A warning to those looking to fly w/ Qantas from New Zealand via Sydney

TheGhostWithin

I seriously doubt race had anything to do with it at all. It is the passport with which person travels

No country of residence.

Does anyone have a link to airline regulations in this regard?

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/content/dam/mas/master/en/pdf/book-plan/Baggage-On-Arrival.pdf

May give a slight indication.

Note it is where your home is. If your home is KL and you fly to Penang you are away from home and entitled.

Similarly her home is NZ but even if it was in Yala she is not at home.

At 21 days delay baggage is considered lost. Compensation under international agreements is required to be paid

For baggage delays, airlines are required to fully compensate customers for replacement of items until the baggage is delivered. ie: you can buy replacement clothes/toiletries.

But how does it apply to OP? as he said they refused to pay compensation for his GF because she is travelling on Thai passport,

so is there a regulation in this regard? ie any passenger of any residence or passport is compensated same?

At 21 days delay baggage is considered lost. Compensation under international agreements is required to be paid

For baggage delays, airlines are required to fully compensate customers for replacement of items until the baggage is delivered. ie: you can buy replacement clothes/toiletries.

But how does it apply to OP? as he said they refused to pay compensation for his GF because she is travelling on Thai passport,

so is there a regulation in this regard? ie any passenger of any residence or passport is compensated same?

That is because they are wrong. Passport is irrelevant. If the airline doesn't get you to where you are supposed to go through their fault then they pay compensation. Regardless of where you are from.

• Like 2

I seriously doubt race had anything to do with it at all. It is the passport with which person travels

No country of residence.

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/content/dam/mas/master/en/pdf/book-plan/Baggage-On-Arrival.pdf

May give a slight indication.

Note it is where your home is. If your home is KL and you fly to Penang you are away from home and entitled.

Similarly her home is NZ but even if it was in Yala she is not at home.

Thank you, i guess then its down to proving where your home actually is.

That is because they are wrong. Passport is irrelevant. If the airline doesn't get you to where you are supposed to go through their fault then they pay compensation. Regardless of where you are from.

Airline policies should cover it.

The international agreement is called the Montreal Convention

Let me put it this way.

I used to live in Brisbane. About 6 years ago I was going from Brisbane to NZ, via Sydney.

At Brisbane airport there was an issue with the plane. I think it was Air NZ. The end result was that we couldn't go that day. The airline paid for all passengers to get taxis to a hotel they had booked for us and also paid for meals. So even though I have an Aussie passport, lived in Brisbane, I still got put up in a hotel.

• Like 1

Important to note there is a 21 day limit on claims.

But I suggest ring QANTAS after hours....then you used to get out through to the Call centre which handles Australia and bypass some of the terrible service and problems their local agent throws up.

I was advised to do this by Qantas after I complained there after a previous problem.

• Like 1

OP, it is not a pleasant experience, but lets break it down little,

Firstly , what is wrong with check in opening 2 hours before?

You asked air hostess about your luggage, how do you expect them to know this or control this? Do you not realize not only they have no access to it or control over it, but its done by totally different department.

You say chair was not upright, fair enough, but if you were so concerned why not get up and move to any available sit?

Upon landing you discovered your bags were not on the same flight and asked to speak to staff? what staff and what did you expect them to do? fly it over for you with a speed of light?

People who loaded your bags at the point of origin are not the same people unloading it at the point of final destination.

Qantas management does not work in Thailand and ground crew are in no position to know why and how your bags missed the flight

You say, they refuse to pay compensation for your GF/Wife on the grounds that she is Thai, but you say she is NZ resident.

Well she may well be a resident, but she still holds and travels on Thai passport, do you not see that?

You say your gf/wife is without soap, are you joking? go buy 10 baht soap

No shampoo? its only 25 baht

No cloths? common really, go buy 70 baht tops

Some people really like to make themselves victims

You say you contact Qantas Australia with no response? Firstly why are you contacting Australia? you flew ex NZ, contact NZ office.

Secondly, if you not getting response from Qantas, why do not you call them?

I am sorry for taking a dig at you, but it seems you, yourself have made something easily fixed into a big drama.

I would also like to add and agree wit above a I have been to 48 countries..... That once you enter the AIR SPACE of another country that country has RIGHT OVER YOUR PERSON - that is you fall under their rule of law. That is why alcohol is turned off on some arabian countriry flights.

Yes you LANDED at Sydney so you are AUTOMATICALLY going through Aussie customs and immigration same same if I went to New Zealand or USA and EVEN if I was only transitting.

Transit passengers in many counties are obliged to go through customs control procedures or immigration as it is also called.

And what about the people on board the flight? It makes it seem to me that Fillipinos are lesser than you or your Thai partner? Not nice to read about demographocs when you are a FOREIGNER here.

I agree that your statement pointing out that the planes was filled with Filipinos is incredibily racist. How is that at all relevant?

My travel insurance would have taken care of this in the long run and my debit/credit cards tided me over in the meantime in addition to the cash that I carry and that's enough to see me through at least three weeks.

Hang on, the OP's ATM card was in his checked luggage with little spare cash, but, apparently, a seasoned traveller.

I am not here to take criticism but to communicate during the high season that perhaps choosing which airline you fly with and why is an important decision which can cause or relieve huge amounts of frustration.

Your bags can go astray with any airline. It's not exclusive to Qantas.

According to an agent I know, it is the 5th case he has dealt with personally this month of customers flying New Zealand to another destination via Australia. It appears this is much more a common occurrence than one would expect of a "4 star" airline.

