Breaking News: Constitutional Court Nullifies Elections

Dario

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thaksin certainly didn't invent vote buying in Thailand, he relied on the old, well-oiled structure developed by TRT's predecessors (NAP and smaller regional parties) - just put the money in and votes come out.

What he introduced for the first time was nationwide pork-barrel policies. Where local MPs promised roads, hospitals and what not to their local constituents, Thaksin promised to the whole country, one million village funds, 30 baht scemes and debt-reduction for farmers were only the pioneers.

Why no one had done it before him? My opinion is that no one DARED to waste country resources on such scale, not that no one knew it could be done.

This, I think, was the main reason for Democrats/TRT ideological split up.

Villagers has certainly not seen any more democracy from TRT. Thaksin completely removed them from participating in any political processes and stalled governement decentralisation prescribed by the Constitution.

He just shown them they can sell their votes for a whole lot more on an election day and turned them into consumers of politics, rather than actively engaged citizens shaping their communities future.

This goes completely against HM's concept of self-reliance, never mind the Constitution.

Can Democrats win the next elections. Not yet, I think, but wtihout Thaksin TRT will have to rely on their "policies", not on his patronage. Let's see what they can come up with and deliver. Without central funding they won't have centralised policies. Local politicians paying from local bosses pockets can't promise much beyond their constituency.

TRT will carry these elections, but it will be their last.

The new election will be held within 60 days

The Constitution Court's official ruling has stated that the new election will be held within 60 days after HM the King endorsed the royal decree on the new election.

The ruling was issued after the Court nullified the April 2 election and ordered a new election.

The ruling said the new election should be held sixty days after the Royal decree on the new election is effective.

The Nation

90-120 days would be fairer

The Constitution Court's official ruling has stated that the new election will be held within 60 days after HM the King endorsed the royal decree on the new election.

The ruling was issued after the Court nullified the April 2 election and ordered a new election.

The ruling said the new election should be held sixty days after the Royal decree on the new election is effective.

The Nation

I think it depends on when the Royal decree will be endorsed by HM the King....if one takes the festivities in mind for HM the King in June...remember ....this is Thailand. Anything can happen.

LaoPo

The Nation

I think it depends on when the Royal decree will be endorsed by HM the King....if one takes the festivities in mind for HM the King in June...remember ....this is Thailand. Anything can happen.

LaoPo

According to the BKK Post "Meanwhile, Prinya Thewanaruemitkul, a law lecturer at Thammasat University, yesterday suggested a plan to free politicians from the 90-day party membership rule, allowing them to contest fresh polls under the banner of new parties.

''They can choose the voting date first, for example Aug 15, then issue a decree on June 15 so politicians meet the 90-day requirement,'' he said.

In the Constitution Court ruling, the new elections must be organised within 60 days after the decree takes effect."

As a humble visitor here in this wonderful land, are any of our opinions worth anything, maybe even a tad pedantic?

Thaksin certainly didn't invent vote buying in Thailand, he relied on the old, well-oiled structure developed by TRT's predecessors (NAP and smaller regional parties) - just put the money in and votes come out.

What he introduced for the first time was nationwide pork-barrel policies. Where local MPs promised roads, hospitals and what not to their local constituents, Thaksin promised to the whole country, one million village funds, 30 baht scemes and debt-reduction for farmers were only the pioneers.

Why no one had done it before him? My opinion is that no one DARED to waste country resources on such scale, not that no one knew it could be done.

This, I think, was the main reason for Democrats/TRT ideological split up.

Villagers has certainly not seen any more democracy from TRT. Thaksin completely removed them from participating in any political processes and stalled governement decentralisation prescribed by the Constitution.

He just shown them they can sell their votes for a whole lot more on an election day and turned them into consumers of politics, rather than actively engaged citizens shaping their communities future.

This goes completely against HM's concept of self-reliance, never mind the Constitution.

Can Democrats win the next elections. Not yet, I think, but wtihout Thaksin TRT will have to rely on their "policies", not on his patronage. Let's see what they can come up with and deliver. Without central funding they won't have centralised policies. Local politicians paying from local bosses pockets can't promise much beyond their constituency.

TRT will carry these elections, but it will be their last.

Agricultural workers represent 50% of the population in Thailand. They produce only 10% of GDP.

Sure this very poor half of the Thai population wants hospitals, roads, schools and access to debt relief the same as anyone else would. And sure they will vote for any party that offers some hope of a better life for themselves and their kids.

