Actor Paul Walker killed in car crash

bazmlb

Actor Paul Walker – best known for his role in The Fast and The Furious franchise has reportedly been killed in a fiery car explosion in Southern California.

TMZ reports that the actor was in a Porsche when the driver somehow lost control and slammed into either a post or a tree before the car crashed and burst into flames.

It's understood that Walker and one other person who was travelling in the car were killed in the crash.

Read More...

Ninemsn 2013-12-1

My bad. I read it was a hoax, but now I am seeing reliable news sources saying he died. That sux.

Sounds like he was passenger in his Carrera GT giving test drives. I had one of those and that is a car that the tail can get away very rapidly on you if you don't know what your doing.

-----

The actor was reportedly riding in a Porsche that lost control for an unknown reason and hit a post or tree before bursting into flames.Multiple sources have told TMZ that Walker and another person were killed in the accident. At this point, it is unclear what caused the accident or who exactly was behind the wheel when it took place.According to the report, the actor was in Santa Clarita for a car show to support the relief effort for the Philippines typhoon and was taking friends for rides in a new Porsche.

http://m.mtv.com/news/article.rbml?id=1718268&alt=http%3a%2f%2fm.mtv.com%2fnews%2findex.rbml

Edited by F430murci

RIP to the victims, and condolences to their loved ones.

Nobody deserves to die like that.

But it's a tough way to learn that the way they drive in the movies- only works in the movies.

Just thankful that they didn't take out an innocent family.

Driver was Roger Rodas. Know this guy from racing. He was a Merrill Lynch advisor and owned Always Evolving sports car company. He was a very capable driver. Even though CGTs are widow markers, something went awry for him to lose it like that. I have seen CGTs wrecked at tracks or aftermath pictures and known the speeds from data loggers of most of these accidents. This car was moving, but Rodas would not have wrecked absent mechanical issue or car accudently cutting him off.

This car was moving, but Rodas would not have wrecked absent mechanical issue or car accudently cutting him off.

Or a pothole, or a rock on the road, or a few toddies, or any one of a hundred factors that should differentiate driving at speed on a track from driving on a public road, among innocent people just going about their lives.

• Like 1

Hit a post at speed and burst into flames, looking at the vehicle no one could have survived; as said tracks are dangerous enough but excessive speed on public roads can be fatal unfortunately, think we have all done it at sometime...

RIP to both guys

Edited by Lokie

Driver was Roger Rodas. Know this guy from racing. He was a Merrill Lynch advisor and owned Always Evolving sports car company. He was a very capable driver.

Some reports have Mr. Rodas at the wheel, just a short way from the speed shop where there was a charity event that Mr. Rodas and Mr. Walker had just attended, and that he was burning out, doing donuts and figure eights on a public road. Then he lost control. People from the speed shop ran to the accident scene with fire extinguishers but it was too late.

Not much left of the vehicle; looks like a nasty way to go, especially when it is caused by one's own poor judgement.

post-9615-0-87678100-1385890113_thumb.jp

OI! What are you doing with my av???? thumbsup.gif Ten years here and finally someone likes it

As sad as this is, what was the guy doing driving in that manner . . . and calling the car a 'widow-maker' . . . please, drivers kill themselves in situations like this, not cars

• Like 1

That IS sad. I usually don't care any more for a star's death than any other in particular. But he was doing good works.

His racer friend was driving?

RIP brother.

Edited by ding

OI! What are you doing with my av???? thumbsup.gif Ten years here and finally someone likes it

As sad as this is, what was the guy doing driving in that manner . . . and calling the car a 'widow-maker' . . . please, drivers kill themselves in situations like this, not cars

Just like the old Beechcraft Bonanzas were called doctor killers. The CGT is a handful. Car mags and track enthusiasts have labeled it widow maker, not me.

Porsche was going to make 1,500, but stopped at around 1,250. Sticker was $489,000 and they were selling for $750,000 and up when first ones rolled out, but sales slowed. The car was a handful for most drivers, difficult to drive in town, stalled easily going into first gear, had an exceedingly low front end that rubbed everywhere and even a mild bump meant a trip back to Germany for repairs.

When I sold mine, there was less than a 1,000 left due to accidents. I lost two very close friends, Ben Keaton and Cory Rudl, in one on a race track in 2005. Since then, I have had several acquaintances lose their lives in CGTs. None of these people had the skills of Roger Rodas though.

Several car mags declared the CGT as the most dangerous car. Twitchy and subject to abrupt oversteer from lifting or from throttle over steer. I spun mine from throttle over steer coming out of turn 4 at Laguna Seca and I was very fortunate to have stayed out of the inside wall. I never spin and have raced Cup cars or open wheel at Laguna Seca for 30 years.

