As a tourist coming to Bkk soon, when will the protests be over?

wellred

Perhaps you should be more concerned as to how you will get a taxi cab by meter from Bangkok's moffia taxis which repeatedly ignore Bangkok taxi laws than the political climate. You can easily stay out of the mix and still enjoy your planned activities just research alternative transport to the taxis such as sky train, and river or commuter canal boat.

It is illegal for a taxi to refuse a fare, to refuse to use the meter and to run undersized tires to increase the fare by as much as 20% over standard tires.

Thailand is Thailand but by Dec 5th the king's birthday this should all be over.

Man If I had to worry about taxi cabs overcharging when on vacation I would not go. Life is to short to plan every thing around the correct price for a taxi ride.

That is a pretty limited view of what Thailand has to offer.

People on holiday don't want to spend it trying to figure out the transport system and make sure it is the cheapest.

I have been to Pattaya several times and still do not know there bot bus system. I know the route for two of them and part of the route for a third. I had to figure it out by trial and error. There is no map telling you where to go to get on one to go to a certain place.

I have just cancelled my 3 week trip...

...Within the last week, in sleepy up country provinces, I have witnessed fights break out between Red and Yellow at the food cart, and corner shop...

whistling.gif

These two statements would seem to be mutually exclusive

Also note, he said between Red and Yellow shirts, no mention of attacking farang on holidays.

Just don't wear a red or yellow shirt!!

i spent 3 days going to a hospital there last week and the traffic was chaos! our sat nav kept sending us right into the reds encampments so we sat round for hours in gridlock trying to skirt round them..........thankfully my colon doesnt need removing after all so im gonna keep it safe in pattaya from now on.

...........'safe in pattaya?'............5555

.A straight answer to the OP's question, the protests will stop one day, but NEVER end....not in my lifetime, just stay out of BKK, there is so much more to Thailand than p**sing it up in BKK, you can do it just as well in most areas, no seriously, come, enjoy, just don't take chances.

Thai coups are a little like Fijian coups, lot of bluster, a few shots fired, and then off and into the pi$$ together.

I'm with Ulysses. Come and enjoy the place, but if things look like they're getting a bit hot, bail for Chiang Mai or a beach resort.

• Like 1

There are no risks at all for you. Sukhumvit, nana and such other exclusive areas of town are like a black hole of Bangkok where anything pertaining to real life in Thailand gets filtered out and becomes invisible

If your eyes sting watching that show in Patpong and you hear some popping sounds, then don't worry - it's just some surplus tear gas they used to fill up those balloons, and the stray darts are all sterilised.

Will I face any issues as a tourist?

If political unrest continues, check with your travel insurance provider what your policy affords you, prior to departure.

Nothing out of the ordinary that us expats have noticed. The country is its usual basket case, but they leave us alone.

"Nothing out of the ordinary that us we expats have noticed."

Interesting. I know many TV posters assume that all 66 million Thais think and act exactly alike, but I hadn't realized that all expats were now expressing their collective opinion through one spokesperson.

"The country is its usual basket case, but they leave us alone."

One way you can probably tell if things are going pear-shaped is that the perpetual dull whining sound emitted by the (apparently single-minded) expat community will reach sufficient pitch to break glass, and several threads on TV will be discussing the availability of:

depends_sm.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

"Up to you" is the official Thai response, but my advise is don't wear a Red tee-shirt, a Black tee-shirt, a Yellow tee-shirt, a Blue tee-shirt or a pink tee-shirt, but I am not sure about a green tee-shirt... better be safe than sorry don't wear any shirt at all.

Other things that can get you into trouble (translation "killed") here.- is pointing with your feet, touching someones head, joking about people in high places.

More advise is: don't rent a jet ski or in fact any other type of vehicle, don't travel on any train (unless you want a near death experience).

I have more pointers of advise that I could give you but I don't want to crash the forum server with such a large post.

BTW. Have a great holiday, oh you might be wondering why I am here, the answer is.... sex. but if that's what your wanting, here is some advice... oh there I go again, sorry, cant keep my big mouth shut can I" giggle.gif

If political unrest continues, check with your travel insurance provider what your policy affords you, prior to departure.

Nothing out of the ordinary that us expats have noticed. The country is its usual basket case, but they leave us alone.

Interesting. I know many TV posters assume that all 66 million Thais think and act exactly alike, but I hadn't realized that all expats were now expressing their collective opinion through one spokesperson.