While I do agree that just throwing money at the rural poor in order to secure their votes is not cost effective for the country as a whole, I do in fact believe that under a democratic government no party in Thailand can afford to ignore the rural vote. Developed countries produce an equivalent amount of GDP with only a fraction of the rural labour force. The big challenge for Thailand is to make the agricultural sector more competitive on the world market and to gradually move the bulk of the 50% of population now in agriculture into more productive industries like manufacturing and tourism. That shift is not going to happen in 5 or ten years. It will be generational. But there has to be a starting point somewhere. As I have often said before, the Thai people are very adaptive and given the opportunity they will embrace change. My own niece in Issarn is studying to be an accountant . Ten or 20 years ago she would have been doomed to a life of hard work in the rice fields or perhaps a career as a prostitute in Pattaya or Phuket if the family couldn't make ends meet.

If the political parties play it right, it will be a win/win scenario for all of Thailand. But at the core of it all now that democracy has given the rural folk a voice is reform and a better deal for the poor majority. Education is the key.

I do agree that just pouring money into the rural sector in order to get votes is not the answer. Though even if governments of the future fail to recognize the potential of the rural population to benefit the Thai economy, the process of democracy will ensure that beneficial change will come about eventually as it has done in the more developed economies of the western world.

Thai agricultural sector has been bleeding manpower for decades now, the shift is not going to start somewhere in the future, it already happened, probably even before your niece was born.

Farmers are not going to increase their productivity and competitevness if all their are allowed to do is to sell their votes to the highest bidder hoping they'll get more cheap loans.

Thaksin delibirately stalled the education reform to keep them completely dependent on his mercy.

When they start thinking and speakgin out for themselves, TRT will stand no chance in any elections.

Thaksin delibirately stalled the education reform to keep them completely dependent on his mercy.

Thaksin though has introduced funding for scholarships on a massive scale for the poor, especially ones enabling them to study in foreign countries. Since i have been in Thailand i have never seen the amunt of scholarships available now for especially the poor.

Sadly that would be typical of Thaksin ... start with sgolarships for overseas study ......

while kids in country cannot afford to stay in school through the elementary years ...

but hey ... if it is your supporters <village headmen etc> that get enough education to go on to finish school and then get to use the scholarships ....

It (education reform) must start from the bottom up ... truly free education available to all!

JUDGES VS COMMISSIONERSCollision course

EC remains defiant, calls a meeting of parties, but Chat Thai says it won't go

Political tension rose yesterday after the Election Commission (EC) continued to re-fuse to quit as suggested by the three top courts - and called for a meeting of political parties on Monday to organise the new election.

The move came after the Con-

stitution Court yesterday issued a joint verdict ordering a new royal decree to organise the new general election, within 60 days of the verdict taking effect.

Chat Thai chief Banharn Silapa-archa called a meeting of his party, which decided not to attend the EC meeting even though it has vowed to contest the next general elec-

tion, deputy party leader Somsak Prissanananthakul said.

"If the EC organises a new election, the country will enter another political crisis,'' he said.

The Democrat Party will meet to decide its stance today, spokesman Ongart Klampaiboon said.

EC chairman Vasana Puemlarp had tears in his eyes and was overwhelmed when 1,000 supporters gathered and urged him to fight on.

They carried banners "Vasana and Thaksin must stay on", and "The EC is not wrong. 16 million voters want the EC to keep on working.'' The supporters were welcomed on the 10th floor of the EC's headquarters.

Downstairs, outside the EC office, a separate group of protesters called for the Election Commis-sioners to stand down.

Vasana has so far refused to go. He said on Tuesday he was "not a street dog", after a ruling by the Constitution Court on Monday that nullified the election on grounds that it violated the charter.

Vasana said yesterday he had incriminating evidence that he would later reveal on who committed wrong in the April 2 election.

"I have evidence that is not just written words but CDs, and tapes. I will play them when the time is right. The evidence is not made up. They forgot that today we have hi-technology. Who met whom, who did what and one day you will know," he said.

He challenged the Democrat Party to sue him, saying that he has both witnesses and evidence, which showed that a large party from the opposite side hired small parties to boycott the election. "If you want to sue, go ahead so we can prove the truth in the court,'' he said.

He said he had written the truth and given it to his two children to publish a book and distribute at his funeral. His supporters shouted and pleaded with him to expose the secret now.

