Townhouse advise please

Hi

I'm looking to buy a 3 bedroom townhouse with a couple of modern western bathrooms and a western style kitchen, somewhere that's accessible for travelling from Korat but heading towards the Pattaya district. So it could be in an outer district of Bangkok.

We want a townhouse that's had a western style reno, it doesn't have to be the Taj Mahal but it needs to be in a flood free zone.

Can anyone give me some advise on what price range I should realistically expect to pay? I was looking at about 5M cash.

Am I dreaming at this price range?

also if anyone has any areas they think are good then we would appreciate the feedback.

I work FIFO off-shore and when I'm working my wife prefers to go home when I'm away, hence no mansion required.

We are sick of travelling and want somewhere to dump the bags.

cheers

My best advice,

get some place near the expressway, Pattanakarn, soi 30+ will get you a T/H for 3 million.

Close to the airport, less than 30 minutes, close to the outer ring rd for HW # 9 for Korat, and expressway for Pattaya.

a western style kitchen,

Thats your problem, please explain what this means to you.

By western style, you wont get it here, have you ever been in a modern Thai build house, you couldnt throw a punch in them, the people that buy these houses, either eat out, or bring plastic bags of food home to eat.

Your best bet is to get to a new build developer and tell them to upgrade the spec of the kitchen, probably get it sorted out for an extra 200k baht.

my wife prefers to go home when I'm away,

Does your mrs drive and have a car, or does she need to be near Mor Chit for a bus up north?

Can anyone give me some advise on what price range I should realistically expect to pay? I was looking at about 5M cash.

No you are not dreaming, yes 5 million is plent, in fact is more than enough for basically a "crash pad"

Some of these townhouses can cost anywhere up to 20 million, depending on location and spec.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

My best advice,

get some place near the expressway, Pattanakarn, soi 30+ will get you a T/H for 3 million.

Close to the airport, less than 30 minutes, close to the outer ring rd for HW # 9 for Korat, and expressway for Pattaya.

a western style kitchen,

By western style, you wont get it here, have you ever been in a modern Thai build house, you couldnt throw a punch in them, the people that buy these houses, either eat out, or bring plastic bags of food home to eat.

Your best bet is to get to a new build developer and tell them to upgrade the spec of the kitchen, probably get it sorted out for an extra 200k baht.

Does your mrs drive and have a car, or does she need to be near Mor Chit for a bus up north?

No you are not dreaming, yes 5 million is plent, in fact is more than enough for basically a "crash pad"

Some of these townhouses can cost anywhere up to 20 million, depending on location and spec.

Best of luck.

Cheers...

What I meant really was that I'd prefer a kitchen that was open plan like in the west because its me that likes to cook occasionally and I like socializing, while I do it. Most Thai homes I've been in have the kitchen (gas burner and a sink) stuck out the back, which is understandable if they are cooking spicy food but I want it more for occasional socializing, so what works for them doesn't for me.

My wife doesn't drive either but I do, so she needs a good transport route when I'm at work so she can get to work in BKK.

When we go to Korat I drive but her mum visits a bit and uses Mor Chit because my in-laws have a house in Klongtanon in Samai district as well. That's where she stays in when

I'm at work

I think the answer is good location and reno.

Anyway thanks for the advise and I will check it out.

My best advice,

a western style kitchen,

Best of luck.

Cheers...

What I meant really was that I'd prefer a kitchen that was open plan like in the west because its me that likes to cook occasionally and I like socializing, while I do it. Most Thai homes I've been in have the kitchen (gas burner and a sink) stuck out the back, which is understandable if they are cooking spicy food but I want it more for occasional socializing, so what works for them doesn't for me.

My wife doesn't drive either but I do, so she needs a good transport route when I'm at work so she can get to work in BKK.

When we go to Korat I drive but her mum visits a bit and uses Mor Chit because my in-laws have a house in Klongtanon in Samai district as well. That's where she stays in when

I'm at work

I think the answer is good location and reno.

Anyway thanks for the advise and I will check it out.

What I meant really was that I'd prefer a kitchen that was open plan like in the west

Ok understood now, thats the norm here, if you want built in oven and eye level grill you will probably have to refit or get the developer to put it in for you, depending on whether you buy new or second hand.

so she needs a good transport route when I'm at work so she can get to work in BKK.

Probably have to be a compromise on price and proximity to where your wife works.

I sure wouldnt like to be crossing Bkk on public transport every day.

I brought a 3 bed 2 bath townhouse in mahawong village (which is off either soi plumchit Rama 4 or Sukhumvit soi 48 depending on which way you look at it) earlier this year after renting an apartment in Sukhumvit soi 8. There are a couple of houses in the mu ban with for sale signs on the gate at present with phone number for private sale, depending on how westernised they are inside the price will be between 3 and 4 million. Turn right at the 7-11 crossroads instead of going ahead and across the khlong bridge to Waterford.

I know you said Townhouse but.........Have a look at Muang Thong Thani at small condos. The TALL buildings, not the short ones. Less than 3 million I believe, maybe lots less. Better security than a Townhouse, easier to put in your name. I know someone who has been there since the late 90s. He likes it, not perfect any means, but pretty good value for the money. Covered parking also for your vehicle. Worth looking at anyway.

We have a unit off of Sukhumvit Soi 101 that meets your specification it is listed with Savills (real estate agent).

The agents number is 081-837-3132. Her name is Ampai Muller and she speaks good English.

Any chance of a link to that? I've had a look on the site and can't find anything......

I know you said Townhouse but.........Have a look at Muang Thong Thani at small condos. The TALL buildings, not the short ones. Less than 3 million I believe, maybe lots less. Better security than a Townhouse, easier to put in your name. I know someone who has been there since the late 90s. He likes it, not perfect any means, but pretty good value for the money. Covered parking also for your vehicle. Worth looking at anyway.

well for mueng thong thani you should do some homework to get intothe good part. there are many many many cheap places there, but some areas are not that great for future investementreturn, or living conditions. Some parts seem to be abandoned by dveleopment companies and buildings are not maintained anymore. Othersparts are great and upcoming. been looking there too and there are great differences from one area to another as to the future plans

I have a 3 bedroom, 5 bathroom townhouse. Located on the Ringroad 1, one of the best locations in Chiangmai. The kitchen is total western. 318 sq. met so plenty of room, totally furnished. No maintence needed, swimming pool and fitness center. 3.9 M.

Leave me a message if interested. Finance could be a consideration.

Consider this post carefully, there are many townhouses for sale all over Thailand,, mostly because when they are built new they are sold with much glossy photos and fanfare but from what friends (Thai and Western) have given me back as feedback is that these properties are let go from maintenance very early and eventually unkept, the security is lax also, break ins frequent, remember this is only what i have been told not personal experience but the advice i have been given many times has always been the advice posted above,,, for all those reasons and eventual peace of mind, and remember selling a second hand building in Thailand is the hardest thing (almost impossible) to do here as many people (Asians) only want new properties (to do with ghosts) so consider this blase situation as well... good luck and do you research..