RE: Roger Rodas

Roger was a responsible, devote family man. He raced Porsche Cup, but recently switched to GTS. He was always a gentleman and a professional. He did very well had multiple podiums and wins in professional racing.

RE: Location

This was an industrial warehouse district area with wide roads. He was not in a neighborhood or on typical city streets. People from his shop said the wreck occurred on a straight. He had a lot of seat time in that car and would have been extremely familiar with that little loop by his shop. Hard to explain to someone without much seat time, but he knew and could have easily felt that cars limits. A driver at his level can easily tell when a car is approaching 10/10ths.

I just cannot imagine him getting that out of sorts absent mechanical failure or something darting out in front of him.

Carbon fiber also has tendency to explode or disingrate at impact and I have seen a minor bump from the rear fold a CGT at the rear of the door in front of the engine compartment. Yes, he was going fast. Too fast, but I just cannot accept that speed caused him to lose control.

The real victim was his 8 year old son that apparently jumped fence at shop and tried to pull him from burning car. Paul Waljers daughter was also there.

Both Paul and Roger were very active in charity work and both were very good people.

• Like 2

My point is that any car driven badly - especially at insane speeds - will crash and burn.

I had a Saab Viggen (now I am happy with an Audi 5 - and know how to drive it without testing the limits . . . why would one anyway) and got quite close to losing it once because I took it past its limits - - -

Report that possibly power steering fluid trail before the short straight skid marks suggesting Roger did not have steering prior to impact. Let's just leave it at that and let the professionals do their work before jumping to any conclusions.

Who's jumping to any conclusions?

The police have already said speed is a factor, and looking at the motor, that's not really a reach given that the speed limit was 45MPH.

It's not driving too fast that kills people, it's stopping too quickly.

Edited by Chicog

If you are driving down the interstate at 75 mph, have a blow-out, hit a tree and die, speed is a factor in your death. Speed, however, was not the cause. At this point, we don't know if the cause was mechanical or a lapse in judgment by exceeding the car's limits.

I am a bit overly sensitive due to my relationship with Roger, but I am not blind. Perhaps stating the obvious makes some feel important or intelligent even if classless or unnecessary given the circumstances. Here in the US, we have had all kinds of irresponsible vicious reports of everything from CNN stating that there was another car and there was street racing to Roger was doing donuts and spinning in the road before impact. Surveillance cameras and witnesses have confirmed that there was no street racing and there are only a short faint strait skid mark with a fluid trail before impact.

Paul Walker's sister regarding the speculation, rumors and people feeling the need to become amateur accident reconstructionist and opine as to cause based on a few internet pictures of a car that exploded and burned.

“They were absolutely not racing, that’s a complete lie,” Ashlie told the UK’s Daily Mail on Dec. 2. ”It hurts us when we hear these lies and it makes our grief worse and more painful. These are irresponsible allegations and people are trying to make out speed and racing was the reason for his death when it was just a terrible accident.”

Nuff said . . .

So speed wasn't a factor and the Porsche wrapped itself around the tree and lamp-post and exploded with debris scattered 100 feet around . . . 25/35/45 mp/h it was.

Porsche should be sued for every penny it has for making a car that disintegrates on impact at 60 km/h - my wife is a lawyer and will take on all class action suits. (Ok, she is a corporate lawyer, but will change fields of expertise for this occasion)

'Amateur reconstructionists' . . . a nice diversion from people forming or voicing an opinion just like we all do every day on fairly well every topic.

I do a bit of racing (badly) and am at the Nurburgring once a year, usually in May, with some Japanese and German friends - have done so for a decade - and know a tiny bit about it (our car is a BMW, however.) so perhaps I can voice my opinion. I was also at Gotemba-Shi in August . . nice.

It is a tragedy, no doubt . . .

'Nuff said . . .

So speed wasn't a factor and the Porsche wrapped itself around the tree and lamp-post and exploded with debris scattered 100 feet around . . . 25/35/45 mp/h it was.

Porsche should be sued for every penny it has for making a car that disintegrates on impact at 60 km/h - my wife is a lawyer and will take on all class action suits. (Ok, she is a corporate lawyer, but will change fields of expertise for this occasion)

'Amateur reconstructionists' . . . a nice diversion from people forming or voicing an opinion just like we all do every day on fairly well every topic.

I do a bit of racing (badly) and am at the Nurburgring once a year, usually in May, with some Japanese and German friends - have done so for a decade - and know a tiny bit about it (our car is a BMW, however.) so perhaps I can voice my opinion. I was also at Gotemba-Shi in August . . nice.

It is a tragedy, no doubt . . .

'Nuff said . . .

. . . and a class act.