"I cannot tell you today. Because of rules and protocols, I have to keep it secret, confidential. Today, I have been made a scapegoat but later you will know who is behind the scene,'' he said.

Vasana said he would take calls from his supporters not to resign into consideration. He regretted he had lost the integrity and honour accumulated through his work at the EC.

"Since I joined the civil service, I have never asked for interest from anyone. I never abused my power or exploited my power for personal gain. I am hurt that I am branded as thick-skinned," he said.

Suriyasai Katasila, co-ordinator of People' Alliance for Democracy warned that if the EC refused to step down, it encounter another scenario of no-votes and people tearing up ballot papers.

"The public has lost faith in the EC, thinking that it is a part of Thaksinomics," he said.

Asked why the EC commissioners were defying the courts' suggestion to quit, EC commissioner Prinya Nakchudtree said the judges' call was not a verdict, and any decision to quit was up to each commissioner.

Atthayuth Butsripoom

The Nation

Just how long can they cling to office?

Sadly that would be typical of Thaksin ... start with sgolarships for overseas study ......

while kids in country cannot afford to stay in school through the elementary years ...

but hey ... if it is your supporters <village headmen etc> that get enough education to go on to finish school and then get to use the scholarships ....

It (education reform) must start from the bottom up ... truly free education available to all!

Yes, i agree, education must be free. Unfortunately though nowadays even countries with formerly free education reverse this policy. Even "communist" China has now university fees that are so high that the poor cannot afford anymore a university education.

The scholarships nowadays available here in Thailand are not only for higher studies, bright children from the poor sectors also can take advantage of a multitude of scolarships. One 10 year old niece of mine, exceptionally bright, gets financial support.

Unfortunately those scholarships are only available to the exceptionally bright, but not to the average.

What can i say - yes, there needs to be far more done, but the scholarships available is still far better than what was there before. If the former governments would have actually done something along the lines of educational reform (and many other supports for the rural poor) instead of only talking and practically stalling - then most likely we would not have had to live under the rather opressive Thaksin regime.

My fear is that things might revert to the old status quo, because so far i have not yet heard the opposition parties presenting any practical policy to the people. I don't think that the rural poor will accept the old status quo anymore.

The BKK Post has the following breaking news...could this be the end?

Source: Panel to urge EC to charge Thaksin

PRADIT RUANGDIT

The fate of Thai Rak Thai hangs in the balance after an Election Commission panel looking into the party's alleged bankrolling of small parties recommended criminal charges against its leader Thaksin Shinawatra. According to a source close to the matter, the investigating panel, chaired by Nam Yimyaem, has found that two Thai Rak Thai executives implicated in the backroom-dealing did it on the party's behalf, not as individuals.

''The committee members voted unanimously to recommend that the Election Commission file charges against Mr Thaksin so that further investigations can be conducted,'' said the source, quoting the report submitted to the EC on May 4.

The fresh findings are the result of a follow-up into earlier investigations that saw two small parties _ Pattana Chart Thai and Thai Ground _ disbanded.

The allegations were made by Democrat secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban.

Both parties were found to have been hired by a big party to contest the April 2 poll to help Thai Rak Thai candidates running unopposed evade the rule for single candidates to win 20% of the vote.

The Pattana Chart Thai party fielded six candidates on the party list and 21 in constituencies.

The Thai Ground party fielded six candidates in the party list and 124 in the constituency system. None of the candidates were qualified to run because they did not meet the 90-day party membership rule.

According to the source, a total of 15 people, including the two Thai Rak Thai executives, a deputy party leader and a deputy party secretary-general, were found to have violated election law and falsified electoral documents.

The Thai Rak Thai executives were found to have supported the tampering of data to make it appear that applicants from Pattana Chart Thai had met the requirement of being party members for 90 days. They were also found to have given money to Pattana Chart Thai and Thai Ground so that they could field candidates to compete with Thai Rak Thai.

The initial findings also found that the Pattana Chart Thai party had bribed election official Amornwit Suwanpa, who was in charge of the electronic database, to manipulate data so that party members appeared qualified to run.

According to the report, the deputy party leader was found to have abused his authority, giving money to both small parties to field candidates. He was also found to have replaced existing members with new ones.

''The deputy leader in question is guilty of supporting unqualified people to run in the elections under article 100 of the 1998 Election Law and guilty of asking others to falsify documents under articles 264, 268 and 84 of the criminal codes,'' said the report.

