British ambassador Kent expresses concerns over rising political tension

webfact

UK Ambassador Cautions Thais Against Confrontation

By Khaosod Online

BANGKOK: -- The British Ambassador to Thailand, Mr. Mark Kent, has expressed his concerns over the political unrest during his visit to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday.

According to Mr. Teerat Rattanasevi, Prime Minister Office Spokesman, Mr. Kent had discussed with Ms. Yingluck about the current political situation in the country after the protest had occupied many administrative headquarters throughout Bangkok.

“The British Ambassador said he wishes to see the negotiation between the government and the anti-government protesters. He also stated that Britain support political protests as a feature of democratic nation, but they must be within the boundary of the laws," the government spokesman said.

Mr. Teerat added that "Mr. Kent disagreed with the occupying of government administrative offices, at which point the Prime Minister assured him that the Thai government will not use force against the protesters".

"The Prime Minister also wishes to see the negotiation to avoid the confrontation between two sides, which is very well agreed by the British Ambassador," said Mr. Teerat.

During the discussion, the Prime Minister reportedly insisted to Mr. Kent that many government offices can still operate properly, despite the occupation.

However, according to Mr. Teerat, Ms. Yingluck replied to Mr. Kent′s question regarding the two-trillion baht infrastructure development scheme that the government may have to delay its proposal at this time.

The United Kingdom is not the only nation expressing its concerns over the ongoing crisis, as the United States, the United Nations and China have previously sent letters to the Prime Minister asking for negotiations between the Government and the protesters.

However, anti-government protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban has rejected any chance of negotiation with the government.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE5UYzNOelEyTUE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-11-30

He best check to see if his wallet is there. Why can not the two of them look at each other when they shake hands?

The British ambassador also showed concern over the future of the planned 2-trillion-baht infrastructure projects. Prime Minister Yingluck told him that the decision lies with the Constitutional Court which is set to rule whether the loan bill conflicts with the charter.

Why is it up to the constitutional court to decide if Thailand wastes 2,2 trillion Baht?

Why did Parliament even consider it. I am not saying that Thailand could not put that much money to purposeful uses but let's face it that is not what it is intended to do. When it is all spent Thailand will not be any better than it is now. The poor will still be poor the cost of living will still be going up they will have trains that can not pay there way. They will have a substandard railroad when it come s to safety concerns and last but not least 52 years of debt to pass on to are great grandchildren.

Plus they will however have a lot more rich politicians and bureaucrats plus contractors

Yes it is right for the Ambassador and the Ambassador's of all countries to ttake interest in what is happening in this country just as it is of interest to Yingluck what they think. Alone we might not make much difference on the economy but when you put all the expats from other countries and the tourists together there is a huge impact on the economy.

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another useless turd that I'm forced to pay for through my taxes. There were so many useful aspects he could of touched on such as the issues expats here face; no the wet decided to laud the virtues of tourist coming and being fleeced.

Where do the British Gov find these morons - old schoolboy network.

Why do I get the feeling that Kent, whose profile is usually so low it's subterranean, has had his collar felt?

Maybe Cameron's worried that when the downtrodden Brits see what mass public protest against unpopular government's unpopular policies can achieve they will decide to get off their docile backsides and start marching, too.

(In my dreams).

• Like 2

I think this is the powerless meeting the powerless, She doesn't have to power to control what is happening and he doesn't have the power to get anything for anyone!

Used to give some kind of legitimacy to a failed government!

• Like 1

UK Ambassador Cautions Thais Against Confrontation

By Khaosod Online

BANGKOK: -- The British Ambassador to Thailand, Mr. Mark Kent, has expressed his concerns over the political unrest during his visit to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday.

According to Mr. Teerat Rattanasevi, Prime Minister Office Spokesman, Mr. Kent had discussed with Ms. Yingluck about the current political situation in the country after the protest had occupied many administrative headquarters throughout Bangkok.

