysfunctional and corrupt government? What did your country do about it?

http://www.voanews.c...ce/1798756.html

http://en.rsf.org/th...2013,45511.html

Thaiiliketoo...let me explain it very, very slowly for you: the threat that something may happen in ..a week or a month or a year...does not make any country issue a travel warning, because if that were the case, half the nations on earth would be warned about constantly.

Let me give you some examples from the German Foreign Ministry- warnings are issued for Jemen, Somalia, Haiti, Iran, Afghanistan, Kongo, Palaestina and Japan (specifically for the Fukushima Area).

The travel advisory for Thailand speaks of demonstrations in Bangkok and asks people to avoid the demonstrations. There also is a specific advisory for the far South.

Again: a WARNING is legally binding for Tour Operators. They have to f.e. accept ANY cancellation by ANY client who doesn't want to travel to Thailand and give the money back! With an advisory, this is simply NOT the case!

DO YOU GET IT NOW???

You want to argue about the meaning of travel warning that is posted by news sources a number of places on Thai Visa. It's not the point. The point is tourism is crashing. Tomorrow Thailand will stop in a work stoppage. More tourists will not come. That's the subject of the thread (300,000 tourists not coming) and the point I was trying to make. DO YOU GET IT NOW???

Edited by thailiketoo

My 78 year old mother is coming for a 2 month visit in January. She has not even hinted at cancelling.

Some people would I guess as some people are nervous Nellies, but nobody that I know would.

The Thai government is simply not going to issue a self-fulfilling prophecy by saying tourism is way down.....

The Thai government said, "BANGKOK: -- On-going protests have caused the number of foreign tourist to drop by 300,000 so far, the permanent secretary for Tourism and Sports said Wednesday.

That is the topic of this thread, the Thai government saying tourism is down???

• Like 1

hope it continues to fall every little helps the cause..more bad news by the hour it seems ..well atleast the racist thais will be happy to see less win,win then..

One need not wait long for bigotry to surface.

Humankind is unique in that certain elements of it enjoy inflicting pain on others.

My 78 year old mother is coming for a 2 month visit in January. She has not even hinted at cancelling.

Some people would I guess as some people are nervous Nellies, but nobody that I know would.

I suggest keeping abreast of developments and best wishes, hoping the trip goes well.

If the thai protestors are able to understand what they are doing now hurt their country's economy and many many many fellow countrymen's livelihood.

And this dysfunctional and corrupt Government isn't?

No doubt but at least tourist money is still rolling in. Now that travel warnings are issued in many countries, many people's rice bowls are affected.

And tat have quantified that 300k have cancelled in 10 days since the protests. Give it another 10 days and phuket will be a ghost town right?

Why would you say that? Did the newspaper say that? Businesses including hotels have a break even number. Hotels have a break even occupancy rate and restaurants have a customer break even number. In other words they need a certain amount of customers to stay in business.

The higher the break evens the more likely they are to fail due to the current crisis.

The last time the yellow shirts tried to dump the economy they cost the average Thai business 280,500,000,000 baht. http://www.voanews.com/content/a-13-2009-01-12-voa11-68822187/413588.html

I am saying that it is extremely improbable that they have 300k confirmed cancellations already. That would be a massive drop.

They get 400k per week and they confirm 300k as cancelled already?,, of course I expect the common strategy of increasing prices to gouge the remaining visitors to kick in soon then. Lol

If 300k cancel all at once, the resorts would be silent.