The deputy secretary-general has been found guilty of abusing his power. He visited the election centre of the Thai Ground party located in Soi Intamara 43 to plan and assist the ''well-known'' deputy party leader in the bankrolling.

''This deputy secretary-general was there during the discussion to alter the information on the candidates who had joined the party for less than 90 days. He is considered to have collaborated, instigated, supported or encouraged an illegal activity,'' said the report.

Three other persons named as intermediaries between Thai Rak Thai, Pattana Chart Thai and Thai Ground were found guilty of supporting individuals they knew were unqualified to run in the poll.

The probe committee cleared Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan and Sita Dhivari of wrongdoing, saying the evidence was weak.

EC chairman Wassana Permlarp told reporters the investigation into allegations against Mr Thaksin was not yet conclusive since the committee had not yet forwarded the findings to the Election Commission.

"I have evidence that is not just written words but CDs, and tapes. I will play them when the time is right. The evidence is not made up. They forgot that today we have hi-technology. Who met whom, who did what and one day you will know," he said.

He challenged the Democrat Party to sue him, saying that he has both witnesses and evidence, which showed that a large party from the opposite side hired small parties to boycott the election. "If you want to sue, go ahead so we can prove the truth in the court,'' he said.

AND

PRADIT RUANGDIT

The fate of Thai Rak Thai hangs in the balance after an Election Commission panel looking into the party's alleged bankrolling of small parties recommended criminal charges against its leader Thaksin Shinawatra. According to a source close to the matter, the investigating panel, chaired by Nam Yimyaem, has found that two Thai Rak Thai executives implicated in the backroom-dealing did it on the party's behalf, not as individuals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The plot thickens.

JUDGES VS COMMISSIONERS

EC remains defiant, calls a meeting of parties, but Chat Thai says it won't go

EC chairman Vasana Puemlarp had tears in his eyes and was overwhelmed when 1,000 supporters gathered and urged him to fight on.

They carried banners "Vasana and Thaksin must stay on", and "The EC is not wrong. 16 million voters want the EC to keep on working.'' The supporters were welcomed on the 10th floor of the EC's headquarters.

These people, partisans and EC members (welcoming supporters on the 10th floor...), clearly seem to think they are above the courts. :o

Living in a state of denial, just like Thaksin.

Until they come with some documentary evidence or have someone who will swear in court that Thaksin ordered the bribes, I think they will have a hard time gaining a conviction on the man himself. Its standard procedure through out the world for political leaders to use their cronies to do the dirty work.

It will be interesting to see if Vasana has the goods to back up his claims.

The sideshow continues.

Edited by ando

An extract from todays "The Nation"

Full article here-- http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/05/11/opi...on_30003741.php

Still pretty anti-Thaksin in flavour but at least verging on common sense.

"Who's setting the stage for the formation of a broad-based panel to overhaul the Constitution? How do we ensure that the so-called political reform won't just cover amending a few clauses that were the concerns of some electioneers? How do we permanently and systematically implant participatory democracy all the way from the grass-roots level to the top? How do we set in motion the creation of a civil society that will maintain a proper system of checks and balances on political parties?

It's time for those who overwhelmingly cast a protest vote on April 2 to get down to work on the real issues. The ongoing fuss over procedural issues, over when and how the new election is to be held, is nothing but political pushing and shoving. And if you ask the really tough questions, you will discover that political posturing, after all, is the real threat to genuine democracy."

Suthichai Yoon

Vasana said yesterday he had incriminating evidence that he would later reveal on who committed wrong in the April 2 election.

So , only now, you are saying that you have incriminating evidence but will now use it for your own purposes, not when it was time in order to have a fair election? :D

You have just showed how totally incompetent you are you circus clown. :o

Better take the court's advice while it's time.

So , only now, you are saying that you have incriminating evidence but will now use it for your own purposes, not when it was time in order to have a fair election? :D

You have just showed how totally incompetent you are you circus clown. :o

Better take the court's advice while it's time.

Have to agree that Vasana could be shooting himself in the foot if he has evidence of improper electoral activity and did not act on it when that was in fact his role. Politics is said to be a dirty business in any country and I suspect even more so in Thailand. Perhaps Vasana thought he could stay ahead of the game by accumulating dirt on those who could later injure him? If his claims are true maybe he will spill the beans on BOTH sides and go out in a blaze of glory. Or perhaps his post-homos biography will be published sooner than we think.

