PM Yingluck dismisses possibility of military coup

webfact

PM Yingluck Dismisses Possibility Of Military Coup
By Khaosod Online

yl.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has hinted that she was willing to dissolve Parliament for the sake of the "happiness of the Thai people".

But she rejected to follow the demands of the anti-government protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban, who called for the establishment of a "People′s Council" to transform the country to what Mr. Suthep describes as an "absolute democracy".

Ms. Yingluck made the remarks during a press conference earlier today, amidst the ongoing attempts by the anti-government protesters to unseat the government. A number of governmental offices and Ministries have been occupied by the protesters.

She insisted the government is not clinging to power at any cost. "We are ready to invite experts in laws and other fields, including ordinary people, to find solutions for our country, and to return the happiness to the people".

As for the demands of a "People′s Council" issued by the People′s Committee For Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD), Ms. Yingluck said while she is open to all suggestions from the protesters, they must be within the boundary of the laws and the Constitution.

"Mr. Suthep′s demands cannot be supported by any laws," said Ms. Yingluck, "But let me stress that we are still open to all channels to solve the problem together".

Asked whether she fears the military would launch a coup against her government, as they had done so against her brother, former PM Thaksin Shinawatra in 2006, Ms. Yingluck replied that the 2006 military coup has led to violent confrontations and suffering which she believes no one wants to see such tragedy repeating itself.

The Prime Minister also claimed she is willing to consider resignation or House dissolution if the protesters agree to leave the governmental buildings and disperse their rallies.

When a reporter asked her how would she justify her resignation to the people who had elected her into office, Ms. Yingluck said, "whatever that can bring back happiness to the Thais, that is the majority voice of the people".

She added, "If the country can return to peace, I am willing to do it".

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE5UazROell6Tmc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-12-03

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is she now saying that "if the people" want her out (resign) and House dissolution, she will comply? I thought to date she quite categorically stated that neither of these things will happen?

She is repeating since the beginning of the protests she is ready to resign and dissolute House, if that's what needed for peace. But not willing to fulfill Suthep's (out of the world) requests.

She's the only one who are doing steps to keep Thailand in peace, Suthep is throwing benzine on a well lit fire.

I wonder: could they both reach her brother in Dubai and do a big favor to Thailand?

• Like 2

Of course there won't be a military-coup, the Big Boss has Skyped his Defense Minister, with instructions to that effect ! facepalm.gif

At this point the way to take the heat out of the protests would IMO be to dissolve the house & schedule an election, this would remove the 'Thaksin regime' which is the object of Suthep's demands, and make it more certain that the 'suspended' Amnesty-Bill can't suddenly reappear to be voted-through, which would further turn down the heat and remove some of Suthep's support.

It would also keep things legal within the Constitution, as (I am fairly sure) elections are still legal, aren't they ?

PM-Yingluck has got this message, now she has to actually deliver on her offer, and also square it with the Big Boss.

• Like 1

"I run the country on my own without listening to my brother."

Does anybody know of a PM uttering what is considered to be lies by most of the country and retaining their position?

Edited by JRSoul

At least she is looking at peace and considering Thailand. I have had a lot of criticism for her over the past but not on this. Suthep will be rubbing his hands together as power and wealth are getting closer for him.

Not really sure how you see that. In the past 24 hours she flip flopped a few times already.

It's more like a statement to the hour in hope to jump out from the burning pan

Of course there won't be a military-coup, the Big Boss has Skyped his Defense Minister, with instructions to that effect ! facepalm.gif

At this point the way to take the heat out of the protests would IMO be to dissolve the house & schedule an election, this would remove the 'Thaksin regime' which is the object of Suthep's demands, and make it more certain that the 'suspended' Amnesty-Bill can't suddenly reappear to be voted-through, which would further turn down the heat and remove some of Suthep's support.

It would also keep things legal within the Constitution, as (I am fairly sure) elections are still legal, aren't they ?

PM-Yingluck has got this message, now she has to actually deliver on her offer, and also square it with the Big Boss.

In case you didn't notice, Yingluck offered this today but Suthep rejected it. He does not want elections, he want shis "people's council" installed as the sole ruling party. You have some catching up to do.

• Like 1

Is she now saying that "if the people" want her out (resign) and House dissolution, she will comply? I thought to date she quite categorically stated that neither of these things will happen?

