"No dog" condo regulations?

lifeinbkk

The condo that i'm living now does not allow dogs,

But one day i saw this person bringing two dogs out for a walk in the stroller everyday.

I wonder how it is possible to raise two dogs in "No dog" condominium

Does anyone knows what happens if i were to raise a puppy in a condo that says "No dogs"?

Some people say that I should try to raise the dog secretly in the condo,

But what happens if anybody were to find out?

people taking dogs for a walk in Thailand , is that normal , I thought they were mostly strays or accessories

of fashion 5555 biggrin.png

Best ask around if your a dog lover, last thing you want is to start n maybe have to give up your dog.

Ask the person with the dogs if they got permission could be a good idea.

and the neighbours, some have specifically moved there coz they are sick of or don't like or have allergies

to dogs ..

good luck wai2.gif

A few extra bucks sent in the correct direction every month can often smooth over a lot of rule violations, especially if the neighbors aren't inconvenienced.

The second issue is the owner of your specific unit, and what's in your lease contract, assuming you live there and don't own it.

I guess you're right smile.png

I'd better ask the person with the dogs.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Why don't you start by reading the rules.

Sometimes rules are changed (to no dogs permitted) but existing arrangements are grand fathered.

Ask the management committee.

We own one unit and long term lease another in a "no dogs" building in BKK. We have 2 dogs. Many owners do. I cleared it with the owner of the unit we have the long term lease on and he told me that he installed all tile in that unit because of his dogs when he lived there.

The management doesn't mess with the owners and those that have dogs take care of them. We even pay a bit extra direct to the housecleaning team for the building to do extra cleaning on the rooftop park (which is only used by the dog owners .. we never have to deal with the strays that way) I do not believe I have ever seen a dog that weighed over 10kg in the building. An adjoining building is all rental units and the no dogs rule is strictly enforced.

• Like 1

The same way it is possible to ride a motorbike without helmet, build without building permits, carry more than one passenger on a motorbike, gamble, allow your 12-year-old to drive a motorbike to school, etc etc.

Regulations; laws; who cares? Nobody, even if they are caught the fines are insignificant plus you can normally bribe to make it go away.

• Like 1

In my condo, I've never seen any pets at all. Maybe someone have house cats, but the guards go rounds every night. If they find anything not allowed, they knock the doors. If someone break the condo rules, water is shut down. Quite effective.

Do you live in my condo? It has a strict 'no pets' rule. Loads of people have dogs. This is Thailand. Loads of rules but few are ever enforced.

Back to the pets. Somebody keeps a cocker spaniel ....... on the balcony. On occasion it goes inside. I think that is about its total life, 90% balcony 10% inside. Another condo has a labrador which stays on the balcony. It mooches around forlornly in its own shit. What is wrong with people, I don't know.

Once I heard a skittering noise outside. There was a chihuahua racing up and down the corridor. Don't know where it came from. Don't know where it went next. Another floor, perhaps. This is a condo, not an apartment block. One might expect higher standards. However, TIT.

Do you live in my condo? It has a strict 'no pets' rule. Loads of people have dogs. This is Thailand. Loads of rules but few are ever enforced.

Back to the pets. Somebody keeps a cocker spaniel ....... on the balcony. On occasion it goes inside. I think that is about its total life, 90% balcony 10% inside. Another condo has a labrador which stays on the balcony. It mooches around forlornly in its own shit. What is wrong with people, I don't know.

Once I heard a skittering noise outside. There was a chihuahua racing up and down the corridor. Don't know where it came from. Don't know where it went next. Another floor, perhaps. This is a condo, not an apartment block. One might expect higher standards. However, TIT.

Frankly, I'd expect higher standards from a well run apartment complex where one entity owns all the property and leases units out under their terms- take it or leave it.

Individual units in condos are owned by various entities that may have very different standards for the condition and renters of their own unit. Common areas can be controlled, but only if it's in the interest of the majority. That's often not the case if it costs anything, or if the restrictions create a barrier to the owners' renting out the units.

Edited by impulse

About 10 years ago in my condo just outside Bkk they put a sign in the elevators for a month or so that dogs were not allowed. Most people removed their dogs and a few did not. The condo cut the electric power in the the condos that kept dogs and also in many condos that had removed their dogs. It was a big big mess. Not sure how legal that is but they did it.

My Condo also has a no pets rule.

On a daily basis we used to hear this awful wailing sound from down the corridor... It was a cat.

My wife recorded the sound and took it to the Condo management.

I'm not sure how they addressed it but the cat is no longer there.

A few months later we heard barking all day from the Condo across the hall, again my wife complained to the Condo Manager, the people in the opposite condo were resistant but also housed the dog elsewhere.

I don't really mind the pets unless they make a terrible noise or smell.

The Condo does standby their regulations, but we need to give them a little nudge when we see something.

The same way it is possible to ride a motorbike without helmet, build without building permits, carry more than one passenger on a motorbike, gamble, allow your 12-year-old to drive a motorbike to school, etc etc.

Regulations; laws; who cares? Nobody, even if they are caught the fines are insignificant plus you can normally bribe to make it go away.