What a dispicable individual this Vassana is turning out to be, surely not acting on evidence is a crime, and using the evidence to further his own cause is truly wrong, he should be locked up!

:o

Its time now for the Democrats and PAD to call on Vasana to make his evidence public in an effort to rid Thailand of official corruption. :o

I wont be holding my breath though. I think they would much prefer he just resigned and went away quietly.

Thaksin though has introduced funding for scholarships on a massive scale for the poor, especially ones enabling them to study in foreign countries. Since i have been in Thailand i have never seen the amunt of scholarships available now for especially the poor.

Additionally, in typical Thaksin style, the program was not well thought-out beforehand. No one had any inkling that there might be a problem with transporting rural Thai students into modern, urban European schools and the resultant difficulties in adjusting.... That was just stupid of them not to anticipate the need to address this issue, that is until one of the students committed suicide :o

STUDYING ABROAD:

Students find Germany challenging

Published on July 20, 2005

Needy scholarship recipients fight loneliness, criticism

Scholarship recipients from rural Thailand are overcoming the obstacles of living and studying abroad. Most of the students had never travelled by plane, and they had certainly never lived abroad. Homesickness sunk in at first, and many of them cried - often. Despite that, they have been loath to pack up and leave their once-in-a-lifetime chance behind.

They are studying on scholarships in the German capital under the aegis of the “One District, One Scholarship” (ODOS) Thai government programme.

“It was my dream to come here. It’s very hard to get a scholarship to study abroad,” explained Namfon Sornboon-choo, 19, a scholarship student from Buri Ram. “People at home would insult me if I returned before graduation.”

Namfon confessed she had indeed flirted with the idea of returning home. Her mother in Thailand urged her to stay put and concentrate on her studies, which would lay the educational foundation for a brighter future.

But not all is gloom and doom in Berlin, Namfon conceded. “My life here is better than it would be in Thailand,” she said. “I have more money and freedom. I also have a lot of exposure to the outside world.”

Yet she added that she had been disheartened by speculation she read on many websites that many ODOS scholarship winners were not qualified enough for overseas studies.

The scholarship programme was designed to enable one student from a low-income family in each district to study overseas. In Thailand there’s been talk that some of the students may have been selected because of family connections. Doubts have also been voiced as to whether many of these students who come from rural communities can effectively cope with linguistic and cultural barriers.

Criticism especially intensified after Natchanon Mekee, a 17-year-old from Kamphaeng Phet, who was studying in Mannheim, jumped to her death out of the window of a hospital. Homesickness and intense stress are believed to have driven her to suicide.

Edited by sriracha john

post-9005-1147337083.jpg

Angry supporters of the Election Commission tear down a tent set up by demonstrators campaigning for the ouster of the four poll commissioners yesterday. The demonstrators had been camping outside the commission's head office on Rama I road in Phaya Thai.

==============================================================

Court releases historic poll verdict

The Constitution Court yesterday officially released its 54-page verdict that invalidates the April 2 snap election and suggests a new general election be held within 60 days of a new royal decree calling fresh polls taking effect. The court's ruling passed on Monday has increased the pressure for the Election Commission members to show responsibility for the bungled elections and resign. However, there were still no signs yesterday that any of the four poll commissioners were prepared to step down.

According to a source at the court, the the 60-day timeframe set by the court would start from the day a new royal decree calling fresh elections comes into effect, rather than the day the court passed its ruling. This is to avoid a possible deadlock in case the poll commissioners decide to resign.

Despite a rising chorus for the poll commissioners to ''make sacrifices'' and leave to make way for a new batch of court-appointed commissioners to come in and oversee the next general election, none of the incumbents showed any sign yesterday that they were ready to bow out from their positions.

At the EC headquarters yesterday, commission chairman Wassana Permlarp told a gathering of supporters that he would not resign.

He merely said he would consider all options, study the Constitution Court's verdict thoroughly and talk with the three other commissioners.

He complained the EC had been made a scapegoat in the current political turmoil.

Commissioner Prinya Nakchatree, told reporters that the EC was trying to set the date for a new general election.

The EC has invited the leaders of all 33 political parties, as well as the secretaries-general of the Constitution Court and the caretaker cabinet to a meeting on Monday.

