Making Ham/Bacon For Christmas

Oink

I fancy a go at making my own ham/bacon for Christmas. Only ingredient I have not been able to locate is Sodium Nitrite to cure the meat.

(Not to be confused with Sodium Nitrate, I want to cure it not blow it up).

Does anyone know who stocks it in Pattaya.

• Like 1

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I am just surprised that it took so long for someone to jump on that one. Good Pic. clap2.gif

I got Indasia Nitrite Brine Salt 0.8%/0.9% from Royal Exquisite Food Ltd. in Kao Noi 1kg/101 Baht. You get a product specification sheet with it, but no instructions. Not exactly sure what to do with it. The woman in the shop said "use little bit" Do you just cover the meat with it, and repeat daily?

As it is only 0.8% I guess you use it straight from the pack without diluting with additional salt?

Does anyone have experience of this stuff?

Thanks

Oink.

Normal pink salt is 1 nano2 to 15 nacl. For a typical brine cure mix 42 g pink salt with 350 g salt and 175 sugar. Dissolve in 4 lif water. Immerse ham in brine once its cooled and turn every day for 7 days

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I am just surprised that it took so long for someone to jump on that one. Good Pic. clap2.gif

I got Indasia Nitrite Brine Salt 0.8%/0.9% from Royal Exquisite Food Ltd. in Kao Noi 1kg/101 Baht. You get a product specification sheet with it, but no instructions. Not exactly sure what to do with it. The woman in the shop said "use little bit" Do you just cover the meat with it, and repeat daily?

As it is only 0.8% I guess you use it straight from the pack without diluting with additional salt?

Does anyone have experience of this stuff?

Thanks

Oink.

When I make mine I put....... forget it.

This is the recipe I use. It is easier to explain this way.

I had home made ham and a couple of eggs for lunch today and it was scrummy.

Bills cooked ham no molasses v03.doc