"Regulations; laws; who cares? Nobody, even if they are caught the fines are insignificant plus you can normally bribe to make it go away."

For a moment there I thought you were talking about elected representatives, bankers. corporate CEOs and hedge funds in the US and Europe.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

i reply from personal, long and bitter experience. So a co-owner breaks the Condominium Rules & Regulations. So what? So what can be done and by whom? Legally enforceable? I dont think so. In fact I know so (provided no Thai laws are being broken)! In my view Rs & Rs are (optimistic) guidelines for harmonious living.

• Like 1

Thais don't think rules apply to them, rules are for other folks. Last condo I lived in was no dogs with signs all over, every other room had a bloody dog. One woman had 12 cats, called the cat woman of course.

Yup, and one day we'll figure out that most of the world is that way, and we who grew up in nanny states, where there's a rule for everything, will have to either readjust our thinking, be miserable, or go back where we're protected from everything that can possibly hurt, cheat, take advantage of, or irritate us.

prk888 is right,. In most of Asia, a contract is a starting point that says, "let's go ahead with this transaction" with each side knowing the other party may want (or need) to renegotiate when additional unknown factors come up. Our nanny governments didn't do us any favors by shielding us from ever having to learn to negotiate, since everything is clearly marked and we can go to "the man" to enforce what's written down.

Irritating? Yes, sometimes. But that's life here in Asia. And that's also why we can get away with breaking all kinds of laws here without the nanny police writing us a summons. I'd hate to see Thailand if they started enforcing every rule on the books. Most of us wouldn't last long.

Apologies for overusing "nanny", but it seems to fit here.

In my condo, I've never seen any pets at all. Maybe someone have house cats, but the guards go rounds every night. If they find anything not allowed, they knock the doors. If someone break the condo rules, water is shut down. Quite effective.

Hmmm that might work in a building with management controlled leased units but not in one where your water bill and electric bills come to you in your own name, That would be a fast way to own the management company.

and Briggsy if you hadn't mentioned the big dogs I would think it might have been my partner's chihuahua skittering.... Every once in a while she'll bolt out the door and do one lap around the lifts looking for the cat from our floor ... but then she keeps running straigt back in the condo. (The cat is bigger than her so she really would not want to catch it .. just to play :)

I love my neighbors in that building. Great people and very kind. Only issue I have ever had was with a renter and I just ignored the issue. The rest of the neighbors straightened it out quickly and by the next month those renters were living in the other building.

• Like 1

The regulations against allowing pets in condos are there for a reason!

Where I live, there is a no pet rule, which is enforced. Yesterday morning, somebody came into our car park with a dog (on a leash) and was stopped from coming into the building by security who for once did their job.

Alan

Staying on topic. A "no dogs" condo policy may well be enforced in the western world, but Thailand is still "smoke & mirrors" Asia. Despite the "written" by-laws, laws, policy, statutes or regulations, enforcement is arbitrarily enforced, based upon whether, or not you drive a 3 million baht Benz, or an 800k-bht Honda Jazz. My observation is that the greatest violators of any written juristic "policy" in Thailand, are the ethnic Benz owners. Everybody else seems to kow-tow to them. Police included.

My advise would be to just "Let It Be".whistling.gif

Staying on topic. A "no dogs" condo policy may well be enforced in the western world, but Thailand is still "smoke & mirrors" Asia. Despite the "written" by-laws, laws, policy, statutes or regulations, enforcement is arbitrarily enforced, based upon whether, or not you drive a 3 million baht Benz, or an 800k-bht Honda Jazz.   My observation is that the greatest violators of any written juristic  "policy" in Thailand, are the ethnic Benz owners. Everybody else seems to kow-tow to them. Police included.

My advise would be to just "Let It Be".Posted Image

Or as you alternatively suggest, buy a Merc!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I live in a no dog condo. I'd like to have a dog too, but I agree that the rule is a good one and it seems to be fully enforced.

If 100 or 200 of the occupants had dogs, which in my building would be far fewer than half the units, how many of those dogs would be barking or crapping or urinating somewhere in the building or the elevators or the parking lot at any given moment of the day or night? And how many of them would be dumped just outside the building once the owners became bored with it all and decided to part company with Bowser?

If you really want a dog, rent/buy a house with a garden. Life will be more pleasant for the dog, for you and (probably) for your neighbors.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Rent a house and live in a unsecure area.

You will have all the amenities a dog will need to live comfortably, without all that pesky security that comes with living in a condominium.

• 10 months later...

About 10 years ago in my condo just outside Bkk they put a sign in the elevators for a month or so that dogs were not allowed. Most people removed their dogs and a few did not. The condo cut the electric power in the the condos that kept dogs and also in many condos that had removed their dogs. It was a big big mess. Not sure how legal that is but they did it.

do you still live there ? in which area of Bangkok's outskirts is that place ? I am desperately looking for a place where the NO DOG rule is being enforced (and those places who enforce their rules are much better managed and maintained than others anyway)

I wish they would do that too at the Condo where I live. many nights cannot sleep because of the barking at 2am / 3 am......

is that in Bangkok ? am looking for a NO DOG Condo in the outskirts of BKK.....