The British Ambassador said he wishes to see the negotiation between the government and the anti-government protesters. He also stated that Britain support political protests as a feature of democratic nation, but they must be within the boundary of the laws," the government spokesman said.

Mr. Teerat added that "Mr. Kent disagreed with the occupying of government administrative offices, at which point the Prime Minister assured him that the Thai government will not use force against the protesters".

"The Prime Minister also wishes to see the negotiation to avoid the confrontation between two sides, which is very well agreed by the British Ambassador," said Mr. Teerat.

During the discussion, the Prime Minister reportedly insisted to Mr. Kent that many government offices can still operate properly, despite the occupation.

However, according to Mr. Teerat, Ms. Yingluck replied to Mr. Kent′s question regarding the two-trillion baht infrastructure development scheme that the government may have to delay its proposal at this time.

The United Kingdom is not the only nation expressing its concerns over the ongoing crisis, as the United States, the United Nations and China have previously sent letters to the Prime Minister asking for negotiations between the Government and the protesters.

However, anti-government protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban has rejected any chance of negotiation with the government.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE5UYzNOelEyTUE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-11-30

He best check to see if his wallet is there. Why can not the two of them look at each other when they shake hands?

The British ambassador also showed concern over the future of the planned 2-trillion-baht infrastructure projects. Prime Minister Yingluck told him that the decision lies with the Constitutional Court which is set to rule whether the loan bill conflicts with the charter.

Why is it up to the constitutional court to decide if Thailand wastes 2,2 trillion Baht?

Why did Parliament even consider it. I am not saying that Thailand could not put that much money to purposeful uses but let's face it that is not what it is intended to do. When it is all spent Thailand will not be any better than it is now. The poor will still be poor the cost of living will still be going up they will have trains that can not pay there way. They will have a substandard railroad when it come s to safety concerns and last but not least 52 years of debt to pass on to are great grandchildren.

Plus they will however have a lot more rich politicians and bureaucrats plus contractors

Yes it is right for the Ambassador and the Ambassador's of all countries to ttake interest in what is happening in this country just as it is of interest to Yingluck what they think. Alone we might not make much difference on the economy but when you put all the expats from other countries and the tourists together there is a huge impact on the economy.

And it's standard to 'cheese' at the camera, not look at each other.

He's got quite a lot to say about this issue recently.

Mr Kent also echoed UN Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon’s statement haha both of this BS chiefs should go home and mind their own business. Mentioning respect and politicians in one sentence is a travesty

Why do I get the feeling that Kent, whose profile is usually so low it's subterranean, has had his collar felt?

Maybe Cameron's worried that when the downtrodden Brits see what mass public protest against unpopular government's unpopular policies can achieve they will decide to get off their docile backsides and start marching, too.

(In my dreams).

Hahaha u folks can wait together with the Yankees until the Muslims show you how to do it (protest etc)

"Dear prime minister, I know that you have a lot on your mind; multiple factions loosely aligned to bring down your government, a group of thugs waiting for the opportunity for a street fight 'on your behalf', a censure debate, an economy spluttering under the weight of corruption and mis-management, but I'd like to bring to you attention the needs of our expat community here which we unselfishly feel are more important."

- News flash: Pseudo Ambassador Suffinator was returned to London in the diplomatic bag today after making a fool of himself in public...

Just another useless turd that I'm forced to pay for through my taxes. There were so many useful aspects he could of touched on such as the issues expats here face; no the wet decided to laud the virtues of tourist coming and being fleeced.

Where do the British Gov find these morons - old schoolboy network.

"Democracy" is ok until the poor sods who vote decide to vote for the 'wrong" party. Best recent example being Egypt. No matter what you and I may think of the Brotherhood of Islam (or whatever they are called) , the fact remains that they were voted in as much as a British party gets a mandate to govern, or an American president. (I seem to recall that only about 49% of the American voters turned out to elect Reagan first time around, which means he was elected by about 26% of the people)

So in Thailand, whatever you may think of the Shinawatras, they won the election (don't talk about vote-fixing, cos our good man George Dubya cheated his way into the White House, to name only one corrupt Western politician. Shall we talk about Tony Bliar, war criminal?)).

