Protests will continue until Thaksin regime is out

webfact

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what happens when they kick them out. Then get voted back in? I just don't get it.

The idea is to kick them out and then change the whole process to make the system of politics more democratic and uncorruptable so the likes of Thaksin can not interfere with politics. To eradicate vote buying and populist policies, and install more rigorous checks and balances.

Then whoever gets voted in, it will be the democratic way.... They are trying to repair the laughable system of politics basically.

Don't be so sure about PTP getting back in that easily. With no vote buying or populist policies.

Only having been here five years my history is incomplete - also not being Thai I will not presume to comment on Thai parties or politics. However I am tempted to ask the question as to what the situation would be if this level of freedom of speech and expression reared its head in either the UK or US. Say what you like there is an acceptance of free expression that is rare in the west (with the exception of France).

So what happens when they kick them out. Then get voted back in? I just don't get it.

The idea is to kick them out and then change the whole process to make the system of politics more democratic and uncorruptable so the likes of Thaksin can not interfere with politics. To eradicate vote buying and populist policies, and install more rigorous checks and balances.

Then whoever gets voted in, it will be the democratic way.... They are trying to repair the laughable system of politics basically.

Don't be so sure about PTP getting back in that easily. With no vote buying or populist policies.

More democratic - you're having a laugh.

Yes, they are trying to change the voting system. If you remember last time around, the Dems suggestion was that only percentage of parliamentarians would be elected by popular vote, with the balance being appointed by a 'special committee'. The committee being made predominantly of members from the elite ruling class. Hardly a fair or democratic process.

Why they don't go about copying the system from Westminster I have no idea.

I find this press report offensive. Thaksin is not a Monarch and will never be so.

Thailand doesn't have a regime it has a widely respected Government.

Nice try, respected by whom, a minority of Thai people many who have been paid to do so.

Further, the respect seems to be diminishing daily as more and more of those who professed to respect the government are waking up to the fact they have been conned.

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

I find this press report offensive. Thaksin is not a Monarch and will never be so.

Nice try, respected by whom, a minority of Thai people many who have been paid to do so.

Further, the respect seems to be diminishing daily as more and more of those who professed to respect the government are waking up to the fact they have been conned.

Totally agree - in Ubon, Surin, Khoen kahn, Korat people are mobilising and demonstrating including disaffected "red shirts" who have woken up to the fact that they have been conned with , amongst other things, the promises made by the rice scheme.

Edit: this is red shirt heart land

Edited by Mudcrab

They can " act whatever they deemed fit"( sic). So a faction not controlled by the centre...these people are out of control already and cutting electricity to essential services is beyond the pale. They are out of touch with the middle class Thais who supported the initial protests. They will lose more support as their actions become more extreme

Would tend to agree that they may well be pushing the envelope to far. However, against such a nepotistic , corrupt and cancereous regieme as the PTP ,should they simply stop then the Yingluck and the PTP advocates would claim victory and very little outside a possible delay in the Amnesty Bill would have been achieved.

The censure debate as shown on TV only served to rubber stamp the arrogant, indifferent and omnipotent nature of Yingluck and the PTP lackeys.

It was truly a disgrace right out of a Thai soap opera

Peaceful protesting is perhaps the only avenue left in order to highlight the current plight of this country, however, civil disobedience, Occupation of Government offices and cutting power supply's is a little too close to anarchy for my liking.

Anyone with a semblance of intelligence, morality and a democratic mantra would have to vote for the removal of this abomination of government which tries to emulate governance on the outside while practicing nepotism and personal gain.

They claim to their voters that they represent them against the so called Bangkok elite of which they themselves actively aspire too.

Furthermore without a complete and total overhaul of the judicial, legal and administrative processes of this nation they are doomed to continue in their political cultural and financial morass regardless of who is in power.

Yes, they are trying to change the voting system. If you remember last time around, the Dems suggestion was that only percentage of parliamentarians would be elected by popular vote, with the balance being appointed by a 'special committee'. The committee being made predominantly of members from the elite ruling class. Hardly a fair or democratic process.

I thought they did. The lower house is based on the Westminster system but the upper house is impossible to copy. The voting system has been copied from the German system (I think) of part direct election of MPs and part from a political list.

Whatever the system is called it is failing and needs a drastic overhaul. The constitution likewise. The biggest problem is that too many Thais (and quite a few Farangs on TV) don't understand how the system works and the abuses that have been used over the years.

