As a tourist coming to Bkk soon, when will the protests be over?

wellred

I'm due to spend a week or so in Bkk end of January. I plan to do sight seeing by day and hit sukhumvit at night. Will I face any issues as a tourist? Should I avoid Bkk or do you think this will all be done and dusted by then?

A friend told me a student at her uni got shot earlier. Thanks for the replies all. I think I'm going to come anyway.

You're asking about the end of January? That's a long ways away. There is no way anyone can tell you what it's going to be like then. And if they do, they're lying.

By the way, you probably shouldn't come because it will be mass chaos.

A friend told me a student at her uni got shot earlier. Thanks for the replies all. I think I'm going to come anyway.

Dont worry about that ,lots of students get shot ,its becoming a pastime here ,nothing to do with the protests.

• Like 1

High-end hotel rates are now starting to fall a bit. There must be some cancellations as a consequence of this unrest. Given the tragic circumstances, I'm not saying this is a silver lining...but for those still coming it will be a cheaper January than previous years.

If you stay away from the war zone while here, I would say there is a bigger chance of getting beat up by a mad ladyboy on drugs, than the demonstrations affecting you.

Didn't the "war zone" include the airport and some shopping malls last time?

Despite what you may have been led to believe, TV members do NOT have access to privileged information from within the Army, the Royal Thai Police, the Opposition or the Cabinet.

Lots of tourists still milling around - clubs, bars, malls etc all open as usual

Come or don't

Up to you

Dam_n, does that mean all that info I've been getting from my hi-so chinese wife is just baloney?

The airports was three times ago. 2006

Since then the reds were out 2009 all about,

20010 which was central world burning.

Granted it's approximately the same side in the streets this time,

and the other side the last few times. If the current crew is still about,

Then less violence from them and more towards them.

If the reds take the streets in numbers again, watch out.

Generally we know if things are going to be longer term if it restarts after

The kings birthday, on the 5th. If so plan less time in Bangkok, and more

A Samui, Phuket, Pattaya etc, just so you need not worry about where to not go.

There is lots of Thailand to enjoy.

• Like 1

I have just cancelled my 3 week trip. After working 40 years to get to retirement, now is not the time to be stupid. Why take the risk, there are many places that you/I can have fun without taking on this problem. I usually spend a lot of time near Suk/Asoke and so are the protesters. The big park near Silom is often visited by me and the protesters.

If you were a protester or better still a hot head, immature student that wanted to get headlines and have all your friends Like you on Facebook, would you totally limit yourself to the so called war zones? Would the press eat up a story that involved a large group at say a tourist attraction? Hot heads and mops are not noted for their thinking.

Within the last week, in sleepy up country provinces, I have witnessed fights break out between Red and Yellow at the food cart, and corner shop. These have all been limited to one on one, but it indicates the tension and high feelings on the subject.

In a matter of 2 days it has gone from peaceful to shooting, bombs and death. Now protesters are trying to take over police stations, army HQ's, and the likes.

Pay your money and take your chances. It is perfectly fine and safe until it is not. Most places are totally safe for you to walk around until you walk into an unsafe place. Everybody is friendly and smiley until the bomb explodes and then there are no more smiles. For me, I have seen this stuff before and frankly do not need to walk in harms way. After all it is a numbers game and I do not want my number called quite yet.

whistling.gif

OP....as for when the protests will be "over...ie...done & dusted" that's anybody's

guess. However...It's business as usual save for where the demo's are happening.

Internet & telecoms may be iffy at times but everything else is pretty darn good.

C'Mon Over!

Perhaps you should be more concerned as to how you will get a taxi cab by meter from Bangkok's moffia taxis which repeatedly ignore Bangkok taxi laws than the political climate. You can easily stay out of the mix and still enjoy your planned activities just research alternative transport to the taxis such as sky train, and river or commuter canal boat.

It is illegal for a taxi to refuse a fare, to refuse to use the meter and to run undersized tires to increase the fare by as much as 20% over standard tires.

Thailand is Thailand but by Dec 5th the king's birthday this should all be over.

I am 99 % sure that end of January everything is OK again.

But there is a slight chance that it is either not yet OK, or there is already the next uprising.

But I would say book to come to Bangkok and if it is not OK, just take the next airplane to Phuket, Koh Samui, Chang Mai, etc etc

The chance that that the airports aren't working is almost zero.

If you stay away from the war zone while here, I would say there is a bigger chance of getting beat up by a mad ladyboy on drugs, than the demonstrations affecting you.

Didn't the "war zone" include the airport and some shopping malls last time?

Yes. Anything could happen and probably will. Will it effect tourists? Who can say?

It might.

It may get worse.

At the bottom of it, there is real problem in this country, as there is in most countries.

Given the way Thais do things, the answers can be pretty colourful.

Unless you must come to Thai, I'd go somewhere else.

This represents unnecessary risk.

The airports was three times ago. 2006

Since then the reds were out 2009 all about,

20010 which was central world burning.

Granted it's approximately the same side in the streets this time,

and the other side the last few times. If the current crew is still about,

Then less violence from them and more towards them.

If the reds take the streets in numbers again, watch out.

Generally we know if things are going to be longer term if it restarts after

The kings birthday, on the 5th. If so plan less time in Bangkok, and more

A Samui, Phuket, Pattaya etc, just so you need not worry about where to not go.

There is lots of Thailand to enjoy.

I am feeling left out here you omitted Chiang Mai. Maybe he is not a sex tourist Here in Chiang Mai we have far more than that to offer. Unfortunately we do not have long sandy beaches.

Are you a Chiang Mai resident trying to save us from the tourist trade?tongue.png

OP....as for when the protests will be "over...ie...done & dusted" that's anybody's

guess. However...It's business as usual save for where the demo's are happening.

Internet & telecoms may be iffy at times but everything else is pretty darn good.

C'Mon Over!

My boy called the other night he has already bought his tickets for Feb. I told him makes no difference when he comes it will be as safe as it has been the other four times he has been here. Only this time there might be an option to go into dangerous territory. But it will be an option or maybe it will all be over by then. That is where my money goes.

I see the rent a thug mob was told to go homer and it iss begining to look like Suthep has over played his hand and will not last much longer.