''The meeting will discuss the date of the new election to be proposed to the government. We want to hear comments from all political parties,'' he said.

Mr Prinya insisted that setting the election date was more urgent than the question of who should supervise the election and who else should be involved in the process.

The meeting would not discuss the suggestion by the presidents of the country's three top courts that the poll commissioners resign to pay the way for a smooth election process.

He said the commissioners would have to discuss the suggestion with the court judges in person.

Meanwhile, a Supreme Court judge yesterday withdrew himself as a nominee to replace poll commissioner Charan Buranapantasri who died last year.

Judge Kasem Geerawong informed Supreme Court president Charnchai Likitchitta of his decision in writing.

The judge said that under the present circumstances, it was best that he withdrew to allow the court to select a whole new team of poll commissioners.

He said his withdrawal was not meant to exert pressure on the incumbent commissioners.

- BP

=============================================================

post-9005-1147337430.jpg

A singha statue with a marble in its mouth stands at the entrance to the Thai Rak Thai party's headquarters on Phetchaburi road.

Singhas to refresh ailing TRT party

Thai Rak Thai has again resorted to the ancient Chinese practice of feng shui to ward off bad luck, in the face of a run of unfavourable events. A pair of statues of singha, a mythical animal, were installed at the entrance of the party's headquarters on Phetchaburi road yesterday.

They are supposed to improve the party's waning fortunes according to feng shui, the traditional Chinese study of harmony with nature based on the principles of I Ching.

An astrologer, Pinyo Pongcharoen, said the chart of the destiny of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra indicated that his credibility had taken a battering.

His popularity seemed to have reached its nadir. Bringing in the pair of singha statues was the right antidote, according to the astrologer.

The party also changed the backdrop used at its press conferences, which now shows a picture of Mr Thaksin and the message: ''Thank you all for every one of your votes, which saved democracy so that our country can move forward.''

The new backdrop depicts Mr Thaksin in a white jacket giving a wai with a message reading: ''We are willing to embrace all political obstacles with a smile. We are determined to soldier on and solve all the problems for the good of the country.''

Did DTAC Smile allow their trademark to be used by the ex-AIS owner? :o

On March 22, the party rearranged the interior of its headquarters according to the principles of feng shui. It also installed a new spirit house in the driveway, put up under the close supervision of the prime minister's wife Khunying Potjaman.

Two days later, a tile unexpectedly fell off the outside wall of the headquarters and smashed into pieces near the spirit house.

Sources said the incident drew much speculation that the party and its leader were about to be drawn into a political mess.

Earlier, the prime minister rode on an elephant during an election campaign in Surin province on March 14. He really needs that magical elephant wand now, eh?... :D

It was believed that riding an elephant, an auspicious animal in Thailand, would ward off bad luck and shield him from danger.

- BP

===========================================================

Re-energised Thaksin coy about future

Thai Rak Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra said yesterday he had built up a lot of surplus energy during his one-month sabbatical from leading the country.

However, he remained non-committal on his political future, declining to disclose whether he would contest the next general election or whether he would make a comeback as prime minister.

"I have a lot of energy now that needs to be burnt. So I go golfing and enter the gym quite often these days," Thaksin said. He added, "and a good soapy massage (mentioned in photograph earlier in this thread) is always a good way to get rid of of this built up surplus energy"

"I'm getting used to being redundant."

OMG!!!.... I can't write funnier than the true statements emerging from this moron's mouth...

He said he would later discuss his political future with other party executives.

When asked whether he would lead the Thai Rak Thai election campaign in the next polls, Thaksin insisted he would still perform his duty as the party leader.

He said he would certainly address the audience at party campaign rallies.

"I will sing a song at the first rally. The song is newly composed and the lyrics are about politics," he told reporters at the Thai Rak Thai headquarters.

OH JOY~~~.... Thaksin Karoke!!... What a thrilling experience that will be... We all eagerly await!

Does he sing requests??? How about a few choruses of "Square Head Man?? :D

Thaksin, who officially is the caretaker prime minister, has relegated his duties to his deputy, Chidchai Vanasatidya, in the wake of mounting calls for him to take a break from politics.

Yesterday morning, he greeted reporters with a smile as they waited outside his house on Charan Sanitwong Road. He left for the Thai Rak Thai headquarters at about 9.30am. He said his life today reminded him of an officer friend of his who left his house every morning pretending to go to work even though he had no particular responsibilities.