Thank you Harrry,

I had thought that might be the case but was unaware of the 14 day claim period. I will proceed toward this with urgency then it seems. I'm glad someone is in the know. Also interesting about the Montreal Convention, as I know how much of the minimum statutory requirements work however have never come across the actual documentation - I have been enlightened.

For those of you who enjoy criticising me for having my ATM in my check in, it was partial arrogance but I have been travelling on TG for the past 6 years and never once had an issue with anything, not even a delay. This I guess is why some might see my post as an overreaction, because I assumed that nothing would go wrong, and that if it did it would be corrected in under 24 hours. I expected the same service, care and proactive approach which I had been provided on the other carrier time after time in the past. I have learnt but have also learnt enough to know which airline is more likely to cause me frustration by not communicating with me any issues until it is too late, not taking care of the safety of myself or my loved ones, and not ensuring that I am safe and well after an event has happened whereby I am left high and dry as a result of their actions.

One poor British lass was in a singlet and jandals, with all her travel plans and travellers cheques in her luggage.. the staff told her they couldn't help and that she needed to leave so they could speak to other passengers. She had nowhere to go, nowhere to sleep.. this is not the mark of a 4 star national carrier of one of the most up and coming democracies in the world.

TG charges $58/kg for excess luggage and does not offer any discounts for prebooking

Qantas charges $30/kg and gives 30%discount for prebooking.

am I reading this correctly?

The excess luggage charge is $58 per kilo with TG ?

QANTAS is $30 per 1 kilo extra?

... w00t.gif

Also check out Singapore Airlines prices next trip. Also Cathay PAcific (Hong Kong) have some decent prices often, but never super cheap, and they treat you well.

Go Via Singers or HK.

I would dread 4 hour wait in BKK (transit) or most Australian or American airports. If I had 10 hours to kill in Singapore Airport (Changi) I honestly would not care one little bit.

If I really had to I would fly Qantas, but I would pay more to go via Singapore. I tried Scoot to Oz recently, it really was not good. Ended up would have been cheaper on Thai !!!!

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

TG charges $58/kg for excess luggage and does not offer any discounts for prebooking

Qantas charges $30/kg and gives 30%discount for prebooking.

am I reading this correctly?

The excess luggage charge is $58 per kilo with TG ?

QANTAS is $30 per 1 kilo extra?

... w00t.gif

Yep and here is a funny part, when i raised the issue with TG and been flying with them for years the answer was "Ok, good to know"

Yes with TG its $58 per kilo with Qantas its $30 per kilo AND if you pre book with Qantas you get 30% discount, ie $21 per kilo.

TG does not give any discount on pre booking. or even has pre booking*excess luggage that is)

• Like 1

4* airline? In cattle class?

Your experience is a minor inconvenience, OP. Just don't travel with them again if it's the end of the world and your wife has to use her sister's soap because you won't buy a replacement for her on principle. Blimey.

My wife would smother me while I was asleep for my haughty principles.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Under the Warsaw Convention (which applies here), if you are travelling to your country of residence they do not need to pay compensation for delayed baggage.

Link: http://www.mcgill.ca/files/iasl/warsaw1929.pdf

Under the Warsaw Convention (which applies here), if you are travelling to your country of residence they do not need to pay compensation for delayed baggage.

See article 19. This is not qualified.

I see no mention of travelling to country of residence.

Thank you for the link to prove the airline was wrong. She had a Thai passport but was not travelling to her country of residence. She resides in NZ/

• Like 1

Thank you for the link to prove the airline was wrong. She had a Thai passport but was not travelling to her country of residence. She resides in NZ/

did she show her supporting documents that proves her NZ residency status ?

Edited by Spoonman

did she show her supporting documents that proves her NZ residency status ?

Yes, that was fairly easy.. her residency visa is slapped into her passport. She is rather proud of it.

I know I am a pain in the butt for my "principles", I know I could have ignored the issues as they were not major in the eyes of some, but issues ignored grow bigger and bigger, because industry gains the idea that it is OK to undertake certain behaviours. You are right, I will not be travelling with them, and wanted to share my story with other potential flyers this high season.

• 2 weeks later...

You may not have to worry about Qantas if they cant get their act together. They may be going down the same track as Holden and finish up as the national carrier. Qantas are in financial trouble and asked the Federal gov for assistance. The PM Tony Abbott basically told them they will receive the usual assistance from the Federal Gov, but the management, staff and unions will have to now work out their own financial affairs as there will be no extra handout from the Gov.

Yes that is correct, it is country of residence. Passport has nothing to do with it. I have 3 passports I use depending on the country I wish to visit.

Thai law has nothing to do with compensation, compensation is between the carrier and the passenger. It all depends on where you purchased your ticket as to what laws are in place to cover you.

It is incumbent on Qantas to get your wife's bag to her. They stuffed it up and they should fix it, regardless of where you live.

I stopped flying Qantas about 20 years ago, even back then they made you feel like you should be privileged just to be allowed to be on their plane, and the trolley dollies are way too up themselves and can't really be bothered actually serving people.

Oh and to top it off, they have now asked the Oz govt to give them money to assist against competition from other airlines. Yet only a few years ago they were very fast to make it near impossible for any new domestic airline to operate in Australia.

A big thumbs down to them in every way.

But the one thing they did have in the old days was an unblemished record regarding safety. But with all the cutbacks that's gone out the window as well now, so there isn't much reason to choose them any more. Still prefer Singapore airlines in this region