One way you can probably tell if things are going pear-shaped is that the perpetual dull whining sound emitted by the (apparently single-minded) expat community will reach sufficient pitch to break glass, and several threads on TV will be discussing the availability of:

depends_sm.jpg

"One way you can probably tell if things are going pear-shaped is that the perpetual dull whining sound"

Nope. Its when they play jazz on all the TV and radio stations continuously and the regular programs vanish.

so far i haven't seen any evidence of the protests around sukhumvit where i live and spend most of my time- to my understanding most (or all) of the tourist attractions are open as usual - obviously, keep yourself updated and be vigilant but i dont think the protesters should be a major concern to any tourists planning to visit bangkok

other risks in bangkok include snakes / scorpions / mosquitoes / other creepy crawlies, crazed wild dogs / cats, dangerous and drunk drivers / motorcyclists, buildings with structural problems / fire hazards, broken manholes / potholes / sinkholes in the road / pavement, food hygiene issues, corrupt police / other scam artists, tropical thunderstorms / lightning, faulty electric wiring, and the lack of passenger safety belts in taxis

if any of these are a major worry to you i recommend to stay back home - if not just add the protesters to the list of potential risks to be aware of but dont allow any worries to ruin your holiday in AMAZING THAILAND (it's not luxembourg)

• Like 2

so far i haven't seen any evidence of the protests around sukhumvit where i live and spend most of my time- to my understanding most (or all) of the tourist attractions are open as usual - obviously, keep yourself updated and be vigilant but i dont think the protesters should be a major concern to any tourists planning to visit bangkok

other risks in bangkok include snakes / scorpions / mosquitoes / other creepy crawlies, crazed wild dogs / cats, dangerous and drunk drivers / motorcyclists, buildings with structural problems / fire hazards, broken manholes / potholes / sinkholes in the road / pavement, food hygiene issues, corrupt police / other scam artists, tropical thunderstorms / lightning, faulty electric wiring, and the lack of passenger safety belts in taxis

if any of these are a major worry to you i recommend to stay back home - if not just add the protesters to the list of potential risks to be aware of but dont allow any worries to ruin your holiday in AMAZING THAILAND (it's not luxembourg)

I hear playing checkers on your kitchen table is pretty safe. And Monopoly, too- but not with my cousin.

One thing no one has mentioned.

I believe , well in Australia at least,that if a travel warning has been issued then your travel insurance will not cover you

This is an interesting one as DFAT has had a warning out on travel to Thailand ever since I can remember. But it seems to have some sought of warning for pretty well everywhere in the world. I think you would be OK unless it says "do not travel". If it advises caution then it may be OK. Ultimately it will depend on your insurance policy - read the fine print.

Edited by Mousehound

A friend told me a student at her uni got shot earlier. Thanks for the replies all. I think I'm going to come anyway.

You're asking about the end of January? That's a long ways away. There is no way anyone can tell you what it's going to be like then. And if they do, they're lying.

By the way, you probably shouldn't come because it will be mass chaos.

Plenty of other places to visit, try Chaing Mai, and here on Koh Samui, life goes on as usual.

i spent 3 days going to a hospital there last week and the traffic was chaos! our sat nav kept sending us right into the reds encampments so we sat round for hours in gridlock trying to skirt round them..........thankfully my colon doesnt need removing after all so im gonna keep it safe in pattaya from now on.

...........'safe in pattaya?'............5555

Wow! are you telling us that your sat-nav sent you right into a football stadium ?

depends_sm.jpg

Oh my goodness! what are you doing wasting your time here, you are far too smart to be in Thailand, but then i guess that you can get a top job as a TEFL teacher. clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

One thing no one has mentioned.

I believe , well in Australia at least,that if a travel warning has been issued then your travel insurance will not cover you

Just give any insurance company half a chance to wriggle out of a claim and they will snatch at it , Australia and anywhere else.

A friend told me a student at her uni got shot earlier. Thanks for the replies all. I think I'm going to come anyway.

Dont worry about that ,lots of students get shot ,its becoming a pastime here ,nothing to do with the protests.

It is the students at technical schools that frequently shoot each other; schools resent each other and there are gangs. The very recent protest shootings are university students(a drastic change), specifically ramkamhaeng university. It is not common for university students to get shot. If violence and protects spread there will be major traffic jams and diversions. Now the area around many temples (golden budha) and kaosan road. is involved.

Can anyone please tell me where the protests take place? I have already booked a room(Delight resistence), thats near the don mueang airport.

https://maps.google.de/maps?q=Delight+Residence+Bangkok+Thailand&hl=de&sll=13.794283,100.564293&sspn=0.29641,0.470695&oq=delight+&t=h&hq=Delight+Residence&hnear=Bangkok,+Thailand&ie=UTF8&ll=13.890318,100.561574&spn=0.009259,0.014709&z=17&vpsrc=6&iwloc=A&cid=9577332742509182704

Is this place safe? I don't think so...

Thank you very much

Edited by benny83

You might consider flying into either Phuket or Chiang Mai, and avoid Bangkok altogether. The weather in Chiang Mai is very nice this time of year. My wife just flew back in from Bangkok yesterday.....she was far from any trouble spots. Keep a watch on the airport, if they try to grab it, then it could get tricky. Nobody knows right now when either side is going to back down. I am not sure its going to get better in two more days, as others believe. Sure hope they take a break on Dec 5.