'We won the election so we can do what we like' is a continual mantra from PTP and the red shirt leaders & ignorant Farangs too. Any democratic system worth its salt has a means of checking on laws being passed by Parliament.

'Vote buying is carried out by all parties'. It may be used by individuals within parties but is virtually a policy within PTP & BJP who have obscenely rich single-clan financiers. Banharn's party is not far behind.

'The elite want to continue oppressing the poor'. Politics is full of elite people in all parties and there is no party that has or is prepared to implement policies that narrows the gap between the richest & poorest. The poorest Thai farmers are those who produce rice & other produce for their own & family's consumption. They get nothing from the rice scheme. The raising of the minimum wage is another fantasy about helping those at the bottom of the pile. By boosting inflation it has made their plight worse.

That's enough to be going on with.

Nice try, respected by whom, a minority of Thai people many who have been paid to do so.

Sure sure :)

That is what the anti-Thaksin media propaganda tries very hard to make you believe. Some swallow the story, some not :)

But it never translated into reality.

With the Dems now going insane, putting the chaos in Bangkok, trying to overthrow again an elected government, intimidating people of different opinions, playing countless dirty tricks, refusing to follow democratic principles, ..., ..., ..., I really don't see how the millions of people who vote for the Thaksin side at each and every election would change their mind. I have a tendency to think that many people will think twice before to support extremists, such as what the Dems have turned into... The appeasing method of Yingluck is by far the smartest.

Sent from my iPhone...

• Like 1

Sure sure smile.png

That is what the anti-Thaksin media propaganda tries very hard to make you believe. Some swallow the story, some not smile.png

But it never translated into reality.

With the Dems now going insane, putting the chaos in Bangkok, trying to overthrow again an elected government, intimidating people of different opinions, playing countless dirty tricks, refusing to follow democratic principles, ..., ..., ..., I really don't see how the millions of people who vote for the Thaksin side at each and every election would change their mind. I have a tendency to think that many people will think twice before to support extremists, such as what the Dems have turned into... The appeasing method of Yingluck is by far the smartest.

Sent from my iPhone...

The 2010 version:

Red shirts going insane (& being paid for it), chaos in Bangkok, trying to overthrow an elected government, intimidating (& much worse) people, threatening to burn down Bangkok (& denying it when it happened), using a heavily armed paid militia to instigate killing & a total ignorance of democracy.

The 2013 version:

No violence, no arms, no intimidation (despite provocation) & yes, playing dirty tricks (politics is a dirty game).

Yingluck's appeasing is hypocrisy considering that her (?) government started it all by failing to steamroller two self-serving bills into law. It is also fruitless given that no one apart for the acolytes believes she is in charge. Even Chaturon has questioned it.

Edited by khunken
  • Like 2

Why not confiscate Thaksin's and Pojman's assets; ban him from political activity for (10) years, and let him return home. After all, he was removed from office by extra-constitutional means. Richard Nixon was a crook, but be was forced out of office by legal pressure, not a by coup d'etat.

Why not confiscate Thaksin's and Pojman's assets; ban him from political activity for (10) years, and let him return home. After all, he was removed from office by extra-constitutional means. Richard Nixon was a crook, but be was forced out of office by legal pressure, not a by coup d'etat.

Why was Thaksin removed from office by extra-constitutional means? He formally resigned from office, left, came back and tried to hang on to power illegally. The army acted as "security" and made sure he left the building. The police were too inept or corrupt.

PTP love to refer to the "coup" and "Thaksin being removed from office". The facts are different ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but hey, don't let that stop you.

I do agree on confiscating his assets, and revoking his illegally issued passport, and issuing an warrant for his arrest via Interpol. The problem seems to be that common criminals are treated differently when they happen to be billionaires. regardless how the money was made.

• Like 1

Wasn't this 'supposed' to happen in 2006 when the military drafted constitution was adopted? What happened?

I am a bit amazed that the Democratic party thinks that it can legitimately regain power after a landslide PTP victory. Talk as you may about vote buying and populist policies, it happens across the board by all political parties. One last thought, I thought the Democratic party was supposed to be the 'people's' party? Why did it take a PTP victory to pass important social legislation like an increase in the minimum wage and an increase for government workers with college degrees? If these measures are so repugnant, may the government workers should return their salary increases as a form of protest!

Why do you think receiving 48% of the votes cast, in an election where approx 75% of the electorate actually voted is a landslide ? Think about this carefully. 48% is less than half. 25% of the people didn't vote, many of which were opposition voters who boycotted the election.

