Buying a condo in Phnom Penh?

vanbrit548

What are the rules / pitfalls of a foreigner purchasing a condo in Cambodia? Can condos be bought in foreign name? Any special rules about bringing the money into cambodia? Is it like Thailand with the 49% foreign quota rule? Do i need to get something like a Tor Tor 3 when i bring money into the country?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Dear Rarky Being a Pakistani national im cursed with a Paki passport. What donation is required to get a cambodian passport and nationality? Id dual citizenship is not allowed id be happy to give up my Paki passport however not possible for me to reside in Cambodia at the moment Ill be 53 tomorrow and my email is <removed> Cheers

Edited by LivinginKata
email removed as per forum rules. Send a PM

Dear Rarky Being a Pakistani national im cursed with a Paki passport. What donation is required to get a cambodian passport and nationality? Id dual citizenship is not allowed id be happy to give up my Paki passport however not possible for me to reside in Cambodia at the moment Ill be 53 tomorrow and my email is <removed> Cheers

The figure went up to $75 K

Just to clarify, if one were to buy a condominium above the ground floor, it wouldn't be necessary to involve Cambodian citizens?

That is correct, you can buy in your own name.

There are not many actual Condos in Cambodia, though.

What is common area partments, or houses where upper floors are separately owned (sometimes with separate entrances, sometimes having to entrance through the downstairs neighbors place).

What they call "ptar leveang" (sort of townhouses/chinese-style shophouses) are very common and often the owners will sell one of the upper floors. Which can also allow the chance ot have a roof garden.

Send me $100,000 USD and I will arrange it for you.

To be honest it is not as straight-up and easy as it sounds. You're investment needs to benefit the economic future and citizens of Cambodia, the criteria is very strict and it needs to be approved and signed of by the PM and the King. And truthfully there aren't that many benefits to having Cambodian citizenship apart from being able to own land outright and travel visa free to ASEAN countries.

There are not many actual Condos in Cambodia, though.

What is common area partments, or houses where upper floors are separately owned (sometimes with separate entrances, sometimes having to entrance through the downstairs neighbors place).

What they call "ptar leveang" (sort of townhouses/chinese-style shophouses) are very common and often the owners will sell one of the upper floors. Which can also allow the chance ot have a roof garden.

Mostly true, across the river in Chroy Changva there are several condominium buildings already, and many more are currently being built and planned. There are also plans and construction ongoing for new condos in PP, most notably Olympic City. Its actually getting ridiculous, more appartments, condos, houses than there are people to fill them!

I had two friends who used to live in Cambodia. After acquiring property they both almost became victims of murder attempts on their lives. In short when a foreigner buys property in Cambodia there is now a reason for some to kill you for that property.

Be careful.

Doc

• Like 1

Just to clarify, if one were to buy a condominium above the ground floor, it wouldn't be necessary to involve Cambodian citizens?

No, you can own it 100% - that's the short answer. The longer one is that you are slightly confused and even in Thailand one can own a condo outright. The restrictions only apply to land and houses (and presumably any other ground floor dwelling) and are the same in both countries.

I have also heard that the rental market in PP took a hit lately, so planning to buy one and then rent it out may prove difficult. On the other hand, you can find apartments in older buildings with starting prices in the high 20's/low 30's ($US - most are a lot more, of course).

I do find some of the Khmer "interior design" concepts a bit hard to swallow though.

The "extra floor" they often put in that leaves the area below it feeling somewhat claustrophobic (and too low for a tall person) and dark - if there is only light from one side.

Some outside walls seem to have been replaced by a chain link fence.

The stair cases leading up to some of the flats and the building parts they expose can be extremely grotty.

Some balconies are tiny. Same goes for the size of individual rooms, if there are any. It's just a different approach to living where you spend much time outside or together.

So a foreigner can own a condo on the second floor but not the first floor.

Other than that it sounded to me like the same conditions we have here in Thailand.wai2.gif

Edit

Just had a thought are the prices comparable to here in Thailand?

Edited by hellodolly

heard $50,000 and 5 years of having a 1 year visa with extensions to get cambodian citizenship

There are a few westerners i know in shv that have brought condos. Phnom Phen is EXTREMELY over priced.