Time to oust them out at the next election, unless you want to start a revolution that truly changes the country, a la China or Vietnam.

So your idea of democracy is the permission for ordinary citizens to express their wishes every 4 years and then sit back and idly watch the "chosen ones" to run the country into ruin until the next "graciously offered permission" to voice their opinion?

• Like 1

I would suggest that the Ambassador looks towards his own country, which also happens to be mine. I am surprised that the British public have not taken to the streets to protest at the way its citizens are being treated as third class citizens. I would also suggest that he points out to Her Majesty's Government the deep resentment of British pensioners who are existing here on frozen pensions, when expats in certain other countries do not have their pensions frozen. This inequality is happening while thousands of people in the UK, who have contributed nothing to the country, are receiving massive handouts. The political disruption here hardly affects the expats one iota. but the dismissive attitude of the British Government does. I suppose we old codgers are deemed superfluous now we cannot vote and are now not important enough to be wooed.

Ron Martin

• Like 2

This has all the hallmarks of one of Taksins moves, rope in foreign countries, create a smokescreen, remember Taksins embarrassing rush to the UK following the 2006 coup, Blair gave him 15 mins and packed him off with nothing to show, not even a picture...

(Cameron probably has,nt got a clue what's going on, he,s still trying to work out his gas bill.)

That might well change as the mainstream media C4, ITN and sky are now giving the saga a lot of air time. Friends at work have changed their holiday plans and cancelled Thailand.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Listen, Kent

If you have taken notice of how the amnesty con was sneaked and cheated through parliament then fair enough

If you observed the deceit and cheating with the senate gerrymandering bill and the voting then fair enough

If you were watching when the 2.2T bill was cheated through the vote and believe that a loan of this magnitude for undisclosed purposes should not be permitted then fair enough

If you communicate this to the Thaksin regime through plastic Barbie then you're a good man

But if you are playing the usual limp wristed British diplomat dressed in an undertaker's suit, then your function on the world stage is useless.

• Like 2

He mentioned the 2 trillion infrastructure deal, had he gone on to mention the rice-pledging scheme he would have done even better.

Ambassadors do look at stability (including financial stability) in the countries they are assigned to. They do not operate in a vacuum and are often given something of a script.

As we look and see what these ambassadors say they have all put a little extra pressure on the government to act in as restrained a way as possible without directly telling anyone what to do.

Remember that the UK did pull Thaksin's business visa after he sold Man City .... and the ambassador was sitting across from Thaksin's clone.

She is looking for a friend and he is trying to gain influence which ever way it falls.

He met with her and abhisit the other day. Maybe he's worried what Thailand might do to British business if Thaksin gets back?,,

I mean millitwit hardly covered himself in glory turfing thaksin out of London to save tesco's ass from a nominee share holding investigation.

Yingluck promises " to provide uninterrupted sevices to the publc. " What services, does the government provide any, or does she mean the staff working for the " government, " in the most outrageously and well kept buildings and teachers, petty officials at immigration etc. will still get their high salaries and benefits ?

It might be a very good idea for the countries represented by embassy's , consulates in Thailand to shut up, we do not need your consenting views on the state of Thailand , the people are saying something , listen you might learn something Mr Kent, lots of people are not happy with the PTP , let them make there own way and the embassy's shove off. go back to what you do best at , issuing visa's at a price.bah.gif[/quote

You obviously do not know what you are talking about. If this was happening inUK the Thai Ambassador would also discuss similar issues with the UK. Do not forget that Thailand declared War on the UK and USA after they supported the Japs landing in Southern Thailand in their invasion of Malaysia and Burma. Thailand was very lucky that the UK did not make Thailand pay for this, so I suggest you think and understand before you condemn a country that was not telling your prime minister what to do.