Instead he went off to his mia noi... in Thaksin's case.... it's off for a nice soapy at a

formerly Chuwit-owned parlor of fanciful massage...

At the TRT head office yesterday, two sculptures of the mythical creature singha were placed at the building's entrance, reportedly to correct Thaksin's astrological weaknesses.

Party workers who placed the statues said they acted on the orders of "party seniors". However, Thaksin told reporters he had no knowledge why the statues were placed there and what they were for.

Adding, "I have my magical elephant wand... so there's no need for additional incantations."

- TN

Edited by sriracha john

Additionally, in typical Thaksin style, the program was not well thought-out beforehand. No one had any inkling that there might be a problem with transporting rural Thai students into modern, urban European schools and the resultant difficulties in adjusting.... That was just stupid of them not to anticipate the need to address this issue, that is until one of the students committed suicide :o

STUDYING ABROAD:

Students find Germany challenging

Published on July 20, 2005

Needy scholarship recipients fight loneliness, criticism

Scholarship recipients from rural Thailand are overcoming the obstacles of living and studying abroad. Most of the students had never travelled by plane, and they had certainly never lived abroad. Homesickness sunk in at first, and many of them cried - often. Despite that, they have been loath to pack up and leave their once-in-a-lifetime chance behind.

They are studying on scholarships in the German capital under the aegis of the “One District, One Scholarship” (ODOS) Thai government programme.

“It was my dream to come here. It’s very hard to get a scholarship to study abroad,” explained Namfon Sornboon-choo, 19, a scholarship student from Buri Ram. “People at home would insult me if I returned before graduation.”

Namfon confessed she had indeed flirted with the idea of returning home. Her mother in Thailand urged her to stay put and concentrate on her studies, which would lay the educational foundation for a brighter future.

But not all is gloom and doom in Berlin, Namfon conceded. “My life here is better than it would be in Thailand,” she said. “I have more money and freedom. I also have a lot of exposure to the outside world.”

Yet she added that she had been disheartened by speculation she read on many websites that many ODOS scholarship winners were not qualified enough for overseas studies.

The scholarship programme was designed to enable one student from a low-income family in each district to study overseas. In Thailand there’s been talk that some of the students may have been selected because of family connections. Doubts have also been voiced as to whether many of these students who come from rural communities can effectively cope with linguistic and cultural barriers.

Criticism especially intensified after Natchanon Mekee, a 17-year-old from Kamphaeng Phet, who was studying in Mannheim, jumped to her death out of the window of a hospital. Homesickness and intense stress are believed to have driven her to suicide.

Having helped a few kids here with English and maths, the one frightening revelation was the kids never answer back, teachers should they chose to call black as really white, would be accepted as God-given. Yes education must really start changing from the bottom up.....not a few overseas scholarships.

One suicide does not mean that the whole program is faulty. There is always a certain risk while going abroad, but what better education is than than having a look at the outside world?

Anyhow, a student i know right now made the test of being sent overseas. She will be able to return if she cannot adjust. She has already studied on a government scholarship here in Thailand, and can also choose not to go abroad but continue her studies in a top university here in Thailand.

This does not mean that this is the answer to Thailand's many problems in the education sythem, but whatever you may feel about Thaksin - giving rural students from poor families the option to study abroad is one step forward. In addition to that exceptionally bright children from poor rural families are supported financially, sent to different Changwats on excursions. A ten year old niece of mine has that sort of scolarship and support.

Those students sent abroad on government scholarships do have to, after their graduation, work for a certain time for the government, and that way will be the ones who might finally be able to implement the necessary and long overdue changes in Thailand.

I don't understand you people - on the one hand you complain that Thais are stuck in their villages having no idea about a working democracy, but when given the chance to go abroad to learn exactly that, you complain again that they are maybe not ready to be exposed to foreign countries.

post-9005-1147337083.jpg

Angry supporters of the Election Commission tear down a tent set up by demonstrators campaigning for the ouster of the four poll commissioners yesterday. The demonstrators had been camping outside the commission's head office on Rama I road in Phaya Thai.

I wonder how much these supporters cost?

One suicide does not mean that the whole program is faulty. There is always a certain risk while going abroad, but what better education is than than having a look at the outside world?

Anyhow, a student i know right now made the test of being sent overseas. She will be able to return if she cannot adjust. She has already studied on a government scholarship here in Thailand, and can also choose not to go abroad but continue her studies in a top university here in Thailand.

