Information on Protest Sites

Scott

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chaeng Wattana Update

Went through at 05:20 (don't ask) this morning and back at 05:50. Same as it has been for the past month. Down the back of the government centre.

Even if they do agree to go it will take all day to clear the sandbags, nets, etc

Is Silom now open to traffic from Rama IV and from Saladaeng and Convent?

I'm glad you I asked that question:

Yes, Silom now fully open: from Lumpini:

post-36039-0-83686800-1393843092_thumb.j

towards Lumpini:

post-36039-0-17402300-1393843142_thumb.j

Saladaeng from Silom:

post-36039-0-53543500-1393843188_thumb.j

The Silom/Rama IV/Ratchadamri intersection, with Ratchadamri only operating with one lane:

post-36039-0-14842200-1393843292_thumb.j

• Like 1

Chaeng Wattana Update

Wednesday 16:00 to Laksi

Just horrendous. Had the misfortune of having to make this journey by taxi as my wife had a hospital apt. The traffic is now being directed behind immigration. This seems to have made it worse during rush-hour. Took about 1 hour to get from Muang Thong Thani to Laksi.

19:00 to Muang Thong Thani

Luckily our taxi driver used his brain and went the long way around and it only took 20 minutes. The traffic jam on the main route was from outside CAT.

Is it possible to exit the tollway at Yammorat and travel across the Rama 8 bridge? If not - suggested detours? Coming onto Bkk on the Rama 9-Cheang Wattana Xpressway I need to get to Buddhamonthon.

Out of curiosity, went to the sole site, Lumpini, at noon to see the lunchtime crowd.

Pretty sparse - only about 30 real office workers (going by their attire). The rest were permanent residents of the Lumpini tent city (southerners, guards).

Also spied the Sehgal Indian guy being interviewed by the media at the back of the stage.

post-100612-0-38428000-1394097136_thumb.

Is it possible to exit the tollway at Yammorat and travel across the Rama 8 bridge? If not - suggested detours? Coming onto Bkk on the Rama 9-Cheang Wattana Xpressway I need to get to Buddhamonthon.

Yes, traffic is usually moving along that road. I will check again tomorrow.

Yep, you are still good to go!

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on protests for today? I need to get from Pinklao to Ramkamheng 1 campus. I have a car but I don't really want to use it unless I have to. Can any body help? As far as i can see the protest goes from Lumpini park to the royal plaza, but I don't now where the red shirts rally is going and that concerns me.

Edited by nellyp

Anyone know the traffic situation around Rama 4/ Silom junction area, after the return of the yellow sheeple to Lumphini?

Thanks.

Drove through it about 2 hours ago.. Fracking shiite fight!

Jagged a shortcut through Chula otherwise would have taken an hour to get from the Sarasin intersection to the Rama IV intersection...

• Like 1

Posted this elsewhere already re. Red Shirt at Aksa Road:

I just returned from a bicycle tour around Thawee Watthana

From Putthamonton Sai 3 the Aksa Road looks empty to the first "hump" apart from a large tent on the left lane up there.

On Thawee Watthana Road northbound vehicles parking right and left the last 200 meters to the Aksa Road overpass. Nothing beyond. A few redshirts getting out of their cars there, otherwise not much going on. The real action seems to be closer to Sai 4.

Sai 4 is rot dit mahk mahk. Large number of buses parking on the west side between Putthamonton Park and the ramp across Barommaratchachonnanee Rd. in rows of two and three - maybe 100, difficult to guess because riding a bike through that traffic is challenging enough. Lot of cars parking on both sides (including street vendors) up to Aksa Road, probably also beyond, but I turned around there. [...]

Traffic on Putthamonton Sai 3 normal, on Sai 4 only to Salaya, southbound it is stop and go.

Traffic on Barommaratchachonnanee Rd. as usual, occasional backlog from exit to Sai 4 direction Putthamonton.

The front section of Putthamonton Park is occupied by the redshirts.

• Like 2

Small (100 or so) protest group at the Crime Suppression Division on Phaholyothin Road.

Traffic on the Central Lat Prao side moving OK - the other side is down to 1 lane as 7 buses and assorted vehicles have parked.

All peaceful - whistles and megaphones aside,

If you are coming from Khae Rai, at Ngam Wong Wan overpass to the expressway there were a few protesters. Seemed like there were on the "lookout" for something as they all had binoculars looking towards Thaicom. If you are using the overpass, be careful as I

almost hit them cause they seemed to be hiding behind the railings and didn't see them until the last minute.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Chaeng Wattana - 22/04 - Avoid

I have just come back from Laksi and there were 100s of riot police moving in on the site. At the same time I noticed buses full of PDRC at the site and the usual convoys of pickup trucks continually arriving. I also noticed a couple of empty army trucks there too.

Might well end up like last time but even so it will make sense to avoid the area today.