Britain did make Thailand pay for its support of the Japanese invasion of Malaya in rice indemnities and also sent a bill for the labour of its troops that worked on the Siam Burma railway that had to be paid in pounds sterling. Churchill wanted to annex the country as a punishment but the Americans stepped in and prevented that. Thailand might have got a functioning legal system if it had been annexed.

• Like 1

It might be a very good idea for the countries represented by embassy's , consulates in Thailand to shut up, we do not need your consenting views on the state of Thailand , the people are saying something , listen you might learn something Mr Kent, lots of people are not happy with the PTP , let them make there own way and the embassy's shove off. go back to what you do best at , issuing visa's at a price.bah.gif[/quote

You obviously do not know what you are talking about. If this was happening inUK the Thai Ambassador would also discuss similar issues with the UK. Do not forget that Thailand declared War on the UK and USA after they supported the Japs landing in Southern Thailand in their invasion of Malaysia and Burma. Thailand was very lucky that the UK did not make Thailand pay for this, so I suggest you think and understand before you condemn a country that was not telling your prime minister what to do.

Britain did make Thailand pay for its support of the Japanese invasion of Malaya in rice indemnities and also sent a bill for the labour of its troops that worked on the Siam Burma railway that had to be paid in pounds sterling. Churchill wanted to annex the country as a punishment but the Americans stepped in and prevented that. Thailand might have got a functioning legal system if it had been annexed.

It's not just the legal system - Thailand is, unfortunately, a complete basket case

Annex it? A straight jacket would be more appropriate.

Long live The King, God save the women and may the devil take the males who have already chosen the dark path

Willing to express concerns over political tension, but reportedly unwilling to comment on the proposed 500 baht compulsory insurance fee/tax, that will cost the 800,000 odd British tourists 500 baht each and take out £8 million from the British economy

Willing to express concerns over political tension, but reportedly unwilling to comment on the proposed 500 baht compulsory insurance fee/tax, that will cost the 800,000 odd British tourists 500 baht each and take out £8 million from the British economy

Clearly it was just one of those things called diplomatic protocol - a meaningless, insincere polite gesture unworthy of reporting in the media at all.

"Democracy" is ok until the poor sods who vote decide to vote for the 'wrong" party. Best recent example being Egypt. No matter what you and I may think of the Brotherhood of Islam (or whatever they are called) , the fact remains that they were voted in as much as a British party gets a mandate to govern, or an American president. (I seem to recall that only about 49% of the American voters turned out to elect Reagan first time around, which means he was elected by about 26% of the people)

So in Thailand, whatever you may think of the Shinawatras, they won the election (don't talk about vote-fixing, cos our good man George Dubya cheated his way into the White House, to name only one corrupt Western politician. Shall we talk about Tony Bliar, war criminal?)).

Time to oust them out at the next election, unless you want to start a revolution that truly changes the country, a la China or Vietnam.

So your idea of democracy is the permission for ordinary citizens to express their wishes every 4 years and then sit back and idly watch the "chosen ones" to run the country into ruin until the next "graciously offered permission" to voice their opinion?

No, Lenin, that is not my "idea of democracy", but it includes that. If you are going to overthrow an elected government, you had better have something new and revolutionary to offer once you have grabbed power.

In the case of Thailand, that may perhaps start with severe penalties, up to and including execution, for certain economic crimes.

she looks so sweet,and that is one of our misconceptions about thailand and ''the land of smiles''...corruption is evil,those who steal while the rest of the country suffers are about as low as it gets,take away her smile and nice legs ,and she is just another dictator...

I'd rather that than the big ugly blabbing mouth of Suthep.

I welcome any support from Western governments for the democratically elected government of Thailand. Such support has been sadly lacking in the past when I read little condemnation of the disgraceful behaviour of Abhisit when he was in office

International news bulletins still seem to give much more prominence to the behaviour and views of the protesters. I have yet to see an ordinary Pheu Thai voter interviewed who would be rightly aggrieved that the government he helped to gain office through the ballot box was suffering constant threats and intimidation

Do the likes of Suthep really want to push the government and it's supporters into retaliation?

