Protests will continue until Thaksin regime is out

webfact

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what happens when they kick them out. Then get voted back in? I just don't get it.

The idea is to kick them out and then change the whole process to make the system of politics more democratic and uncorruptable so the likes of Thaksin can not interfere with politics. To eradicate vote buying and populist policies, and install more rigorous checks and balances.

Then whoever gets voted in, it will be the democratic way.... They are trying to repair the laughable system of politics basically.

Don't be so sure about PTP getting back in that easily. With no vote buying or populist policies.

Yes, they are trying to change the voting system. If you remember last time around, the Dems suggestion was that only percentage of parliamentarians would be elected by popular vote, with the balance being appointed by a 'special committee'. The committee being made predominantly of members from the elite ruling class. Hardly a fair or democratic process.

But ALL politicians are from the elite class. What would you prefer? appointments from the farm??

Politics is a very complex and academic system. Everyone who qualifies to be a politician in Thailand has the exact same right to run for election and work their way up the political ladder as anyone else.

But pulling up the past like a lot of people on TVF seem to enjoy doing, is exactly what is holding this country back.

Forget what this lot wanted and that lot wanted years ago... You can't move forwards by having your head stuck in the past and bitching about what was said then.

The whole idea is that we have a system that is put in place to make everything tamper proof and democratic. Create a system that can not be bought with baht and crazy populist policies. By allowing the constitutional court and the NACC to work together to submit a system for approval by the head of state that appoints no political entity of any class or dynasty.

Then start a fresh round of elections that can not be tampered with and let a government be elected a truly democratic way.

Many people will make suggestions, but nothing is cast in stone... they are ONLY suggestions.

They can " act whatever they deemed fit"( sic). So a faction not controlled by the centre...these people are out of control already and cutting electricity to essential services is beyond the pale. They are out of touch with the middle class Thais who supported the initial protests. They will lose more support as their actions become more extreme

My version.

These people are beyond GOVERNMENT control. They might lose some support IF their actions become extreme.

I think that many will be pleased that those based at BIB HQ are being given a hard time by the protesters. Payback time?

• Like 1

Who the hell is this guy?

He is Suthep Thaugsuban's step-son. He studied at St. Gabriel's School in Bangkok, spent some time studying in Australia, and later studied at Oxford University. He has been directly involved with the democrats since about 2009.

Thank you for adding to the general fund of knowledge. So many people here throwing darts in the dark.

So what happens when they kick them out. Then get voted back in? I just don't get it.

The idea is to kick them out and then change the whole process to make the system of politics more democratic and uncorruptable so the likes of Thaksin can not interfere with politics. To eradicate vote buying and populist policies, and install more rigorous checks and balances.

Then whoever gets voted in, it will be the democratic way.... They are trying to repair the laughable system of politics basically.

Don't be so sure about PTP getting back in that easily. With no vote buying or populist policies.

The democratic way, with Suthep at the helm of "the peoples government", hahahahaha

Forget Suthep's 'people's council'.... That won't happen, again it is a suggestion.

Suthep's role in this, is to oust the government and the Thaksin regime from Thai politics.

Once that is achieved, there will be nothing appointed by Suthep. It will go to higher authorities, and I believe Suthep will be more than happy as long as the long term goals are achieved.

Suthep is a 'fire brand' and has his use as far as getting rid of the House of Thaksin from Thailand's affairs. That is where it should end, which is why I agree that the Democrats take the first leap and all resign dysfuctioning parliament and showing the people that they are prepared to throw themselves onto their swords to achieve a better Thailand for all.

Even if they do get in they will not have the power to say stick it where the sun does not shine Thailand. We are the lords and masters constitutional court verdicts don't matter to us.

• Like 1

Even if they do get in they will not have the power to say stick it where the sun does not shine Thailand. We are the lords and masters constitutional court verdicts don't matter to us.

My point exactly.

The system should be such that they can't do that, especially kicking back at the constitutional court. I think banning orders should be automatic and taken out of the CCs hands.

I also think coalitions should be banned from parliament in the case of an outright majority vote. As well as the attempt to forge allegiances with other party MPs to influence a house vote should be made illegal.

The anti govt protestors have stated they do not want too much democracy want to revert to before 1932 with the King as the Head of the State.

So if that much is clear then the military cannot interfere and we will have to wait to see what happens on the King's birthday.

However for Yingluck her patience must wear thin after December 5th and will have no recourse but to be firm as the PM as one would expect in any democratic country. The police are trained they have to enforce the law however this waiting game will push back Thailand in her recovery from the floods and the rice scam and this political mess.

Wake up lads. Politicians everywhere in the world are all corrupt, why do you think they work for peanuts? Taksin was clamping down on corruption and you can't do that, which is why they ousted him.

They have stable government in the west because the media fools enough of us, here the media isn't that influential, so they play ring-a-ring-a-roses instead.

This is helping make sterling stronger anyway....and those multinationals left will hasten their departure to cheaper countries.

Buying votes is a great idea, cuts down on hypocrisy.