I think you mean expensive? they cant be overpriced unless you have some information regarding a property bubble. I mean real info through due diligence.

Condos in cambo have always been expensive and as mentioned already there aren't that many available.

• 2 weeks later...

Land is also ridiculously overpriced considering it's a proper third world country.

Yes, if buying in the cities it is ridiculously expensive. Head out into the boonies and its ridiculously cheap! I recently bought an acre of land for $4000, 30 minute drive from Phnom Penh.

Edited by rarky

Land is also ridiculously overpriced considering it's a proper third world country.

Yes, if buying in the cities it is ridiculously expensive. Head out into the boonies and its ridiculously cheap! I recently bought an acre of land for $4000, 30 minute drive from Phnom Penh.

Interesting!

1. Did you buy this land as a non Cambodian without the restrictions of needing another Cambodian National having some stake in the land ownership?

2. If you did - Is this land also intended for a property build and hence will then need to involve a Cambodian national in (via one of the above methods) in order for the build to progress?

Plenty of Condos coming up on Diamond Island with financing available. I am pretty sure they are ridiculously expensive though.

I just read about the development and this is a copy quote: "Prices range from US$270,000 to US$900,000 and each has their own elevator."

After reading all the posts on Thai Visa do you still want to buy anything in a third world country, are you looking for long term security, does Pol Pot come to mind? For free advice go to Victory Hill, many Aussies there by the way, never seen so many in one place, but a lot of free advice. Not being funny but the longer i stay in LOS and the more people i meet and the more posts i read i get the vibe and that vibe is to keep my money in my home country and have an escape plan should things go bad and remember "you can't take it with you" what you can't pack into your suit case stays behind so think smart for your future, otherwise go to Victory Hill, many foreign bars for sale there.

The figure went up to $75 K

I was told, but never pursued it, that even over 50yo you could get a marriage certified and pursue citizenship through the Sangkat level. It takes really solid connections and of course something to solidify the friendship...

Nothing at all like the $75k mentioned, but as I said, SOLID CONNECTIONS.

I haven't tried it but have made some fine friends on other matters....

Plenty of Condos coming up on Diamond Island with financing available. I am pretty sure they are ridiculously expensive though.

I just read about the development and this is a copy quote: "Prices range from US$270,000 to US$900,000 and each has their own elevator."

w00t.giffacepalm.gif

Now let's look at this reply in detail:

"After reading all the posts on Thai Visa do you still want to buy anything in a third world country, " ... Yes, I am. First or second world - no guarantee you will not suffer some kind of loss.

"are you looking for long term security" ... That security you speak of is an illusion. If we wanted that, we should all stay or move to Northern Europe - where plenty of us come from in the first place, coincidentally. We all have our reasons to like it in SE Asia.

", does Pol Pot come to mind? " ... Pol Pot is dead, silly person. Are you honestly suggesting that the Khmer Rouge may rise again? I think it's more likely that Thailand will descend into civil war by the way things are going.

"For free advice go to Victory Hill, many Aussies there by the way, never seen so many in one place, but a lot of free advice. Not being funny but the longer i stay in LOS and the more people i meet and the more posts i read i get the vibe and that vibe is to keep my money in my home country and have an escape plan should things go bad and remember "you can't take it with you" what you can't pack into your suit case stays behind so think smart for your future, otherwise go to Victory Hill, many foreign bars for sale there."

... Not drawn to Sihanoukville and not interested in running a bar. Nice jumping off point for some of the most beautiful islands on the planet though... It sounds as if this whole SE Asia thing isn't for you maybe if you are easily afraid and security is your main concern.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting!

1. Did you buy this land as a non Cambodian without the restrictions of needing another Cambodian National having some stake in the land ownership?

2. If you did - Is this land also intended for a property build and hence will then need to involve a Cambodian national in (via one of the above methods) in order for the build to progress?

I bought this land with my Khmer wife, therefore I own 49% and she owns 51%. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only a complete wombat would invest in Phnom Penh's property market or indeed Thailand's at the moment. The chances of civil war come the next election are increasing by the day and should His Majesty cease breathing in Thailand that country will also likely descend into civil war. Given that Malaysia or even Vietnam look like better bets (and Vietnam has just made buying property a shedload easier for foreigners too).