This does not mean that this is the answer to Thailand's many problems in the education sythem, but whatever you may feel about Thaksin - giving rural students from poor families the option to study abroad is one step forward. In addition to that exceptionally bright children from poor rural families are supported financially, sent to different Changwats on excursions. A ten year old niece of mine has that sort of scolarship and support.

Those students sent abroad on government scholarships do have to, after their graduation, work for a certain time for the government, and that way will be the ones who might finally be able to implement the necessary and long overdue changes in Thailand.

I don't understand you people - on the one hand you complain that Thais are stuck in their villages having no idea about a working democracy, but when given the chance to go abroad to learn exactly that, you complain again that they are maybe not ready to be exposed to foreign countries.

Having no foresight to anticipate a need to pre-brief students on the adjustments they will have to make shows the entire program WAS absolutely faulty. To send them off without proper resources for counselling and screening, it was a disaster waiting to happen due to the level of stress they were thrown into. The suicide merely reflected the extreme to what should have been expected when faced with this type of new life for students that had no prior exposure. It shows that true educational experts were not involved in the planning of the program and that the program was hastily pasted together... a trait of most Thaksin's programs.

As with many of his programs, the motivations and goals of the program are indeed worthy, but the manner in which they are implemented is so poorly done, that disasters result. It's all about

catch-phrase this, *One tambon, One scholarhip*... and populist that, *Universal health care for all*

More effort and expense seems to be put into the marketing and hype of the programs themselves rather than having true professionals in the respective fields carefully plan them out thoughtfully.

I, for one, am not complaining they aren't ready for overseas exposure... far from it. The experience can certainly be life-changing. What I am saying is that without thinking things through... it's better not to do these programs in the first place.

No program is better than a half-a$$ program.... errr... make that a one-tenth a$$ program.

Edited by sriracha john

EC panel recommend charges against Thaksin

An investigative panel has recommended the Election Commission to charge outgoing Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra for contracting small parties to contest the April 2 vote, an offence punishable by the dissolution of his Thai Rak Thai Party.

The panel's report was submitted to EC chairman Vasana Puemlarp on Monday and seen by The Nation Thursday.

By an unanimous decision, the panel concluded that the ruling party was involved in the campaign fraud deemed detrimental to democracy and the national security both.

The report was prepared by panel chairman Nam Yimyaem, retired vice president of the Supreme Court who was handpicked by Vasana to get to the bottom of the matter.

Vasana appointed the Nam Yimyaem panel last month to look into a complaint against the ruling party filed by Democrat Party secretary general Suthep Thuagsuban.

In his report, Nam said his investigation focused on two key questions - whether the ruling party had paid candidates from small parties to contest the polls and the number of culprits involved.

On the first question, the ruling party was accused of contracting small parties in order to avoid running an unopposed race which would require a minimum support from 20 per cent of eligible voters to validate the balloting outcome.

Based evidence, the panel found that two small parties, Thai Ground and Pattana Chat Thai, had insufficient funds to finance their candidates.

Chawakan Tosawat, candidate from Pattana Chat Thai, gave his statement detailing the financial link between his party and the ruling party.

The panel later uncovered evidence to substantiate the Chawakan statement.

Ratima Phawasri, party-list candidate from Thai Ground, testified about the funding from the ruling party. She also submitted financial records to back up her statement.

Even though she later retracted her statement, her signatures on the financial records remain the physical evidence to implicate her.

Her party leader Boonitthiphol Chinrat confirmed that his party was not in the financial position to fund its candidates.

In regard to culprits involved, the panel found that a total of 140 candidates from the two small parties had filed false records for party membership in order to qualify for the race.

It singled out two Thai Rak Thai executives, Thamarak Isarangura and Pongsak Ruktapongpisal, as masterminds in the funding of small parties.

"The campaign violations committed by the two executives have benefitted their ruling party helping it to cling to the state power via means not sanctioned by the Constitution," it said.

The violations have also undermined the national security and constituted a number of offences as per the Criminal Code and the election law, it added.

Two senior military officers, General Trairong Intharathat and Lt General Padungsak Klingsanoh, were implicated in the violations in their capacity as aides to Thamarak, who is also the defence minister.

The panel recommended for the legal proceedings against Thaksin on grounds that he be held accountable for his party's involvement in the campaign violations.

Nation