I'm thinking of writing a book called 'AllanB through the Looking Glass'. Thaksin clamping down on corruption?????????????? If anybody needs to awaken it is you. Dear Leader only clamped down on the opposition to him and his money making plans.

The UK Press has a well earned reputation for being savage; it was they who exposed MP's for fiddling their expenses remember? Perhaps you can advise the readership where you think the multinationals will flee to? Flooding seems to be their main concern whereas dealing with Thai Governments presents no great problem. Whilst you are in cloud cuckoo land you might dream up the big battalions of commerce ganging up to buy Thailand and running it as a commercial enterprise within a Customs Free zone. laugh.png

You belong firmly in the Thaksin camp if your concern is the strengthening of sterling at the expense of the long suffering Thai peoples. Selfishness personified.

Thailand FB chat
Red: We love Democracy and we will use it to bring back our corrupt leader!
Yellow: We love Democracy too, as long as we win the election!
Yellow: We love Thailand and we are Buddhists!
Red: We are Buddhists too and we really love Thailand!
Yellow: <deleted>! I'm gonna kill you!
Red: No! I'm gonna kill you first!
Both: SHIT! Maybe we should talk?
Both: Yeah! But let's kill each other a few more years and talk later!

Yes, they are trying to change the voting system. If you remember last time around, the Dems suggestion was that only percentage of parliamentarians would be elected by popular vote, with the balance being appointed by a 'special committee'. The committee being made predominantly of members from the elite ruling class. Hardly a fair or democratic process.

Incorrect Jasun

You are confusing the PAD idea (floated briefly) with the Democrats who never spoke out for that model.

Your statement of the make-up of the "committee" as you call it that the PAD floated as an idea is also incorrect. It was to include people from all groups of society, from labour unions to farmer to academics etc ...

it was a particularly poor idea that never gained any favor amongst other groups and not even within the PAD itself which is why they splintered shortly thereafter.

Until they start locking up dodgy politicians and those associated with them, this cycle is crap will continue.

Could not agree more.

That goes for all politicians.

Process all 666 NACC cases involving politicians as a priority. and reform the constitution to make it concrete, final and devoid of any elements that make it vulnerable to manipulation and misinterpretation. Reform the election commission systems to make elections more policed with party dismissals for any vote buying, to also include scrutiny of policies so that they conform as being within the national interest rather than a targeted vote buying exercise.

I do believe that this is exactly what the Dems want..

Up to now, the demands of Suthep and the Dems seem to be to targeted to a specific single focus... To remove the House of Thaksin from politics... Which is all well and good, and something that I totally agree with. But it is now time for them to explain to the people exactly what happens after.

If they came out with much more detailed information on their ultimate goals for the reform of the country's political scene and then sell it to the people, they may just get a massive thumbs up from the all round populous.

But at the moment, just shouting demands, even though I agree with them as a first step to reform, their strategy continues to promote division rather than a coming together for a fair and non-corrupt democracy.

I think Suthep's idea of a 'people's committee' will work, so long as it is in keeping with un-bias fairness, and it is appointed by the a combination of the NACC and constitutional court perhaps and sanctioned by the head of state. I say the NACC because they are currently in the role of monitoring corruption, whereas I think prevention is better than cure, so they should have a say in setting up the mechanisms to be uncorruptable from the outset.

I will not accept that the people of Thailand want corruption in politics and I doubt that many will be bothered about not earning 500 baht every few years.

All governments should be voted for because of their own merit, and their ability to deliver policies that are realistic and serve the entire country, of all classes with a fair and even hand.

Massive jail sentences for those who attempt to corrupt the new system.

Well it all looks good on paper. How ever to accomplish it we would have to have a long time line. During which the train could be derailed rather easily.

As you say

" their strategy continues to promote division rather than a coming together for a fair and non-corrupt democracy."

a fair and non-corrupt democracy is a long term goal and can not be brought about over night.

How would it be possible to come together with the present PTPredshirts to accomplish these goals?

As I see it and am not suggesting it but a coup would be the only way to attack the problem right now. It would be unconstitutional but so is the unelected commission that Suthep is suggesting. With the army in the seat of power neither side would have the edge.

This of course would depend on the army taking control with the idea of setting up a workable government that would have less means to pocket the money them selves. There would still be corruption but not to the extreme the present Government has allowed it to grow to.

Basically it would be putting a lot of trust in the army. But we know the present government can not be trusted. People are loath to try the Democrats as they have no track record. The only meaningful time they have had a chance they were hampered by having to please to many other parties,. They were not like the present government where they could just ram any thing they wanted through with out having to please other parties. As they are finding out now over half way through their term they have to please the public. They can not continue their up yours you don't count approach.wai2.gif

I thought all the yellow shirts were the smart educated people, how can they spend all day loitering the streets, shouldn't thy have jobs to go to?

They are a richer segment of society and many of them own businesses so they don't necessarily have to go to work. They are more likely to be a employer than an employee, at least of those that are demonstrating.

Some employers will let their employees go to the protests if they want to.