How do you equate this to a "landslide PTP victory" ? Madame PM/DM often uses the expression coupled with "absolute majority".

Who was it said, "tell the people a big lie enough times and they will believe it". Think it was a A. Hitler.

A minority of people voted for PTP. But it was the largest minority. See the difference ?

People have the right to boycott an election but I don't see how that creates a presumption of for whom they would have voted. But if you choose not to vote, doesn't that mean you have to live the results of the vote?

If you for look at the absolute numbers of PTP MPs, it was a landslide by any standard and in conformance with the Constitution. Correct me if I am wrong, but as I recall the news articles, it was the first time in Thai history that one party one an outright majority in the Parliament.

• Like 2

Your analogy fails in that the US has independent legal bodies that will force corrupt politicians from office, something seriously lacking in the Thai version of democracy.

• Like 1

Totally agree - in Ubon, Surin, Khoen kahn, Korat people are mobilising and demonstrating including disaffected "red shirts" who have woken up to the fact that they have been conned with , amongst other things, the promises made by the rice scheme.

Any first hand news on the activity in isaan?

Protests will continue until Thaksin regime is out

Think they got a long wait then.

The Regime as you put it ...is going nowhere. Thaksin has bigger fish to fry than being Prime Minister and if Suthep and his rent a mob dont stop him it will be the end game for many of the old power players in Thailand. The same power players who are financially backing this rally. This is not about this government record on corruption , its about stopping Thaksin from getting into the hot seat.

Any first hand news on the activity in isaan?

First hand as in 10 minutes ago...anti government rally at Beung KaenNakorn.. one microphone and 40 listening...nothing changed in Isaan...Thaksin is still the boy

Why was Thaksin removed from office by extra-constitutional means? He formally resigned from office, left, came back and tried to hang on to power illegally. The army acted as "security" and made sure he left the building. The police were too inept or corrupt.

PTP love to refer to the "coup" and "Thaksin being removed from office". The facts are different ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but hey, don't let that stop you.

I do agree on confiscating his assets, and revoking his illegally issued passport, and issuing an warrant for his arrest via Interpol. The problem seems to be that common criminals are treated differently when they happen to be billionaires. regardless how the money was made.

Interpol never issued an arrest warrant for Thaksin because they could not stop laughing at the request long enough to hold a pen

• Like 1

Wasn't this 'supposed' to happen in 2006 when the military drafted constitution was adopted? What happened?

I am a bit amazed that the Democratic party thinks that it can legitimately regain power after a landslide PTP victory. Talk as you may about vote buying and populist policies, it happens across the board by all political parties. One last thought, I thought the Democratic party was supposed to be the 'people's' party? Why did it take a PTP victory to pass important social legislation like an increase in the minimum wage and an increase for government workers with college degrees? If these measures are so repugnant, may the government workers should return their salary increases as a form of protest!

Why do you think receiving 48% of the votes cast, in an election where approx 75% of the electorate actually voted is a landslide ? Think about this carefully. 48% is less than half. 25% of the people didn't vote, many of which were opposition voters who boycotted the election.

How do you equate this to a "landslide PTP victory" ? Madame PM/DM often uses the expression coupled with "absolute majority".

Who was it said, "tell the people a big lie enough times and they will believe it". Think it was a A. Hitler.

A minority of people voted for PTP. But it was the largest minority. See the difference ?

100 more seats than the democrats without the coalition now thats what I would call being rogerred in the poop pipe by a chutney ferret. Butt F....d

Who the hell is this guy?

He is Suthep Thaugsuban's step-son. He studied at St. Gabriel's School in Bangkok, spent some time studying in Australia, and later studied at Oxford University. He has been directly involved with the democrats since about 2009.

I am reminded of a profound quotation by Stephen Hawking:

" It doesn't matter what school you went to or to whom you are related. It matters what you do."

It would seem this man has failed at putting his education to good use and is, sadly, following in the family footsteps.

Edited by lifeincnx

Who the hell is this guy?

He is Suthep Thaugsuban's step-son. He studied at St. Gabriel's School in Bangkok, spent some time studying in Australia, and later studied at Oxford University. He has been directly involved with the democrats since about 2009.

I am reminded of a profound quotation by Stephen Hawking:

" It doesn't matter what school you went to or to whom you are related. It matters what you do."

It would seem this man has failed at putting his education to good use and is, sadly, following in the family footsteps.