At this point in time I have nothing but admiration for the way Yingluck and her government are dealing with the situation. If she was, indeed, acting on the instructions of her brother then i don't think she would be adopting this softly softly approach. We would probably be witnessing a battle royal on the streets of Bankok and elsewhere

Thaksin was never one to 'lose face'

• Like 1

I welcome any support from Western governments for the democratically elected government of Thailand. Such support has been sadly lacking in the past when I read little condemnation of the disgraceful behaviour of Abhisit when he was in office

International news bulletins still seem to give much more prominence to the behaviour and views of the protesters. I have yet to see an ordinary Pheu Thai voter interviewed who would be rightly aggrieved that the government he helped to gain office through the ballot box was suffering constant threats and intimidation

Do the likes of Suthep really want to push the government and it's supporters into retaliation?

At this point in time I have nothing but admiration for the way Yingluck and her government are dealing with the situation. If she was, indeed, acting on the instructions of her brother then i don't think she would be adopting this softly softly approach. We would probably be witnessing a battle royal on the streets of Bankok and elsewhere

They have to extend some support just as if they get overthrown the embassy will "extend help and advice to their long standing ally as they transition back to democracy" should the army intervene.

Yes i am sure that Suthep is trying to push the government into retaliation and i also admire the way Yingluck has handled this . I am also sure that if her brother did have the complete power that the Suthep gang claim, there would have been retaliation by now. So for now, forget about Thaksin and concentrate on the damage and division that the criminal Suthep is causing Thailand.

But are they "running the country into ruin" Just because this is how you perceive the situation having obviously been 'brainwashed by Khun Suthep on his ego trip. The Dems say this because they know persons like yourself will believe whatever they want and will blindly follow............Good luck !

He mentioned the 2 trillion infrastructure deal, had he gone on to mention the rice-pledging scheme he would have done even better.

Ambassadors do look at stability (including financial stability) in the countries they are assigned to. They do not operate in a vacuum and are often given something of a script.

As we look and see what these ambassadors say they have all put a little extra pressure on the government to act in as restrained a way as possible without directly telling anyone what to do.

Remember that the UK did pull Thaksin's business visa after he sold Man City .... and the ambassador was sitting across from Thaksin's clone.

The fact that he did mention the 2 trillion infrastructure deal suggests to me some British companies have bids in on the projects and possibly have a fair bit to lose (mostly stuffed in brown envelopes/lunch boxes to Thaksin acolytes) if this govt falls and the whole thing collapses. Therefore, he's doing his actual job of representing Brit business first and foremost by this visit, and not the imagined job by many of protecting British citizens interests, which comes in as a relatively low priority in the greater scheme of things. This raises the questions of which companies are involved in which parts of the Thaksin fantasy infrastructure scheme? If China has grabbed the lion's share of high-speed railways, which bit did British companies bid for? sad.png

The fact that he did mention the 2 trillion infrastructure deal suggests to me some British companies have bids in on the projects and possibly have a fair bit to lose (mostly stuffed in brown envelopes/lunch boxes to Thaksin acolytes) if this govt falls and the whole thing collapses. Therefore, he's doing his actual job of representing Brit business first and foremost by this visit, and not the imagined job by many of protecting British citizens interests, which comes in as a relatively low priority in the greater scheme of things. This raises the questions of which companies are involved in which parts of the Thaksin fantasy infrastructure scheme? If China has grabbed the lion's share of high-speed railways, which bit did British companies bid for? sad.png

Sevuritising the loan and the call centre?

Mobs roaming the streets, breaking into government buildings and intimidating the workforce, blocking major traffic arteries, cutting the power supply, all in order to overthrow an elected government and replace it with some form of dictatorship? What do you think he's going to say?

I say! This isn't 2010 you know. Do catch up huh.png

• Like 1