My Options as A Farang woman marrying a Thai Guy

snowpea83

Post discussing moderation removed. If you have questions regarding moderation please PM a mod but do not hijack the thread, thanks. Its not about moderation its about the OP's visa options, thanks

There is an option to apply for permanent residency or citizenship a few years down the line, but I have never felt the need - although it's cheap and easy for natives of other Asian countries, it's extremely expensive and time-consuming for Westerners. The once-a-year extensions are easy.

Just to correct you.

There is no requirement for a married person to apply or obtain PR. (PR first was removed in 2008)

The application fee for citizenship is 5,000bht. Hardly expensive.

It is NOT true that Asians have an easier time getting Thai citizenship than westerners. Only from a societal standpoint will they not stand out as much, but as far as immigration law is concerned, basically citizenship depends on how much of a contribution the applicant has made towards Thai society. For all intents and purposes, migrant workers from such countries as Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia are effectively barred from Thai citizenship as Thailand generally prefers educated, high tax paying individuals as citizens than poor, uneducated people from these 3 countries. Even after 20 years of working in the Kingdom speaking almost fluent Thai, a Myanmar migrant worker would not be eligible for citizenship of Thailand. Westerners on the other hand can gain citizenship after only a few years provided tax receipts to a certain amount are provided as well as other eligibility requirements are met - it's even easier if marriage to a Thai national is made first. More detailed requirements on eligibility and documents required are available by searching this forum or other sources.

I've removed yet more post of no benefit to the ops question.

No one cares if your wifes ex thai husband was no good, my mum married an english man who drank, took drugs, cheated & never sent any money. Maybe your wife should have avoided a western man because of it. Really. It's laughable how tiny minded some of you are.

The op didn't ask for relationship advice so go spout your views down the pub where someone might give some poos for your opinion.

"It's laughable how tiny minded some of you are."

As in "thinking with the small head"

Bravo

WOW!

Didn't see that coming! I put my original post in the ladies forum for a reason, but I guess there's just no avoiding some types of people......

Thanks Boo for your great moderation! And thanks to people like Lucie for their well informed and kind responses. It definitely seems an extension based on marriage is the way to go.

And just for all the haters out there, YES I speak Thai and my partner English, YES I can read and write Thai (albeit quite slowly), YES I am a well educated women who in no way is running from anything, my partner is also highly educated, and YES YES YES my partner is supportive, patient and dam_n good looking! tongue.png

Sophie

Go for it Sophie ! All the best to you.

It may also be easier to change employer/work permits once your extension of stay is completely separate from your work permit. You will gain flexibility and independence this way. You can tell any prospective employer that you already have an extension and they need only apply for the work permit. This might make you attractive I think.

Also if you are married I believe the ratio of 1 farang to 4 Thai employees is reduced by half. Likewise for registered capital in the business sponsoring you, 1 million instead of two mil. for people in the category of "married to Thai national" such as yourself. (If this is untrue, somebody PM me and I'll edit this post).

Get the visa based on marriage and the try to get citizenship as fast as possible. The visa is only valid during the existence of the marriage. If there is a divorce, then she will lose her marriage visa. If her husband in the unfortunate event "passes away" she will be widow and will be in need of a new visa because the non O is void because the marriage no longer exists.

As a backup plan, if my wife was to pass away, I keep 800,000 baht in a bank account here in Thailand which I would use to switch over to a retirement visa. Most marriages the woman will out live the husband so she should also be looking at other visa options if the marriage no longer exists.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having done both (sponsored work visa for 4 years, then a non-O) I would say it doesn't really matter unless you want to stay in Thailand long-term, and then the marriage option is probably easier - as others have pointed out, it gives you options down the track for citizenship etc.

And ignore the naysayers. There are plenty of us with brilliant Thai hubbies :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've removed yet more post of no benefit to the ops question.

No one cares if your wifes ex thai husband was no good, my mum married an english man who drank, took drugs, cheated & never sent any money. Maybe your wife should have avoided a western man because of it. Really. It's laughable how tiny minded some of you are.

The op didn't ask for relationship advice so go spout your views down the pub where someone might give some poos for your opinion.

Marrying a Thai man makes one eligible for a residence visa. There is a process that needs to be followed and Immigration are helpful. On the other hand I know many farang women who take up a role of 'volunteer' with NGOs and get a volunteer-visa. It means doing volunteer work 2 or 3 days a week or flexi hours during the week. A nice way to support a community/cause, learn Thai, meet people and have flexi-time for home & kids. Its something to consider.

To the OP - Good luck with whoever you marry Thai or farang. Maybe you can share your experiences on another thread sometime in the future. I'd love to read it all - the good, bad and ugly !!

Edited by sbk
discussion of moderation is not allowed

As a male with a non-o, if you can meet the requirements for a non-o it is worth the trouble to obtain it. If you are working and you have problems with your job, you don't have to worry about making a visa run within the 7 days of termination. I have had employers think they have leverage over me because I had a non-b and the first thing they say is you need to leave the country. A bit intimidating when you hear it because the first thing you think of is leaving the country is permanent. You do have to leave the country but only to obtain another visa. My point is, if you are working, there is always the possibility of being terminated without notice and you have have to make that quick visa run. If you have the non-o you don't have to worry about your visa. Also, if you quit working for whatever reason you don't have to think about your visa. A little more consistency in a non-consistent world. The less stress the better.

Edited by expat888

• 1 year later...