Oak, on the other hand, was too inept to cheat at school successfully ........... facepalm.gif

Actually , it was Goebbels who said that about lying but , as a dispassionate observer of Thai politics, I don't agree with it in this context. 48/75 IS a massive majority/endorsement and it CANNOT be said that she does not have a mandate. However much you might disagree with it, the voters elected this and similar govts repeatedly. It looks to me that a lot of people don't like that fact but in remains, a FACT

Wake up lads. Politicians everywhere in the world are all corrupt, why do you think they work for peanuts? Taksin was clamping down on corruption and you can't do that, which is why they ousted him.

They have stable government in the west because the media fools enough of us, here the media isn't that influential, so they play ring-a-ring-a-roses instead.

This is helping make sterling stronger anyway....and those multinationals left will hasten their departure to cheaper countries.

Buying votes is a great idea, cuts down on hypocrisy.

This is a very jaded, cynical and simplistic perception.

To say that every politician in the world is corrupt just totally discredited your post from the very first sentence, the rest of it is just fairytale rubbish from a twisted mind that resides firmly in la-la land.

My 9 year old son can come up with a more realistic and substantiated political post than this.

But of course it is a pure troll post...... not very mature or clever.

Would you explain to me how: "politicians everywhere in the world" (which does not specify that every politician is corrupt, just that everywhere has corrupt politicians), led you to "every politician in the world is corrupt

Using your son as ammunition is disgraceful. Bet, since you did it, he might be quite capable of understanding the jump in logic that you make in interpreting the protest.

What are you even arguing with here? You didn't touch the comment on vote-buying, which I think would be most controversial here and you also ignored the statement about the media. You used your own twisting of the words I cited above in my post to dismiss the argument and call the poster a troll.

Yes, sir, you, my friend, are indeed, and I mean this with absolutely NO sarcasm whatsoever, very mature and, moreover, extremely clever. Your son should be proud (see, this is why you shouldn't use your kid to dish out insults...hopefully you don't actually have one and you just used it to enhance the strength of your extremely well thought-out logic based on your nuanced reading of the poster.

I bet you think I agree with everything the poster said. I don't, I am just sick of people thinking they can label people who offer radical versions of thought as trolls....especially when they spin peoples word who are WRITTEN in print above

• Like 1

Wake up lads. Politicians everywhere in the world are all corrupt, why do you think they work for peanuts? Taksin was clamping down on corruption and you can't do that, which is why they ousted him.

They have stable government in the west because the media fools enough of us, here the media isn't that influential, so they play ring-a-ring-a-roses instead.

This is helping make sterling stronger anyway....and those multinationals left will hasten their departure to cheaper countries.

Buying votes is a great idea, cuts down on hypocrisy.

This is a very jaded, cynical and simplistic perception.

To say that every politician in the world is corrupt just totally discredited your post from the very first sentence, the rest of it is just fairytale rubbish from a twisted mind that resides firmly in la-la land.

My 9 year old son can come up with a more realistic and substantiated political post than this.

But of course it is a pure troll post...... not very mature or clever.

Would you explain to me how: "politicians everywhere in the world" (which does not specify that every politician is corrupt, just that everywhere has corrupt politicians), led you to "every politician in the world is corrupt

Using your son as ammunition is disgraceful. Bet, since you did it, he might be quite capable of understanding the jump in logic that you make in interpreting the protest.

What are you even arguing with here? You didn't touch the comment on vote-buying, which I think would be most controversial here and you also ignored the statement about the media. You used your own twisting of the words I cited above in my post to dismiss the argument and call the poster a troll.

Yes, sir, you, my friend, are indeed, and I mean this with absolutely NO sarcasm whatsoever, very mature and, moreover, extremely clever. Your son should be proud (see, this is why you shouldn't use your kid to dish out insults...hopefully you don't actually have one and you just used it to enhance the strength of your extremely well thought-out logic based on your nuanced reading of the poster.

I bet you think I agree with everything the poster said. I don't, I am just sick of people thinking they can label people who offer radical versions of thought as trolls....especially when they spin peoples word who are WRITTEN in print above

Go back to the post you are supporting apparently and read it very carefully... " Politicians everywhere in the world are all corrupt"... (my emphasis, to help you see your blunder). TT did not make any such interpretation, he used the very words of AllanB's post to which he replied.

especially when they spin peoples word who are WRITTEN in print above Ooooops!!! whistling.gif

No doubt your apology to TT will be in the post..... wai.gif

• Like 1

Why not? then they could also have a government led by a party the majority voted against.