I thought all the yellow shirts were the smart educated people, how can they spend all day loitering the streets, shouldn't thy have jobs to go to?

They are a richer segment of society and many of them own businesses so they don't necessarily have to go to work. They are more likely to be a employer than an employee, at least of those that are demonstrating.

Some employers will let their employees go to the protests if they want to.

Or "gently" encourage them to do so. biggrin.png

LOS; i would suggest its the "Land of very small brains" Won't effect mylfe but it will ruin the lives of millions of working class Thais for many years.

My friend, just sit back and have a laugh.

What I find really amusing about the politics here in Thailand is currently we have the pro Democrats protesting about the Shinawatra clan. Why, cos' the convicted, head man is openly controlling the country from exile? Maybe this is just too audacious for the opposition or maybe jealousy, I don't know.

I'm not for one minute pro-Thaksin or pro-UDD bullies but what would happen if the PTP are kicked out of power? (Not gonna happen as they have the house majority, right?) Another 'party' are in and just as bad. Just as corrupt but more stealthy in their approach. In a nut-shell, their all as bad as each other and shall we say, with different views on corruption biggrin.png

But you right about one thing, ' it will ruin the lives of millions of working class Thais for many years.'

There are still cases before the courts that could in theory ban PT and the parasite parties who support them.

This would only be a party ban and not a MP ban so all elected MP's would still be there representing their electorates without a party, in other words as independent MP's.

The PT and other party list MP's would be out because they were only there because of the party.

That would leave the Dems as the only party in the house.

If there could be an agreement worked out that enough independent MP's stayed independent without joining any party (including the Dems) until the next election and joined together to form a majority Govt with the Dems at the helm, as the only party, and to work for the country and their electorate instead of a party then perhaps something could be done.

Cabinet ministers would then be appointed for their ability and not as a reward for services rendered.

Suthep would have to be left out completely.

That would still not answer the problem of Thaksin sticking his money in again and forming a new party, only an international warrant for his arrest and him brought back to face his crimes could solve that.

• Like 1

The Democrats should resign, force the dissolution of the house and keep the heat on the people that have acted in Thaksins interests, like the policeman who went to Dubai and the guy who gave him a Thai passport.

How would their resignation force a house dissolution? There are other parties who are just a skype call away from becoming the official opposition.

This thing has been allowed to fester for so long now that it has a life of it's own now.

If Thaksin were to have a faatal heart attack natural or unnatural the situation would continue.

Possibly worsen with the increased infighting to be the first pig at the trough. Yingluck would be reduced to s confused bystander who occasionally here's her name mentioned in relationship to some thing but does not understand what it is.

• Like 1

Wasn't this 'supposed' to happen in 2006 when the military drafted constitution was adopted? What happened?

I am a bit amazed that the Democratic party thinks that it can legitimately regain power after a landslide PTP victory. Talk as you may about vote buying and populist policies, it happens across the board by all political parties. One last thought, I thought the Democratic party was supposed to be the 'people's' party? Why did it take a PTP victory to pass important social legislation like an increase in the minimum wage and an increase for government workers with college degrees? If these measures are so repugnant, may the government workers should return their salary increases as a form of protest!

Wake up lads. Politicians everywhere in the world are all corrupt, why do you think they work for peanuts? Taksin was clamping down on corruption and you can't do that, which is why they ousted him.

They have stable government in the west because the media fools enough of us, here the media isn't that influential, so they play ring-a-ring-a-roses instead.

This is helping make sterling stronger anyway....and those multinationals left will hasten their departure to cheaper countries.

Buying votes is a great idea, cuts down on hypocrisy.

You must make a tremendous amount of money to think all politicians in the world work for peanuts or you are completely out of touch with over 99% of the worlds population rendering your statement meaningless.

But it does feed to the want to feel downtrodden lot.

I bet your red shirts are made of the finest material money can buy.

I think amending the constitution should still be an option for any sitting government but introduce a required 2/3 majority of the total house to progress and approve such changes (similar to referendum requirements) if that had been the case already then none of this nonsense would be happening, this would then give the house proper representation of the whole of the voting public and not just the current 53% majority. Also scrap the immunity of sitting MP's from the courts and make telling lies and misleading the public a criminal offence, all those found guilty of any criminal offence should be banned public office for life.

Very well said and sensible to.

I think it is you who does not remember it was the Yellow shirts who suggested it and discarded the idea. It had nothing to do with the Democrats.

• Like 1

It's all a bit hilarious. This is a minority trying to force their way in. There needs to be education so the majority understand what's going on. This sort of stuff just steels the will of the red shirts. It's like a bloody merry go round. Force the government out. Have an election. PTP will win again. Yellow shirts not happy because even though they are a minority they think they have more rights because they are smarter. You want limited suffrage where only "smart" (not dumb rural farmers) people can vote? Then push for it. Yeah sure. Otherwise you just have to educate these "dumb" people so they'll see things your way and vote for your much smarter candidates and win government.

What's going on now is simply not going to work.

• Like 2