She is repeating since the beginning of the protests she is ready to resign and dissolute House, if that's what needed for peace. But not willing to fulfill Suthep's (out of the world) requests.

She's the only one who are doing steps to keep Thailand in peace, Suthep is throwing benzine on a well lit fire.

I wonder: could they both reach her brother in Dubai and do a big favor to Thailand?

So she'll resign and dissolve the House, but only if she can retain control and dictate what happens next? All for the sake and the love of the people?

Sure, but "the people" are the majority of Thailand. A small mob of 50,000 at most out of over 50 million Thais on a good Sunday afternoon is hardly "the people". It's a minority.

That's what a lot of people said in 2010.

(haven't I said that before?)

• Like 2

In case you didn't notice, Yingluck offered this today but Suthep rejected it. He does not want elections, he want shis "people's council" installed as the sole ruling party. You have some catching up to do.

I wasn't aware that PM Yingluck needs to have Suthep's approval, to dissolve Parliament, and call an election ? whistling.gif

• Like 1

Sure, but "the people" are the majority of Thailand. A small mob of 50,000 at most out of over 50 million Thais on a good Sunday afternoon is hardly "the people". It's a minority.

Welcome aboard Jack, and as I've posted elsewhere, do try to keep up with your figures.

I'm sure Fab4 and Gerry will be chuffed to bits to see such resounding support for their (crumbling) position...

Does anybody know of a PM uttering what is considered to be lies by most of the country and retaining their position?

Where is your proof that this is a lie?

The frequent admission that Thaksin skypes into cabinet meetings. Or do you believe that they turn of the speakers and leave him to rabbit away to himself?

If Thaksin makes ONE business decision or share transaction based on knowledge gained from cabinet meetings, is he not guilty of insider trading?

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has hinted that she was willing

You're such a tease, with your hints on willingness!

I think I really like the new Yingluck, with her teasey hints on willingness. I could enjoy a latte with somebody like her.

Makes a nice change from the *steamroller our wishes through govt while I go on holiday* stuff of previous years.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla

Yes, many US Presidents have said such lies and retained their positions, including Bush the Lesser, Clinton, Nixon -- and add quite a few Tony Blairs in there too.

• Like 2

The frequent admission that Thaksin skypes into cabinet meetings. Or do you believe that they turn of the speakers and leave him to rabbit away to himself?

If Thaksin makes ONE business decision or share transaction based on knowledge gained from cabinet meetings, is he not guilty of insider trading?

Again, where is the proof of that? Can you please show it? I only see your words, no proof.

Again, where is the proof of that? Can you please show it? I only see your words, no proof.

Here. Other peoples words.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/world/asia/thaksin-shinawatra-of-thailand-wields-influence-from-afar.html?_r=0

• Like 1

Jack, it is common knowledge ! there are hundreds of proofs out there. Water is wet, most grass is green, and bruv is essentially running the country !

Look at the whole picture, not just the part you want to see.

No need for anybody to go the trouble of amassing the numerous entries form the PTP members & politicians and more who have openly stated that they regularly listen to him / get instructions from him on Skype and by telephone.

I said 'listen to him' quite deliberately. I very much doubt it would be a two way conversation.

Yes, many US Presidents have said such lies and retained their positions, including Bush the Lesser, Clinton, Nixon -- and add quite a few Tony Blairs in there too.

That doesn't mean it's OK!

Jack needs a bigger television scorecard. wink.png

Of course there won't be a military-coup, the Big Boss has Skyped his Defense Minister, with instructions to that effect ! facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif alt=facepalm.gif width=24 height=18>

Not quite as simple as that.

It seems, IMHO, what he really wants is a set up whereby there is a bridge to a new situation where new elections would be held under a framework which seriously cuts vote buying (all forms, including outrageous rice schemes etc.), and which brings a lot of new untainted younger and clever blood into the parliament and also stops nepotism and appointment of totally unqualified people to positions which should be formulating and implementing balanced policies etc., which are fair for all Thais and which take Thailand forward.

Quite some wish-list and I hope he makes some serious ground on all of these points.

Anything less means a waste of the efforts of the protestors.

• Like 1

Jack needs a bigger television scorecard. xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

thumbsup.gif

Oddly enough...every prior military coup d'etat that has happened in LOS was denied before

the actual event happened....so what's new YL? me thinks you should stop being concerned

about the horses & get back to work loading the cart.

Edited by sunshine51